Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Nice post .

I suspect that many of the '99 and '00 bugs have been finally worked out. I'm just about ready to buy a 2001 GCL. With all the incentives DC is offering, we can probably get it for at least $2000 below invoice!
    If you have recently purchased a JGCL, I'd love to know what kind of deal you got.

Thanks!
  • I just purchased a JGCL on 12/15. I shopped around went to 5 dealers. I did my homework checked out all the dif resources for buying a new car including Edmunds and I was able to negotiate $2,830 off the sticker price. That wasn't below invoice. I don't see how you will get $2000 below invoice even with dealer incentive of $1,000 that was in effect when I made my deal. None of the dealers in my part of the country would come down any farther. If you can power to ya. I Have 705 miles on my JGCL and it runs great no problems at all, handles great. Enjoy your new JGCL.
    What Zip code do you live in? Just curious because I'd like to research what the going price is in your area. Thanks.
  • Tony for what it's worth I got my JGC for $6000 under sticker. But at 800 miles it's in for a new transmission because of the whining
    Thanks for the note.

Question: Is it a JGCL 2001 and what drive system do you have, i.e, V8 and qudra-drive, etc.
  • We just leased a 2001 JGC Larado and love it. As I look through our agreement papers I found some discrepancies in the numbers. They differ from what they told me they would be. We are paying $453.00 per month for 39 months. Does that sound outrageous? The adjusted Capitalized cost is $26,375.00. The invoice price on this jeep was $29,100.00. The lease for our last jeep (1998 Larado)was due and we loved it so much we decided to lease another jeep. I hope we were not taken to the cleaners with this deal. What do you think?
  • gcl98gcl98 Posts: 26
    I've got a 98 Laredo, I-6, auto, w/Selec-Trac transfer case and 34,500 miles.

There's no problem shifting the T/C to/from 2wd, 4wd f/t, 4wd p/t or *into* 4wd LO. But when I try to shift *from* 4wd LO back into 4wd f/t as per the owner's manual, the t/c gears grind, and I have to shut the car off to move the t/c lever back into *any* position.

Am I doing something wrong here or what? Seems to me that you shouldn't have to shut the car off to get out of 4wd LO. Any comments?

I have to say that I'm a little surprised at the amount of gripes here about Jeeps. I've had absolutely no problems with mine (other than this one) and am looking to buy a new 2001 Wrangler Sport.
  • I live in CT. My zip is 06473. I see that dbindenver got $6000 of sticker. By my best guess that would put him a few thousand under invoice. Maybe the dealers in the northeast aren't as nice as the rest. Remember they are in the business to make money and selling cars for $2000 or $3000 under invoice and they'll be out of business real soon.
    I hate to tell you this, but they are not losing money. They are holding the truth from the public. Right now there is about $2500 worth of customer AND dealer incentives (the unpublished stuff) on JGCs right now.

Using your Zip code at carsdirect.com right now, you can get a JGCL loaded (28K package) as follows:

MSRP: 37,000
    Invoice: 34,280
    CD.com: 32,263

That's $2000 below invoice leaving $500 plus dear holdback profit for the dealer.

To quote Fox Mulder, "The truth is out there."

TC
  • xmongerxmonger Posts: 14
    The Carsdirect Price of $32,263 for a JGCL with 28k package seems almost too good to pass up. Per my calc the dealer still makes $614 on the deal. No need to feel sorry for them. But, here is the big but, if you lease; CarsDirects has an indicated 47% residual value for a 36 month lease. This would make the JGCL more expensive to lease than a RX300 with a cap cost of a few thousands more??? What have people gotten on lease deals for residuals?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    You're right about the RX having a better residual value. I think DC recognizes this and that's why they are subsidizing the dealers with low financing cash incentives.

As for me, I do so many miles that leasing is out of the question. I plan on buying a vehicle and holding onto it for awhile.
  • What's the best way to find out the options that were included on a particular 1999 Jeep GCL? I am considering a purchase of the vehicle a friend of mine owned with only 12,000 miles. He passed away so I've got the option to purchase it from his estate for $19,500. It has all the power goodies,4.0 engine,computer, including sun roof and leather. He had no problems with it during this time as far as I can remember. It looks and runs as if new. If the VIN# helps it's 1J4G258S1XC799--- I left off the last three digits. Any suggestions. Also is this a good price as it seems to be? Thanks!!
    Call 800-992-1997 for assistance. They should be able to help you.
  • Can someone please post the link for the technical service bulletins that refer to 99JGC rotors? I'm about to go to battle for the THIRD set in 23,000 miles and want to have all my info in order before heading to the dealer. Thanks very much.
    Hope this helps:

Service Bulletin Number: 050398
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 221
    Date of Bulletin: 9808
    NHTSA Item Number: SB602194
    Make: JEEP
    Model: GRAND CHEROKEE
    Year: 1999
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:DISC:ROTOR:DISC HUB
    Summary: EXHIBITING MINOR BRAKE PEDAL PULSTION WHICH MAY BE CAUSED BY ROUGH DISC ROTORS. EXHIBITING MINOR BRAKE PEDAL PULSTION WHICH MAY BE CAUSED BY ROUGH DISC ROTORS. EXHIBITING MINOR BRAKE PEDAL PULSTION WHICH MAY BE CAUSED BY ROUGH DISC ROTORS. **AK *AK *AK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service Bulletin Number: 050599
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 616
    Date of Bulletin: 9906
    NHTSA Item Number: SB606162
    Make: JEEP
    Model: GRAND CHEROKEE
    Year: 1999
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:DISC:ROTOR:DISC HUB
    Summary: INFORMATION REGARDING MATCH MOUNTING OF BRAKE ROTORS. *TT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This search returned 2 records.
  • I hate to tell you, but the $32,263 is the invoice price with dealer hold back. I don't know why you think thats $2,000 below invoice but you are misinformed.

"the truth is now out there!"
    I fully loaded JGCL, data from Edmunds site:

Option Description Invoice MSRP.
    28K Quick Order Package 28K (Limited 4WD) $1,326 $1,560
    DGQ Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic $64 $75
    VA Engine: 4.7L Power Etch V8 (Limited) $315 $370

Invoice MSRP. TMV
    Base Price $31,975 $35,095 $32,476
    Optionas $1,705 $2,005 $1,751
    Dest Charge $600 $600 $600

Total $34,280 $37,700 $34,827

Dealer holdback is never buried in a car price, it is a courtesy that the manufacturer pays the dealer to keep the car on the lot. It usually covers the dealers interest payment, "floor management", etc.

The truth is out there, some people like to distort it!
  • Just got back from the Jeep dealer.....looking for pre-owned JGC's. Found a dealer in San Francisco that is sitting on a lot of 2000's (program cars and early lease turn-ins.)

He wants $24,350 (originally $28,988, but talked down a little) for it:
    -2000 JGC Limited
    -6 cyl, 4x4, 28,000 miles
    -LTHR, Power Package, Sunroof, Full size
    spare, CD, and Cruise.

Is this a fair Price????????? Coastie4
  • krabekrabe Posts: 1
    I currently own a '93 JGC and I'm considering buying a '98 JCC 5.9L Limited. Does anyone out there currently have and would mind sharing some feedback? What kind of gas mileage do you get? Also, why did DC offer the 5.9L as an option only in 1998? Is this a bad sign? I may even consider a '98 JGC V8 without the 5.9L

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my '93 and look forward to getting a newer one. Thanks.
  • 6 mo. ago I purchased a 97 GC with Quadra Trac. When we rec. our first snow storm I found out the closes thing I had to a "Quatra Trac" was the name on the plate (bezel) which surrounds the shifting lever! What I had was a Selecta Trac where I had to shift into full time or part time 4wd! When I thougth I was in 4WD all the time I was in 2W rear wheel drive only!

What am I loosing by not having the Quadra Trac? What is the difference in cost between the transfer cases?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob
  • OK my numbers where off. But you won't get anyone dealer to sell you that JGCL for 32,200. Also I don't understand A holdback as a courtesy? If you look at Edmunds.com explanation you will see that and I quote "It does not appear as an itemized fee on the window sticker and is included in the invoice price cost of the car. If the car sells in 90 days of arrival on the dealers lot he is guaranteed a profit even if the vehicle is sold to you at cost."
    What Edmunds stuff is saying is that it's not a discrete item, anywhere. It's figured into the cost of the car, just like the labor on the assembly line. So when crunching the numbers, one would never break it out for comparison.

It's very rare that one can bring up the subject of holdback when negoitiating... it's considered taboo. But it's good to know for the consumer that it does indeed exist.

If you were to go and order a car from the factory, one could then say "Well, since the car isn't sitting on your lot now, and as soon as it comes in, I'll take it off the lot, then the holdback (factory to dealer subsidy) is then pure profit."

Using this tactic *might* get you an even better price. Might.
    In terms of getting at the price, here's the proof:
    ttakvori "2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited pricing" Jan 4, 2001 5:04am

I rest my case.
  • Hi everyone
    3 months ago I purchased a 2001 JGC V6, got 1400
    miles with out any problems. Is there anyone out there that is having problems with this model so
    I will be more alert on certain things? I had a 1996 with no problems except the air which had something to do with the heater coil they told me.
  • Sorry it took so long to reply. It is a 2001 JGCL with the 28K package, V8 Quadra-drive, Towing package, and Up country suspension group. Total sticker price was 38,190.I paid 32,182 before taxes. Hope that helps
    Wow... that's a great price!

Did you get the whining resolved?
  • Would like to BUY a new 2001 JGCL looking pretty basic because price is a factor.... either the 26F package or the 26S in which case get the leather nit. Not looking for any other options just the best price anyone has seen out there as well as what incentives I should look for. Also, I dot NEED to buy right now so in that case is it in my better interest to wait for a better deal...i.e, are the better times of the year to get better prices on the JGCL 2001????

Thank you all in advance....
    I think you mean JGC Laraedo, which is usually abreviated JGC since it is the base model as opposed to the Limited = JGCL.

If you are purchasing (not leasing) all curent incentives are until 4/3/01. Leasing incentives expire TOMORROW.

There is currently $1500 customer incentive on JGCs AND $1000 hidden (dealer) incentives that not too many folks know about. You can get a JGC 4x4 26E for about $25,500 if you drive a hard bargain. 26F for about $27,250. 26S for about $28,350.

In my opinion, these are pretty agressive incentives. I don't think you'll see anything better until end of summer when they try to clear out the model year.

Hope this helps.

TC
  • Would like to BUY a new 2001 JGCL looking pretty basic because price is a factor.... either the 26F package or the 26S in which case get the leather nit. Not looking for any other options just the best price anyone has seen out there as well as what incentives I should look for. Also, I dot NEED to buy right now so in that case is it in my better interest to wait for a better deal...i.e, are the better times of the year to get better prices on the JGCL 2001????

Thank you all in advance....