Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Is the rear window deflector easy to install? does it require drilling?
    will it help reduce wind noise? or does it increase the wind noise?

Thank you
  • The truck made it out unscathed (thank God - the truck was three days old and I would have had to face my wife's wrath). I was able to gently "land" it in a snow drift on the shoulder of the road - probably wasn't going more than 5mph by then. I am concerned a little about the tires but I guess the best defense against winter conditions is to drive like my grandma - its just not as fun.
    Good point on the 4WHI. The problem for me on that day is out in the country the roads were completely snow covered but when I drove through a couple of towns the roads became partially covered or slushy. Just have to remember to switch between the two.
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    Fellas, Sorry I haven't posted until now. been very busy lately.

I contacted my Nissan dealer this past week (Mon or Tues) and they still have not seen my replacement CD player. It's been 2 weeks (coming up on 3 now though) since I took it in. Mine was also giving me the ERR 2 message.

I wasn't even loading a cd when this happened to me (as I recall anyway) I was simply ejecting all of the 6 discs that were in the changer at that time...then I was going to replace them with 6 others. I got 3 of them out....the other 3 are still stuck/jammed in there somewhere?.

My dealer didn't give me any crap...and he didn't mention anything about me paying for the replacement cd player that had to be ordered either. He better not either!

I'm still toying with adding an in dash DVD player to my PF....but right now, I still think they are way over-priced. The one I like is an Alpine unit that retails now for $999....and at that price, there are a few other things I would rather have right now anyway. Still want to do this soon though:) I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with my replacement cd player, whenever it shows up!

Also: My build date was either NOVEMBER 2000 or DECEMBER 2000, I believe it's NOVEMBER, but I'd need to go verify that on the vehicle again to be 100% sure.

The last 4 digits of my VIN are: 3694

I don't know much about VIN #'s guys. What can one tell with these numbers?

Other than the CD problem, my PF has performed flawlessly since purchase (January 6th)...already over 4100 miles, but we have done alot of traveling already this year. Those miles should start to level off now that all my vacation time has been used up, unfortunately!!!!!

Again, sorry I couldn't post until today....I'll try to keep up from now on:)

mbunting
  • lofquist,

I think here in Colorado the 75w-90 gear oil should be just fine. Thanks again for your replay!.-AW
  • Well three hours later and being shuffled between Nissan Consumer Affairs and Clarion Consumer Affairs, I've finally got Nissan to replace my CD changer. What a bunch of BS! This was an example of bureaucracy at its worst. When I originally called Nissan Consumer Affairs, they blew me off to speak to Clarion. After I got Clarion to tell me that my CD changer should simply be replaced under warranty, (as I originally contended with my local dealer) my dealer tells me that he has also spoken to Clarion and still believes I am responsible for it. Like Sandanton, my commercial CD got the error message when I was attempting to eject it. How can you misload a CD when you have listened to it? After several more calls and being put on hold numerous times, Nissan Consumer Affairs finally is stepping up to the plate. I am still furious just thinking of the major runaround they gave me all because my local dealer produced some kind of "bulletin" from Nissan after they couldn't get the CD out of the changer. I am writing Nissan Consumer Affairs tomorrow to complain about all the jacking around I received in the last two days. My local dealer tells me it will be two weeks before I see my new CD player. Stand up for your rights folks! I hope no one else has had a similar experience. Despite this incident, I still love my PF.
  • My local dealer tells me there is now a new "bulletin" from Nissan/Clarion regarding the 6 disc changer woes. It appears that owners are not acutually breaking them by loading the cds too early. The new theory is that owners are forgetting to direct all air vents up to the ceiling and setting the temperature controls on exactly 70 degrees F. (I guess those without auto climate control just have to guess) and loading while depressing the panic button on your key FOBS. By not following this proceedure, we are in violoation of our warranty and will be responsible for the replacement of not only our CD player but also the poorly built clarion 6 disc changer that belongs to the dealer's daughter as well.
    Lets not let big business dup us on this one. Keep the word out. If you are out and see other PF owners tell them about this crap and to not to fall for it either. It is clearly a quality problem. Why can't bose build their own changers?
  • Bose doesn't "make" any car audio equipment, they give design advise to the Nissan engineers and then the engineers get quotes from different companies that do make car audio stuff. In the case of the Pathfinder, it seems that Clarion makes the radio and CD changer. This is similar to a company called Monsoon that you see in GM and VW vehicles
  • In the storm that hit the NE yesterday, there I was in my trusty Pathy. It was a dark and stormy night! HA!

Seriously though, this was the first time that I travelled 60 miles (loop) in 4WD HI and it was so much fun! The gas mileage wasn't that great (no duh!) but the stability on the highway was great!

ABS issue: When I was close to home, I was going down a hill that was now slick with ice and wet slow. I was crawling down the hill about 15 mph when I remembered reading that at low speeds, ABS doesn't click on. So as I squeezed the brake, the rear end proceeded to continue down the hill whilst the front slowed and then stopped. Well, that as an interesting experiment (no thought to be so by my GF!). Does anyone know that with the 4WD HI engaged is the reason why the ABS doesn't kick in at low speeds? So for those travelling in slick weather, even if you are crawling keep you distance from the car in front just in case.

I have never seen so many accidents and abandoned cars on rt 80 before!

"enjoy the ride!"
  • In November I purchased an 01 Pathfinder LE, what I thought to be a quality truck. Since November I have been back to the dealer 4 separate times to have the cooling system bled because the heat was not working. On one of the occasions a pipe in the cooling system actually exploded while I was driving home from work, lucky for me I was close to the dealer and able to just drive it in. The only problem was the part that was needed was back ordered and the dealer had the truck for 10 days. Each time I took the truck in because the heat was not functioning I was told by Nissan service, the system was pressure tested and no leaks were found but there was air in the system. I am currently looking into Lemon law to get a refund on the vehicle. Hopefully no one else is having similar issues with the heat.
  • Your VIN Numbers stand for the following: The first 3 characters of the VIN are the World Manufacturers ID, it identifies the Nation of Origin, Manufacturer, Make and type of vehicle. The second section has 5 characters and is the Vehicle Description Section, this identifies the attributes of the vehicle, model, body style, engine, etc. The 3rd section is located after the check digit, it is eight characters in length and is the Vehicle ID section, it represents the vehicle model year, the 2nd character is the plant of manufacture, and the last 6 characters present the sequential production number.
  • Can anyone give me a ball park figure on what a 01 PA SE (240 hsp), no leather, will cost me? Also How is the ride? Reliability? Also I read that the 240 hsp does not put out as much power as you would think? Any comments?
  • I have a 97 Nissan PF SE. If a brake abruptly, my wheels are locking up on me and i am sliding thru intersections. I have an appointment to get it checked. Any one out there know if this could be a problem with the ABS module? Also, any one else out there have a costguard service warranty contract? I got a better price out of the area and now no one in my area, who is costguard, wants to honor it. Seems, since they didn't make any money selling me the contract, they don't get their money from costguard quick enough - sometimes 90 day turnaround. Thanks - Rob
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    For those of you who have installed the Air Lift springs to supplement your rear coils on 96-01 Pathfinders, I have some questions:
    1) Which kit did you get? (Airlift1000, or "Outback Special" which includes Load Controller II)
    2) Did it include the compressor?
    3) Where is the compressor mounted?
    4) Where is the air pressure gauge located?
    5) What's involved with the installation?
    6) If no compressor, how do you adjust or monitor the spring air pressure?
    7) Who has the best price for the required kit?
    8) Who did the installation?

http://www.airliftcompany.com/outback.htm

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, since I'm growing weary of bottoming out my rear springs. Thanks.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    is starting in 5 minutes time. See you there!
    /direct/view/.eea61db

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • My first post. I have a 2000 pathy (yeah, I know, should have waited but I still love it) w/7000 miles. Service engine light came on. Has anyone had this problem and what was the cause? Also, is there an internet site to purchase the service manual or cd? Appointment with Pathy Dr. in two days.
  • Glad you and your PF are okey. Everytime I think about my incidence, I can still taste the scare-to-death fear and frustration. For god's sake, there was a 18-wheeler right next to me.

Oh, well... like one of my friends said:" The SUV thing and AWD system often give drivers a false sense of security in extreme conditions", which I cannot argue about.

Ever since switching to 4W Hi during heavy snow, and driving slowly, the PF behaves much tamed. I am also looking into changing tires to Michelin LTX M/S.

Good luck!
  • Jambazi's FAQ is an excellent reference for PF owners.

Regarding how to remove dealer's stick or glue, I have been using Da Kine's base cleaner (for skis and snowboard) and it works great in terms of getting rid of glue. Just spray and wipe it off immediately. You can get it from any Ski/snowboard shop.
  • I wanted to share my happiness with all the other proud PF owners. I bought a Sahara Beige LE 4X4 with all options except TOWHITCH and NAVIGATION SYSTEM. I think I got a fairly good deal. I paid an $32800 OutoftheDoor price for the vehicle in N.Virginia.
  • I'm looking to purchase a fully loaded 4WD Pathfinder LE (which includes the all mode 4WD/AWD system found in the Infinity Q4) in Massachusetts (with pretty much all the options except for the Navigation System and the Entertainment System). I test drove one yesterday and loved it. The MSRP on the one I drove was 35,500, and the dealer told me invoice was 32,400 (I think from my research, that this invoice price is fairly accurate). Their initial offer on the sales price was 33,700. I think there is some negotiating room. Can anyone let me know what they think a good price for this vehicle is in my area?

Also, can anyone give me their thoughts on the all mode 4WD/AWD system (particularly in snow and rain) and their thoughts on the overall reliability of the 2001 Pathfinders.

Thanks
  • rman2rman2 Posts: 6
    I am scheduled to pick up same vehicle tomorrow (everything on it except Nav.,ent. sys. and tow hitch). MSRP is $34873/invoice $31611 + $500 advertising fee. My "out the door" price is $32100. You do need to know that Nissan is offering 3.9 fin. for 60 mos. in addition to $500 rebate (supposedly til end of Feb.). I think you can do better.
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    I picked up a loaded (minus NAV & ENT Systems and Tow Hitch) 2001 Pathfinder LE w/ AWD on January 6th for $31,000.00 + TTL, in Maryland.

I think both of you guys (dawkdd & rman2) could probably do better than the prices you quoted above ($33,700 & $32,100). I have the exact same vehicle and paid $31K out the door. If your local dealer can't get the price somewhere near the $31K mark, I would look elsewhere.

This is all just my opinion, but, the Pathfinder LE is still worth it at $32K or $34K (I love mine!), just trying to keep a little extra $$$ in your pockets. Maybe you could split the difference with me?

Good luck..keep us informed.....
  • I'm in Mass. too and got my '01 LE (loaded except for NAV, ent. & tow hitch) for $31,500 out the door. This was back in Dec., prior to the $500 rebate so you should be able to get in one for $31k. Clay wasn't willing to deal too much (internet sales request) and I didn't want to buy from Quirk again --leased a 99.5 PF from them and didn't like their customer I don't care. Got mine through the internet salesman at www.marlboro-nissan.com
  • I picked up the Swifters as you had suggested. Have you tried using this on the guage cluster lens cover? I don't want to scratch it. Thanks.
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    Looks like you "enjoyed the ride" backwards down the hill!! The main reason
    the back end like to overtake the front is the LSD. When one tire stops turning,
    hits ice,snow,ect they both stop turning!! Or going up the hill one tire spins they
    both spin and around you go. This has happend to me twice. Next time NO LSD.
    PS: the ABS works above 6 mph in all conditions except driving backwards.
    Cheers
  • Thanks to everyone who responded. I just purchased the Pathfinder LE with everything but the Navigation and Entertainment Systems. I got a price of $500 over invoice. I'm pretty satisfied with the price. One thing to keep in mind is that the early 2001 models cost less than the later 2001 models because only the later 2001 models have the All Mode 4WD/AWD (I found this out because I almost purchased the LE that the owner had used for the last month until we figured out it didn't have the All Mode. The Invoice was almost $1000 less than a similarly equipped LE with the ALL Mode). I'm not sure exactly how much the cost will be (as the owner is tracking down the exact color combination that I want), but it will be about 32,500 - 33,000. I've seen the dealer's holdback and the invoice from the dealer's own paperwork, and this matches up with the invoice numbers I've seen on kbb.com (sorry edmunds, so I think that, at least in Massachusetts, you won't do much better on late-model 2001's. Of course someone will think I was "taken," but, if you do, please don't burst my bubble.
  • Hi all,
    I wanted to first thank you all for the great information! I was jones'n for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for a long time, but the more informed I became, the more I realized that I I didn't want to spend the rest of my days in the service department. That lead me to drive other vehicles and the Pathfinder was a slam-dunk. Here's the deal I just struck after about three intense weeks at carsdirect.com, autobytel, three local dealers and two out of state dealers:

2001 Pathfinder LE, 4X4, Burnt Cherry, AWD, Leather, Tow, Navigation and all the small stuff (mats, mouldings, etc...). MSRP: 37,241. Invoice: 33,638. Local dealer 1: invoice, but then hit me with $560 ad fees. Local dealer 2: $500 over invoice, but only had one with the additional $1300 ent system. Local dealer 3: invoice, but couldn't find one...would order after the 3.9% financing is likely over. Out of state dealer 1: $800 over invoice, but would not commit to that in writing until I flew to Arizona (um, what?)! Out of state dealer 2: $5000 discount off MSRP=$32,241! That's $1,397 under invoice and NO advertizing fees or hidden charges...Just $195 TTL. They had the color I wanted BURNT CHERRY and the pricing still has me shaking my head. They were outstanding to deal with as well. I know...pleasant, honest, respectful treatment from car sales(wo)men...say it ain't so! I got the tip on this dealer from a message on this list (most cool). e-mail me if you want more details...

Two more things:
    I have an intense spreadsheet detailing all the numbers on this deal including financing, taxes, downpayments and the deals I found. If anyone wants a copy, just shoot me an e-mail. It might help you in the haggling process.

Also, I prefer the look of the SE on the outside (Titanium fender flares, step rails and bumper covers). Anyone want to swap these parts with those from my LE? I'm in Los Angeles...

Thanks again all!!! Ron. . .
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    Those who know me probably expect now that everytime we discuss prices that I will chime in about going up to Canada to buy your PF. The exchange rate took a big jump in the last two weeks. An LE with AWD, leather and more will sell at the right dealers for well under $28,000. It's easy to save a bundle for a quick couple day trip. I'll keep this short - see post #2 above for some more info. I did it and I know 25 more who have since. Email me if you'd like some help.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • I bought a 2000 SE last June of "00" 25000 miles so far. I self installed the Air Springs. Nice afternoon job. The compressor went underneath in front of the spare and the gauge went under the dash below the steering wheel. These air springs make all the difference in the world it actually makes the Pathy more of a truck able to haul a load without he rear end scraping the ground. I have also installed a transmission cooler and changed out the differential & tranny fluids to Amsoil synthetic and changed to the K & N filtercharger, I upgraded the Stereo with Amp & sub installed a C/D changer and I'm on my merry way. I hate to say it but this vehicle has not seen the dealership since the day I bought it.
    Take care
    Bob
    S. Fl.
    No snow here!
  • To anyone who has changed the microfilter:
    Following the info posted here, I removed the 6 screws to remove the glovebox. Problem was, the glovebox still was hung up on the right side. Did not want to force it as I was not sure what I was getting into. Help!
  • Just had the unpleasant experience of surviving a 'spontaneous acceleration' incident in my 01 SE 4WD auto with 5000 miles. At a full stop, with brakes applied, the engine takes off to approx. 6000 rpm for 2-3 sec. while I do nothing but bear down on the brakes to keep from moving. Also, my other later reaction was to shift from Drive to Neutral which may have caused the engine (controller) to settle down to norm idle but things happened too fast for my adrenaline-infused brain to take copious notes on cause/effect. What's the deal? I'm not looking forward to tasking the dealer to recreate and solve this problem. I could not duplicate the problem myself. No, I was not applying gas and brake with one foot simultaneously. Nothing in NHTSA on this to date. Anyone else? Should the controller/computer latch an error code as result of this?