Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    I got a nick on my door too. That's what happens when I park in the parking structures are school. They don't have very big spaces. The nick i have barely covers 1.5 mm by 1.5 mm or about 1/8" by 1/8". tiny, but I saw it and a 'white stuff' is exposed. It actually looks like a tiny white spec on the door and I also have it on the doors side guard.

dt77
    I reported on here before that I noticed some clicking noise from the dash area and it seems some have reported the same thing and some have even fixed it. I will inspect and look into it when I get back to LA.

When I was with my ML in LA, I had also isloated 'squeaking' which came from the driver's side rubber door seal with the door opening seals. Confirmed by sticking my finger in the gap with door closed and the noise it made was clearly replicated. Some of you may have heard noises you hate and maybe you can look there =)

I miss my ML. =)
    dt77
    Yup, as far as I know now, only waag makes the rear door guard for the ML. I almost got it a while ago, but decided to hold off. Also took a small poll on the old edmunds and majority favored not getting it. I think it still looks cool, and it definately protects the bumper. I've seen pics on the web with it on a silver ML too. But the guy acutally painted it to match his silver ML. I've also seen a black one with the rear guard.

THe only thing I have about it is I wish it were more 'muscular' like the Manik A bar I have (it's pretty thick).

The waag rear guard attaches with bolts - contrary to what I thought before : rear hitch attachment.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
    "only waag makes the rear door guard for the ML..."

sorry, i must be smokin crack. I meant rear bumper guard.

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    I hope I responded back to all who e-mailed me with information on discounted MB extended warranties. $1575.00 is a can't lose price for the premium M/B 4 yr. 50K mile warranty. It is transferrable and can be pro-rated for a refund of the unused portion. I put it on A/E and got mileage besides. BTW, a very good M-Class e-mail List Serve:
    owner-m-class@moab.off-road.com
    E-mail them at that address to subscibe.
  • howvoodhowvood Posts: 19
    I'd like to know where you purchased the extended warranty for $1575. I've been quoted around $2500. Anyone can e-mail me at howvood@hotmail.com
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    for those folks who are trying to get it at that price, don't mention where you got it from. Someone told their dealer once last year, then that dealer complained to MB who then came down on the dealer that's selling it for that price. Just mention that you can get it elsewhere at that price :-)
  • I live 70 miles from the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealer. Need a safe SUV that can tow 5000#. Reliability of MB ML 320 has been poor. What is the latest on reliability?
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    tomnorris: Most of the poor ratings were based on early production (98/99) vehicles. There have been many improvements in the 2000/2001 MY vehicles and nothing major that I'm aware of.

I have a MY00 ML320 with 7,000 miles and the only problem I experienced was a door actuator that didn't like the extreme cold temperatures (below 10 degrees (f)), but that was fixed and I'm trouble free again. I also tow a small boat and utility trailer with no problem. I had far more problems with my domestic cars then I experienced with my 'first' MB vehicle and I'm sold on their quality.

If you need a safe SUV look no further, the ML is rated number 1 in safety for SUV's As I've said before, I normally buy a vehicle and start looking for something new in 6 months, as I get bored with them easily, not so with this vehicle. I see me keeping this one 4-5 years before swaping (my wife said she wants to see that before she believes it), I love this vehicle more each time I drive it.

What ever your decision enjoy!!!
  • rover96rover96 Posts: 33
    Thor3

Thanks for your time & the detail info. I set up an appointment with the dealer this coming Monday to go through all the minor stuff.

Everything is minor except the rear end vibration when I do a sharp left or right turn from stop. I mention it to the dealer early on & he said is normal. I do not agree with him since I had a jeep & a land rover b4 and they didn't have this problem. But the dealer agree to check it out. My question is, is this a recall on this known problem or how can I force the dealer to fix the vibration problem?

As of the extended warranty, I purchased the 5 yrs & up to 100k miles warranty form National Auto Care (I hope it's good) for $1500, Zero deductible. I hope it helps in the furture. Any one heard of the National Auto Care Company? Any good? Once again happy new year every 1. Thanks again Thor3
    Boy has the forum slowed down. Must be everyone is still tired from the holidays/vacation. It's gone from if you missed a day it takes two to get caught up, to you can miss two days and read it on one screen.

Guess that's also good news and means we all are having few, if any, problems with our ML's
  • The power skyview top was the reason of purchasing the Ml 320 2000 last year ( My former car was a CLK 200 convertible, a good car but no room for a Newfound land Dog, so I'm used to a little bit more wind noise) No problems with the top after 30.000 km. We drive with open top almost every day during summer time (except for the German autobahn). In my opinion it's worth the extra money.

Andrew de Jong, The Netherlands, Europe
  • I have a 2000 ML-430 and would really appreciate extended warranty discount information. I am discrete! My e-mail is jackh49@aol.com.

Thanks.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    "I was telling you about the next generation of engines for amg cars. The new engines will be supercharged in the amg versions. All
    the current cars have the 5.5L V8 normally aspirated. They retain the 3v per
    cylinder. I got to ride in an ml55 before I came back here and it was pretty
    quick for such a heavy car."

Robert
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    Hello - Glad to hear that your bringing in your 1998 ML320 to establish a new owner maintenance/service record.

To answer your question (is there a recall for the rear end lockup/gowning noise...) No there is no recall but it is a warranty item. Many dealers have replaced the differential with the newer version gear ratio that resolves said (NORMAL - NOT!!) binding. If your dealer is ignorant of this make him/her aware that you have been informed by other owners of same vehicle and that there was a fix which required the new gearing in the replacement units.

As I said earlier - you need to make sure each and every complaint is documented - if they don't fix it or put "no problem found" you at least have it in writing for when it becomes an issue in the future.

The rear end vibration/binding may be felt thru the steering wheel as well so you may want to add to your complaint that you feel the front binding as well... tell them it is hard to tell but it acts like a 4 wheel drive that has its hubs locked on dry pavement when turning sharply.

You need to see the past warranty history so you know what has been done already. As I said earlier you need to know the problem areas that have been improved with new components... even if your vehicle is not demonstrating/experiencing a problem now but Mercedes has made newer components you need to complain to get new components... Just as I stated that the door latches have been upgraded a couple of times - even if your doors shut OK you may want the newer latches that have the "latest engineering." Same goes for fuel pump, fuel sender, suspension bushings, steering pump....

Bottom line you need a dealer and a technician that wants to "look" for all of these mentioned changes and do the replacements. I've found two such dealers EuroMotorCars in Bethesda MD and AutoHaus MB in Pompano Beach FL... both have great Techs that will comb the ML over for such mods. It helps if you make the general comments on the repair order - such as - hear a high pitched whine on occasions from rear of vehicle... sounds like fuel pump... gas gauge reads inaccurate at times... may not read full when full or is inaccurate...

There are many ways to make complaints to get MB Techs to look at and repair items because they already know MB has new parts for many of the mentioned items. Many times, the Techs will look at the complaints on the Repair Order and will immediately order the newest renditions. They will install them without documenting the actual complaint because they already know these are well documented ML problems and don't want to waist time trying to duplicate them. As long as MB has a newer part # that supersedes the one being replaced on your 1998 (pretty good chance of this) it will be no issue...

This is why it is very important to read as many old posts on this and any other ML forum and write down the problems that you see reoccuring and then have the device Facility write these items down on the repair order. I guaranty that you will see new components placed on the vehicle. If not find another dealer or share with us where you are located and I'm sure someone will recommend the best dealer in your area.

I have soo much more to say but can't keep typing but I hope you get my drift - MB owes it to you while under warranty to bring you vehicle up to the latest spec for each specific issue... you need to get this done prior to warranty expiration. The good news is if the dealer replaces something... such as door lock actuators and they fail again after warranty you may get Factory warranty coverage anyway due to a parts warranty within a specified period of time... so you have nothing to loose.... but get the old history so you know what has been done already - or at least was done once...serveral items have had several new fixes... just because a repair was done once does not mean you have the latest new parts. For example there have been at least 4 fuel level senders over the past 1.5 years....

Good luck - Frank
    Hi - are you saying that the AMG ML55 may have a Supercharger for Model Year 2002...did you get a test drive in such or just a base ML55 as in current production..?

Thanks - Frank

This would sure be exciting if so.....
    Major droolage....any HP/Torque numbers? :-)
    It makes sense...look at the C32. Nice Lysholm supercharger...
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    This is how it was explained to me:

MB has higher torque/less HP than say a BMW because of the longer stroke and the 3 valves per cylinder. This was done (one of the reasons) to achieve ULEV emmissions status. MB is adding the supercharger to make up for the lost power.

So what is going to result is more horsepower AND ULEV status. He said AMG accross the line will get the supercharger, so I am assuming the ML55 too. He said the NEXT version of the AMG engine. He did not say when this new engine would appear, 2002...03...04.
    Result: Environmentally friendly rockets.

I didnt get to ride in the car nor did he, as it is not out yet. He did however drive the PT Turbo, which was quite nice.

Robert
  • ji1ji1 Posts: 2
    Have a 18 month old 99 ML320 which has had repeated issues with the fuel sender and gas gauge. After three replacements and two actual fuel line ruptures my patience is gone. Any wisdom on how to resolve? Terrific vehicle otherwise, but eight service visits in four months is getting a little out of control.

Thanks for your help.
    Make sure you have the latest (part#168-470-11-94). That's the one that should not need replacement...
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    I apologize if this topic has been covered already, if so, please direct me.

I'm in the market for a luxury SUV, have looked at the Lexus RX300. I know I can get it for around $36k (AWD, Premium Plus package). Folks around Town Hall said I should also consider the MB.

I guess my question is, can one get an MB similary equipped for about the same money? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree...

All insights appreciated,
    TC
  • ometofuometofu Posts: 53
    John/Kenyee/Anyone, what are some of the symptoms before the fuel pump died? I heard many of you had the unit replaced because it fails ... I too have a 99ML (beside, the windshield fluid container cracked on me) I'm virtually free of any problems with it. Since my Schedule B is coming up in 2 months.. if the fuel pump is unpredictable or without any symptoms before it fails, Can I just ask the service department to replace it anyway?
    Was browsing ebay and saw a spare CLK-GTR for sale... check it out=>

Wonder what it will sell for or if it will sell. There are only a few more hours before aution ends! No bids yet!!!

Frank

Cut and paste:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=532218234&r=0&t=0
  • gncgnc Posts: 27
    I am interested in receiving more information regarding the discounted extended warranty that several people have mentioned. Thanks!
    tonychrys: Tony, Before I bought my ML320 I was on the wait list for a RX300 myself. Thank god I listened to others and did more shopping. I didn't consider the ML at first because of the bad CR reviews it had gotten. After reading this forum and discussing with several of the folks I found out that most of the problems were in the 98/99 MY vehicles and many improvements were made in the 2000 MY. I also did a compare on one of the inter net car places (Carorder.com I think) and compared the two vehicles. For 2000 the ML had Traction control, anti skid control, low range transfer case and a number of other standard features that were not even available on the RX for any price. Wanting a safe vehicle I next went to the Gov't and independent sites that do crash test, the ML Mercedes was/is rated number 1.

After taking all this into consideration and knowing the Lexus dealer wanted to add $1,500 to the MSRP., because of tight supply, I opted to deal for a ML and it ended up almost the same price (+1-2K). Not sure if you drove both yet but I felt the RX was a little unstable at highway speeds when you did a quick lane change and in cross winds, the ML felt a lot more stable, even my wife could feel the difference.

Now what you can deal for in your area may differ, but take the price quotes in from the on-line dealers and that is usually a good starting point.

I now have 7K miles on my 2000 ML320 and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Bottom line, it's your dollors and choice. Lexus has made some changes to the 2001 RX, but it's traction control still will not compare to the ML and if your tow anything the ML has body on frame construction and will tow 5,000 lbs Vs only 3,000 lbs for the RX, which is unibody construction. It's more of a passenger car construction then the ML is.

Whatever you decide enjoy.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Really appreciate the input, thanks.

Just to answer a few points, towing is not important for us, so the capacity of most SUVs will suffice. Since you bought, the tables have turn and now it's the Lexus dealers having to knock $$$ of MSRP because of the MDX onslaught. Couple that with the Highlander coming out in a couple of weeks (what the hell was Toyota thinking? Talk about butchering your own market).

So really my big question is whether I can get an ML320 in the $36k range? I'm trying to do as much homework on my own, just wanted to hear some real world experiences.

We haven't drove an ML320 yet, but I don't want to waste the dealer's time if it's not in our price range we're looking for.

Thanks again for the input!

TC
    It all depends on the local dealers and if you are willing to do some internet shopping to find dealers who will deal. There is always a better time to buy and unfortunately this is not it at the very moment. The 2000 models just had some major discounts to clear them out... getting a fully equipped ML320 was very doable in the $36K range. Now that the stock of 2000 has been depleted it is now the 2001's the dealers are selling. MB offers no incentives at this time to clear out the 2001's because they are in the early sales year. If you can wait until July/August you would be able to pick up a much better value... End of years production and there will be some changes to the ML in 2002 that will also make sweet deals possible at the end of the year.

Anyway, the real way to answer your question is to configure the ML320 using the MBUSA build your own Mercedes feature and see what the retail price is. If you add all the available features to an ML320 the dealers cost (invoice) will be over $36K - somewhere between $38-$40K depending on if you get Skyview roof and all the option packages (less the Sport package that would certainly bring Invoice into the $40K's. So, if this is invoice you will have to pay more so dealer can make some profit. However, if you choose a base ML (once again, configure it yourself and determine what you can live with/out) you could get close to your target.

Try to give the dealer $1000 profit (over invoice) and see where it brings you... you need to be a good dealer yourself or shop the internet to see if dealers will compete for your business and lower their profit. If you find yourself way over.. meaning you could not live with a base ML320 then your out of luck for the moment and won't get the vehicle for $36Kish. If you wait for the end of year you will be able to buy at invoice or even below depending on MB end or year dealer insentive...MB has given $2-3K back to dealers at the end of year to clear for the new models in the past. So you might even get an ML UNDER invoice if you can wait and take the chance...

Good Luck!
  • drmhfdrmhf Posts: 29
    If anyone could tell me what they paid for a new ML320 it would be appreciated. Thanks
    I should have mentioned the Edmunds' price/option configuration page:

http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2001/mercedesbenz/mclass/ml320.html

Start here and check the appropriate options you must have then click the configure button... this will take you to a work sheet for the ML and you can print this out...

If you could spend closer to $38K you could find a good deal on a nicely appointed ML...

Share with us what region you live in and we'll try to help guide you to a dealer who "deals."

Hopefully others who have recently purchased will share their pricing... but remember each deal is different and if you know how to deal and can take the shopping effort you will be rewarded... some people can do this others can't or won't... think you would be very happy with the ML so it is worth a try IMHO...

Take care - Frank

In addition to trying and help you guys I'm also trying to keep the ML forum in the "Top 10".... we are really slipping this week down to 10..almost fell off... where are you ALIGN (Drew!!) This is no time for VACATION!! GET TO WORK : )