Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• According to wkjeeps.com, DC will have a Diesel option for the JGC in 2007 or 2008. I don't know why it's taking so long to get it here in America--it's been available in foreign markets for over a year now. I'm also waiting for the Dynamic Handling System, because without it the JGC doesn't corner as well as it should.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I test drove a JGC Limited 5.7 today. Some observations: I didn't notice the problem with driver seat headroom that all reviewers comment on (I'm 5'11"); I didn't see where the back seat was as awful as all reviewers report; I thought the ride smoothness and quietness were good; I didn't think the quality of the interior was as awful as has been reported; and I thought the power seemed less than I expected. One criticism that I've read from all reviewers is right on: the unsettled ride on a curvy road. For a year the press has been told that a "Dynamic Handling System" is going to be implemented on the JGC. Evidently it hasn't happened yet. Does anybody know whether it is ever going to be implemented?
  • t40tt40t Posts: 1
    Although I've built several computers, I've never messed with the internal workings of a car before. The battery of my 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo TSI died from lack of use. It has become my secondary car. I just bought a new battery today, but I couldn't remove the old one. I got the terminals removed, but there's housing around the battery and an attach metal bar thing. It's all got corroded stuff around it, and I'm not sure what kind of tool I should use, and what part to dismantle. Maybe a hex wrench, but I don't know. Any ideas?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    If you have jeeps secerity key you have to make sure that it reads the key

ixplanes it in your oners manual
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    Most batteries are held in by a bracket that is screwed into the bottom of the battery casing with a hexhead bolt, anywhere from 3/8" to 9/16" and this is only an estimate from me...hopefully it is not metric...

You will probably need a rachet set with a 6-9" extension to reach down there, assuming I am right on the type of bracket...you may need a wire brush to remove the corrosion so the socket will fit over the bolt head...

And, I may be wrong in all of this...:):):)
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I'm the current owner of a '97 GC Laredo (ZJ) with 120k miles which I really love. It has not given me one lick of trouble since I purchased it with 60k three years ago.

I have just one question: Is it true that DaimlerChrysler hired Porsche to do some consulting work on the body design of the 1999-04 WJ models?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,624
    I found this:

"Porsche Engineering, in Troy, Mich., was brought in at the beginning of the program to optimize the body structure for strength, mass and cost. "They applied `holistic' design practices," says Mike Doman, "using the entire body-in-white to counteract load inputs." Porsche's six-month involvement created a virtual production engineering team comprised of Porsche senior and CAD engineers, their counterparts at Jeep, "and even some of our Tier 1s hired Porsche people to design stamped components." notes Doman."

findarticles.com

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• i have a 97 JGC and it has so far been the best automobile i have ever had. i just bought a lift kit... and i have just installed a new sterio system... its one nice vehical
  • mykemmykem Posts: 203
    Hello. I recently (two days ago) purchased my first Jeep - a 2006 Silver Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4.

I also own a 2001 Black Chrysler 300M and a 2001 Silver Sebring LX sedan (which we are selling to a family member).

So far, I like it a lot. I've been reading the last couple posts here and I'd like to share some comments.

For rcf8000:
    I'm 6'4 and the way I like to position my seat (front legs full up, posterior full down, seat back full up) I notice my head is almost uncomfortably close to the roof. If I recline some, it's still comfortable and I've gotten used to it already. However, the legroom is so spacious, I have to push my seat forward a couple inches whereas 99% of the other cars that's fully back as well.

For frostyy:
    As far as my driving experience, it's a little early to tell, but I am having a blast in it. Coming from a long line of owning cars and renting the occasional minivan when travelling, the 06 Overland is pretty impressive, to me at least. Driving it is quiet, and even though I've only had it on the highway a couple miles a day going to work, it seems quiet there as well.

Starting it up, and standing on the gas, I can tell it's a V8 from the roar, but to me that's a contributing reason to get the big V8.

Plus, I love it when I'm discussing the new car to everyone, and everyone seems to have the same interrupting, amazed response after I mention that it has a HEMI...

Anyway, I look forward to reading and hope to contribute when necessary.

-m
  • Hello:

I’ve recently bought a new ’05 Grand Cherokee with a 3.7 engine. It was a demo model with 4200 miles. (They already fixed the recall involving the transmission tube.) I’ve put about 2000 miles on it and it has stalled on me about 15-20 times. It’s been to the dealer 4 times already and its going back on Monday. It stalls while I’m driving steadily at city speeds, and also when I’m slowing down or just about to drive away after starting it. It doesn’t make any indication on when it stalls and no instrument panel lights on. It just seems like someone just turned the car off, with no ability to steer and very hard to brake when it does. The dealer has been using it to shuttle people around when they have it and they haven’t been able to make it stall. This has been very frustrating, has anyone else had this problem and what can I do? My wife doesn’t even want to drive it b/c of this.

Thank you.
  • Oman9, I too am having a problem with my door locks buzzing. Did you ever get any resolve to your issue? Can you share it with me?
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    I just swapped the battery on my 01 Laredo (yes, I know it's different design than a 97) since Walmart has the highest rated batteries but wanted me to wait an hour or two. I thought it would take 15 minutes DIY but as most things go do a 2X estimate on that so more like 30 mins. The terminal wires did come right off but on the 01 there is a hold down on the engine side of the battery, ie looking at it from the front of the on the right. You have to crank and on that bolt with an extension on a ratchet since there is maybe 80 degrees of movement by the alternator and A/C hoses.

Actually this 01 Laredo I6 is a very easy engine to work on (serpentine belt, spark plugs, oil/filter chg etc). So try and take a few whacks at the corroded stuff with a screw driver/hammer, putty knife or chisel; perhaps you waited too long to swap batteries if you have that laying around the bottom of the battery itself and it's best to clean it all up well. Good luck!
  • Hey Mykem,

Congrats on your new Overland....I originally bought a 06 Jeep Liberty Diesel (after having 3 Grand Cherokees--'00, '02 Overland and '04 Overland) but I couldn't get used to the differences in the vehicle so I traded in my Diesel and I recently ordered a 06 Overland...it's not in yet as it's only been 3 weeks)....glad to hear you are liking yours....can't wait for mine...I should have bought another GC in the first place....as I have really enjoyed them...no major problems on any but I did trade them in with little mileage...
    ....I haven't seen a 06 Overland in person yet but the interior looks sweeet! I especially like the real wood interior (and on the steering wheel)....let me know if any issues come up with yours as you get more mileage on it..

-Frost
  • I am trying to change my temperature control from a regular 97 to a 98 limited control and am wondering if there are any compatibility issues with such a change.

Thanks for the input.
  • I purchased my '05 Grand Cherokee in September of this year, and I have had nothing but problems since. It has been to the dealer on numerous occasions for the same problems, and they have been unable to successfully repair it. The Dealer has had the Jeep for almost the same amount of time that I have since my purchase. I have had stalling problems, issues with the engine revving up for no reason, along with numerous others. Currently they can't seem to get the check engine light to go off. I am in litigation with Chrysler Motors Corporation with regard to the "Lemon Law". I will tell you that I have found that the recall problem with the transmission tube has turned out to require several fixes. My dealer Hoover Chrysler-Jeep in Savannah, Georgia has been dealing with Chrysler with regard to the most current fixes issued by Chrysler. You might want to have your Dealer contact Hoover Chrysler-Jeep in Savannah.
  • Why is it listed on the jeep website that the liberty weighs more than the grand cherokee? There is also a 1000 pound difference between the commander and the grand cherokee. Edmunds also lists the grand cherokee at 4094 pounds.
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    I think that's for 2WD V6 GC. I believe it varies from around 4200 to 4900 pounds for 4WD models, depending on engine and equipment levels.
  • I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has been staalling as well. The dealer says that there is nothing that they can do and that it mey be the air intake calibration motor which senses how much air to allow into the engine at low RPM. Well, they won't fix it until it breaks. So, my wife also wants to give up the car. I'm going to write to Jeep and I'm going to stir the waters if the problem isn't fixed. Even if I wanted to get rid of it, how much is a car worth if it stalls all the time?
    if you come up with a fix, let me know and I'll do the same for you.
  • Jim,
    I too have had stalling problems with my '05 Jeep and idle problems as well. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times now and it has continued to have the problem. I don't know if the lemon law applies in this case but I'm going to look into it this weekend as well. What is a car worth if it idles rough, stalls and is potentially dangerous because of it? My 2001 Hyundai runs better!
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    Which engines do you have on your GCs and how many miles do you have on them? I got an '05 with couple of hundred miles on it. I am a bit worried.
  • You sure that isn't the security system that keeps the car from running over 2 or 3 seconds after start up, if the wrong keep (or something) isn't done right?

A few times I have had this happen, because I opened the door from the inside after locking it from the outside. etc. I always got it figured out and it was always the security system that outfoxed me. (was usually my fault because I don't really know how all the stuff on the system works.

Good luck

CK
  • I have a 97 JGC limited gold. The alternator just went. I have no idea how to fix it. If someone could explain the steps, I would sure appreciate it. I have only today to fix it. I need my vehicle to take daughter to cheerleading and the usual mother taxi driver things. I can follow instructions, if you are willing to lay it out in steps for me. Thank you for any help.
    Tatia
  • In the years I've owned my 1993 GGC Laredo (I bought it in 1997) the difference in experiences I've heard about is amazing. Some people have 200,000 miles with hardly any trouble, others have continuing problems from Day 1. You never know. I'm finally selling mine, with 110,000 miles, as my financial advisor says the upkeep is bleeding me dry, not to mention the gas. Since 1997 I've had to replace the fuel pump (expensive!), PCM module, wiper motor, water pump, ignition switch, A/C evaporator, many suspension parts (tie rods, ball joints, control arms) door lock, fuel filler door latch, liftgate pistons, motor mounts, etc. etc. It's an expensive habit - but, like many other owners, when it's running well I love it!
    rs in boston
  • hapa2hapa2 Posts: 1
    Check engine light code is P0720, listed as a speed sensor failure. Any idea what to look for? I have a 98 JGC with 30000 miles, hardly any problems.
  • This topic sounds way to familiar to me. In the end of October my wife and I bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The first time the Jeep's check engine light came on in the middle of an intersection and the car cut off. So we had it towed in. They just blew us off by saying it was a bad sensor. Hmmmm.... The next day same intersection the same thing happens. So we took it back to the dealer. They kept it for 2 days and the Service manager said he would put his wife in the car and that they couldn't find anything wrong. Well we get it to Tennessee for the Holidays and the next day SAME THING, plus a leaking rear differential seal. SO BACK TO THE SHOP WE GO. They tell us that they don't know what it is. So we drive it some more and then we are loaded up for our 500 mile trip back to Savannah, GA and UH OH it happens again. So Here I sit with a nice car payment for a car that is in the shop 500 miles away. Well now it is Jan 2 and it has been in the shop 4 times at 3 different Chrysler dealerships. SO to my surprise when I talk to the service manager and he say's "he doesn't know what to do" and "has never had this happen before." It get's better. So I google 2005 Jeep grand cherokee problems and check engine light and this forum shows up. Then I see the same dealer I used HOOVER JEEP CHRYSLER and a very similar situation. Yet they tell me "he doesn't know what to do" and "has never had this happen before." THAT IS B.S. and I am pretty pissed. So if anyone has suggestions about how to handle a buy back or trade in I would really appreciate the feed back. Also if Richard Sturges reads this could you please reply since you have dealt with or dealing with HOOVER JEEP Chrysler in Savannah, GA. Thanks, Mike Thomas
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    said he would put his wife in the car

That would be helpful only if she is a qualified mechanic - otherwise put one in there! :)

tidester, host
  • i just purchased a 05 jeep gc laredo with quadra-trac 1 4x4. i do alot of surf fishing on the carolina coast and outer-banks. i was wondering if i'll have any problems on the sand. any tips would be great. thanx.
  • I have a 2005 Grand Jeep Cherokee that has stalled 3 times while driving it. The car will be driving normally when all of a sudden I lose power breaks, steering, and no gas. Basically the power shuts off. The dealership is unable to determine the cause. I was wondering if your car was fixed and if so what was the problem?
  • My 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited has now stalled at least 5 times on me too! This morning was the first time it happened while I was actually moving. The other times the car stalled while idling or at stop signs. Today I was making a left turn at a busy intersection and the engine stopped (along with power steering, brakes etc.) I'm a little concerned because I am supposed to go away for the weekend and drive up to Lake Tahoe which has highways that wind through the mountains. Has anyone had any luck from dealers for a solution to this problem? :lemon: ?
  • I have a new 2005 with the 5.7 and drive highway 20 miles to work everyday and I get around 15 miles to the gallon. If I were driving all local get around 12 so I know what you are talking about. DOes it get any better? :confuse: image