Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tlwwso, I too have a 2001 ML320 and the dealer told me not to come in until the computer says so. The computer did not tell me to come in until 13,000 miles. Keep in mind that MB covers all regular maintenance (4 year or 50k), declared by their CPU brain in your ML, not when you want to come in and change the oil. Some dealers may differ though, if your dealer is willing to flip the bill for the first 50K or 4 years with an oil change every 5K then go for it.

During the first 10K I questioned my dealer and MB often and both confirmed wait until the CPU says so. So I figure if I follow what they and the manual says they are on call if anything goes wrong, even after the warranty. Added, I went nearly 15K once on my 99 C Class Kompressor and am at 50K now with no engine issues. I do a lot of highway driving.

Hope this helps.
  • kevin90kevin90 Posts: 7
    Gardner7, Looking back in this ML discussion area you will find that the trip computer is an obvious problem with a lot of ML owners. Myself included. I have 4000 KM's on the vehicle and have tried re-setting the trip computer date at least 10 times over the last 2 months. Nothing works so I am taking it into the dealership. Other problems that need fixing so far are a malfunctioning driver window switch and poor FM radio reception. I am getting stereo ONLY when the vehicle comes to a stop at a light. As soon as the vehicle starts moving, the FM stereo reverts to an AM sounding system.
  • drivenowdrivenow Posts: 45
    Does anyone know if the "computer" will accept orders for Capri Blue? The 2002 ML Brochure says "delayed availability."
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    FYI:
    The trip computer was replaced on my '99 ml 320 by the dealer some time ago. it did not appear defective to me but he said during a visit for an oil change that MB had a service buletin on it.
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    The best price I have found for the M/B Premium 4 yrs./50K mile warranty is through Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA. Call 1-800-655-3535 and ask for Lisa Lehrbaum. She is very knowledgable as well as very helpful and pleasent. You can charge it over the phone and get mileage on you credit card as well. Courtesy Motors is an authorized MB dealer. I highly recommend them.
  • sshowitt, (Message #4468) how much did you pay for the extended warranty from where you purchased? Did they give discount? Please post details.
  • ron320ron320 Posts: 9
    I had the dealer install the NAV system in my 00 320. Is it possible to transfer the NAV to an 02 320?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    why doesn't edmunds have the info for 2002 yet? The dealer in town here has had 2002's for 2 weeeks now.....gonna test drive this weekend!
  • Finally got to take an 02 ML320 for the morning today. I took numerous pictures that I will post on the web later tonight after I get home.

Some opinions I have and as they were a few days ago when I posted a are:

1. New looks on the exterior to me are a vast improvement over the previous models looks. It is much more aggressive looking.

2. The a/c controls are very nice and cool looking. Cooling an ML is now easier for the rear passengers as well the front passengers. Some folks were concerned about the new knobs not being large enough to grab with gloves on but this is not the case. There is plenty to grab on to and turn the dial.

3. New speakers upfront do add a much better sound to the Bose system.

4. New black background on MCS screen seems easier to read and maybe a little more elegant looking?

5. Larger drink holder in the center console will definitely get used by us. I'm glad MB made this right.

6. First aid kit is now in the rear door compartment. When you open the door you can reach up and flip down the cover to see it.

I'll have the pictures up tonight with a link to them posted here for all to enjoy.

Jack

PS A few quirks I noticed is the fog lights do not come on if the main headlights are turned off and then back on. You have to push the button again to turn them on. Also, the recycle button on the new a/c controls resets after the ignition has been turned off. This is a feature I've noticed a lot of manufacturers doing lately. Here in the South where we use the recycle all the time its a little annoying to turn it on each time. But I can live with it.

The new ML is really great looking and I can't wait to get ours.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Looking forward to the pictures! Regarding the foglamps, they've always been like that. You have to turn the headlamps on and then press the switch. Personally, I think that the new projector-style headlamps are what make it look a lot more aggressive.

Be sure to link the pictures in the M-class owner's club photo gallery as well.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sduff1sduff1 Posts: 11
    Friday I picked up my Brilliant Silver ML500 Sport. She's the best! And I've had the 2000 ML320 and 2001 ML430. I love all the new stuff, especially the rear air. The 500 engine has all the pickup I think it needs. It doesn't seem to strain. However, I have 2 square tires to be replaced. It's so cool looking; I'd drive it w/4 square tires!! The new bumpers and fog lights really sport it up. The new a/c controls are great. I do miss the recirculation button; this one turns itself off after 20 or so minutes. I had 100watt headlights in my other ML. These new lights are brighter; I won't be needing to change them out. I will miss the rear thing to hang clothes on; they're gone. There are these odd holes now, probably for a dog divider. The armrest is nice with the small storage area over the larger one. I didn't get the voice command; that would have been interesting. Our friends have a S500 with that and theres certain
    "twangs" it just won't recognize. I didn't get the phone this time either. I might regret that later. I had it on the others; a very nice feature. Once you use the nav system a few times, it's pretty easy and although I can read a map, I really got used to having it. The rear back glasses now pop out. You used to have to buy the M7,rear seat, to get that option. Oh, no more of that baffeling noise when the sunroof is back!! The new side mirrors also seemed to eliminate some of the noise when the front windows are down too. You can also program the right mirror to move down when you put it in reverse. Takes some getting used to. Overall, it's the best SUV out there. A few years I gave up a Navigator for the new body Suburban. Then, only at my husbands constant nagging, I got the ML w/3rd seat. Of course, I had to have the "Stow-Away" box to go on the back when we travel but it's the best of both worlds. I did try the Land Cruiser; hated the floating effect. I'm hooked now, for sure!
  • This is actually off the dealers lot that I drove today.
    Hope you enjoy the pictures be sure to leave a message in the guest book.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1141116&a=13694094&f=0

sama from GA:

The hooks above each rear passenger door is for the divider that can also be attached in the rear. The rear windows are the ones on either side of the 3rd seat passengers. They are now power operated from the front cockpit controls. When I first read your post I thought you ment the rear hatch window...it does not open. Too bad.

I forgot to get some pictures of the new storage compartment in the center console but as was mentioned it is two level and useful. Although the quality of the tabs to pull it up and open seem to be a little low...they are just plastic and seem difficult to catch.

Here is a sneak peek

• kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    What model Conti tires are those?
  • kenyee..unfortunately I don't remember. It was starting to rain and I was trying to get as many photos as I could before the bottom fell out.

I also tried to get some photos of the black ML500 the dealer had also. But when I got back someone had taken it off the lot. I do know that that I think the 320 wheels are better looking than the 500 for some reason. The 320's have more design to the them. The 500's look similar but more plain. Although the ML500 wheels do keep the blue/silver MB logo in the center as before whereas as you can see the ML320 have the basic MB logo in the center.
  • the first 24 photos are from today. The others are from the web and are noted in the descriptions. I do not claim these; only the first 24.
  • fredtwdfredtwd Posts: 25
    I picked up my Desert Silver w/ Java leather ML320 today (M1, M2, M5, Heated Seats and Bose). So far so good.

I ordered the Navigation system with it. The dealer ordered the Navigation and received the 2001 model. After installing it, it turned out that the 2001 navigation does not work in the 2002 M-Class. The 2002 navigation is on back order, so I'll have to wait a couple of months for my navigation.

Has anyone received a 2002 ML320 with Navigation?

Thanks in advance.

Robert
  • the first 24 photos are from today. The others are from the web and are noted in the descriptions. I do not claim these; only the first 24.
  • varigvarig Posts: 99
    I know that this has probably been asked before and discussed into the ground, but I did not want to read through 4,000+ messages today. The listed gas mileage on a 2002 320 is 15 city, 19 hwy. Is this what most 320 drivers are averaging?
  • johnnnycjohnnnyc Posts: 166
    Mind if I asked you what you paid (with regards to invoice or MSRP)?

I'm starting my search this weekend, and wanted to see how dealers are treating the 2002 MY. Lousy economy would help a deal around invoice, but location (NYC) offsets any ability to deal. Most likely, it'll be time for a road trip.

Also - anyone know where I can find out more info on the MB Navigational system? I read here that a DVD-ROM based unit is in the works, but wonder if I order the ML320 for MY2002, if I can add DVD navigation when it's available.

Not that I should even care about the DVD navi - not like I'll need the entire US on one disc - how far can you drive in a day?
  • can any one tell how comfortable 3rd row seats are in ML320? Also if u have seen MDX then are they better than MDX. We are going to decide between MDX VS ML320 and 3rd seating is a factor in that...

Thanks a lot!!!!