Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Having a 430 really limits your choices. Nokian makes a winter rated M/S tire that is excellent, but the size is a little off ( 275/60/17). I considered them for my 430, but went with the Michelin Cross Terrains, instead. They are a M/S rated tire, and they have done very well in the 2 or 3" of snow we have had so far. They are well sipped, so I expect they will be fine. EXPENSIVE!
    Cheers
    Pat
  • Thank you for your input. I had found the Tire Rack and was scrolling through the site. I will check on the Nokians. I bought the ML used and am thrilled to have it. It is still under warranty so I am watching my pennies. However, I live in Oregon and we want to go to the mountain for some skiing. Four tires really add up on cost !
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    "It's not so special." That is pretty funny. Mr. Hoshi say "GX not so special?" He's got guts!
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    OK, so you base your opinion on an interview with the chief engineer for the GX470, think he's going to be unbiased? duh

And I still don't see much difference between the GX and the 4Runner, the inside is the same. All that's changed are the windows, suspension settings and the outside sheetmetal. That doesn't much make it a different product.
  • I wrote for the first time two weeks ago(message #6345). I have owned my 2002 ML for over 5 months and have 7600 miles. I thoroughly enjoy the vehicle. We have had no problems and have been extremely pleased with the ride, the handling, the gas mileage (have a 320), and the very safe feeling you get knowing that you are surrounded by 10 air bags and are but a push button away from help with the tel-aid system. The vehicle has good braking ability and occasionally I like to play with the "auto-stick" transmission, which allows you to change gears. This is great when you need extra power for passing another vehicle. I should also note that my insurance was only $20 more per year over my 2000 Chrysler Town and Country Limited. The reason was the safety rating on the ML.

We looked at both of the other vehicles you mentioned. They are both fine, however, the Discovery is under powered, especially given that it is a V-8. The MDX, to me felt like driving a mini-van. It lacked the wow factor (important when your spending $40k) that I have enjoyed with my ML. We also looked at the BMW, nice vehicle, but alot of money for a small SUV. Hardly any cargo room, not to mention no 3rd row, which I wanted. While I like the hide away feature of the MDX 3rd row, I believe the ML provide more room for the 3rd row passenger. This is due to the fact that the rear seat slides 5 inches forward, providing more leg room. My knees touched the back of the rear seat in the MDX.

Like you, I followed this site for a good month before making my purchase. I concluded that the 2002 and 2003 model years have overcome the quality issues that plagued the 98-2000 models. Good luck on your decision. What ever you buy, don't spend too much time second guessing your decision.
  • mkwamemkwame Posts: 21
    We bought my wife's ML November 01, we didn't have any snow last winter in CT.

My driveway has an uphill incline, it's snowing right now 11/27/02 the ML couldn't go up my driveway. I cautiously reversed down the hill, turned off the ESP, tried to go up again, still no traction at all, tried again in LOW gear, no luck. I finally i pulled back at considerable distant got a running start and spun all the way up the driveway.

I have a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Geo Tracker both vehicles have no problem going up the driveway with this storm.

I contacted my MB dealer, they graciously offered to have vehicle at their shop this morning but I made appt. for Friday 11/29 instead. I love the ML for the safety factors, the ride, handling and the "WOW" factor but if ML cannot make it in my driveway on snow days then I'll sell it in a heartbeat.

Anyone with this problem or suggestions?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    AWD is great in inclement weather but ultimately, traction comes where the rubber meets the road.

Your tires are probably to blame.
    I have 31k on the original Dunlop tires.
    We bought my wife's ML November 01, we didn't have any snow last winter in CT.

My driveway has an uphill incline, it's snowing right now 11/27/02 the ML couldn't go up my driveway. I cautiously reversed down the hill, turned off the ESP, tried to go up again, still no traction at all, tried again in LOW gear, no luck. I finally i pulled back at considerable distant got a running start and spun all the way up the driveway.

I have a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Geo Tracker both vehicles have no problem going up the driveway with this storm.

I contacted my MB dealer, they graciously offered to have vehicle at their shop this morning but I made appt. for Friday 11/29 instead. I love the ML for the safety factors, the ride, handling and the "WOW" factor but if ML cannot make it in my driveway on snow days then I'll sell it in a heartbeat.

Anyone with this problem or suggestions?
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    The first thing that comes to mind is tires if you dont have traction. If there is one thing than the Ml is famous for is the handling in adverse weather, testimonials here and in other forums abound of first time buyers thrilled by the ability of the ML to move when other vehicles failed.
    Many say the ML320 has better traction on the snow because the narrower tires dig better compared to the wider tires of the ML430 or 500 because they tend to float on the snow, anyway snow tires are the big factor, they are silica ingregnated.
  • I have to think that tires are the problem here. I have a 99 430, in the mtns of western NC, and we get a lot of snow, although little last winter. I replaced the OEM Dunlops (275/55/17) at approx 20K mi, with Mich. LTX M/S tires in a 265/70/17 size, and they were great, but they made the truck sit 2.5" higher, and it was unstable. This past summer I put a on set of Mich. Cross Terrains, in the proper size (I have a very helpful tire merchant, and he gave a good allowance on the LTX). The tread pattern on the X_Terrains is very similar to the LTX, with more sipps. So far this winter, they have been great, thru several snow falls. My drive is quite steep, and gravel, and never gets plowed. Both the LTX and the X Terrains have no problem getting up the drive. When it's really slick, I recomend turning off the ESP, so that engine power doesn't cut back. Nokian is another brand you might consider, I don't know if they make anything in your size. http://www.nokiantires.com/ Here is a tire size calculator to help compare diff sizes http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Good luck and don't give up on the ML, it's a great foul weather truck.

Cheers

Pat

• wnielwniel Posts: 97
    I have a 98 ML 320 that I bought new and have driven it considerably in the mountain snow. We have a condo in Mammoth Lakes CA. Which is in the high Sierra and never felt like I couldn't go where I needed to go because lack of traction. I replaced the original Dunlops at 45K miles and put Dunlops on again, only the next level up and have been very pleased with them. While driving in the mountain snow, it gave me the feeling that it was impossible for me to get stuck unless I drove it into the ditch. Now if one is driving on ice, then all bets are off as it's very difficult to get traction unless you put chains on all four wheels.
  • info on the new ML350? I may have missed it but I would appreciate if if someone could give me a link to any info on the introduction, and performance of the new V6. Many thanks!
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Wofgang pages offer a wealth of information on anything related to the ML.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/

• for the link! Great site and I will use it. I couldn't find out when the 350 would go on sale tho'. I did find out all I wanted to know about the new engine and performance. After looking at Wolfgang's site and the info on the new and bigger (more "G"like?)2004 ML and the return of diesels to the US market I may wait for a bit. Thanks again!
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    The 3.7L-powered ML replaces the 320 and has been on the www.mbusa.com web site for a couple of weeks.
  • Something is wrong with your ML. I have driven more than 100,000 miles with MLs in Alaska in every kind of terrain and weather condition we have here. Deep snow on steep grades is how I drive the last 1/2 mile to get home each night in winter. Sometimes I do this on pure ice that it is impossible to stand on (then I use chains on all 4 wheels) The ML has never had a problem. Last winter I drove the thing home and the snow was above the bumper. I was amazed that it could pull up a steep grade through that stuff. The ML is bad [non-permissible content removed].
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Welcome to Town Hall, Alaskaml. Sounds like you live near Golden View maybe? (I put in ~20 yrs. in Rogers Park). There's a Rover driver in Stuckagain who hangs out here you need to meet (Nanuq). He's into snow over the bumper too!

Steve, Host
  • Not Stuckagain......Eagle River. I live at about 1500' back in the Valley.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    Oh, that's even "better" . I have visions of a Gelaendewagen in your future! Maybe it'll even snow up your way soon and cover up the glaciation.

Steve, Host