Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• I'm dealing with MB of the Triad (NC) and the salesperson told me he'd sell any ML320 at invoice + 500.00. Is there some type of promotion going on? To my knowledge, there's 279.00 "paper wrk" charge.....Which I will negotiate....Any help would be appreciated!
  • Jon90Jon90 Posts: 33
    Sorry for the late reply, just got back from Bourbon Street and still hungover.

My deal was effortless. The dealer is located around Wash DC and it is worth a little drive/train to go pick it up if you are anywhere near. I tool the train up and had a wonderful drive back. It was even in the middle of a horrible snow storm, saw at least 40 cars upside down or stranded, the ML never wavered....I went all through the Shenendoah Mountains on the way home in the storm....what fun!

Anyhow, the dealer quoted that right off the bat, I kept waiting for the "hook", but one never came. I will definitely check in with them on my next one (they have four mfg's). When i went to pick it up, I happened to run into someone else i told this dealer about. He had driven down from Jersey and ordered one on the spot after he got a similar deal (he got straight invoice).

Post your email if you want the dealer name/salesperson

Good luck
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Post your email if you want the dealer name/salesperson.

I don't think it's a good idea for people to be posting their email addresses on the boards. An alternative would be for you to expose your email address in your profile. Anyone interested in contacting you could then look it up by clicking your name on your post and contact you without having to make their own address public.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • a guy who writes for the Detroit News might have a bit of a bias toward American iron? Do you think a real pro-Euro writer would advance his/her career in Detroit? My wife has an '02 ML & hasn't had any problems at all. I also have an '02 Caddy DHS and likewise have had no problems with it. Cost-wise, they were almost identical. I think the ultimate difference will be resale value.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I read the article and I agree with most of it, I own a 430ML and had a few issues, nothing serious but irritating on the other hand the ML is such a well engineered vehicle and purpouse built it translates into a quality of ride and handling that is hard to ignore.

Rigth now I have a GM truck also and is nothing to write home about, it does not have that precise steering of the Mercedes (amongst many other things), one does not become aware of it until one drives the ML, now I dont want to drive the truck for long distance travel, is not as pleasurable, the wandering steer is annoying.

To say that Detroit still has the upper hand in value has to be taken with a grain of salt, their top SUV's cost more or the same, neither the cheaps ones nor the more expensive one have the same degree of sophistication of the ML and they are not trouble free either.

And lets not forget that Detroit has the upper hand in dishing out pure junk in the past, for the past 35 years I bought my share of it, my ML may have a rattle here and there, but that is a far cry from engines going out as soon as 70K or transmissions going at 45K with some serious repairs in between and a total lack of handling etiquette.

I will not dispute that the Alabama plant has some quality problems, to me is labor related including the subs, I have heard of some flaws from ML owners that borders on third world labor quality.

In a nutshell is like this, an ML owner will concede that the vehicles has issues but is such a pleasure to drive that if they got rid of some of this issues it would be a top vehicle.
  • I thor-o-ly agree with Thor.
    Had my share of arbitrations with GM and hidden warranties, scores of recalls on Chrysler products and switched to all foreign made and never looked back.
    Have enjoyed Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Subaru and MB. Dealer support in ALL cases far exceeded my the terrible support on 3 Cadilacs from GM.

Going on my 4th year with a '99 ML320 and sure it has had its annoyances but the dealer has always come through.

In fact recently several items were replaced without my intervention by the dealer so that I would not be liable after the warranty expires in
    late August. They were all typical items found on this chat site to be problematic over the years and all were items that do not alter my most favorable impression of the ML. It remains a finely engineered vehicle with some bad OEM parts hung on it in Alabama.
    You don't throw the baby out with the bath water or some such cliche.

That recent visit to the dealer under warranty found the rear shocks, fuel pump and lines, window switches, oil pan sensor, 9qts. of Mobil 1,
    rear seat removed, adjusted and replaced all without a peep out of me or a dollar.

Try that with your Escalade under a GM bumper to bumper warranty where it seems only the bumpers are covered!

Again, Thor is on point; the ML remains a finely engineered suv with a great engine and drive train
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Not denying that MB has some problems, but here are some good news for the future.
    The article also corroborates what everybody is saying, that quality is sliping, new cars do not rank that well but old Mercedes, those in the age of 6 to 11 years old rank a lot better.

http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=37342&dm=yes

• sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    Jon 90, please go to my profile and e-mail me the dealer thanks Steven
  • Hey RockPaul,

That sounds like a very proactive dealer! Taking care of those nagging details. I don't suppose this dealer is located in So Cal? I definetly can use a dealership that stands by the customer and doesn't simply turn their head with "no problem found" or writing stuff off as "that's normal".
  • cavman2xcavman2x Posts: 26
    I have ten days to make a decision on an extended warranty for my 01 ML320. I have received the info from my dealer about the different options available. My question is, can the cost of this extended warranty be negotiated? I noticed at the top of the pricing column it says "suggested retail price" Has anyone had any luck negotiating a lower price and by how much? I live in Northern NJ if that would make a difference. I am only interested in a factory MB warranty. TIA G
    PS. After 1yr and 12K mi ther have only been a few minor problems but nothing serious. It still drives great and is as tight as day one!
  • mtsangmtsang Posts: 70
    I recently purchase the MB 4yr/100K for $1525. This I found is probably the best price around. If interested in more info, let me know and I'll e-mail you.

BTW, I also live in Northern NJ. I bought my ML320 from MB of Morristown. ;-)
  • rockypaulrockypaul Posts: 104
    Delsherif:

Rochester, NY; Holtz MB.
  • zorglubzorglub Posts: 79
    I'm looking at a used ML 320 loaded (3rd row seat, leather, CD changer, Bose, etc.) with 30,000 miles for $30K (private party). According to Edmunds, it's overpriced, but it's spot on based on kbb.com. I still have a few questions for the veterans (and other ML users) of this board:
    - does the price sound right?
    - is 99 a good year? I know that the ML had a lot of problems in its first years, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to look for, or should I even stay away from it?

Thanks for the answers.
  • carstuff3carstuff3 Posts: 11
    I purchased an early 1998 M-Class new in December of 1997. It had a number of quality issues in the first few years, but since about the 45,000 mile mark I have had zero problems. My 1996 E-Class had more problems with fewer miles than my M-Class. This is a rugged vehicle that will last a while. We just got returned from a weekend in the desert logging 400+ miles. Current mileage is 77,500. I would not purchase an extended warranty seems like a waste of money given my experience. Good luck with the 99 ML320. Pricing seems reasonable.
  • Where, other than the dealer, can I but new wiper blades for my 99 ML320? Either aftermarket or OEM... Thanks for any advice.

cj
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    Can you believe how much the dealer wants for them? I think it was $30 a piece. They replace them for free on a 'B' service, but not an 'A'.

I went to the local auto parts store and bought generic replacement arms. They work fine. Didn't bother with the back one.

They are Anco's. I don't think they are lasting as long as the MB ones did, but at less than half the price, who cares.
  • tomhocktomhock Posts: 6
    I found Anco has replacement blade inserts for the M-Class that are a perfect fit in the standard Bosch blades. They are Anco N-22R, and are only a few dollars for a set of two. I find them every bit as good as the original equipment.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• cavman2xcavman2x Posts: 26
    Thanks for your response re: extended warranty. Please e-mail me with any info. It is greatly appreciated. G