Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want in a Hybrid Pickup?

2»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Just a reminder of past posting number 17. Was it yours or someone else's statement? Hard to tell with no link to an article. You do interject your opinion in articles.

Toyota and Lexus have 11 hybrid models on sale,

I still only see 5 without a PU in the bunch. Lots of big gas guzzling PU trucks coming out from Toyota. That should make some people happy. Not me, I still want a PU that gets good mileage.

PS
    I could care less if it goes 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. I'm after 35+ MPG. Diesel is the ONLY option so far, and then not in the land of the free.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Au Contraire Mi Amaire..............

Quote from Toyota exec at the Geneva Auto Show earlier this month:"

I agree with the former statement; Toyota has peaked (on the important stuff). From an environmental and $$ standpoint, HSD only makes a lot of sense in one of two instances:

small cars - get high MPG
    larger vehicles - get more power (but not better MPG).

There is a sliding scale here (the HH and RX400H are on the upper end of efficiency), so nothing is absolute.

While Toyota may offer the HSD on heavier vehicles, it doesn't do as much good as on the lighter vehicles. Auto stop will help some, but in general these vehicles get less good out of hybridization that smaller vehicles. So there is little recovery of the extra costs and complexity of the hybrid powertrain, not to mention the cargo space costs of the batteries.

When you get REALLY small (think Yaris), one gets into problems with the extra weight of the hybrid not being worth the HSD improvements for a car that already gets good MPG.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Well, until Toyota brass is shown to be a bunch of total liars, I'm gonna believe them when they say that want to offer hybrid options in VIRTUALLY every vehicle they sell.

Pickups? We'll see. :shades:
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    I think they may well offer it in most vehicles, but it won't pay off in some models.
2»
This discussion has been closed.