Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Just returned a creampuff JCL 99 V8 QD to the leasing company. Thought I'd share a tale of the most reliable car in the world.

Car 1 - Honda Accord just got bought back under the lemon law.

Car 2 - Honda Accord tranny failure after 2 years.

Imaging the chagrin of the people who bought the two most reliable cars in the world. Anecdotal stories don't do very well - they are after all machines. They break down just as we do.

I will submit Japanese car manufactures do build good cars, but they are all machines nevertheless.
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    This is what DC is offering in the new 2003 Grand Cherokee, info from a JGC web site:

New AM/FM/CD stereo with built-in NAV - DVD based NAV system with display screen features just one disc for all of U.S.A. and parts of Canada. Single slot CD player with CD changer controls (11-disc total capacity). Sirius Satellite Radio® capable ($1795 MSRP).

New Sirius Satellite Radio System (MSRP $299 + install, available November 25th).

I suppose if Sirius ends up having financial problems and doesn't make it DC will have to switch over to XMS.
    QUOTE from Ericpl:
    "I like the idea of RF using the stock head unit on the 02's. Wonder if it would work with 2000 model or if I would have to replace with a 2002 head unit. If THAT is the case, I'd just as soon go aftermarket with a 1.5 DIN. :)"

The Mopar unit should work fine on your 2000 model JGC as it's designed to work with most Chrysler radios. But I would wait for the new system coming in November that I mentioned in post #1220 above.
  • kkuligkkulig Posts: 150
    Gee, that's a substantial amount of money for a sat-ready (not sat-capable) factory radio. Like I mentioned earlier, I seriously wonder if Sirius will be a viable player in this market. That remains to be seen I guess. I'd sure hate to get stuck with one of their radios and not be able to use it! Both XM and Sirius have web sites... check them out and decide for yourself which one is better.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Posts: 114
    Wow! Honda must have daggers for you. Two bad Honda Accords is just something I've never heard of before.

Everyone: Can I ask a dumb question? What is a creampuff (as in cars, the food tastes pretty good)? I've heard it used in a variety of ways (ex: rebuilt cars) and am slowly going insane over not knowing what it means. Thanks!
    kw_carman, there's no such thing as a dumb question...

The definition of "cream puff" used as a slang term for a car means "an old, especially secondhand car that's in very good condition."

I think many people mistakenly apply this term to rebuilt or restored cars. I take the meaning as defined above... applying to an original car in very good condition.
  • OK friends. I did the tow hooks yesterday. Not difficult but not easy either. I bought after market hooks so I needed to drill a hole for the bolts to line up. Nothing like drilling into new steel ! The front bumper and the grill (one piece) must come off first. (5 screws on the grill (do not over tighten when replacing) and 2 10mm bolts on fender. Plus the usual push clips/plugs. Then drop in the hooks, tighten and you are done. TOok around an hour. If you need more information for taking on this job email me.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    DC announced today they are carrying on the 7/100 warranty and effective 7/9/02 the warranty will be transferable to subsequent owners. According to the press release, warranty claims dropped 20% during this last model year, and 50% since 1996. Just some FYI for those that are interested. Covers Engines, Transmissions, Trasfer Cases, and Axles.
    Sounds like they're making some progress towards quality improvement despite what others may feel or say. That's always a step in the right direction. Sure love my 02... running great so far!
  • agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    Does anyone know when the grand cherokee will be redesigned
    No styling changes are planned for 2003, which will be a very short model year, ending this December. The 2004 Model will start production this coming January with a redesigned front end and some interior changes, as well as several new options and features, the usual new colors, wheels, etc.
    A complete redesign is slated for the 2005 model year and will probably be out in the Spring of 2003.
  • oxx93oxx93 Posts: 67
    Has anyone seen any pictures of the redesign?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Must to be nice to be 16th on that list. Here is the full UNBIASED report from JD Power:

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=635&CatID=1

Notice that Saturn and Infiniti are #1 and #2. Chrysler must have been dead last in 2001.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    I deleted your post about the JD Powers CSI report. Please just link to stories and limit your post to a brief blurb or your own comments - otherwise the copyright lawyers get heartburn. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    To Steve (Host):
    The text was taken exclusively from Car-Truck.com, it was their report. And I thought I followed their required protocol by properly crediting them:

"Any publication that reports on the copyrighted contents of this column without giving proper credit to www.car-truck.com as its source may be prosecuted for copyright infringement".

But I see your point, better to just post a few highlights rather than the entire article.
    BigOrange, note that we are talking about JEEP vehicles, not Chrysler overall. And the point I have been trying to make ALL along is that Jeep has noticeable improved, NOT whether they are "No. xx" or whatever. I have consistantly stated that Jeep was NOT the best in reliability, nor NOT the worst ("worst" being as you would like everyone to believe).

Note that on the list Chrysler is ABOVE average in reliabilty, AND that there is less than a 5% difference in points between the Infinity ratings and Chrysler. Of course Infinity is high on the list due to the great cars they build, the Nissan Pathfinders/QX4 are a different story as you saw by the number of TSB's issued. By the way, I understand you have recently made your first trip to the Infinity dealer for warranty service, just a couple months old and the door seals are already falling off. Looks like Infinity is heading downward on the list while Jeep is heading upward, it won't be long before they will cross and Jeep will surpass...

A 31% improvement by the Jeep brand shows a remarkable effort and credit should be given where credit is due. They have totally turned things around the past few years. I rest my case once again.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    That's good to know, Tloke1, always nice to keep the lawyers at bay . I didn't go beyond the first page where it said "UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED ALL MATERIAL IN THIS SITE IS THE EXCLUSIVE PROPERTY OF CAR & TRUCK NEWS".

I guess we can consider you a "publication", since you're publishing good posts here :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    all be it very minor. I don't consider door welts a significant thing. Although, I don't expect to see alot of this type of thing. I am enjoying "the most reliable car on the road" as Consumer Reports called it in April.

I am interested in how you separated the Jeep score from the Chrysler score in that report. It appeared to me that all of the DC products were lumped together. Don't they all get serviced at the same shops?
    "I don't consider door welts a significant thing."

Maybe you don't, and maybe others would? Same could be said about any kind of part failure on any vehicle. Some people will be bothered by them and others won't.

Seriously, enjoy your "most reliable car on the road." In the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy our so-called "not as reliable" JGC's. ;0)