Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Thanks for the help

Rich
  • wbreauxwbreaux Posts: 33
    We have a 2000 E320 and love it. Am considering getting a SUV. The Mercedes looks better to me than the Lexus and I suppose the cost is about the same. The one major difference I've read is the Lexus drives more like a car. I would appreciate any comments/observations on this or other differences between the two.
  • Sorry that this is off topic...but the trunk release on a 1996 C220 is a push down button. They changed it to the pull up switch on the 1998 models.

-Todd
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Someone said that the ML is a truck that rides like a car, and the RX300 is a car that rides like a truck, what it all means is the ML is a truck, with a heavy ladder frame, good for towing specially in difficult situations since it has a low range box, and very decent off road. The steering is very precise like your E class.

On the other hand the RX300 is built on a car platform, not as sturdy, without a frame, yes the ride should be more car like.
    I have an ML430 and considering that it is a four wheel drive vehicle I find the ride quite good.
  • Mike; My dealer said you can purchase the extended warranty up to 40K miles (and not 'till 1 year after delivery as I thought). Their price has been the same since day one; $2500. I have 24K miles on my 17 m/o ML. If you can get a better deal, let me know. I'm interested.

Dave; Welcome! What took you so long?
  • As I test drove an ML320, I was quite impressed. The two questions I have are has anyone towed much with these and does not being able to easily reach the stereo volume control ever get to you? Thanks.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    The question about the stereo volume button has been discussed several times before. Some people don't find it easy, but despite the fact that I'm under 6', don't have gorilla like arms, and sit with the seat as far back as possible, I can touch the button quite easily.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I tow a pair of three seaters jetskies and a large trailer with other gear, about 3500lbs with no problems, average speed 75, sometimes for over 1000 miles (to the Fla Keys) with an ML430. I know off a fellow who pulls a car trailer with a racing car with an ML320, to different tracks, I asked him about, he said no problem.
    Also keep in mind that the ML has a low range gearbox, it is a plus when in difficult situations, you can keep the vehicle in low range and put the selector in first gear, is almost a crawler gear, go to the dealer and try it, it will pull hard.
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    I'm 5'9" and have no problems. It looks like it would be a problem from where they're placed, but in real use, I'm comfortable changing radio stations, etc.
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    Maristella: The 4 yr 50K M/B Premium Extended Warranty must be purchased within 1 year of purchase by the original purchaser. E-mail me and I will tell you where I purchased my ML warranty at a considerable discount (thanks drew)
  • Are these at all discounted in Texas? I live in Austin and there is one dealer so I'm guessing the price won't be the best. 1 Dealer in a town of 1 million!!!

Also, is there anything new for the 2002 coming?
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    When we bought our ML we had tried many suv's. Had an RX300 for 2 days then drove the ML.
    Technology of ML is far superior.

2. RX has a front drive Camry engine/transmission mounted sideways as in most front drive vehicles. The shortcomings of that set-up are many but one that was particularly irksome to me was the 42 foot turning radius. I simply could not turn in quick enough to park in my spot without backing up twice. When i finally discovered the spec that lead to this dilemma I realized the RX would be no where near as maneuverable as the ML. The ML has a logitudinal drive train which is far more efficient.

3. Misc.: RX is a 4 speed trans not 5; no low range; not in any spec as heavy duty as the ML; ML has 4 wheel traction control in addition to fulltime 4 wd with a 50/50 torque split; the RX is front wheel drive that kicks in the rear only when needed and in our climate requires the optional limited slip rearend to be effective in snow.

4. both are good vehicles backed up by the best manufacturers' service and warranty policies (I've had both Merc and Lex). The Ml is way cooler.

5. I am often asked about gas mileage. To the surprise of all I get over 20 mpg consistently, winter and summer. When I commute the 38 miles to my office I can get 24 mpg without trying.
    No SUV can compare, that is a real SUV.

Hope this helps and remember - test drive, test drive, test drive....
  • jferris1jferris1 Posts: 8
    I have the Michelin Cross Terrains on my 99ML320. I have about 1K miles on them and I'm very pleased with them. Much quieter than the original Generals. I had to take a size larger to get the Cross terrains (70 vs 65?), but everything is working fine.
  • mcferbrmcferbr Posts: 2
    Can anyone advise me on what I should pay for a 1999 ML 320, 17k miles, Black Opal, Gray Leather, Moon Roof, 6-Disc Changer, Bose Sound, StarMark Certified? It is in very good condition with a small door ding on one side and a paint chip on the other side. The dealer is asking $31,900. Thanks in advance.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    This '01 Jasper Blue/Ash ML430 with the Skyview roof option was at the Vancouver autoshow last weekend. Again, the picture doesn't do the colour justice. It's much brighter in person.

More autoshow pictures, including detailed ones of the all new '02 MB C230K coupe can be seen here:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=137587&a=12386777&f=0&sp=0

Bob (bob259) sent me pictures of his Hella MicroDE foglamp installation in the front bumper brake duct area. They complement his HID Xenon headlamps nicely.

• dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    What u guys think about fender flares ? hot or not ? Looks more muscular..but does is give the illusion that my wheels are smaller ? hmmm...
    how much are the OEM flares from MB cost anyway ? they are unpainted correct ? installation concerns ?

dt77
    00ml430
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Hi, everyone

Unless you activate the "city lights", you (on the US/CAN side of the Pond) will not be able to use the silver-look-flash-amber bulbs by Philips and Osram. These bulbs will probably fit in your receptacles, but they're single-filament (21W) and not like your amber ones dual-filament (21/5W). You will thus lose the 'corner lights', unless you get hold of a proper 5W bulb to put in the empty socket in the high beam reflector and do a bit of supplementary wiring.

Just my late-evening 2ç/0.02€

Birger

- who's off on early Easter holidays until 04/16 :-)
  • sydney6sydney6 Posts: 64
    Those are brake COOLING ducts, and given the M'Class' propensity to use it's brakes to control direction/traction (ESP), I would not think it wise to block the air duct leading cooling air to them.

Just my two-cents worth.....
    Nah, I don't think they'll overheat. Many ML owners have installed lamps in the same positions and have reported no noticable effects. I guess we don't brake the same way that the Germans may do on the autobahn ;-) Besides, Bob's lamps do not obstruct the openings completely, so air is still allowed to pass through that area.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards