Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Does anyone have instructions for removing the door panels? Thinking of upgrading the speakers.

Thanks!
    Dave L.
  • I'm planning on purchasing a 1998 ML320 w/ 57000 miles on it. The vehicle is in great shape inside and out. Has anyone come across any problems with a 1998? Are the miles to high?
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    Where did you get that little net? That's on the front passenger footwell, right? Looks pretty handy.
  • I have ordered a 2002 ML 500 with Capri Blue color. Is this the "purple-ish blue?" I think that the Orion Blue ($1,000 surcharge) is the purple-ish blue, but I'm not sure. Interior color is black (2 kids, doggie) - less carpet and seat soiling compared to the Tan interior. Will I regret these choices??
  • ccweemsccweems Posts: 33
    Not yet but the Frankfurt show did have a display by these folks. They make integral compressors for the 3.2 engine and have a dealer in the US. They have not done an ML yet.

http://www.kleemann.dk/go.htm

• thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    Hi Bob,

I don't recommend the 1998 model ML's. If you were not aware already the 1998 did not have many of the safety provisions that the 1999 and newer do. For example, ESP that helps keep the ML from loosing control with the use of a YAW sensor. In addition, the 1999 and newer have the BAS that activates the brakes in a panic situation much faster than your foot can do the job. There were also some frame rail modifications to enhance the passenger compartment front footwell . There were some other mods as well. Further, the 1998's were first generation and there were many issues to be ironed out...most third party extended warranties will not cover these...trim/seals...

The price of 1999 or newer should not be far off anyway...unless you are able to purchase the 1998 under $20K you should really consider a newer model.

If you are a good shopper you will be able to find a good deal on 1999 or newer...

Good luck : )
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    ccweems:
    Problem is that the ML320's tranny is not as beefy as the ML430 or ML55's. Not sure if it can handle the power of a supercharged engine...
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Drivenow, I think either blue is a nice color, I personally wouldn't choose a black interior because it just gets too hot. I think the Ash leather is available with either of the blue choices. Of course, I don't have kids so a light interior is not a problem for me. Just my .02.
  • itsuiitsui Posts: 15
    Does anyone know how to remove the tail light cover to change the bulbs? I did unscrew those plastic screws. But the plastic cover was very hard to pull it out (specially I'm afraid to break it). Please give me some advices. Thanks!
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    In response to people looking for after market tires in the 255/65/16 size for the ML320s. I have been looking for the same. Besides the OEM Tires there is a good off-road tire avalilable from Michelin. IT is called the XPC. I checked it out on www.tirerack.com. They have great reviews but price at about $130+ a tire. That is probably what I will get. I also know that Michelin makes a highway tire in the same size. I haven't looked at it.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Drew,

If you really want the All-Wheel Drive Mondeo in North America, you sure can get it at a $10,000 + premium. It is called the Jaguar X Type ;-). It shares the engine and powertrain with the Mondeo.

Pity the suckers who are willing to shell out $30,000 + to drive a ford with a Jaguar Badge. Correction, Pity the suckers who actually drive a Jaguar.
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    I have told a couple people that i will report in. I am deciding on a vehicle to replace my expedition. I took a 320 home over the weekend, and liked it, didnt love it. The seat is not very comfortable for me, and lacked alot of thigh support (seemed short) I also have decided that although it is plenty peppy from a stop, there is very little passing power, especially with four men and four bags of golf clubs. I would have to get the ML500 for the engine. As far as quality, i do think they have fixed alot of the bugs, but i don't think they are up to par with lexus yet. The first ML i looked at had the piece around where the driver seatbelt is attached falling off. The second one, the new 32oz cupholder was broken and would not flip out.

I will look at the 500 a little further, but am also considering the Lexus LX470, which is WAY more comfortable, but less power. I havent driven the LX yet, but it looks very nice.

One problem is they had the prettiest car i have ever seen, the new SC430 convertible sitting next to it.....talk about drooling, it was incredible, the leather looked about 1/4 in thick...

I think we will probably end up with the ML cause it is roughly 20K less than the LX, but have to see who is dealing what, i have read that the LX's can be had for around 55 or so....at least the 2001s

Have to keep lookin....
  • I drive the Lexus RX300. My only complaint with it is the seats are uncomfortable (it's boring too). I'm wondering if the LX has different seats. I drove the Toyota Sequoia and found the seats to be about the same as the RX seats, lacking thigh support, too shallow and just as uncomfortable. If you are looking for great comfort the BMW X5 can't be beat, however the X5 seems to have quite a few issues/problems at this time.
    For passing with authority, try using the Touchshift to downshift before you initiate the passing. For that much extra weight, you might have to drop into 3rd.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• khoonkhoon Posts: 84
    Thanks for getting back - I don't go off-roading. city/hwy driving only.

Anyone hear anything about the Michelin X Terrian tire?
  • ml320ml320 Posts: 22
    Ken, here's a better pic of those wheels you wondered about. Don't know yet who makes them..

Wolfgang
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    I drove the X5, i wasn't impressed. It was pricey, and just seemd too small. One of the biggest things that bothered me was the lack of shoulder room. When i sat in the passenger seat, the B-pillar was about crushing me. Why can't they make things things big enough? The RX was in contention, but i hit the roof, not enough headroom, and wife wants a third row seat so we are down to the LX and the ML. I still have not found out how much they are willing to deal on an '02 ML500, am waiting on pricing on the 01 LX470, but I really want the nav.....I like the ML alot, i am just making sure it is really what i want, not to buy it just cause it's less money then the LX.

Also, i usually lease. There may be some incentives coming out if this economy does stall a little. I am in good shape cause my expedition isnt up until Jan 25th....so i am not in big hurry, and an educated buyer. Probably everything saleman hates....oh well

thanks for the posts, i find alot of info here, keep the threads going all!!!
  • The best deal I have heard on the new 2002 ML 500 is $600 over invoice.

Cheers
    khoon:
    City/hwy only, it's a no brainer. Get the Michelin Cross Terrain. They're decent in snow as well. A few folks on this forum have switched to them w/ positive results.
    The MY2002 Dunlop's are not available yet; otherwise, they'd be a good choice as well.

wolfgang:
    Thanks. Interesting looking. They look more solid than our wheels (more "spokes").