Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello normp1,

You may want to check out the following website:

http://www.accessconnect.com/hiddenhitch.htm or just www.accessconnect.com. That is where I purchased my hitch and other accessories for my 2001 Pathfinder. That's the best price that I have found on the internet -- includes free shipping. Installation was very simple. It looks great and you will probably save $200 over dealer installed hitch.
  • the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Jeff,

I bought my PF across the border in Canada. All Canadian PFs include the power antenna as a standard option.

Brad
    I've been wanting to get a hidden hitch. Your link will come in handy. I have one question. On their site they list a class 3 hitch to fit 1996-2002 pathfinder. I guess, I was expecting them to have a 1996 - 2000, and another one for 2001 - 2002. I've seen from others posting that they recommend to be sure to get the 2001 version because it does a better job avoiding the tailpipe or muffler. I have the 2001. Do you have adequate clearance? What's your take?

Brad
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Hello the_gladiator,
    I do have a 2001 Pathfinder. I do not have any problems with tailpipe clearance. I have towed a small trailer numerous times, and I have never heard any noise from the hitch and the pipe. The hitch looks great.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have a Canadian 2001 XE Pathfinder, which does not have either a power antenna or a diversity antenna. I think you will find that you need a Canadian SE or an LE to get these.

I installed a Class 3 Hidden Hitch on my truck. I did it with help from a friend. You need to drop down the spare tire, and remove two tie down brackets, otherwise strickly a bolt on. No problems with rattles or clearance.
  • dbenjamin1dbenjamin1 Member Posts: 12
    woody/niki,
    do y'all have the tubular or square HH? Any difference(strength, fit,etc) between the two?
    It looks as if the wiring is a plug in/tap connection, so that shouldnt be an issue.
    Did you also install a trans cooler?
    thanks,
    db
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I find it odd that they list a Class III hitch for all Pathfinders from 1996-2002. Unless the design of the hitch was changed to accommodate the new exhaust route for '01 and later. I'd think a hitch that will have enough clearance for the '01 and '02 models will work on the older models.

I have an '01 LE and the class III hidden hitch I had installed didn't have enough clearance from the hitch frame and would clunk every time I'd hit a bump. It was very annoying. I ended up installing a strap that pulls the exhaust about an inch from the hitch and that has been working great for the last 8mos.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    >> Thanks Jon! Do you have the part number of the fan cover? <<

The number of the cover is 27227-0E002 1. This number is in the TSB and you should probably double-check.

But I just noticed that I transposed the number of the TSB - it's NTB99-071b (not 017!). I had mine done last Thurs on my 2001 and it does seem to eliminate the noise. If you are out of warranty the cover is only $12 I understand. Real easy to install.

-Jon
    I have only seen the round type hitches on the later model Pathfinders. I purchased a Reese trailer light wiring kit, which does not require cutting into the wiring assembly. It has the 4 pin plug.
  • hojam2hojam2 Member Posts: 3
    any idea how to install the fan cover?thanks
    >>any idea how to install the fan cover?<<

I did get to read the TSB, but don't have a copy. All you do is pull a few screws to remove the glove box. Then a few screws to install the cover over the motor. Ask the dealer for the TSB if you buy a cover.
    -Jon
  • toplessfuntoplessfun Member Posts: 2
    I took my Hidden Hitch off my old 1996 Pathfinder and put it on my 2001 Pathfinder. My tail pipe canister does come in contact with the hitch on bumps. Can you describe what you did to strap the muffler. What kind of strap did you use? Where and to what did you strap the muffler to. Thanks.
    Pete
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    With incentives galore on the QX4 ($1500 cash back + 0.9% or 2.9% financing), I am contemplating the upgrade to one (I currently own a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE). I can get Nissan/Infiniti vehicles via Nissan Vehicle Purchase Plan, which allows me to buy vehicles below invoice price + incentives.

However, with all this focus on safety, i.e. IIHS crash tests, I am really hesitating about the upgrade. Actually, I find myself looking at the Acura MDX, Lexus RX300 or Toyota Highlander due to their very favorable ratings.

So far, I love my PF and will probably get the QX4 at the same monthly payments due to the incentives. But, the safety rating is making me cringe.

BTW, I'm also waiting for the Nissan Murano.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    So if Canadian PF LE"s come standard with power antennas, I'm wondering if it is an option I can add to mine here in the US. Does anyone know if a power antenna is available as an option for US PF's? If so, does it work with the in-dash CD player/changer unit installed from the factory? For thosewho still have the manual fixed mast antenna, what do you do with it when going through an automatic car wash? Does it survive the wash if not removed?
    Since I just got my '02 PF LE a week ago and have not noticed a fan noise (yet), should I ignore it or go to the dealer and get it replaced now under the TSB notice?
    The Canadian Path has the exact same stereo so the power antenna should be an easy swap in. I checked the shop manual briefly and the cable is accessable from behind the glove box.

If you have no noise with your blower the shroud is probably in place. The rumor is that some vehicles did not get it by accident. Actually the reason the Nissan service guy didn't want to give me a copy of the TSB is because "once they get out there everyone wants work done if it needs it or not".

-Jon
  • serpico1serpico1 Member Posts: 30
    what a meery go round..and i see dozens of people on this forum have bought PF in Canada ..i wanted to be one of them and unless this is a mistake, i still will be..

i just got off the phone with nissan headquarters..tel is 800-387-0122..the woman said the warranty is not valid in the us if you are an american who buys in CA and brings back to the states..i asked her 4 times and said she must be mistaken and she said no sir i am 100% positive..the warranty will not be good in the usa..is this wrong? and she was positive..any thoughts to clear this up? thank you..eric
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Member Posts: 84
    mdmudpup--Congrats on the PF!! Sounds like you got a killer deal. For some reason I think when you get a good deal and have a pleasant buying experience it makes owning the car more enjoyable. I love the black. Nissan makes some of the coolest colors for their cars. There wasn't a color of PF I would not want.

crikey-- sounds like you can get a pretty good deal on the QX4. Is this some kind of Nissan loyalty program? As far as safety , I thought the PF did very well in the NHSTA crash testing. It was the IIHIS that it didn't fair well. So if I get in an accident I'll make sure I crash the way the NHTSA does ; ) . The Highlander is an awesome car. I would have gotten one if I didn't get such a good deal on my PF but I have zero regrets!

Happy Pathfinding!!

Steve
    lofquist - Thanks for checking the manual, does it have a part number for the power antenna? Maybe I can order one from the dealer or some other parts shop.

I'll take your advice about the fan shroud and figure its in place.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Where are you getting a $1500 rebate AND 0.9 or 2.9% financing. I just bought my 2002 QX4 in late January and got the 2.9% over 60 months. It is a sweet deal but I don't seen anyone offering $1500 in addition to that. It is definately worth the difference though since it is less than $3000 if you would get the Pathy LE fully loaded.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Gotta be an employee or relative:

http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/nissan/index4.htm

I have not heard of the $1500 rebate either.

Thanks everyone for the info... I'll call AccessOne first before ordering.

Brad
    ...is listed in the 'Incentives' section of http://www.inissan.aa.psiweb.com/vpp/vendor/index.htm. It is in addition to the 0.9% and 2.9% financing. It is effective 03/07 through 04/01/2002. It does say that they revised incentives for QX4. I currently have 7.75% on my PF loan for 60 months (39 months left) and I got no cash back since I bought my PF in July 2000.

OR, I can get the same-equipped PF LE ($1000 or 0.9%/3.9% financing) but it seems like the QX4 is a better deal, incentive-wise.

wildcorgis--funny. I never thought of selective crashing. Highlander is pricy -- It's roomier, though.
    Sorry, the shop manual does not have part numbers. It does have removal and installation pics if you need them.
    -Jon
    There has been a big change just this month. Eighteen months ago I bought my Pathfinder in Canada and since then I know of 70 others who did so too (Nissan or Infiniti). The warranty was easily transferred to the US. But on March 4th Nissan sent a letter to all Canadian Nissan and Infiniti dealers telling them to stop selling new vehicles to US customers. At the same time they stopped allowing the warranty to be transferred.

To sum it up, we had a great ride and lots of people saved a ton of money. But for now you won't even be able to find a dealer willing to sell to you. There are some Canadian court cases in appeal and maybe sometime in the future the situation will change back.

-Jon
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Crete, I have 2000 (earlier model) Pathy and have power antenna, maybe you can get a part number from Nissan.

-jc
  • mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    Nissan has a list of car seats that they approve for fit on their website. On the NissanDriven web site go to Pathfinder, then safety, and it's under the car seat section.

I have the Britax and it fits great. Have you thought about buying one on-line? I bought mine from a yahoo store.
    lofquist - That would be great if you have pics of the power antenna install, I'd really like to see them. Let me know where I can get them. I'll probably check around at parts shops and like (kzc2) mentioned I'll contact nissan for part number.

kzc2 -- Is your PF canadian? Was your power antenna standard equip or did you have it installed aftermarket?

thanks to all for the info.
    crete,
    I don't have your email addr. Drop me a line and I'll paste them into a response.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
    That site requires a user name and password. Any chance of sharing? :)
    It won't do you any good. That is an employees only site. You have to work for Toyota or a supplier of Toyota. He makes it look like it is a deal we all can get but its just not true.
  • ralsidewinderralsidewinder Member Posts: 9
    Hi all..

I was wondering if any of you have experience with pet guards in the PF. I have a 02 SE that I'd like to put a pet guard in. Ideally, I'd like one that I could use with the rear seats up and down. I've seen some at the local pet supply store that uses tension to keep it in place (about $70 US). I know Nissan has one in their catalog for twice that much. Any ideas?

-Andy
    It is also a benefit for their business associates. Little do people know that their employer (if employed and not self-employed) maybe associated with a car manufacturer and can actually avail of these benefits. My employer can get discounts with Nissan, Ford (and affiliates like Volvo, Mazda,etc.) and GM since my employer does a lot of business with them. And what does Toyota have anything to do with a Nissan Vehicle Purchase Plan?

93fsu1: sorry, i am not allowed to share username/password. Ask your HR people if you guys are eligible for car discounts with car manufacturers. You'll never know...
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    I don't want to open up a new discussion,so I'm posting on this site. My 99 PF ES lease is up soon and I'm looking to buy an 02 something. Test drove the X last nite. Not as smooth & has fewer ammenities than PF,but 5-6K less.Budget is important.Anybody here check out the X?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Yeah, I test drove the '01 X and PF...bought the PF.

IMO, what you give up in X is handling (the X is ladder frame, the PF is unibody), some cargo space, some amenities, power (170hp vs 240 hp auto) and AWD (if you get the PF LE).

Quality and reliability seems to be about the same, though.
  • kzc2kzc2 Member Posts: 14
    Crete: mine was standard (U.S.) I'd believe at that time LE model had standard power antenna and XE & SE had fixed antenna, but optional for SE.

Here is price & Part numbe for Power Antenna Assembly.

Price is $187.33 + tax; and Part number is 282001w205.

You may need to give little price adjustment where you buy from.

-jc
    I also included empolyees of suppliers in my statement. Isn't that about the same as your "business associates". The bottom line is that we can't get that deal so why talk about it here like it is a normal thing that Nissan is offering. Nissan is not offering $1500 cashback to the general public.
    I still doubt that even employees and affiliates would get invoice pricing, plus special finaning AND an extra $1,500 not available to anyone else. Perhaps the first two, like Ford's A plan, but not all three.
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I had one of the first X's 2000 SE......It was something new and I went for it....I had it for two years and realized I didnt use it for what it was designed for. I bought a 2001 PF LE which cost me $5000 more but I do enjoy this vehicle more. The biggest difference is the horsepower, it has more than 40% more than the X did. I also like the leather, heated seats and a REAL sunroof! I spent over $2000 on a new stereo system on my X and haven't spent a penny upgrading the one in my PF. The PF is also a little larger, but overall I like the PF better. I think it depends on your lifestyle and of course budget. Dollar for dollar both vehicles are a good value.
  • the_whistlerthe_whistler Member Posts: 2
    I just got a new Pathfinder SE a week ago and have found that the mileage I have been getting so far (about 10 MPG), is way under what they advertise (15/18). Does anyone know if there is some kind of break-in period for the effeciency or would this indicate some other problem?
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder, which is now one year old, with 12,000 miles on it. My city gas mileage has always been below that specified by Nissan. I get about 13 mpg (imperial gallon), while I get about 24 mpg on the highway. The vehicle was checked for operating efficiency by the dealer, based on the city mileage, but all checked out ok. I have not noticed any reduced fuel consumption in recent fills, so assume this is probably the best I will get. Check your highway mileage and see if it is near manufacturer's specifications.

Woody (British Columbia, Canada)
    As hard as it is to believe, all incentives do apply in addition to NVPP pricing. This just means that the QX4 is not selling very well and needs to be moved from dealer's lots.
    Not all business associates are suppliers. Suppliers are just a subset of business associates. Hence, the term business associates.

Anyway, you're right, since the deal _may_ not be available to everyone, I'll stop discussing it.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Jon, how sad this has happened. Any further details? Bob
    Yes, sad is the word. Nissan sent letters to all the Canadian dealers early this month saying no more sales to the US. I heard the wording and it was stern. There are two Canadian court cases pending challenging Ford's right to do the same. So far Ford lost both, but they are on appeal.
    -Jon
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Saw the new murano at nissan website. It looks like it is the size of the pf and the hp is the same. Will it replace the pf? Although as being projected, the pf will be bigger. So maybe the new murano will take the place of the pf (in size like we have today and enjoying it very much) and the new pf a bigger 7 seater. There is a murano room but nothing much there yet
  • chuckiekchuckiek Member Posts: 3
    Hey Pathfinding peoples... quick question

I've had my Pathfinder for a little over 2 months now and love it... only 2400 miles. While gas mileage isn't great it is worth the horsepower over the parents Ford Explorer. 2 Complaints I have had...

1. The little Pathfinder letters on my roof rack are peeling off. This is super annoying especially since my Pathy is barely out of the box. :)

2. The stereo is less than wonderful. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck buying and installing upgraded speakers or a head unit? I have the bose stereo with the 6-disc changer.

Otherwise everything is great... and my Pathy is rockin in the NE Ohio snow. :)

C
    Happy owner of a 2002 Pathfinder SE 4x4 (Black/Grey)
    for kzc2:
    Hey, thanks for the price and part Number of the power antenna. I'm sure it will make things easier for me when tracking one down. I wonder why nissan dropped the power antenna as standard on LE's and make no mention anywhere that a power component is available.
    I got my '02 Path LE about two weeks ago with a full tank of gas from the dealer. I just went to fill up today and I've averaged 14 mpg in city. I was only in 2WD mode, so now I'm switching to Auto Mode and I'll be driving the same streets, so I'll will wait to see any difference in mileage. I was told it may be 1-2 mpg less.
  • stockstimingstockstiming Member Posts: 27
    Had it done today by a shop. There were two things that I observed out of the ordinary:

1) They didn't cut the rubber bumpers off up to the bolt heads. They did cut them off some.
    2) They didn't drill the holes in the spring seats out to 3/4" diameter.

The rear end is 1-1/2" higher (at the hitch). I'm thinking this is because they didn't cut the rubber bumpers off far enough. They also project into the top of the air bags so that the bags aren't touching the top restraining plate.

Do any of you see a problem in these two areas?

I plan on calling Air Lift to ask them their opinion, also.

Thanks.