Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• I know that myself and others were looking for Navigation's CD for areas other than the CD we have. If you search on ebay for "Navigation CD" someone has all 10 posted, I only want region 6 so no bidding on that one :-) They start at $35.00 which is way less than what MB wants ($150 for one CD!!!)
  • Talked with someone who just bought a used 2000 ML430 that he said was built in Germany, with an inference that these were in some way better than the US built trucks. My impression was that we were shipping them to Europe, not visa versa. Are there really ML's sold in the US that are built in Germany, or was this guy misinformed?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,966
    I've heard that some of the ML55's were (are?) made in Germany, but I don't know about the other ML's. I suppose it's possible that they built some there while waiting for the Alabama plant to get up to full speed.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    I've heard that the ML's are built in Alabama and in Austria... none in Germany. My ML was built in Alabama. I tried to get a tour of the plant but after "Sept. 11", the plant was closed to tourists until further notice. They sent me a Mercedes key chain as a gift. Also, I don't think any of the Austrian ML's came to the US. Really wouldn't make sense considering the transportation cost. When you step foot in the Alabama plant, you are leaving the USA... it's pure German territory of which they tell you on the tour (a friend of mine had the lucky chance to go before the attack).... no passport needed though.

M.
    Right - I was thinking Graz (where a MB factory is) was in Deutschland :-)

Steve
    Host

• To my question about german built ML's. I suspect this fellow was misinformed (he said it was built in "Stuttgart"). If I see him again I will check out the build plate and see where it actually came from. Thanks again for the response.
  • I understood that only the ML400 which is a diesel based model was built in europe, and is not available in NA.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    ...see the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. The first 2 digits should indicate country of manufacture. See Decoding the VIN. If the first 2 says WA to W0, then the vehicle was made in Germany. If it says 1A to 10, then it's from the United States. Hope that helps.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    Would you guys know where I can find a copy of the ML mudguard install instruction? Thanks a bunch.
  • hey all,

here is some info (and a few spy shots) on the next-gen ML, from M-B spy, due at the end of 2004 as a 2005 model. enjoy!

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/w164.htm

-angel

• I'm getting ready to replace the OEM Dunlop tires, on my 99 ML430. After considerable research, I've more or less settled on the Michelin Cross Terrains in the 275/55/17 series, primarily because that's really what's available. I've looked at other size combinations, but since it's a leased vehicle, I have to think that a wrong size tire would cause some "aggresive behaviour" from MB Credit, come turn in time. They are expensive, but they seem to be the best of the available lot, in terms of snow performance. Any comments?
  • khoonkhoon Posts: 85
    I installed the same tires on my '99 ML320 and haven't had any complaints. I got them from Tire Rack and paid about $150/tire. You can't go wrong with the Michelins, especially after the garbage MB passed off as standard issue on the ML.
  • They call it something corny (I can't remember what exactly), and honestly, they are very easy going when you turn the car in. I've never had any charges that were at all unreasonable, so get the tires you want and worry not.
  • khoonkhoon Posts: 85
    I have a '99 ML320 with the 3rd row seats. Can I remove them and install them in a 2002, or 2003 ML320? I realize that the dealers probably will not step up to doing this. Is it technically possible - is there any reason that will preclude me from re-installing the seats in the new car?

Tx in advance.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    I just picked up my brand new MB ML500. I love it. I has lots of power and plenty of room for me. I'm not looking forward to looking at the million page owners manual.The dealer was extremely nice and they gave me a great lease deal: $425 a month for 36 months (no down payment). I would recommend this truck to everyone looking for a midsize semi-luxury SUV.
    Congrats on the new ML!

Steve
    Host

• Where do you live? This deal really interests me. I like ML 500. Russ.
  • I am seriously considering purchasing this vehicle. Can you tell me:

-If the car didn't come from the factory with the 3rd row seats, can I still pick some up and put them in? ie, Is it a dealer installed accessory?

-Same question regarding the nav system

-If it does have the 3rd row seats, are they removable?

TIA
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Remind me not to ask you for a car recommendation. :-)

tidester, host
  • brdrbrdr Posts: 7
    The Bose CD changer in my 98 ML320 is stuck. It won't play or eject. My service guy says he can only replace it. Not covered by warranty anymore, so that's a bummer. Has anyone experienced similar problems, any suggestions?

Thanks
  • rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    If it has the 3rd row seats, they are removeable. It is a dealer installed option, but expensive. I would avoid the 98's & 99's though, and go for a 2000 or newer.
  • Hi,

I thought this strange and perhaps not safe.
    My ML would not start, dead battery, from lack of driving. ML roadside gave it a jump, it started, but would fail to move. Tech said too many errors, had to clear them with a portable electronic device.
    If I was somewhare isolated instead of my driveway, and I got a jump start, I would not be able to drive the SUV? So if stuck in a remote, good isolated area, would be a real problem, if help was not nearby?

Scott
  • Guys,
    Getting another ML (long story, but had a 2000 which I sold when we moved). Finding great deals on 2000 and 2001 used, low-mile MLs. What I don't know is where there many mods between 2000 and 2001 that would justify the roughly 15-20% delta in used prices?
    Note that I understand model year and deprec diffs, etc - I can make that calc but what changed between 2000 and 2001 in features/function/etc.

Thanks
    Adam
  • kiiwii Sep 3, 2002 3:27pm

You can find the Mud Flaps Install at this link

http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=73 . If you can't access directly you can register then go to the DIY Publications section.

• Anyone heard whether there will be a 2003 ML55 offered? There isn't one in the official MBUSA website.

Debating whether I should buy a 2002 model.

Thanks

cliff
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I heard the reason it will not be offered anymore is two fold, first not enough demand for a high performance SUV, second liability, an SUV is not an ideal vehicle to go racing, when as a consequence people has an accident off course they will sue MBZ, you all remember the famous case in NY, where this rich girl had an altercation in a nigth club, she got mad and drove her ML55 into the crowd at the front of the club, things took a new twist when her clever lawyers took the case, the ML55 was too powerfull for the little rich girl to handle and she lost control, that vehicle is a danger, now MBZ got a hot cup of coffee on their laps.

Welcome to the times, nothing is my fault, I do no wrong.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    ...according to http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/071002_ML350_and_SE_Release.pdf but in limited production. And there does not seem to be any significant changes from the 2002 model, so it might be wise to get a 2002 model instead of waiting for a 2003 model.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    Joelea, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I tried to install the mudflaps without instructions the day after I received them in the mail. Err.... I pretty much gave up right after opening the box. These are the MOST complicated mudflaps I have ever seen =P Hey, thanks again for the instruction. This is going to help a lot!