Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    The proportioning valve is installed on 2wd and the load sensing valve is on 4wd. This issue has been brought up several times in this PF club. When there is a load on the rear axle the valve adds secondary pressure from the master cylinder to the rear brakes. I wired my valve in the open position just to get more pressure to the rear brakes. The brakes don't seem to be effective enough to be
    concerned about locking up. The ABS will prevent that any way.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    The 2001/2 PF requires 91 octane. I can't find 91 so I use 93.
  • tonverangatonveranga Posts: 29
    which all-weather bulb exactly should I get for the fog lights? what part number and where can i buy these? are you referring to the vehicle manual for the install process?

thanks for the reply!
  • palmarespalmares Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what is the appropriate tire pressure for the Pathfinder? I just bought mine a few days ago, and the tire pressure reading measured at 40 PSI. However, the owner's manual recommends 26 PSI. What's the story here?
  • nutsnuts Posts: 9
    Hey everyone!
    I see a lot of talk mentioning authorized service manuals (on CD rom) and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me more info on where and what they paid for it. Jon had written me that he had spent $210 for it but didn't mention if that was purchased from the dealer or not.

(By the way, I need to send out my appreciation and thanks to Jon for helping me work out a Canada deal and for answering all of my questions and concerns.)
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    The story is what the owners manual recommend (Nissan)...end of story. However, if you're really interested in the tire pressure issue and you have alot of time on your hands, I suggest you go back to the many earlier posts that disscus this tire issue in depth with many different views on the subject...some what a TIRED SUBJECT...
  • kegmankegman Posts: 1
    Is this normal for '01 4X4 SE Pathy??? When driving with the windows down and the air recirculation flow selector on off, hot air comes out of the vents, whether it's cool or hot outside. I assume that this is air coming from the hot engine area.

Does anyone kow if this affects the air temperature of the AC when the recirculation selector is on off. It seems my AC takes a long time to cool off the vehicle and the air is not really that cold. I'm taking it in for my 1K check-up and just wanted to know.
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    If it is 60 degrees or warmer outside, you'll more than likely get warm air coming through the vents even if the temp knob is turned all the way to cold. It is more noticable with the windows down because it is easier for the air to move through the ventilation system. You could just turn on the recirc and keep air from moving through the vents.

Your truck will cool down more quickly with the A/C if you will roll down your windows for just a minute or so right when you start the engine and start moving. That'll let the hot air (relative to the outside temp) out of the vehicle and allow the A/C to get some air moving through the system. Then roll up the windows and turn on the recirc for a little while.

Being from Central Texas, I might almost consider myself an expert on this subject!
  • danogdanog Posts: 318
    Another "expert" tip is open the rear hatch and a door and allow the hot air to escape the back. Since it is a larger area than just the windows it works pretty quickly and allows the a/c to catch up faster. I knew as soon as the weather turned hot this topic will be around until winter!

Dano
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    TOVERANGA, the bulbs are called Philips AllWeather & the PF uses H3 bulbs. I bought mine through a company in England called Fosmo Lamps. Their web site is www.fosmo.com & yes I was speaking of the vehicle manual for the install. Good luck. Later...
  • nutsnuts Posts: 9
    li_sailor, thanks for the info and the web site.
  • Hello,

2001 SE, There is a little play in the steering wheel. When i shake the steering wheel slightly to the right and left i can feel play in the linkage and hear a knock. Knock as i go to the right, knock as i go to the left...

I'm sure it was tight when i first got it, now 10k miles later... should i be concerned, is there anything i could do about it? Also, Nissan is not very cooperative in helping me fix the problem.

Thanks,
    David
  • johnskevjohnskev Posts: 98
    davidbello1: about your steering problem...

i recall a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) sent out about some problem in the steering column. i tried to find it but i couldn't. can anyone help to locate it?

-johnskev
  • "i recall a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) sent out about some problem in the steering column."

That would be great if i could find any information about this. It would give me something to work with. Any suggestions on how i might go about finding the Bulletin? Should i try calling Nissan?

Thanks,
    David
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 42,953
    Here's our link to the TSB databases. You can get a summary on the net, but you'll either have to buy the full blurb or ask your dealer's service department to kindly give you a copy. Even better, ask them to fix the problem (assuming you find an applicable tsb).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mansdmansd Posts: 7
    I plan to purchase a Pathfinder from Canada within the next 2 weeks. Any thoughts or contact numbers about where to purchase it from?
    I also plan to move into Rhode Island after purchasing the car and was told by the RI DMV that I require an unplated registration for the car. Any idea about this?
  • has anyone experienced a slight vibration in thier auto trans 2001 4x4 pathy during its shifting?
  • steeldfsteeldf Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE.......CD player got an error message reading ERR2. Took it in and have to have the whole thing replaced. Anybody else have this problem? Only had the SUV a month.
  • shaka62shaka62 Posts: 9
    After I come to a stop and put the truck in park, I put the parking brake on before I take my foot off the brake. Then, with the parking brake engaged, I take my foot off the brake and the truck always lurches forward a few inches. How is that possible?

With every other vehicle I've ever owned, once the parking brake is engaged, the car doesn't move - as should be the case. Anyone have any experience with this, and if so, has it been taken up with a service tech at Nissan?
  • loboyloboy Posts: 75
    Steeldf,
    The ERR2 message was discussed awhile back, maybe on the previous threads. Apparently, some of the players don't like thick CDs or home made ones with self made labels. This is also mentioned in the manual. Some owners with this problem had the dealer replace the entire unit under warranty while others couldn't. Go figure. Sorry if I'm not much help.

Shaka62,
    The "lurching" thing, according to the manual and dealers, is normal. I'm assuming you have the All-Mode (AWD) version and you had it set in Auto. Mine LE does the same. Only happens in Auto Mode. I think it has to do with the center differential disengaging. If you leave your feet on the brakes and turn off the engine, you won't feel the lurch. Hope this helps.
  • I have owned my 2001 SE pathfinder less than one month w/900miles I have already taken it in for vibration problem. Was told it's "normal" and "they all do it". The mechanic and Service manager admitted it was a problem, but they could do nothing until Nissan advised them how to fix the problem. Test drove 4 on the lot, 3 definitely have it. Common denominator is the RPM level. Just as RPM level exceeds 1500, vibration occurs and will continue as long as RPM level is maintained. Although common at certain speeds, it still gets back to the RPM level. I think this is different than the "shimmy" problem relating to wheel balancing and alignment. The vibration is a sound you hear (low buzzing/humming) and feel in the gas pedal, passenger side floor and seats. Obviously, this is very annoying. I find myself now either speeding up or coasting to avoid this vibration, it's ridiculous. I find it amazing that more owners are not complaining!?!? Are they in denial?? What is the big mystery?? Surely, Nissan can at least tell us what the problem is. I intend to write Nissan and hope others will too. I think this is the only way they will act. If anyone has a clue, let us know.
  • shaka62shaka62 Posts: 9
    I guess "lurch" wasn't a good term to use. I'm talking about after the engine is turned off, with the tranny in Park and my foot on the brake, I apply the parking brake and then release my foot from the brake pedal and the truck rocks forward a few inches.

It is my understanding that with the parking brake on, the back brake pads are pressed against the brake drums and therefore the truck shouldn't move (and doesn't move with any other vehicle I've ever owned). So what puzzles me is how and why does it move?
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    I also had the same arror on my system, and i wasn't using any CD-R's. It can happen with regular CD's as well. Mine was replaced under warranty...lost 3-4 CDs out of the deal also.

Having the Air Bag sensor/part replaced on the drivers seat this Friday at my Nissan dealer. Apparently, this is a $1400 repair.(?) Good thing it's covered under the warranty!

Not sure of the details of this repair...but I think they are replacing the entire bottom seat section? What brought this to my attention was simply that the cloth that wraps under the seat had come loose and the seat wasn't automatically adjusting back and fourth as "smoothe" as it normally done since purchase.

I had the techs check it out and they told me they would have to get special permission from Nissan to order this part because it was so expensiove/unusual request. It was approved and i'm having it done in 2 days.

I'll get more details and post them here over the weekend if I can.

Still no "major" problems with my 01 LE after 6+ months of ownership...up to over 8K miles on it now also.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    I don't like to spread rumors, so I will ask for confirmation rather than speculation.

Nissan is said to offer a car like suv this fall known only as the "TT" for now.

Similar in size to Toyota Highlander with a V6 engine and a price tag in the mid to upper 20's.

This would allow the PF to increase in size next year and complete to 2004 line up, which includes the launch of the full size pick up and full size suv.

My sales rep at the Nissan dealer has no information.

Has anyone heard about this?

My source is www.mag-x.com (under past scoops)
  • omega11omega11 Posts: 36
    Hello,
    Thanks for the information gladiator.
    Regards
  • mike354mike354 Posts: 4
    Anyone have any trouble with the remote? Both of them lock and unlock the doors okay. However, one is able to set the alarm but not activate it when hitting the red panic button and the other remote does not set or activate the alarm. Additionally, the parking lights only blink when locking and not unlocking.
  • jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    My vehicle had a RPM based vibration from the drive train (not tires). I got into a pretty heated argument with the dealer because Nissan says it can't be fixed.

Neither party checked the service manual, which clearly lists checking the prop. shaft runout. The dealer actually refused to check runout, "because a new car wouldn't have runout problems..." I haven't checked the runout, but mounting the shaft 180 degrees from original position reduced the vibration significantly.

It is a shame that there aren't many mechanics able to diagnose problems any more....

Regards,
    je
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    MIKE354... the remote entry has two modes. One, the horn stays silent & the lights blink when you lock the vehicle, not unlock. In the other mode, when you lock the vehicle the horn honks & the lights flash once I think. When you unlock the lights flash twice. You change between modes by pushing & holding the lock & unlock buttons on the remote for longer than two seconds. The instructions are one the back of the remote in case you ever forget. Later...
  • loboyloboy Posts: 75
    I see your problem now. Have not experienced it myself other than when I park on very steep inclines and not pull the parking brake hard enough.