Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• danogdanog Posts: 318
    The number of bolts should be 11 not 8. As I posted earlier with the stripped bolts and holes due to an inept oil change facility! Be careful not to cross thread the bolts. This process cost me several hours of time and about $100!

Thanks,
    Dano
  • jambazijambazi Posts: 51
    Dano,

That's really interesting. My splash guard only has 8 bolts (I just went down and counted them again). There are two on the front edge, plus the plastic connector. One on either side, up high, and then four along the back edge. That's it.

Where are your 11 bolts positioned? I didn't even see any extra holes in the splash guard for 3 more bolts.

--Howie
  • wcrolandwcroland Posts: 26
    I have a 2001 LE and just installed deflector from www.weathertech.com, it looks great. Same deflector for 1999.5-2001. $58.95 including shipping.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Posts: 60
    I'm wondering if Nissan made any improvements to quiet the interior on the '01 model. On the 96-99 model there seemed to be quite a bit of 'road roar' at hwy speeds. Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks.
  • bob_pathbob_path Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a loaded 2001 LE Pathfinder. Is the drivers seat the only seat where the seat cushion lifts up and down. I have tried the passenger seat cushion to avail. The passenger seat moves front to back and reclines. While the drivers seat moves front to back, reclines, and the height of the seat cushion can be adjusted. Is this standard on all pathfinders?

Also I purchased the husky floor mats for the front and rear. The front mats were a perfect fit. The rear were a little difficult. The piece that fits over the 'hump' was too wide. I had to loosen the center console to slide the mat under.
    Has anyone encountered this with the husky liners?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    With the leather option, you get power 8-way adj for the driver and power 4-way on the front passenger. The 4 additional on the driver are up/down and tilt fwd/back. Both go straight fwd/back and seatback-recline up/down.

HTH,
    Tom
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    scottc3: There service light soon light might have to be reset at the dealer.
    On some the factory forgot to erase all the codes and some have been showing up.
    Steve
    Jambazi,
    Something is different. I too made sure by a recount and like yours I have one on either side, four on the back, but I have five connecting the front. Ours is an '01 LE automatic trans. Do you perform your oil changes? If not, you might have been shorted the bolts like I was by the oil change facility. When I re ordered the bolts from a local dealer I was able to see their exploded diagram showing the tech the bolts I needed. At first I told them I needed only 10 and they told me it took 11 according to their diagram. What could be different?
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Posts: 53
    Thank you lair. I am on my way tonight to the north for my Pf.5spd. E.
  • highuphighup Posts: 31
    Mine came on because after a fill-up, I failed to fully tighten the gas cap past the point when it starts to click. The computer triggered this light and will reset it after several cycles of non-event for that "loose" gas cap condition. A cycle in this case is a cold startup till the engine is fully warmed. My light came on a Sunday night and it turned off Thursday afternoon on the drive home from work.
  • linleylinley Posts: 12
    can anyone tell me about the heated seats. Do they really make a difference? Are they part of a particular package? It was unclear to me when I read different reviews and I didn't ever see it as part of an option you could choose. Thanks
    I went down again to take a closer look at the front edge. Definitely only 2 bolts, with one center plastic connector. I don't even see where 3 more bolts would fit. There are no holes in the frame, and while there are a couple of extra holes in the plastic splash guard, they are at a place which does not overlap the metal (they're off to the sides).

I've done every single oil change myself since the beginning (only 2 so far, actually), and I'm sure I didn't forget any bolts.

I have an '01 SE with manual trans and 4WD. I wonder which one of those variables, if any, would make the difference? Anybody else care to comment? I have half a mind to go to the Nissan dealership and start looking under all the Pathfinders now!

--Howie
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    I think the heated seats make a huge difference. I guess it depends where you live. I live in MT and CO and I cannot imagine having leather without them now. I can really feel mine. I have to turn them to low after awhile. It is not an option but comes standard with the "Leather option"
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    I noticed in the maintenance operation of the owner's manual that there is no timing belt mentioned for the VQ35DE.

For the VG33E, Nissan recommends that it be replaced at 105,000 miles.

Anybody knows if there is no timing belt for the 3.5 engines? If none, what is being used? I know that most of us are still enjoying our first few thousand miles but any information on this will be helpful in the future.
  • It's 10 after midnight and went down my 01'LE w/auto trans, PT 4WD to count the bolts (just trying to stop jambazi from going to the dealer) mine has 4 in the front with one center plastic connector, 4 in the back and 1 on each side for a total of 10 bolts.-AW
    filod,

I believe the VQ35DE has a timing chain and not a belt. There is no service interval for this, because it should last the life of the engine.

aspenwhite,

Thanks! Although now I have to go look at my car again to see if I really am missing two extra bolts...

--Howie
    Man we really are getting crazy over these details. When I checked last night it was 11:30cst. Never thought I'd be in the basement that late.
    The difference may be between the SE and the LE but most likely the 4wd may have something to do with it. It will not surprise me if it turns out that there was a change at the factory. 100% without a doubt ours has 11 bolts. And for the record, before I found the oil change facility didn't reinstall them all, only 4 will hold it up(2 in front and 2 in back).

Dano
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Sorry, can't help you on this one. I haven't found any reason to replace mine. Actually, I rarely use it, so I guess it really does not bother me.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I concur with li_sailor -- both observations are correct. And yes, a fully-equipped HL Limited (at least to LE wiht leather) may cost more than the PF LE. BTW, my next-door neighbor bought one and it really looks smaller than the PF. And because of the car market, they immediately got discounts for the HL. So, I don't think that heavy discounting is isolated on the PF alone.
  • I am thinking about buying a 2001 4WD pathfinder SE. I have a 21' boat (boat + trailer weigh about 4000+ lbs). Does anyone else regularly tow loads this heavy with the pathfinder? How well does it handle it?

I am also looking at a V8 Ford Explorer. The pathfinder and the ford have similar HP/torque numbers, but I wonder about real-world experience anyone has.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
  • jeepluvjeepluv Posts: 36
    I'm looking to replace a JGC, and the PF/QX4 are high on the list of possibilities. The Canadian Purchase Plan sounds interesting, and avoiding GST & PST even more so! Would you mind sharing name & contact info of the broker you used to deliver to the border & get through customs? I'd likely go through TO rather than Van, but it might be a good lead nonetheless. Thanks!
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    I only have my PF about 10 weeks and I haven't taken my boat/trailer on the highway but I've towed it twice for short distances and it has no problem...no engine straining, pretty quick response, no bottoming out of the rear suspension (though it does sink down a bit).

I have a 23.5ft sailboat (2750lbs, approx) and 1100 lb trailer for a total of close to 4000 lbs. I'm sure you know the PF's tow capacity is 5000 lbs (with auto trans)...this was a major parameter in my purchase decision. The real test will be pulling it up the ramp out of the water and I will try that in 2 weeks when I put her in the bay (I'll do a test right away to see how the PF handles it). I expect it to pull it up no problem...and I have 4LO to help if I need it (I'm sure I'll use it).
  • kelly47kelly47 Posts: 7
    We have a 98 pathfinder and have been thinking about trading up for something bigger and more comfortable on road trips.

I have never had any problems at all with the SUV but we have found the front seats to be very uncomfortable on long trips (3-4 hrs). The back seats are even worse.

We like the ride of the PF and the upgraded engine sounds great - have they made them any more comfortable?

We have an XE and had leather seats put into it on our 98.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    This is my first PF, 2001 LE. The engine is great! At least in the LE, the drivers seat has 8 way power seats with lumbar support, front passenger has 4 way power seat and lastly the backs seats recline. I'm sure this helps a bit. But then again, I don't do 3-4 hour trips in any car if I don't have to. I can say this much, the PF is heaven compared to my 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee...nice looking, but what a piece of dung that was.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    through the Rockies from Calgary, AB to Kelowna, B.C.

It was in my 99.5 PF LE which has essentially the same seats as my 2001 PF LE except it did NOT have the lumbar support. I am 6'1" and 195 lbs, so I am not comfortable in very many car seats for very long ( I also have occasional lower back pain).

With 2 one-hour stops on route to stretch the legs and back, I found it very comfortable driving for extended periods. I could have used a little more thigh support (seat cushion extended) and more aggressive lumbar support. It also tended to get a little "hot and clammy" on the back and butt after a few hours on the leather seats.

My 2001 has solved 2 of the problems with an adjustable lumbar support and perforated leather. Trips up to a few hours (Calgary - Banff, Calgary - Lake Louise) are a breeze. I'm looking forward to my first long trip in this truck.
  • HI everyone,
    I just wanted to update everyone on what's going on. Thank you also for responding.
    Basically, I called the sale manager yesterday and told him that if I was not satisfied with the way he fixed my car, I would not accept it and I expected him to order me a new one. He tried to BS me and tell me that it was too late because the contract was signed already, plus they had already registered the car and gotten new license plates for it. I told him that it didn't matter, I didn't really care what paper work was sent out already, if I was not happy, I would not accept it. He told me to call him back today.
    I called him up this morning and he basically told me that the car would not be available until next Monday, and because I couldn't decide until then if I would accept the car or not, he put a stop on the paperwork. So, now I just have to wait to get my money back! Oh well! Back to square one!
  • jci109jci109 Posts: 9
    What an A** that salesperson is. They can be so nice until the going gets tough. Definitely don't let this leave a bad taste in your mouth about buying the PF. He is just a bad apple..but I would go to a competing dealership and give them your story and see how much they will bend over backward to makes things right. Also, I would draft a letter of complaint to the dealership with the A** working at it and CC the Nissan corporation. OF course, that's my thought on the matter :-)
  • Hi all,

For what it's worth, I just finished a 4,400 mile trip around the county in 10 days in the 2001 Pathfinder LE with leather seats. Some days were in the 12-14 hour range with only stops for fuel and munchies. I have two things to say: 1. I was thrilled with how comfortable the seating was! and 2. Texas is a VERY big state!

Captain Ron. . .

PS: I have 8 bolts in the plastic guard and one plastic clip-thingie. 4 in the back, 1 on each side and 2 in the front. The plastic clip is dead-center in the front. I've changed the oil and filter twice already in 2 weeks!
  • Hi,

This looks like a knowledgeable and helpful group so here goes...

I am considering a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and Nissan Pathfinder but am leaning toward the PF due to reliability, safety, and competitive price.

My main questions concern deciding between the SE and LE.

Seems like you can equip an SE for slightly less than an LE though only the LE offers the All Mode 4WD.

Any major differences besides trim/exterior changes to consider?
    Is the ride quality any different?
    I like the styling of the SE but have heard concerns about an outdated 4WD that is not for fulltime use (such as the AWD on the LE). This is not really that big of an issue to me since I don't plan on doing this alot but it would get put to some use.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks!
  • lrichardslrichards Posts: 18
    Does any know what April will bring as far as dealer incentives/ lease rates on the SE? I am looking at an SE automatic with sunroof and was given a quote of $423 per month for a 3 year, 36,000 mile lease. That is with nothing down and just first payment and $400 security deposit due at signing. Being so close to the end of the month, might I get a better deal in April? Thanks for the info. I love this board!