Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    reported to dealer and he said it's a common problem and there is a fix for it. replacing fuel filter. he was vague about it, but something to do with pressure build up. replaced under warranty. I think a week or two later, something happened which made me believe that while they were fixing this whine, something was not attached correctly. something to do with fuel line cub one day ML couldn't start and fuel spilled from tank area. senior etch at my dealer confirmed if it' attached correctly, it would NOT come loose.

When I return to LA, I will get a print out of all work done on my ml, do a little investigating and maybe ill bring the issue up to the proper people. I believe the technicians were negligent.

dt77
    http://fullspeed.to/ml
    i'm looking into installing this ... comments ?
    http://www.xenonhid.com

what i don't like about is the fact that there is no autoleveling, and i would retain the original headlamp assembly (patterned). They claim to be beam corrected and for more than half the price of the FULL retrofit, I might just do it. Rob, how much again ? like $1300 ? hey, i'm just a student that would have to pay for this outta his own pocket money so =)

distributor for this philips made HID is in LA so, i might check it out...

dt77
    00 ml430
    some people of compared the whine to fingernail stratching chalkboard ? um, mine wasn't that bad ... =)
    i dunno, haven't closely looked at my neighbor's, but how does the trunk open? it looks like it's attached to the bottom of the ML's frame and comes around the bumper and upwards towards the rear windshield.

doesn't look like the trunk is easly opened ...?

dt77
  • ometofuometofu Posts: 53
    www.xenonhid.com

I don't seem to able to pass the FAQ and info page. The web page is wacked??!! How much do they want it for? The whole conversion kit doesn't seem to be able house entirely inside my ML headlamp assembly... if you have ever change a bulb, you realized that there is no much room to for any other things especially if you want to put the "cover" back....
    done a bit searching... they're selling these kit everywhere... and everyone is copying everyone's else claims, chart, FAQ and even the converted 430ML pics

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/start.htm

http://www.jbcsafety.com/HID/hid.html

http://www.xenonshop.com

Does anyone of you know do any of these vendors has a specific kit for ML, one that would allow u to put back the "back cover" for the headlight assembly?
    btw, who makes the HID xenon 'bulb' for the MB cars ? the xenon headlamp assembly is made by HELLA ya ?

dt77
    ya, i also saw xenonshop.com selling them too. so far, jbc has the cheapest and they are beam corrected. if i'm not wrong, xenonshop charges more to have it 'corrected' -- watever that means ~! I'll definately hold off and see how the installation goes and stuff, emailed with a guy from jbc and he said he's 'done' more that like 30 conversions ..something like that and even offered to let me check out HIS ML which has it ... might take him up on the offer since he's in LA too ...

from the looks of the pics @ xenonshop.com, it looks like putting the cover back may be a problem ...

jbc lists $599 and xenonshop lists $590.

dt77
    dt77
    sorry, xenonshop sells them for like $620.
    SPP sells them for 590.

dt77
  • I don't think they have the leveling motor in them
    and they don't appear to have the built in fog lamp toward the inner canthus. Does anyone know if
    they do have these components ?
  • fred132fred132 Posts: 22
    I did a 3 car deal with Carriage House (down by the airport). It worked out OK. My overall impression is they are a little more willing to negotiate than the other 2 major dealers in town.
    All other things being equal, you should have more negotiating leverage acquiring 2 cars than 1. Throwing in the lease is going to make it a bit complex, though. With a trade and a lease there are a lot of hidden ways they can make money from you. You should get a competitive bid on the lease from a financial institution.
    If it were me, I would simplify things by selling the ML myself, price it as a win-win situation to move it fast. Not everyone is comfortable doing this, though.
    At a minimum, make the 3 car deal a competitive situation between a couple of dealers.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    How does the tailgate open? Simple...just like normal, but with a couple of added steps. BTW, this is a Canadian ML430.

Notice that the spare tire is a lot higher than the rear bumper. This helps to prevent the spare tire from pushing into the tailgate (breaking the glass) and causing significant damage - as with most other SUVs with rear mounted spare tires - in a rear-end collision with a car. Of course, the ML's car height/compatible bumper helps too. This higher up position helps to keep the glare down from other light truck headlamps behind. The disadvantage, of course, is the significant reduction in rearward visibility. A car behind you (especially those slammed Civics ) can literally get lost behind it. I suppose a reverse warning system (the Bosch Parkpilot won't fit though) plus a Fresnel lens would help with parking. The ultimate would be a rear mounted camera, similar to what many Japanese ML owners have.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Yes, it has the auto leveling, but not the integrated foglamps (hence the foglamps in the front bumper).
  • swimmomswimmom Posts: 23
    Thanks Fred for the info. I was planning to swing this deal by all three dealers and see who came up best. I like the idea of trying to sell the car myself initially. An add in the paper doesn't cost much. Was there a particular sales person at Carriage House you delt with who was helpful? I have small children and would like to do a fair amount of this by phone and a contact name would help. Do you service your cars at Carriage House? We live in town and none of the dealers are particularly convenient. Thanks much for the info
    Anywhere in Northern Hemisphere sells them for ML?
    drew, yeah, saw some pics very nice.

dt77
  • Citykidd,

We never noticed one drop of water inside the
    cabin after rain or snow or cleaning ( and I use
    a lot of water !! ). The wind noise is a little bit
    louder then inside an other ML without the option. Most of the wind noise comes from the
    huge wind deflector. At high speeds you will
    notice more noise from the doors then from the
    roof. When we drive trough Germany to the Swiss Alps we often drive at full speed.
    Conversation is no problem even at this speed
    (+/- 190 KM/H). No rattles, no annoying noises.
    You can open the top earlier then the top of a
    convertible ( my former car was a CLK 200
    convertible). The wind deflector gives the ML a
    higher "look". A ML 55AMG chrome grill with the
    horizontal stripes can "compensate" the look.

In Europe taller 17" rims (same 5- spoke design as the standard 16" rims) with 275/55 tires are
    available as an option. Is it possible to order
    this option in the USA ? We have never seen
    this option when we visited the USA 2 years ago
    (and Canada last year).

Andrew De Jong, The Netherlands, Europe
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    A poster's email...

"Just a FYI and maybe update to your page I got my HID's from Hoehn MB in California at $600 each.
    The price you have from Clair is still correct ($637.50)."

DT
    I personally would not use the cheaper HID upgrade for several reasons.
    1. they can only correct so much with out changing the front light assebly which is "tuned for halogens and the despersion of the halogens
    This is nearly impossible without major reconstructive surgery. They could bend the metal, change the reflector, but it still wouldnt perform nor be as effective as the stock units
    While you may not get pulled over it will be glaring to the oncoming traffic and hazardous because much of the light is being directed wherre you dont need it (up in the air for example), thus decreasing bang for buck and effectiveness of the setup.

I have heard of people putting the aftermarket HIDs in their High beam compartment, but the problem is the flicker factor.

2. Definatly not warrantied.
    3. Definatly not Legal
    4. I believe that you would have to send your capsules in to them.
    5. The aftermarket HIds use Philips and are much bluer than the stock OEM. AFAIK, this can be seen in the former S-Class. Since the evolution of the HIDs mmost manufacturers are not as blue anymore.

My HIDs are Hella

Personally I advise against these units. because of the safety factor also you would have to ahve a huge hole in the back of your capsule and if you want ot sell the ML.....

I would spend the money on other things maybe a V1 or a Parkpilot. While I did consider it for a while installing the HIDs on my HID unit 'High Beams' I have come to the conclusion that it is useless. If you want more light on the road get Xenon Driving lamps.

Mark,
    have a look at the motor and a close up of the corners of the units on my page:
    http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

Robert
  • bon2000bon2000 Posts: 26
    I am assuming that the M4 accessory package you are talking about is the Sports package that can be added onto our ML's. I will go get my catalog and then maybe I won't sound so stupid all the time when I write you "smart @@@" guys" bon
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    bon2000:
    Nope. It's not the "sport pkg". The "sport pkg" looks like an ML55 except for the hood.
    The M4 pkg is the "off-road look pkg" that was offered in MY2000 and MY1999. It consists of a stainless steel (trapezoidal shape) brush guard, stainless steel side runners (no steps), and mud flaps. MSRP was $1395 and you had to order it from the factory because most places did not stock it.
  • chicachica Posts: 13
    I normally just lurk on here because I hadn't really decided when or even if I was interested in buying an M-Class.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend out of town who offered the use of their ML320 '00 for my drive from AL to KY over the holidays. I think I may have fallen in love. What beautiful control and command of the road! I think the giddy-up is fine and don't want to lose any more mpg by getting a 430. My job search may lead me north soon & I may really want to go the SUV route.

I guess I will officially consider myself on the market. What I would like to hear is more feedback from '01 owners. I realize the model year changes weren't that significant but would really like to hear from current '01 owners and their take on the vehicle...likes, dislikes, quirks etc.

Thanks!
    chica:
    The steering change is significant for me. They added variable power assist (i.e., more assist at lower speeds). This makes parallel parking lots easier. The 2001 also has some autocentering so it feels more like other automobiles.
    If you can, I'd suggest waiting for 2002. Curtain bags should be std equipment. If you don't value that, there should be another fire sale at the end of the 2001 model year so you can get the 2001 at close to invoice. Inventories are building up because of the tanking stock market.
    Kenyee,

Thanks. I'm looking at your "What is New for 2001 MY" that was posted on the other discussion forum & I don't see a steering change. I had printed this out months ago though (I told you I was a lurker!) Am I missing something?

Do you own a 2001? I haven't seen that many posts from '01 owners in general.

I thought the turning radius was good on the 320, seeing out the back was a bit difficult. I didn't remove the 2nd row head rests.
    It's not on the official list. It was on Curt Rich's list or someone posted it in the mailing list. It's definitely there though. The steering system from the ML55 was put in all 2001 models.

Yes, I have a 2001 ML320 (built in Sept, but delivered in Nov because they held all 2001s). Jason (atomic80) has a 2001 ML55. Gary Sellani on the M-Class mailing list has a 2001 ML430. There are also a few folks on the list who have 2001 270CDIs.
  • rameshramesh Posts: 6
    Hi folks,

Does anyone have this problem?
    The dealer had one of the techs test drive with me and reproduced the problem, but they don't have a way to fix it. The problem goes away when I close and open the mirror, they have asked me to use it as a way to fix it!

I don't agree with the workaround.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if so, how did the dealer fix it?

Thanks.

..Ramesh
  • fred132fred132 Posts: 22
    None of the dealers is particularly convenient for me, either. I haven't been in for service yet, but I will probably try the dealer near Roswell (the name escapes me). -- we'll see how it works out. Hopefully they will want my business and will try to build a customer relationship.
    My wife has always preferred to have service done at Classic Cars in Decatur, but I think this is because of habit more than anything else. I recently went through her service invoice history, and some of things they talked her into paying for made me a bit suspicious.
    I understand that Carriage House has a neat option for those who travel - you can drop your car off for service, they will take you to the airport and then pick you up. Haven't tried this myself, though.
    The guy I dealt with at Carriage House was Craig Whitley. We bought our previous MBs from individuals, so this was my first experience buying from a MB dealer. Given that I don't have a lot of experience, I thought he was OK to deal with. BTW, I did most of it over the phone.
    Good luck! Always be prepared to walk if the deal is not what you think is attainable.
    If I get an ML, I won't likely wait for the 2002. Although the changes look interesting, I'm sure the expense will be as well. I really liked the '00 I drove and would anticipate the same satisfaction with the '01.

Handling in snow & rain was very comfortable, I was very impressed. Love the rain sensor on the back windshield.

What do you all think about the Navigation system? I didn't have the CDs to check it out. ;(

Thanks for the input Ken.
  • dagilldagill Posts: 13
    Had quite a bit of snow over the New Year and had a great time on the 320. Took Drews and Kenyees suggestion and found a nice big ball park close to Valley Forge Pa and took it for a spin. Had own a c280 and a Lexus but the ride with the ESP etc was awesome, ended up spending 90 minutes rocking and rolling instead of the 20 minutes intended. Had a bad accident when the c280 skidded 2 years and thought I should get use to the handling of the ML. Tried to avoid braking, instead kept foot on accelerator and let ESP etc used its brawn. It was splendid. The ML did hesitate before accelerating when the blinking ESP came on. Only major headache I have in the ML is the wind noise and rattle somewhere near glove box. Built July 2000, bought Oct, has 3500mls.
    Happy Happy
    Hope you guys/gals had a wonderful New Year.
    Dagill
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    chica,

The pricing is not likely to go up much if any with all the competition in the market place it is getting harder and harder to clear inventory. Just a short while ago the ML had a significant waiting list - Now you can get one perhaps the same day or dealer can locate and trade with another local dealer. Of course, you can custom order any ML configuration and wait a few months to get it but this is not nearly as common any more.

There will be many more SUV/SAV models to contend with in 2002 - the VW, Porsche, Audi,Acura, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Infiniti.... the list goes on... pricing is going to get more competitive!!

Waiting is the thing and if you need it now then now is the time to buy...

Good Luck!
    thanx for your input.
    I'm leaning towards not doing it.
    since there's uncertainty as to how long i'll keep the ML and as to whether i'll remain in the US, i'll prob either just stick to my Hella Optiluxes (which i like quite a bit =) or just go all out and retrofit with the one you got. how much are they going for now ? and sorry if i'm asking this again, is auto-leveling a pain in the a55 to do ? sensors and all ?

dt77