Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• I need a little help understanding two diagnostic codes that I am seeing on my 2002 4WD 3.9L V6 Dodge Dakota Club Cab SXT Pickup.
    P0340 - (M) No CAM signal At PCM No fuel sync.
    I am assuming that this is a faulty or shorted Crankshaft sensor but I am not sure. Looking for a little advice on possible solutions and or the location of this sensor and any tips on changing it.

P1494 - (M) Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Fault Incorrect input state.
    This code did not show up until just after taking the vehicle to the dealer for an oil change. I strongly suspect intentional damage at the dealership, but I am powerless to do anything about it.
    Anyhow any additional info on the two engine codes above will be appreciated.
  • OK, I figured out the P1494 code. A vacuum line was removed from a "Y" connector near the left front (drivers side) fender well. No damage, no cracks in the tubing, and it was difficult to put it back on. Hmm I wonder how this might have fallen off during a routine oil change at the dealership?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I can't imagine how an oil change would bring anyone is close proximity to the vacuum hose, nor for that matter how it could become disconnected.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Today when I started the truck the abs and e brake lights came on. Also the spedometer quit working. Made it almost home when the truck wouldn't shift into overdrive. Then it wouldn't go into gear. Automatic transmission, V-6 1998. I have the worst luck. My girlfriend and I are moving (today now).
  • There is a sensor in the rear diff that is an input for the abs which also is used to calibrate vehicle speed. That is almost always the problem. As far as the transmission, check the fluid and make sure you're using Type 7176 ATF +3 or +4. Any other fluid will most definitle eat clutch material. If you haven't been using the right fluid, good luck or be prepared for an overhaul bill.

Eric
  • campymancampyman Posts: 13
    Hello All,
    I have a 2001 dak quad cab 4x4, auto, 4.7 V8, I love this truck, if I do not change the sensor what will adverse affects be on my Dak?
    Regards,
    Nath
  • How do I turn off my check engine light on a 2003 dodge dakota?
  • what does this code mean?
  • I have replaced the gas cap but don't know how reset the check engine light. Lil help?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Chrysler electronic systems store Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) by priority based on type of failure. There is a DTC Self Erasure feature built in to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). DTCs can be erased anytime with the scan tool (DRB2 or DRB3).

Self erasure feature is rather complicated, but in the case of emissions related DTCs they should erase with three "Good Trips" if the fault has been repaired.

The definition of a Good Trip has different definitions depending on type of fault, but basically once the vehicle completes three cold start to full warm up and drive cycles, the fault will clear on its own. Some faults only clear after 40 restarts.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • looking for easy check for problem; both the abs and brake light in dask are on. Is there anything simple to look at first.
  • There is a speed sensor over the differential that is most likely the problem. Not expensive and easy to replace.
  • Thank you; jr is going to learn how to work on brake this weekend
  • etomorietomori Posts: 11
    Got back a 2002 Dakota 2W/D from the shop for other work. Shop said the ABS light flashes and chimes and the test for codes has 82 for ABS and 83 for Tire Speed Mismatch. Is this the speed sensor over the differential problem?

Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
  • What is the trick to receiving codes by using the ignition key? :shades:
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    With the key in the Off position, cycle it as follows On (not Start)-Off-On-Off-On. The codes will appear in the digital odometer on newer trucks, or the Check Engine light will flash a pattern in older trucks (example: flash pause flash-flash-flash means code 13).

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• 10folds510folds5 Posts: 1
    My '92 Dakota V-6 starts, but barely idles. DTC's are: memory standby power lost and MAP sensor electrical circuit. What can I do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.Thanks
  • 10961096 Posts: 1
    Do you need a code reader to figure out the MIL problem and code #'s. I have a 03 Dakota 4WD 4.7L w/ 26,000 miles. I tried the on-off-on-off-on method but no code # shows up on the odometer.
  • jlabadiejlabadie Posts: 1
    I install a new set of brake pads on the front of my 2002 dodge dakota and
    now the brake light stay on and when I put it in drive it blinks. How do I
    reset the light.