Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    ctic,
    check the site www.mercedesshop.com and click the Do it Yourself change oil Part 2 and you will have an idea how to take and install the filter..
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    The current issue of Today's SUV magazine features an ML430 being hooked up for an entertainment system. They were using the front headrests for installing the small monitors and i think they're also utilizing the glove box for something. I just happen to have a quick glance at it over my lunch break.
  • sydney6sydney6 Posts: 64
    I just had Service B done (at Hohen). The front pads were replaced, plus I had them rotate the tires. I paid about $300 for those two things.

In addition, they replaced the steering wheel because there was something sticky (like glue) coming through the leather wheel, and they replaced (for the 2nd time) the arm rest from bubbling. Lastly, they replaced the black decals on the B pillars because of peeling. They must get a lot of complaints about that, because each time I bring it in for service the SA always checks them whether I ask or not, and they almost always replace them.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    I can't believe the level you guys and gals are doing on this site. When I got my E-430, I went over there to that post and keep my time down from ole edmunds, usually 5-8 posts daily. Lots of old names here. I started about 14 months ago when I shopped and eventually got my ML320. I take breaks here because of the pace!

speaking of brakes, what kind of miles are you people getting till replacement on original pads.

Stanly of maitland, you still out there??

Drew, nice phone! I have seen your cars, driveway, neigborhood, where you take your car, the inside of your car, the outside, detailed closeups of your mud flaps, pictures of crashed vehicles, pictures of red ML55 driven by a lady you stalked, pictures of the red paint you applied to your brake housing, pictures of the products you use to clean your car, pictures of the decal that fell of your motorola phone, but Drew, will we ever see a picture of YOU???????
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Grab a free copy of Adobe Acrobat and to read the PDF file.

Basically it's the panel in the front passenger footwell, where the aux. 12 volt outlet is located. You'll see two screws holding the plastic piece there. Unscrew those and then you'll see the black blower unit. There is a pop-out cover that you can remove on the right side (IIRC) and the filter simply slides out. I removed mine a while ago to knock out some of the dust. I'll replace it soon. You really should have a look at the PDF file (from Bosch) since it is illustrated and has more details.

Good luck!
    I might have an explanation for this. I just remembered that MB did change the lugs from the silver coloured variety to the black ones since some people had problems with the former ones rusting. I assume that since you have a '01, you have these black lugs (the late production '00s also had the black lugs, IIRC). Perhaps MB changed the sizes slightly too? I noticed that Louis has the same lugs that I do (the silver ones).

Actually up to the this point, I didn't even realise that those chrome pieces were only covers for the lugs. All this time I thought that they were replacements.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

I thought you are talking about the oil filter thats why I gave you the mercedes shop site. well for those of you who wants to know how and what to do to change oil..its there.
    Are those bicycle(foot) pump really works for the big tires?
    I have had any problems with this setup, and I personally find that it's much better than those foot pumps since the hand pump's cylinder has more volume and you don't have to pump it as many times.

This particular pump that I have has a 100 psi capacity. Since the tires themselves max out at 45 psi (at least, that's the max. cold tire pressure that Dunlop specifies; I fill mine to 31 psi), so it's not an issue at all.

I finally get a hold of my SA at MB San Diego and soon as I mentioned the center console problem He said he will order it and I have an appointment next Friday. MB need to increase some QA on these simple thing.

Sidney, Did you have your wiper"refill" replace? How about your pollen Filter inside the car the one below the glove box. I'm just curious because mine is getting close to B service.
    My brake calipers are painted black (from the factory). No red paint here :-).

Let's just say that us hosts prefer to remain faceless and anonymous to a certain degree. ;-) However, on the same token, will we see a picture of you?

BTW, just got an E-class phone faceplate. Pictures later, probably in the E-class topic. I think you'll
    like it too.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    You missed it. About 6000 posts back Drew posted a picture of himself (and Dad?) driving an E. Go back, it still might be there. Also, on one of the pictures he took, there is a very good reflection of himself holding the camera on a chrome piece, but of course it's a reverse image.

Drew: Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the filter.
  • sydney6sydney6 Posts: 64
    I don't know. They did replace the whole wiper/washer fluid reservoir because they noticed it was leaking. I don't know about the filter...is it part of FSS B?
    I'm not sure either, I'm just concern, did you see the picture of dirty filter that was posted a few days ago..its yukkie, with out that filter where those dust going... to our lungs. If its not covered I'll have to change it myself.
  • ck53ck53 Posts: 4
    Drew: I want to fit foglamps to the brushguard and am prepared to use MB or aftermarket. How difficult is it to wire up the lamps to the switch already installed in the vehicle(2001 ML320). Does anybody have information on wiring auxilary foglamps?

Thanks
  • drivenowdrivenow Posts: 45
    I just came back from my local MB dealer, where I put $500 down on a 2002 ML 500. I wanted to specify exact options (order codes...) however my dealer "checked the computer, and MBUSA has not yet released the codes... and exact options/colors/specs cannot yet be entered into the system." So, thus far, I have a generic handwritten invoice specifying "Onion Blue, 2002 ML 500, Sport Pkg, K2a Phone, Xenon," - OOPS, forgot the sunroof and M3 pkg. The problem is, without the exact list of possible ordering codes, I'm lost... Will any of these options be standard, what new options or colors will be available, WHEN will I be able to see 2002 ordering info, WILL the dealer merely enter the order as handwritten today?, do I continue to be a pest and check back daily, weekly, monthly to see when the "system" will take the order... I want an early production vehicle. Can anyone make any suggestions about how I can make sure I will get the specific options that I want? Thanks, I find this site and all of your advice very helpful, and you all are infinitely more knowledgeable than my local MB dealers.
    ck53,
    They are very easy,just like 1,2,3 job. and instruction is come with the light.

For kenyee...check this out :-)))

Is this true?

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010525/ts/autos_cities_dc_1.html

• farkafrafarkafra Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ML320 with 10K miles. It has had a vibration or shaking problem since day one. It gets worse as the day heats up and as the roadway gets worse. It doesn't change with speed. The whole vehicle shakes. You can see it in the visors, the front passenger seat and the steering wheel. It is so bad you can't rest your head on the headrests, it feels like some one is kicking the back of the seat. The dealer (Fletcher Jones) at first tried to fix it. They balanced the tires, then replaced the front tires because they couldn't balance one on them. This worked for about 5 miles and then the vibration was back. Last time they replaced the rear left strut and linkages to fix a clunking that came when I drove into a driveway. This helped with the vibration for about 1K miles. Now it's back. The dealer now says it drives normally. I have driven new ones, loaners and friends and none do this. They refuse to fix it. Any body have anything like this?
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    Take it to another dealer.

Also contact regional representitive. I think others here will be more helpful to your cause.

Could motor mounts be bad?? Bad tires???

Good luck and let us know how your experience pans out. Others will help you im sure (Drew?) and you in turn will pass on valuable info.

Good luck!

Drew: I have yet to post a picture. But no offense intended. I am always blown away by your willingness to share and are so helpful to many. With so many pictures posted, and details given, I feel I know you, but not visually. Just a comment in passing!
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    drivenow:
    Stop by www.keysolutions.com/M-Class for more info on 2002 info (search for MY2002).
    Also check out the m-class archives at escribe (www.escribe.com and search for m-class, then MY2002). Tarik put up some pkg info. Don't think it had order codes though.

biker5:
    Boston drivers are indeed very annoying. Their definition of a "safety gap" between cars is "so no one can safely cut in". Drives me nuts since I get cut off like crazy because I leave a real safety gap.
    And F means something else besides the grade....flipping people off.
    However, they are no where near what drivers in Euro/Asians countries drive like...a visit to Paris, Rome, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong will make you believe Boston drivers drive like angels. The common denominator seems to be big city dwellers. They're almost always bad :-)
  • pooliopoolio Posts: 18
    Had a simular problem,Found out it was the tires.My ml came with Generals tires,had them rebalanced and rotated still had the vibration.Dealer put grandtrek-dunlops on the car and it elimited the problem.Maybe its the tires.
    Good luck
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    Any order prior to the official MB release of appropriate codes and pricing is basically only an order from the dealer you placed it with. In-other-words they have not placed an order with Mercedes and are waiting to get the info.

What you are doing is getting on the first allocation for that dealer so you get first delivery. This is provided all the options you want are going to be available in the first allotment. Some options debut later.. such as Parktronic. I have not heard of the Sports Package for 2002 (the new bumpers really reduce the need for this other than the fender flares which are not part of the new facelift).

They want your business so they're not going to tell you to wait and come back in a few weeks. When they do get the official info. you will probably get a call and an explanation of options and pricing.. then the order will be entered into the official MB system.
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    i wired up fogs which i ddin't buy from MB. was kind of a pain. I used the existing aux fog wire from under the hood and connected it to a relay. THis relay is used to turn on /off the lamps. THe fogs draw power from the ml's battery.

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    Anyone on this board with a ML 55 at Nunan's Lobster Shack in Kennebunkport, ME on Friday?
    BTW, lobster prices are way up this year!!!!!!
    Yes, I actually met former President Bush and his wife in town at a dedication of a park bench. He and Barbara (4 strands of pearls) posed with my wife for pictures. They were very cordial.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    i've had such good luck with these that i replaced them withthe same. cost 65$ each installed, can't beat them. maybe the problem above was an "out of round tire" in which a belt breaks and as the speed increases the tire diameter changes and allows an imbalance. had this happen on a front right perelli, changed tire no more problems. I wonder when we will get more info on future ML for o2, when do car mags start showing new for 02?
  • proteus456proteus456 Posts: 65
    Does anyone know if I'll be able to get the Xenons on a 2002 ML320 without the sport package? The sport package seems like the "designo" stuff...pretty much a very expensive way to gussy up your ML, appearance only.
    Also, will the 2002 come out at MSRP, or will I be able to deal..trying to determine if I should pick up a 2001 model at invoice, or pay a few k more for 2002 at close to MSRP. I REALLY like that rear climate control..:-)
    Thx
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Yes, you can get Xenons as a separate option.
    The order is locked down 1 month before the build date, so you'll get a call from your salesman to finalize your options at roughly that time...
  • gereldgereld Posts: 9
    Has anyone taken the factory delivery option for the M-Class? Does anyone know approximately when dealers will begin taking orders for the 2002 models?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    For those of you wondering how the '02 ML looks like, there is an official picture of the front from the MB Germany dealer's option guide that shows the new headlamps + front bumper with foglamps, and the new wheels (I don't like them).

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/pdf/M-163.pdf

Also, this picture from the back is probably about 90% accurate of the real thing

http://216.122.199.143/uploads/pics/ML%202002%20rear.jpg

Hope this helps for those of you trying to decide between the '01 and '02.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I think it looks handsome, in a 2001 sort of way. I don't own one so I am not intimate with it's looks, but I really don't see too big a difference (the bumpers?).

If I had been holding my breath waiting for the 2002, I would be disappointed. Of course, there's always 2006, right?