Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Mark,

Do I need the special tool to disconnect the fuel lines? It's time for a filter change on my 2000 ML.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Bikerider, I haven't done it personally - the dealer did it because I was having them do the TSB to upgrade the fuel filter.

Typically, you can get these high pressure clamps off with screwdriver and cutters, but you're supposed to use a special clamp tool to put them back on. Sorry, don't have any better info.

- Mark
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Anyone here get an invite to preview the new M-Class at their local dealer this week?

M
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Merc1, no, I didn't get and invitation to preview the new ML but I did get a solicitation to pre-order a new ML. I might consider one at the end of this year when I trade my 2002 ML500. A couple of other SUV's have popped to the top of my list.

Also, I want to the see the larger "R" class. The new 2006 ML will not offer a third seat option. I have it in my 2002 and it really comes in handy.

Mark
  • sg888sg888 Posts: 1
    I have the same probl. with my 2000 ML55 and my manuel does not explain it how to reset, I do turn off the ign. and somes times it appers again.Would ypou please how to reset it.
  • michael10michael10 Posts: 29
    I visited the NY auto show yesterday and stopped by the to ask the Mercedes contact a few questions about any information she had about a diesel option for the ML. She had absolutely NO info, not they are in discussion, maybe next year, its just a rumor, Nothing! and she did say a lot of people were asking her about this. How can she have NO response? Her answer was I do not know. You would think if you are going to have a representative on site she should at least have some useful information about the vehicle.

On a separate note, the new ML did look very nice inside and out.
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    If she was very good looking I'd overlook
    her ignorance about the cars.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Has anyone here tested the new ML yet?

M
    I haven't tested the ML yet but I heard a funny story yesterday. A very good friend of mine who lives in the state of Illinois has a very good friend who works at a "multi-line" dealer.

Two new ML's were delivered at the dealership and one sold quickly. The new owner brought it back the next day complaining that the brakes were not working correctly. The new ML owner had to really step on the brake pedal to get the vehicle to stop.

The dealer found that the brake assist was not installed. After the shock wore off, they decided to take the brake assist off of the other new one so that the customer would not have to wait for the part to be ordered. They found it to be missing too. The dealer called another Mercedes dealer who also just had two new ML's delivered and both of those didn't have the brake assist installed.

Somebody was asleep on the assembly line in Tuscaloosa, AL!

Mark
  • untrueuntrue Posts: 18
    Ridiculous! The brake assist only helps in EMERGENCY braking situations. This is a troll posting lies....
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    mark156 did not say the lack of brake assist was causing the braking problem. He simply stated that the dealer found it to be missing. Let's not be so hasty to jump on others.

tidester, host
    I promise, I'm not trolling. If I hear any more info on the new ML story, I'll pass it on.

Mark
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Posts: 266
    Yep, drove it and liked it...The packaging of options blows though. The sport package includes an interior made up of alcantara and MB tex.... aka vinyl... seats. You cannot get a full leather interior unless you spend $50k. The "comfort" package includes leather inserts for the front seats only, vinyl for coach class.
    I cannot believe the poor gas mileage with the 7-speed transmission. The epa is 16/20.
    For what it is worth, the brakes worked just fine...
    Stopped by my local Mercedes dealer today and they had 5 new ML's. Having a 2002 ML500, I still would like to have the 3rd seat. As all of you know, the third seat will not be offered on the 2006 ML, it will be in the new "R-class". But, the "R-class" will be a six passenger... with three rows of bucket seats (two in each row). So, I'll wait to see what it looks like when it comes out.

I most likely will trade at the end of this year for a 2006 SUV or wagon. The Range Rover LR3 is a strong contender as is the R-class, Lincoln Navigator and maybe the large Lexus SUV if they update the style.

Mark
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    I think MB is making a big mistake by not offering a third row option for the new M-class. Going to the R-class is not a practical option for many buyers. The R-class has three rows but only accommodates one more passenger, with its 2+2+2 seating. It has no off-road pretensions and is big -- longer than an S-class. It's likely to be significantly more expensive than the M-class too.
    wmquan, what bothers me about the R-class is that it might look too close to the Chrysler Pacifica. If it looks even the slightest bit like the Chrysler, it's a goner in my book.

I agree, I wish the ML would offer the third seat. Even though it takes up a good bit of space with the side hanging seats, it sure comes in handy when you need them. I keep my ML at my California home and it is mandatory that everyone be in a seat belt by law.

I was stopped once when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee; a friend jumped in the back area because there were six of us and only seating for five. The policeman said he wouldn't give us a ticket this time (saw out of state plates) but just to be careful because everyone must be in a seatbelt.

That's why a third seat is a top priority for me.

Mark
    Mark,

Looks are of course subjective. But I think the R-class looks like some strange hybrid of a Pacifica, a long wagon, and a minivan, IMHO. While it's based on a stretched 2006 M-class platform, it drops the SUV pretense.

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/gst/index.jsp

As for why the new M-class doesn't have a third row, I guess there are a few theories.

1) MB will offer it eventually, just not upon introduction.

2) With the new unibody construction, MB couldn't figure out a way to place the third row in a mid-sized SUV, and still achieve the safety level they require in their designs. The current M-class's frame is designed to withstand a very large amount of impact without letting the third row collapse. Perhaps they couldn't do this with the new M-class. OTOH, Volvo seems to have pulled it off with the XC90. So this reasoning is purely conjecture and I don't necessarily believe it.

3) MB doesn't want to hurt sales of the R-class.

4) MB doesn't want to hurt sales of the next-gen G-class, which is also based on a stretched 2006 M-class platform.

5) Various combinations of the above.

Looking at the pricing, it seems that a fairly well-equipped 2006 will cost about $4k more than the previous one. Scheduled maintenance is not included so that hurts too. ML350's with options will cost $50k to $57k depending on how well you load it up. That's pretty high pricing territory.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    The third row option was one of the key reasons why I bought my ML320. From what I have read they are going to offer an extended wheelbase ML with the 3rd row seating. This may be better as you can get a really usable 3rd row vs squeezing a 3rd row only for marketing.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    My take on the 3rd-row issue is that MB will position the next G-Class to be the larger 3-row vehicle. The ML, RX, etc. are now considered to be sedan-replacements for many families, so the 3rd row seems to only make sense in a vehicle that can fit ordinary-sized humans back there.

Who in their right mind wants to stuff themselves into the 3rd row of a standard-sized SUV? If you need the extra seating, then there are the GM Suburban twins, Ford trucks (Expedition, Excursion - not much longer for this beast) and the like. My guess is that MB will position the G-Class for the upwardly mobile types that want the top-of-the-range regardless of family size, or need the G to handle the kiddies.

Ingress/egress is tough enough in the larger SUV's... can't image negotiating the hurdles to crawl into the back of an ML-sized vehicle :P
    Who in their right mind wants to stuff themselves into the 3rd row of a standard-sized SUV?
    Ingress/egress is tough enough in the larger SUV's... can't image negotiating the hurdles to crawl into the back of an ML-sized vehicle

Yet people brave the confined third-row seats of GX470's, XC90's, MDX's, Pilots, Highlanders, and the current-model M-class. For many of these buyers, the third row is used for kids (who don't mind the cramped quarters) and for short trips when everyone crowds into a vehicle. For many, the third row is unused the majority of the time, but is needed on occasions. They don't care if the third row doesn't have the legroom of a R-class. These buyers don't want something as ponderous as a full-sized SUV, and don't need the size of a minivan. They certainly don't want to pay the extra premium of an R-class or a G-class.