Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone here used Eagle One leather care products for their seats? I saw it at Pep Boys. Thanks.
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Which of the leatherique products are you guys using since they seem to have several? I am currently using a product from Griot's garage. Do you know how that compares with Leatherique?
  • Options
    rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Use Lexol on leather ML.

I've used it with terrific results over the years on Subaru, Lexus and BMW seats and it seems to feed the leather rather than simply coat it.
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    Sidney6,
    I tried to compare the price from Hoehn with tax also they are only giving me 10% off the MSRP of any part and assy. I need. Still ordering from out of State with shipping won, even I have to wait for a while. BTW, what part of SD county you from? If you don't mine, You can e-mail me if you may. TIA
  • Options
    dimitri2dimitri2 Member Posts: 2
    had a97 ml bad than a99 430 problems then bought a2000ml320 the best one I ever had I put 17000 without a single problem I love it I think it is oh best suv in the world dont get me rong
    i stil love my s500200 i also have a97 jeep cherokee loredo wich i like very much no mater what people say
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "FRIDAY FREEWAY"
    Car Trivia Chat
    Date: Every Friday
    Time: 5-6pmPT/8-9pmET

About This Chat
    This chat is a place to meet others with similar interests, play Car Trivia, and talk cars.

We look forward to you joining us!

Ask about our Upcoming Winner's Circle!

Click here!
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/chat/freewaychat110300.html
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hoehn use to be in Memphis about 30 yrs ago selling Chevrolets and did quite well. Anyway, when I bought my timeshare at the Four Seasons Villas Carlsbad, I found out where they went. And I was also surprised to see the selection of Mercedes on the lot. I go every summer to that area and absolutely love it. Last summer they must have had 30 E classes and about 8 E class wagons to choose from... I've never seen a MB dealership with such a choice. When I bought my 2000 E430 sport in TN, there were on about 5 E's on the lot to choose from.

Dimiti2... are you using shorthand? I would love to see an s500200.... what power!
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    Yeah, the dealer I got my ML from is supposed to be the biggest in SOCAL. When I bought my 00 ml430, there were at least 20 on the lot. I didn't have to order anything, just went to dealer, picked the ML I wanted and drove it home a few hours later.

dt77
  • Options
    dt77,
    where did you get your 430, I got mine at Laguna Niguel and I thought they aaare the biggest, they don't sell any but MB. They are located at Laguna Niguel of course, along side I- 5.
  • Options
    downtown LA motors.
    they claim to be but who knows =) one look on the outside they dont' look big, but turns out the store all the cars close by under freeways ! man...i was shocked to see so many !

dt77
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I finally got all my pieces, including the jumper harness, and just finished installing the Xenon's in my ML.

The dealer is short help today, due to a couple mechanics being out sick and I'm out of town next week, so I will not be able to get them aligned till the following Monday.

Can't wait for it to get dark to see the difference, but will probably use the wife's car till I get them aligned, unless they don't look like they'll shine in the oncoming lane.

The whole installation took only about 20 minutes. Not bad.....
  • Options
    sydney6sydney6 Member Posts: 64
    Biker5: I live in north county, nearby to Hoehn.

DT77: Like biker5, I bought mine at MB Laguna, and they are huge. They would deal on price, where Hoehn would not. But since I live close to Hoehn I use them for service.

Mark156: Four Seasons Villas are very nice and very pricey. You must be doing well! But next time drive 45 minutes north and you will see a much bigger dealer at MB Laguna.
  • Options
    chicachica Member Posts: 13
    I have a pic you all might find interesting but don't know how to post it. Does it matter if it's a gif, jpg, bitmap etc. I know it can't be huge but please advice.

I'll be out of pocket until Tuesday so you all have a great holiday weekend and drive safely!
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    gpvs:
    Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean. If you order, mention the MB Mailing List discount.
    The only thing I've compared it to (and on a very dried up dirty leather jacket collar) is the Zaino Leather Conditioner. I used half on each. The Zaino side still had the dirt line (no surprise since it is not a conditioner) but the Leatherique side did not. The Leatherique side was a uniform color and was softer when I was done (2 coats of Zaino conditioner vs. rejuvenator and PC).
  • Options
    I was browsing the MBWORLD.ORG and found that MR Vanos is scheduling onother MB SO CAL Fun Run sometimes in Feb. Any of you guys/gals interested? I went the first time and its really fun the only problem... I was the only ML showed up and I'll tell you.. I can't keep up with the CLK,SLK CL a porsche and a BMW. Lets join them. Someone suggested Palm spring..
  • Options
    Thanks MI HIJA
    And also same to you, Drive carefully where ever you going. Have a nice long weekend. OH, Monday is a holiday here in CAlifornia.
  • Options
    Are you going to the 2nd MB SO CAL FUN RUN?
  • Options
    When and where?
  • Options
    beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    <<#975 of 1019  General Grabbers vs. Dunlop Grandtreks by dunecrest  Jan 11, 2001 (05:50 am)

How do folks feel about the comparability of these two tires? I have heard that some prefer the Dunlops (I have the Generals) yet MB uses both and the UTQG is slightly better for the Generals. I need some tires quickly and have found the Dunlops almost impossible to find. I can't find anything at all in a 255/65 16 at tire shops and the MB dealers locally stock the Generals. Tirerack is out of the Dunlops (they are on National back order) and they also just raised the price up to $95. TIA. >>

While some believe the Dunlops are better than the Generals, my opinion is that they are both, rather average in performance, which is generally the case with OEM tires. My brother has a 98 ML320, with Dunlops, and I have a 00 ML320, with Generals, and I found the performance of both to be rather uninspiring. In fact, I found the Dunlops to be rather squirmy in snow while at Mammoth Mtn., last year. However, they were handicapped by having only half their tread left.

If price is an object, I believe you are pretty much stuck with either OEM offering. Better tires, will cost you more. Have you considered looking in alternative sizes? Talk to the tirerack people.
  • Options
    beetlebug62beetlebug62 Member Posts: 72
    ...for their info on HIDs.
  • Options
    Biker5: Checked out MBworld.org and found this event is from LAST Sept (2000) I could find no info on an event THIS year, although I may take the family up to the local mountains this weekend to find snow! I am jealous of all your guys/girls who know how your rigs perform in snow.
  • Options
    curious ... did you to a retrofit that you purchased from dealer ... ?

dt77
  • Options
    so there ISN'T one in feb ? i'm kinda looking for these fun run thingys to go do in theSOCAL area.
    I might head up to the mountains for some boarding and snow drivin. dammit, might need to get some chains.

dt77
  • Options
    dt77, yes, you will need chains if you go up to Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead. It rained all day in Palm Springs yesterday and snowed 14 inches at Big Bear. I was wanting to take my Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadra Drive up there but I didn't want to get near the crazies who were bumping into each other. It's about 75 miles from the Desert. The Highway patrol required chains or you couldn't go up. Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    Mark156: I heard that you need chains or 4WD with snow tires, at least in the San Diego area mountains. Bummer....
  • Options
    zuludogzuludog Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, this is my first post, whoohoo!
    I 'm having little success removing water spots from various areas of glass on my ML.
    After half a dozen car washes and a some manual cleaning, theyre still there. I picked up my vehicle from the dealer at night so I didn't notice them there.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    sydney6, The highway patrol required that ALL vehicles have chains whether it's a 4x4 or not. They didn't mention anything about snow tires. I would feel much safer with the 4x4 rather than a 2x4. I recently drove my Jeep from TN to my home in the Desert and ran into a lot of ice in Arkansas and parts of Texas. I felt very secure with my four wheel drive system. The reason I watch this site is that I probably will trade my Jeep in on a ML430 early next year. Since I've had two Jeeps recently, I want to try something different. I hope that the 2002 ML's have rear air conditioning vents or even a rear air option. I want to get the third seat so I want to have plenty of air available on hot Desert days. Mark
  • Options
    maristellamaristella Member Posts: 23
    twimc: this is my original (and only) screen name. I check this site 2-3 times/wk only know since i'm too busy.

David; my ml's bolts are silver. afaics they look ok...should I unscrew one to check for rust?
    You only have 7500 miles on your ml? I guess it's a 2nd car 'cause I remember you got yours before I did and mine has 22600! but you know here in Atl. anywhere you go is at least 20 miles away.
    Hope your brakes stay ok.

Drew; I enjoyed last Fridays chat. I was Mar (too lazy to type such a long name) BTW, it's Friday! E-see ya' there.

Bye, mijos
  • Options
    plankplank Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a ML430, 2000 model with the GAS. It came with the Mid-Atlantic map, (Disc #8) I am looking for the Ohio Valley map. Mercedes Ben (nationally) says that they would have to back order the disc for me, and to contact my dealer, he says the same..... Does anyone own the Ohio Valley map, (Disc #6), and/or would be willing to trade? Please drop me an em-ail at cdplank@uplink.net Thanks...
  • Options
    mdlewis1mdlewis1 Member Posts: 4
    Just as an FYI. If your in a bind and need an update/region, you can burn a copy as a temporary solution until you can get the licensed CD.
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    I apologize for "running" while in the chat room, but my comp acted up and displyed empty frames for all chats. I am NOT making this up and am genuinely sorry :-(

Later

Tarik
  • Options
    David mentioned this issue once again, and I wonder whether you want me to gather more information re cost at my German dealership.

If yes, I will need to know whether all US-MLs have heated rear view mirrors and whether they are tinted or electrochromatic in any way.

Tarik
  • Options
    djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    1- Yes, I'm interested.
    2- On the 430, mirrors are heated and electrochromatic. I think this is an option on the 320's.
    David
  • Options
    1- If you can see the rust just from inspection, the service advisor should not have any problem ordering new ones for you. OTOH, if you don't see any rust, try telling him that this is a known problem with the ML's built in 98 and 99, and that you're concerned -- he should know how much rain you have there and what the effects of water is on rust-prone metals.
    I suppose your husband can unscrew some of nuts for complete inspection, but it's kind of heavy
    2- My actual mileage is 15K. Just changed oil the 3rd time.
    David
  • Options
    Tarik:
    I also may be interested. I have the heated ELC mirrors. I'm curious what the cost is.

David:
    Have you tried adjusting the mirrors according to what Curt Rich said? I have almost no blind spots on my sides...
  • Options
    Ken,
    I've tried that, but old habits die hard.
    BTW, do you have black or chrome wheel retainers?
    David
  • Options
    SIDNEY6 AND DT77
    The post was not at ML Forum its in C Class/clk and SLK, I just browsing the site and found out about it. Mr Vanos is out of town he went to Florida then Atlanta. According to him the time is sometimes in Feb. and the place is to be announce, someone mention about Palm spring its a good 1 to 1 1/2 hrs drive from San Diego it could be two HRS. I went last time and we went to Idly Wild somewhere west of San Bernandino Mountain. They were driving SLK,CLK and BMW and a Porsche, I was the only ML showed up. Oh boy, I can't keep up with them. So let us join them when the date and place confirm. If you want to check the picture last time they are posted at MBWORLD.ORG click the SOCAL FUN RUN Set 1 and Set 2.you will see my "BLACK OPAL TOY"
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to open the fuse box? Do I pull the 2 black plastic pieces up, down, forward or toward the cabin?
    Thanks.
    David
  • Options
    the rear view and driver's side mirro is auto-dimming. the passenger side is not auto-dimming.

dt77
  • Options
    dt77: I converted them with the ML55 Xenons from the dealer. The installation is as outlined in Robert's upgrade which can be found here http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

Real straight forward and only took 20-25 minutes.
  • Options
    zuludog, There are many different ways to get rid of water spots on glass. The one I use, which really works good, is to get some Bon-Ami powdered cleaner in the grocery store and wet the windows and sprinkle it on and rub it in. This is what I used when I detailed cars because it not only removes the water spots but it takes all the road film and oil off the glass making it look like new, except for any scratch that were already there.
  • Options
    kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Windex always works great for me. spread on your windshield and wait for about a minute before wiping off.
  • Options
    The most drastic measure is to use some form of acid to dissolve the calcium in the water spots. You can try first with warm hoursehold vinegar and escalate up to muriatic acid (from the swimming pool supply). Be extremely careful as the acid can damage the car paint.
    Good luck.
    David
  • Options
    I have the black wheel lug bolts.
  • Options
    David,
    You have to be firm and a little bit tough. to pull the two tab on the fuse box and it should be pull down toward the windshield washer tank/reservoir it depend where you at. if you are in front it should be towards you. that tabs are tough.
  • Options
    jmcdowelljmcdowell Member Posts: 13
    Well, I went to the dealer to get the all-weather floor mats with the dead pedal coverage-now a month later they claim there is no such animal. What is the Mercedes part number for these, folks and where did you get 'em?
    We have had a bunch of nasty wind and heavy snow in the moutains of New Mexico and I have to add to the acclaim for the ability of the ML to go in the snow. It almost feels like the car has claws-no slip, straight stops, normal acceleration and a feeling of full control-incredible! This is my 31st vehicle and I rate it as the best snow car I have ever driven.
    As for the heater problem......it seems that under 15 degrees C, that the engineers at Mercedes decided that it is best to override the temp control-putting out full heat until enough "soaks" into the interior to allow the system to cool down. I am trying to get a fix from the regional Mercedes Tech.-Still waiting.
    Thanks---Jeff
  • Options
    There is such an animal, albeit not in the part of your woods :-) I believe it is made in Canada, hence it is not easy (though not impossible) to get in the US. MB Canada only supplies these mats, so we don't even get the ones w/o the dead pedal cover. Here is the part number

Driver's side dead pedal cover
  • Options
    Don't worry about the chat. There's always next Friday :-)

WRT the mirrors, they are known as aspherical mirrors. We already have the convex right hand mirror (hence the "objects are closer than they appear" print on that mirror. Seems like all of the Euro vehicles have them but we don't (I know they're technically illegal for the driver's side in the US; blame it on the long outdated DOT regulations. Saab offers as standard equipment it for the passenger's side wing mirror on their 9-5).

Birger sent me pictures of his non-electro chromatic aspheric mirrors a while back. I'm sure you know what they are of course, but for everyone else, here they are. Note the dotted line dividing the aspheric section from the normal (flat) section of the mirror:

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    OK, Drew,

So what we're looking for is the price for the driver's side mirror insert, which has to be:

- aspherical
    - heated
    - monochromatic

correct?

I'm asking all that, because I am sure not all MLs in Germany come with heated and/or dimming mirrors. I will post the info as soon as available.

However, bad news is that even if we bought from over there, a sales tax refund has been made impossible. The newest law of the (German) governmental pick-pockets excludes spare parts for cars from tax refund when exported. Anything else has been spared, but not OEM parts for cars.

Still taking care of those blisters on my fingers from yesterday's chat...

Tarik
  • Options
    danielvordanielvor Member Posts: 1
    Hi

These mats are freely available at M-B dealers in VA, so you should not have any trouble getting them. Maybe try www.clairparts.com. The local dealer in Richmond had them on special recently when I bought some for the SLK. Got my ML ones the day after I bought the ML. Both times the mats were in stock. They are really great, and I am glad I got them. Makes me not worry getting in the car with snow & mud on my shoes...

I am interested in the heater problem (overheating initially). I noticed that after 5 or 10 minutes I have to adjust the temp down and then a little while later up again. Now I just open the sun roof briefly to let the warm air out, or redirect to the feet, then I'm generally ok. It it's a setting you can have programmed, I would be interested to know...