Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    sshowitt:
    Don't do it! Don't post questions like that! They'll censor your msgs!
    If you complain about censorship, they'll delete the msgs!
    If you email them and complain like they ask you to, your email will be deleted!

But, hey, it's not my forum.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,962
    Take a look at this message:
    steve_ Oct 22, 2001 8:50am

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Little-known High Performance Division Packs Extra Punch in Mercedes-Benz Cars

Steve
    Host

• mkwamemkwame Posts: 21
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. We've been shopping for an SUV we've narrowed our choices to the ML320 and the RX300. Ideally my wife prefers a 3rd row seat option; we've 2 kids 7 and 4 year old. We don't like the MDX the side looks like a mini van besides we don't want to wait 3month. RX may not be suitable for our long & hilly driveway on snowy nights (the wife works 2nd shift)We've spotted a 2000 model, black opal with charcoal leather interior w/ almost 15k miles at a Lexus dealership. It has the M1,M2 M7, Navi, Bose cd changer, chrome brush guard and running board or (step) for $37,900.
    I need your help, what is a reasonable offer for this vehicle. When I test drove it I noticed driver's sideview mirror vibrates badly, other than this it looks like a new ML.
    One place to start is looking at the True Market Value and hopefully someone will chip in with values for the extras that aren't listed under options there.

Steve
    Host

• I own a 2001 ML320 with every imaginable option. Before, I owned a 1998 ML320. It is a very nice SUV, and drives like a car. Concerning the mirror vibration,let a Benz dealer check it. It could still be under warranty. If you want more sites to check for a decent price to pay for that SUV, you may also check the Kelly Blue book (kbb.com) in addition to the Edmunds True Market Value numbers.

Good luck. Addai
  • shaker58shaker58 Posts: 120
    37900 is very high you can get a 2002 with same options for 41000 and they just did a restyling on the ml320
    Here's a grumpy review to cap off your Monday.

Steve
    Host

• Hello everyone,
    I am looking at two used ML 320's. The 1998 has 44,000 miles and the 1999 has 43,000. They should price out in the $28-30K range according to KBB. Can anyone help me determine which is the better way to go? Thanks in advance. Stephanie
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    sjeffery,

There is no comparison between the 98 and 99 models other than the obvious that they are both ML's. The 99 got major safety enhancements.. to include ESP, BAS, Frame rail mod. to enhance footwell rigidity, Auto Air Bag deactivation if proper MB child seat is placed in passenger front seat...There are probably even more enhancements.

Don't forget that newer is better for higher valuation and the 98's being the first year had many issues that were being worked out by 1999 but still present in some instances.

DO NOT BUY THE 1998!!!
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    I think $37.9K is way high. I paid $34K last summer for a 2000 with 19K miles; no NAV but it has skyview roof.

I love my ML. Its extremely comfortable and drives great. I didn't like the RX300's I drove, but to be fair, my sister and brother-in-law lived in Glastonbury and had an RX300 and loved it in the winter.
  • mtndogmtndog Posts: 12
    If your wondering where Drew can be found email me and I can let you know. I hope this makes it to the forum without being deleted!!!!!!!!!
    Well, you can also google for "drew mb m class" and he'll show up in the list of hits :-)

Steve
    Host

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I hope this makes it to the forum without being deleted!!!!!!!!!

I can see that many regulars might want to know. Let's just not make a habit of it!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Is that tidester as in "Crimson Tide?"

Roll Tide,
    gwp
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is that tidester as in "Crimson Tide?"

Roll Tide

No - but all my 'Bama friends are convinced of that and who am I to disillusion them? :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • ams64ams64 Posts: 1
    I brought my 2000 ML320 in on Monday. They still have it. The extra power socket under the glove box does not work. The radio goes to static whenever the rear window defogger is on. The door locks seem to continue to run after locking or unlocking the doors. The engine makes a squeek when turned off. The only thing they have been able to fix is the power outlet. They think they will need it all week to fix. What is really sucky is they give me a chevy cavalier to drive. What a piece of crap.

As anyone else experienced these problems? I usually get the same canned statement from the service people "Never seen that before". I must have some luck because no matter what model I buy I always here that statement when I take it in.
    According to an article I just read, M-Class owners are older (wiser?)than the G-Class target market. The link is this way:

steve_ "Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)" Nov 14, 2001 8:32am

Steve
    Host

• chaddschadds Posts: 11
    Please read the archives of this forum and you will find discussions of owners actual experiences in serious road conditions, strong winds etc., how esp worked for them as well as the other safety features. I find that, though interesting for a while, continued discussion of what interior color we ordered gets...... It as if we are in the "joy of ordership" when the forum used to concentrate on the joy of ownership. Well, it is a town hall and people can talk about what they want. Thanks. Why did UGOs have rear window defrosters? To keep you hands warm while you were pushing them.
    Don't forget the Owner's Club.

Steve
    Host

• Hey folks, we are currently driving on our vacation and in our '00 ML430. The MCS radio and nav system completely locked up while we were trying to look up a new destination. The CD player was on, and we couldn't turn it down or switch to anything else. The nav input screen remained displayed. When we stopped and restarted the car, the whole unit is black. I here the CD spinning in the Nav but no display, can't turn it on... Anyone have anything similar happen, and resolved. At this point we are scheduled to go to the dealer in the AM. Thanks,
  • Read through the messages and found one that solved my problem for now. Pull the fuse to the MCS, and it reset. Everythings all better. Just like my Windows computers! If it happens again we will need to take it in, but for now we continue on our road trip! TTFN
  • wolfxwolfx Posts: 72
    as far as the knick-knack electronics and stuff? I figure after 4 years of production, it should be solid inside and out. I'm narrowing my choices to the ML and MDX, and was curious to hear what '02 owners are experiencing.

Thanks!
  • maabmaab Posts: 41
    I was reading one of those car magazines and came across X5 4.6is. This puppy has ~350hp/350lb from a 4.6 engine. Our ML500 has ~300hp/300lb from 5.0 engine. My question is that is BMW that good in fine tuning their engines (across the board) or MB too conservative in building their engines? I know that ML55 will match the performance, but that is not the point. On the same note, don't forget that MDX is getting a new (better) engine also.
  • I'm looking at a 1998 ML 320 with 90,000 on it other than that it's very clean. would this be a SUV to buy?
    D'oh - reboot!

Glad to see you got back on the road - no better place to be :-)

Steve
    Host

• rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    From what I have read, stay away from the 98 as it was the fist year and had lots of problems.

I have a 2000 and love it.
  • Sorry, but you should really pass on the '98ML. It had many reported issues that would likely make you not enjoy the substantial money you would still be spending. I had a '99ML and owning it was not anywhere near as fun as the '02ML we traded it for.
  • Anyone with personal experience, or opinions on the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on an ML?