Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• dbauerdbauer Posts: 416
    the pilot 3rd row being easier to operate may have to do with your height. im rather short, and cant pull the pilot seats up from the back at all.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    The fog lights not coming on unless the headlamps are on is by law, not Nissan quirkiness. In fact, you can be ticketed for having fog lamps on without the headlamps, but only in North America. It the rest of the world, fog lamps are just that. They are used when it's foggy and headlamps would blind you due to reflection in the fog. So blame our governments, not Nissan.

In fact, a proper fog lamp setup has the two front lamps and a third rear lamp. The rear is very bright and red (to ensure you don't run into a car you can't see due to the fog). In that case, it's illegal to have the fogs on unless it's foggy as the rear lamp is, well, very bright. ;-)

As for the interior lights dimming too soon, my 2001 LE is ok that way, but I am unimpressed by the key lighting. When I lean over to see the key slot I shadow the interior light on the key switch. They need to install a key switch light like most cars have!
  • Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a 95 Nissan Pathfinder XE-V6. Vehicle is in great condition, clean engine and interior, original paint in excellent condition and power everything. Has 118,000 miles and may need exhaust soon (I saw sign of rotting) and will need tires within the year. Dealer is asking $4,000. I really like it and am considering taking it for a test drive. Was 95 a good year for the Pathfinder? Is this a good deal?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Scott
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    Based on my considerable experience with Nissan/Datsun, my present PF ('04) and reading a lot of stuff here and elsewhere, for $4K, you can't go wrong.

A set of tires & an exhuast is what -- $800? Three (well, two most of the time) car payments in today's world.

Buy it -- and hold it. You have to maintain it too, but for what a car payment (or worse yet, a lease payment) costs, you're way ahead.

Enjoy.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,995
    Time to buy tinfoil stock?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have the same problem with the CD player in my 2003 Pathfinder. It is the Clarion (Bose) 6 disc in-dash player. I had it replaced and the replacement is already skipping. My Nissan dealer told me that this is a chronic problem with these CD players. However, I spoke to Nissan and they do not yet admit the problem (nor have they issued a recall). My concern is that they keep replacing with the same model CD player that is apparently too sensitive to be in a car (or SUV) and that eventually I'm stuck with the bill as we are beyond the warranty period.

If we file these complaints with Nissan (1-800-NISSAN1), then eventually they will have to admit that there is a problem. I heard from a stereo dealer that Bose is investigating the problem, however that may not help those who already are stuck with the current malfunctioning model...
  • A few weeks ago on a very cold winter morning I noticed that when I started my SUV the orange 4wd light came and stayed on. At the same time all the green lights on the 4 wheel icon turned off. I did not have it on auto 4wd or anything like that. Since then everytime I start my vechicle the rear tires on the icon light up as they should but then disappear when the orange 4wd light comes on. This usually happens after approximately 5-7 mins of driving. The orange light stays on until the vechicle is turned off.

I've disconnected my battery thinking I could reset the computer but still the orange light comes on. I'd rather get advice as to what is wrong before going to the dealer, I my last experience there wasn't a good one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • I am going to tow a 2000lbs trailer with my 2003 Pathfinder (4WD) from east coast to west coast. The planned trip is about 5-day/2500mi, 99% interstate highway. I had Uhaul class III tow hitch installed. But my SUV does not have an additional transmission cooler. The trailer does not have its own brake system. The total weight of the trailer should be around 2000lbs when loaded. I haven’t done towing a whole lot; maybe some folks here could share your experience.

1. Is long distance towing a threat to the longevity of my Pathfinder?

2. Should I install a transmission cooler? I prefer not to, and I won’t drive faster than 70mi/hour when towing.

3. Should I turn off over-drive all the time? When should I turn on/off O/D?

I appreciate your inputs. Once the trip is done, I'll follow-up my experience and how my pathfinder hold up.

k.b.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,995
    Check out Towing tips for SUVs too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dbauerdbauer Posts: 416
    1. not necessarily

2. not necessarily

3. not on the highway

give yourself extra distance for stopping, and extra distance for accelerating, and PLEASE stay in the right lane as much as you can.

also keep in mind that, if your engine gets hot, your xmission is as well...keep an eye on that when you go through the mountains.
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    IMHO,

Your 2003 will do fine. It is rated to tow 5000lbs. It already has a transmission cooler OEM. I towed with my 01LE pulling 4000lbs Uhaul (8'x12' I think, surge brakes included) very safely within Texas. Albeit, not as long as your distance but with half the weight I think you are good.

Just change your fluids (oil, ATF, diff.) before and after your trip. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Castrol Synthetic blend 10w-30. Make sure you ATF is topped off. That will be the most stressed fluid on your trip.

Using O/D is fine. Turn off only when it fluctuates too frequently. i.e, going up steep hills. You prob won't even feel your trailer most of the time. You got plenty of torque.

Get used to towing a trailer, especially if the trailer does not have it's own brakes. Early braking and safe distance from vehicles ahead are essential.

If your rear end sags, try loading cargo area with as little weight as possible so it can support the tonque weight of trailer without rear end sag. Move heavy items to trailer if possible. Pathies rear end sags easily.

and...follow the UHaul towing manual they posted on their website.

Good luck!!
  • I just bought a 2001 pathfinder LE, and less than 200 miles after buying it, it has the err2 problem. I looked into replacements, and nothing is available, since it is Bose. I spent most of the day doing research on it yesterday, and the best option I found was taking it to the dealer for repair. The quoted me at $150 to send it in and have it repaired. The service manager said it has a 12 month warranty after it is repaired, and they have never had a second problem after they are repaired. Does anyone know any more on this?
  • Pathfinder keys. My 2001 pathfinder only came with 1 key. I have tried both a locksmith and the dealer, and they are both unable to program any more than 1 key for the vehicle. Has anybody elso heard of this?
  • I have 2...came that way. 2001 PF LE. Same with my original 2000 PF LE.
  • I also received two keys and two key fobs with my 03 PF. However, after a couple months of ownership, I was looking under the driver's seat, and guess what I found ? Another key !!! It looked identical to the ones I received. So, I tried it out. It unlocked the doors, turned on the accessories, but would NOT start the engine. So on my first visit to the dealership, I told them about this third key. They said it was a spare key, I said I have a second key. They said, oh well, just keep it. They were as surprised as I was. I'll have to pay if I want it programmed to start my engine, but I think this key was misplaced or lost when cars were being shipped & handled. Maybe someday I'll try this key in a large parking lot on two year old Nissans, who knows...I might win a car !!! hahahahaha
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    The vehicle immobilizer can handle up to six keys as I recall (codes, actually). If your dealer can't figure out how to program, better find a real dealer who can! The dealer has to cut the key to fit the lock, then program the immobilizer to accept the chip in the key.

The key brian found has not been programmed into the immobilizer. It takes just a few minutes, and you should take all your keys in at the same time so if they bump one out of the computer they can put it back (when programming them the new key replaces the first one programmed once you exceed the number of keys possible (6).

Be aware a new key is not inexpensive! Last I heard they were upwards of $50.
  • tex5tex5 Posts: 1
    I got my Black Pathfinder LE on Saturday evening. Lovely SUV!! Sunday with the family in the vehicle, I too felt the rear bottom out. Quite often, as well. Even at highway speeds on undulating surfaces it would give you a sharp kick in the backside just going over shallow dips. Even one up, under acceleration the rear end really squats, the more you depress the accelerator, the more it squats. Maybe bad shocks or rear spring rates too low? Brake pedal also feels spongy. We have a 2003 Z and I hope the Pathfinder doesn't have the same teething problems - brake pad dust on wheels, failing front hubs, feathering front tires - alignment, spline 'pop' from the rear end, window guide grease streaking, paint chipping, windshield pitting, etc.
    You are right pathstar,

Keys have unique RFID and must be accepted into anti-theft system. I tried the program sequence with the dealer over the phone once and it was tricky. Almost got it to work. Had to ultimately come in to get it done. I will try to get the instructions from another web site and paste it here. I hope it still exists.

Ok, researched and it is a dealer thing to do. Not a DIYer job, See link below:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2003/NTB03- -031.htm

My bad, it was my key fob that dealer tried to help over the phone. RFID Keys need the dealer to program into system..
    Try the link below. I hope it fixes. Good luck.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Common/CD%20Player%20Error%- 20Code.htm

Had to get mine exchanged under warranty.