Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Any pics of your DVD install? :-)
    Also, do you leave your hatch open when you lug all that stuff? I've lugged some long things that have barely fit w/ the 2nd row down, but I could have user more length...
  • hilldhilld Posts: 5
    I shall take some pictures tonight and will post them. Yes, the tailgate is usually open on those trips home from Home Depot or Ikea, but I use tiedown straps to hold part of the tailgate closed. Only once did I have to rent a trailer to haul back some furniture (didn't fit in the back).
  • noelbongnoelbong Posts: 41
    I average 16.7 mpg in my '00 320 with slightly less than 5000 miles on it, mostly driving in the suburb.

guys, how often should fuel injector cleaner be used? My Toyota Sienna van was making a funny noise until I used 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in 2 tankful of gas, it has about 27,000+ miles on it.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Absolutely no fuel and or engine oil additives are to be added, as per your owner's manual warning. So, don't risk it :-)
    I too have noticed how disproportionately quickly the top half of the fuel gauge reading drops in relation to the lower half. I suspected that was the shape of the tank, but never knew for certain. Thanks for confirming this!

Do you leave the vehicle in Drive or neutral at the stoplights? I leave mine in neutral at the longer stop lights (30 seconds or above) and sometimes the transmission won't let you move till it has properly engaged the gear, so as to protect itself from damage. I do get some occasional hesitation if quickly shift from Neutral to Drive and then step on the gas, but it's not that noticable. I do know that the earlier (4 speed) MB transmissions used to shift into 2nd gear when at a completely stop, so as to reduce vibrations from idling. I'm not sure if the ML's does though.

If this issue is easily replicable, I recommend that you bring the service department shop foreman or technician + your service advisor along for a test drive, and actually replicate the problem for them and point it out right there and then.

I hope this helps!
    Sounds like a very nice setup. Looking forward to your pictures! Feel free to post them in the MB M-class owner's club: Accessories and modifications discussion topic, and then let us know so that we can have a look :-)
    My neighbour just had the Michelin 4X4 XPC tires put on his '99 ML320. They look quite nice. Beefier tread blocks than the Dunlops or the Generals:

There seems to be a break-in period for the bulbs. It seems that when they're new, they look a bit more yellowish after warmup, but certainly a lot whiter and brighter than the halogen bulbs. However after a bit of use, they should stabilise and be whiter.
    Glad that you managed to install them without setting them on fire :-). Do you have any tips to add to the ones that were posted?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • cdiccdic Posts: 36
    I forgot about the fuel pump being cooled by the gas. I often let the light come on before filling up. I hope 12 leters is enough. (The light is a good thing, otherwise I might have to use the roadside assistance button.)

Most interesting about Castrol Syntec Oil as well. I have used it for a long long time, but will now reconsider using Mobil 1. (Got bad gas from a Mobil station once, caused a serious inconvinience, have avoided them ever since, lets see...that was in 1977!)

Ask your neighbor if the Michlins make more or less road noise than the OEM tires. Those are a bit beefier looking, and I would expect they may be a bit louder as well. Does it come in a 17" model for the 430's? (Never mind, I still have quite a few miles left to go on my OEM tires.)
    No. The XPC doesn't come in a version for 17" tires. We just went through this on the m-class mailing list. Only choices for off-roading are an upsized BFG AT/KO or Yoko Geolander.
    For on-road, I'd suggest looking at the new Dunlop SP5000s that will be standard for MY2002 on ML320/ML500.
    That is only provided the SP5000s will be available for 16" wheels for the '98-'01 ML320. Although the tire width is still 255, as you know, the '02s will all come with 17" wheels.
  • rover96rover96 Posts: 33
    forget about mpg, best thing to check is your fuel consumption & see how far your car can go with a tank full of gas, It's more accurate that way. I am driving to work everyday, 50 miles round trip with A/C on, 70 ~ 75 mph, sometime even go 80. hehe. (90% highway ,10% local driving) Engine gas mileage only gets better once the engine break in. BTW, leave it in Netural @ light (idle) will burn more gas!
    It will burn more gas in neutral? First time I've heard of that! How does that work?

A couple of years ago, one of the French auto manufacturers (Renault, I think) designed an auto tranny that would automatically go into neutral at stoplights and that saved up to 2 mpg in heavy stop and go traffic! I would think that it's better for the transmission too for longer periods, as you're not holding it back by using the brakes.

Drew
    Host
    I will ask the next time I see him :-)
  • hilldhilld Posts: 5
    The pictures have been posted in the Photo Gallery, here is the link:

"MB M-Class Owners: Photo Gallery DVD Entertainment System Pictures"
    ctic has an ML430, so 17" wheels and the Dunlop SP5000s should come in his size, no?
    I believe Ctic has a '00 ML320 with M7 ;-)
    Drew, thanks for the warning. Now I have to go check my Sienna's manual, hopefully it is okay to use fuel injector cleaner on the Sienna.

BTW, how does MB vehicles keep the fuel injector clean if no cleaner is to be used? Just curious.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    ctic has a 00'ML320 with M7 (if that's the 3rd row seats) :-)

There's a cdic here also. Maybe you mean him/her?
    They probably use something similar (perhaps stronger?), but because of the fact that they have no control over what you may buy and put in, that's probably why they don't want you to add any additives yourself.

Drew
    Host
  • globus1globus1 Posts: 1
    My brand new 01 ML320 has only 500 miles and I also noticed same problem neicey59 describes. It happened two or three times. Just yesterday, after stopping at red light I pushed the gas pedal, and guess what, instead of zooming forward the truck went into thinking mode for a moment and then changed its mind and began the motion. Luckily there were no drivers behind to confuse when my break lights went off. I also noticed slight shaking of the car preceedding that moment. Do these episodes warrant a trip to the MB service department? Could it be fuel from a particular vendor? I only filled the tank once with 93 octane fuel. As neicey59 I also appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
    Sorry ctic :-)
    cdic asked if XPCs were available in 17" for his ML430...
  • biker5biker5 Posts: 199
    It could be the gas, yeah you put a 93 octane gas, But it depends if you got it from a good gas station IMO try to get your gas from diffirent gas station and if the problem is still there, its time to visit your dealer. quite a few on people on this board replaced their gas pedal,linkage and actuator for the similar problem. I cross my finger I don't have a problem similar to that on MY2000 ML320.
  • jn320jn320 Posts: 5
    I have had problems with my 320 hesitating within the first mile in the morning . At a stop sign, the engine acts like it is running on four cylinders and the tach needle jumps around. I put it in neutral and the revs go to about 800 then it surges to 1200 then goes back down to around 800 and runs fine. The dealer told us to use mid grade gas. That didn't help. They are now going to replace the engine control module and see if that helps.
    I dont know about the French, it may be something to do with a stick shift engine & clutch..., so all this combination may cause some different....
    Back to the point, simple, when u shift it out of netural, do u get a higer RPM? higher rpm means more air & fuel mixture, that in turn will drive the specific fuel comsumption up (fuel burn).

there are some few tricks I learn when I get my aircraft A&P license, It is helpful,
    battery installation +ve first, removal +ve last.

oil filter(can type, not applicable to ML320 or canister type) - put some oil inside filter housing before screw it in the block.
  • mihalikc1mihalikc1 Posts: 2
    I have a one week old 2001 ML320 with 350 miles. Enjoy the vehicle, but had it hesitate as I took off from a red light a few times on the original tank of gas from the dealer. Filled it up for the first time with 93 octane and it seemed to run well, but was mostly highway driving. Just filled it up today with mid grade 89 from a major gas company, and once again it seemed to hesitate, especially if the a/I is running. I had spoken to the dealer and they had set up a service visit, but I stupidly cancelled it yesterday when it seemed to be running well.
    Any ideas? Is this a frequently occurring problem for others?
    I did notice my ML hesitated too, but for only one or two times lately, also at the light. The gas pedal felt kind of rough and when I pressed it further down it shot off (throwing me back into the back of the seat) after hesitating for a second or two. Didn't think too much of it though. I was thinking it could be the extremely hot weather we are experiencing in the Chicagland lately?
  • chaddschadds Posts: 11
    Click and Clack the Tappet brothers said in the Washington Post that it puts greater wear on your transmission to shift to neutral at a light than to leave it in Drive. You could go to the next extreme and if the light is long enough turn off your car. While I'm here let me say that the populace of North America who complained and wouldn't wait out the learning curve on the '98/'99 rear seat folding mechanism have caused us all to lose that middle seat that was an actual seat with long distance comfort. That was a run on sentence. We also lost the three independently folding seat backs. I'll miss these features when I trade.
    Chadds
    While you on this subject, I would like to point out the window switch on 98 model, With the way it design, anyone can open or close the windows without even lifting your finger. Its a single point operation switch. I kind of like it. Too bad they change it afterward.