Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    Well, at least we will be able to drink the water now. :)
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    lovemyclk:
    Glad MB stepped up to the plate on that one. I would have felt the same way your wife did.
    What's the build date on it? Just wondering if others on that date were affected.

johnnyc:
    You should have a production# when they booked your order. With that #, you can check on the build date. Your salesman should have called you one month before the build date to confirm your options. At the one month point, it will have a build date and you can't change options. At this point, you will also have a VIN assigned.
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Posts: 13
    Just wondering if anyone has actually seen this green yet-I keep dropping into the dealer in hopes of seeing on any model before I decide if that's my next choice. I've hated most of the MB greens and especially this latest, "Aspen", as it had too much yellow in it.

What I'm hoping is that Everest is the color that you see on so many of both the previous generation Acura Legends. Just a deep black-green, with little metallic to interfere.

Info, anyone?

Also, I'm the one the dealer told to start using 87 octane fuel to manage the hesitation caused by the anti-knock sensor software- Who would've guessed, but it actually DOES WORK! If I were planning to keep the car past a couple years, I'd be pissed about using the lesser-quality fuel and damage to engine components, but since not, it's cheaper and it works. Go figure-it would still be nice if MB could actually fix the inherent problem and not have to resort to that kind of ridiculous recommendation.

Thanks.
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Posts: 166
    That's the one thing I keep getting amazed at when I see people hitting the pumps.

The gasoline companies do their best to confuse you, calling one 'premium' and the other 'regular' (for those not native to the US, that's 93 and 87 octane, respectively).

Octane isn't a measure of quality in a fuel. Granted - some gas formulations come with extra 'detergents' in the premium gasoline to merit calling it that - but it's not an indication of how clean the gasoline is. It's a measure of just how effectively it will resist detonation.

Detonation is the enemy in a gasoline combustion engine. Basically - you've got an additional explosion happening within the cylinder - one being the expected one, coming from your spark plug - and the other, being detonation occurring from the gasoline and air mixture becoming unstable and catching fire. Octane measures just how resistant the fuel is to catching fire this way. The pings you hear are detonation.

No measure of gasoline quality there. Many car manufacturers design their cars to run on regular gasoline, 87 octane or equivalent, and if yours runs there without detonation, that's where you should run it.
    I should check my bill of sale, right? That should have the order number on it.
  • Actually I stand corrected on the build date. Salesman just called back to say that it was actually built on Mon 10/15. The factory sent him the VIN yesterday which is when he called me to give me an update. He didn't notice the build date until today which is when he called back to give me another update and to inform me that we need to complete the paperwork sometime next week.

As far as the date given to me. On 8/31/01 my dealer faxed to me a "Factory Delivery Summary" which gave all the personal details of who was going to actually be at the factory during delivery. My address, travel info etc. It also shows the "off line date" and delivery schedule which includes the tour, off road experience and handover time. This form also came with a "Factory Tour Guidelines" sheet which is now obsolute b/c of the shutdown.
  • I suggest that you push a little harder for info from your salesman/dealer. They should know this info by now as well as build dates into the month of December.

I believe you're getting the run around. As mentioned before our vehicles are identical (which includes bose/M7) and there is no delay with that as of today.
  • Has anyone leased a 02 ML yet? If so if you don't mind sharing the particulars such as money factory, payment, downpayment etc.

Thanks
    It's not an order#. It's a production#. The dealers get a list of production#s from MB. When you put a deposit down, you should get allocationed one of these production #s. It's something you should have asked for. You can then call and bug them about it since they can't allocate it to someone else :-)
  • gustavmgustavm Posts: 43
    Question (again...)

Does anybody know if it is feasible, having failed to order option package M2, to add the trip computer / power folding mirrors combination in the aftermarket, or by MB service dept.?

I would love to add the option to our '02 ML320, if possible.

Drew? Wolfgang?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-- Gustav
    I didn't think I would get that kind of number so far in advance of delivery. My mistake - my bill is devoid of such a number (there's a spot for 'order number' - and it has 'special order' filled in).

Stay tuned to find out if I have to eat my words about what great service I got from MB ;)
    gustav:
    I think it'd be cost prohibitive...

john:
    Dealers are representatives of MB, but not all dealers or salesmen are alike.
    I ordered mine a year in advance (got in line for next year's model); no production# in that case, but he told me how far down in line I was. When they got their first set of production#s, mine proactively called me to tell me what it was and an estimated build date. He then gave me a VIN# a month before it was built. When it was delayed for release, he also called me and let me know.
    which would mean I'm under a month before being built (if you estimate at least a week or two transit time from factory to NYC).

I get this feeling I'm being lied to - but I'm also paranoid ;) I'll wait until I can see he's avoiding the question before I pass judgement.
  • ml320ml320 Posts: 22
    "We didn't just build a better SUV. We built a better Mercedes.
    The redesigned M-Class."

Just saw this TV ad for the first time, and like it.
    What do others think?

Wolfgang
  • grohsgrohs Posts: 8
    After following the posts in this group for a couple of months, ( and yes I read them all ), I purchased a dealer's courtesy vehicle, a 2000 ML320E, with 24,000 kms.

Driving it home, a two hour trip, the rear cargo lamp would flicker on and off. I pulled over to have a look and could see the switch was in the "on" position and the bulb resting against the lens.
    Thinking this was an easy fix, I opened the hinged lens and the bulb fell out along with one side of each of the paired contact arms.
    It's as if the metal was work hardened or made brittle from the heat of the bulb. There is no way that the metal, which should have a degree of springiness to facilitate bulb replacement have broken off at the formed corners.

I called the dealer and they will have a new lamp assembly waiting for me at the next service. I just wanted to give the group a heads up on this, I want to check the rest of my lamps, but maybe it's better left to the mechanic.

Is there a way to have all your lamps activate while in the vehicle, rather than operating each individually, similar to when you unlock and open the a door? I've checked the manual but can't find a thing.

brian
  • I saw the commercial - it's catchy. I also noticed it shows the new base price - which is totally confusing to people in Florida. why? because the old billboards (for the 01 models)are still everywhere citing a $35,800 base.

I got my ML at $35,800 in June with the M1, M7, BOSE, metallic paint, and power sunroof. I wish I had opted for a truck with the M2, however, the only ones available with the M2 option didn't have the 3rd seat (a must for those disney trips) and Mercedes wasn't taking orders for the 01 after May 01 (or so stated the dealer).

I purchased the extended warranty (for up to 100,000 miles) and will try to hold on to this baby until the 2007 model which according to sources will be da bomb! This model should have the steering wheel controls, a choice of a regular or XL platform, and all the other things we note as missing from the current model.

Drew? correct me if I am wrong..is it the 2007 or 2008 model year that is to be a total redesign?

Neicey
    It's actually sooner. MY2002 + 3 = MY2005...T minus 3 years.
    Hope the prototypes we've seen are wrong...
  • I think the spy shots those of us have seen are for the GST model which is inbetween the E wagon and ML I believe.I also concur that there will be a complete new 2 size version of the ML in 3-4 years.

Pics of GST from "car connection":

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4126&n=156,178&sid=178

Notice I didn't post the picture this time!;)

Also this popular web site shows the new ML in MY2004:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/roadmap.htm

Jack

MB has been relatively consistent about their designs:
    - refresh every 2 years
    - facelift on 4th year
    - full redesign 3 yrs after facelift

The E and ML have followed this pattern...the MY2005 will show up in 2004. Maybe that's where the confusion lies?
  • geos55geos55 Posts: 2
    I HAVE BEEN READING THIS COLUMN FOR MONTHS, YOU
    GUYS REALLY KNOWS ALOT MORE THAN THE SALE CONSULTANTS IN MY LOCAL DEALERSHIPS.I JUST PURCHASED A 02 ML55 2 WEEKS AGO, I AM EXTREMELY SATISFY.I WAS ABLE TO GET $2000.OFF MSRP. THAT WAS JUST ABOUT THE BEST I CAN DO IN THE SAN FRANSICO AREA. I HAVE ABOUT 800 MILES ON IT NOW,
    GAS MILAGE IS NOT THAT GOOD, BUT IT GOT POWER!!
    Kenyee,

Could you try to put a range to "cost prohibitive"?

-- Gustav
    called my dealer today, and got my production number.

Didn't get my VIN (forgot to ask, actually) but did get a build date as well - 10/23/01. Apparently, from that point, it will take 3-4 weeks to actually receive the car.

Does that sound about right? I'm glad to hear that there's a production number assigned. I got very good vibes from this dealer, and finding out they were messing with me would have shot any confidence I had in auto dealers, period.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Congratulations! You have a fine machine there, very few have an AMG engine.

Yes fuel comsumption is going to be higher, but if you could afford the 55, enjoy it. Life really is short, some things we enjoy now, later in life it will not give the same trill.

When my father got into his late sixties, I asked him to come with us into a little jungle expedition, he said no thanks, at his age he would enjoy more a good glass of vine and a fine hotel lobby, now, once in a while I find myself studying good hotels, Gawd, I am going to figth it for as long as I can. (I just started restoring my Unimog)

Enjoy,
  • Looks like many of you ordered your ML and trying to figure out when the baby will be delivered. I purchased my ML right off the dealer lot (yes, they did have exactly what we wanted). I am trying to provide some date/time info to see if it could be any help for you, but do remmeber that my ML is "mass produced", not like your "customized" to your order.

Build date: Sep5-Sep7
    Final Inspection: Sep 15
    To the dealer lot: Sep 25
    Going Home: Sep 29, with 5 miles on it :-)

Good Luck!

BTW, how lucky of you who have 400CDI or 55AMG! Congratulations!!!
    those numbers seem to be in line with what I was told.

That's why I mentioned I didn't want to jump to conclusions about my dealer. The only reason I had second thoughts was because of the treatment I received from other dealers while I was searching for the car.

How's your ML been treating you?
    gustav:
    I'd have to guess the folding mirrors would be at least $500 installed (parts are at least $250 if I remember right since you have to get new assemblies). I'd suggest you give your dealer a call if you're that curious...

john:
    Sounds about right (though 2-3 for delivery is more realistic). I'd suggest you get the VIN so you can give it to the insurance company so they can get you some paperwork now.
    Kenyee,

Thanks for your answer. At $500, that'd be less than the M2 option itself, not a bad deal. I would pay up to $1,500 for the power folding-mirrors and the trip computer.

BTW, I did ask my dealer, and he told me that it was not feasible, but then again he didn't know that you could order the single-CD AND the 6-CD changer, so I am not sure how knowledgeable he is. He also discouraged me from getting the Xenons, why, I don't know. He insinuated that they were more trouble than they were worth. Since I was in a little bit of a rush to get my car and they didn't seem to have any vehicles coming with those two options, I didn't insist to much, to my chagrin.

That doesn't mean, though, that I am not tremendously enjoying the car. It's so far surpassed all expectations I had about it.

-- Gustav
  • mymlmyml Posts: 12
    What dealership did you purchase your ML55 in the SF Bay Area ? $2000 Below MSRP seems a good deal around here. I just spoke to my credit union and according to him, the one I want ML320, Silver/Ash, M1, M5 & M7 is going at MSRP in a dealership around San Jose area.
    gustav:
    Probably means he doesn't want to do it. Did you ask the service department or the salesman? You might want to see if you can ask different service departments to see if they want the challenge :-)
    FYI, retrofitting mirrors has been asked quite a bit. No answer yet that I know of...
  • Just got a 99 430 last month.FSS is up in 4100 miles. I'll get an oil change with Mobil 1 right? Question is after this I want to change the oil every 3-5k with Mobil 1 myself. Will this void the warranty and what is the best one to use . I'm in southern cali. I heard you can bring your own oil to the dealer and ask them to do it for$35 less than the price of an oil change. Thanks.