Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Just released photos of the ML 63 can be viewed at www.germancarfans.com.

It looks to be a bad [non-permissible content removed] vehicle. Brand new 513 bhp engine. More rear leg room than a Range Rover. I am getting on a wait list. Should be available Q2 '06.

AK
  • I know that this post was 5 years ago, but I'm having the exact same problem Bob is having. Yesterday, we purchased a 2002 ML320 with around 56,531 miles on it. I live in Pennsylvania and it is at the end of the summer, and the coldest it gets at night in summer is around 60 degrees F. So I'm pretty sure it's not about cold weather.

I appolagize in advance for how long this post is. :blush:

When we got the car home, we quickly ran a half mile down the street to the gas station and the auto-locks locked at 9MPH like they normally should. We got gas and returned home (exciting trip). After that our neighbors came over and we hung around looking at the car's engine, cabin, the usual "checking out a car" routine.

The next day, we ran to Lowes to find some supplies for a project we're working on, parked in the parking lot, got out, and locked the car with the remote. All the doors locked like they should have with the lights flashing 3 times, and we went inside. Also, the auto-locks worked when you hit 9MPH.

After about 45 minutes, we left the store and went to the SUV. I hit the UNLOCK button on the remote and the lights flashed once like they should have, but none of the doors unlocked. We tried it a couple more times, but nothing happened. So finally I just used the key to get in and we were on our way home thinking the batteries in the remote were dead or something, nothing major. That's when it got weird.

On the way home, after hitting 9MPH, the locks locked, unlocked, and then locked again (now we're thinking, "hmmm....odd"). After a few minutes of driving we had to stop at a stop light. When we started driving again and we hit 9MPH, the door locks unlocked, and then locked again. We got home and I read everything about locks and doors and EVERYTHING about synchronizing the remote with the SUV and the central locking system and EV-ER-Y-THING about it. I tried disengaging the central locking system and nothing that didn't solve anything.

Now, when you lock it with the remote, all doors except the driver's lock, unlock, and then lock. The unlocking works fine when I unlock it. If I get out, shut the drivers door, open the other door and push the knob down to lock the driver's door, and then shut all doors and lock with the remote, the lights flash 3 time and it looks normal. But when I go to unlock with the remote, nothing unlocks and I have to use the key to get it.

Please help!!!
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    You probably have the common lock/unlocking problem commonly referred to as "machine gun locks". ML's have been plagued with it, especially the early years. It was supposedly fixed in later years, so I wouldn't think a 2002 would have the issue. The only fix I've heard of is replacing the locks with a later model. I'd go see the dealer - even if out of warranty, I'd ask for consideration.

- Mark
  • Yeah, I was going to check today, but I realized something yesterday. Since all the doors remotely lock except the driver's door and someone does want to break in, the alarm will go off if you open the driver's door. So, he opens the door, alarm goes off, he runs, and my windows aren't broken from him trying to get it!

I'm just glad I can disable the auto-lock feature when I'm driving because they'd be loudly locking and unlocking the whole ride! - It'd drive me crazy!!! :D
  • ttomttom Posts: 1
    I have a question about this. The German MB website shows the V6 diesel on sale now in Germany. So the ML's that were spotted in AL with CDI markings may have been real units headed to Germany and not just test vehicles. So US sales of ML CDI units may be sooner than you have indicated. Any hard info? Thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I'm sure this AMG 8 mpg beast will be wildly popular with gas headed for $4/gallon.

- Mark
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    will be wildly popular with gas headed for $4/gallon.

Half of the prognosticators will be right and half will be wrong. I think it's more tea leaves and voodoo than anything else. :)

tidester, host
  • Most reputable dealers will help you out on this as the ML you have must have the outsourced, low bid early version door locks.

Known problem and the dealer will make money on the repair if M-B reimburses.

Win-win all around and keep the customer satisfied.
  • The computer in the ML stores fault codes and then the warning light will go out on emission problems and some others.

I had 2 such: oil pressure light resulted from a faulty oil sensor in the oil pan which calculated the FSS service interval.

The second was for a valve/vapor/sensor at the fuel tank; I had to pay since the emissions warranty only extended for 24 months.
    Could not believe it until I re-read warranty.
  • How can i perform oil change for ml 500
  • Help!! We bought our 1999 ML320 a few years ago and just failed NJ inspection because our 'check engine' light doesn't come on. I took it to the dealership, and they said it would be $1700 since it was a short in the console and the entire light panel would need to be replaced. Is there any suggestion anyone has on trying to fix this issue? I can't believe that the only solution is to replace the entire console. Thanks.
    Most states have an exemption from the emissions regs if you make a good faith effort to fix the problem and costs exceed some specified limit.

I'd get another diagnosis with another dealer or an independent mechanic. My strong guess is that the CEL doesn't work because someone disabled it - it's done all the time when someone wants to sell a car and don't want to fix the CEL problem. So my bet is that it is probably an easy fix when you find out where the sabotage occurred.

- Mark
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well I don't have any hard info, but it is a pretty safe bet that the ML320 CDI won't go on sale here until at the end of 2006, at the earliest. The new V6 CDI engine needs clean diesel to be certifiable for sale here. It won't run well on the current "dirty" diesel we have in the U.S. right now. Europe has used cleaner diesel for years hence the ML320 CDI being on sale there already. Its impossible to say if the ML320s you saw were testing or just being prepped for overseas delivery. I'd bet on the latter.

Once MB can certify the new V6 CDI engine for sale here I'm sure there will be a ML320, R320 and of course the current E320 CDI will ditch its I6 as well.

What I want to see is the new V8 diesel in the a inevitable S420, ML420 and R420 come to the U.S. market. The new E420 CDI is going on sale in Europe very soon, it would make a hell of an addition to the U.S. E lineup imo.

Just wait until clean diesel comes on line. In my area diesel is like 20 cents cheaper than than the lowest grade of gasoline. If prices stay like this, and I hope they don't, you'll see huge interest in diesels as well as hybrids. This is why I think MB is sitting on a gold mine if they can get a diesel hybrid to market in the next 18 months or so.

There is even a CLK320 CDI Coupe and Cabriolet in Europe, but now I'm getting carried away.........

M
  • I have a 2001 ML320 38kmiles on it.(original owner) I really didn't have too much problems but factory warranty just run out this January. Since then, I put on new tires because my original tire was really bad by now. My ML only have few options,leather seat, seat warmer, 6-CD changer, moonroof. MSRP was about 40K
    MB dealer will give me 21K for it if I'm buying new MB but I think to my eyes it kind look like Pontiac Azutec.So, I'll be getting some other brand SUV but other brand dealer ,they only want to give me 18K......I'll keep trying to at least get 20K but we shall see...reading here kind scare me.....I think i was lucky that I didn't have much problem with my ML. Hoping to get rid of it before the major problem happens!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Mercedes Exec: Quality Is Back on Track (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have an ML55 AMG 2002. I had/have a similar problem. The transmission was jerky and then I lost power and couldn't go over 3000 RPM without half of the engine shutting down. I had the Mass Airflow Sensor changed which appears to have solved the transmission problem but am still suffering with a "wobbly" engine which it is in repair for at the moment. I have been told that the repair will cost 2,800 Euros!! I have previously had power steering failure on the car which nearly caused a nasty accident for which it appeared that the card had not been recalled.

I also have a problem with the command system not always recognising the Navigation CD. The Oil Sensor is faulty and currently being replaced - which involves raising the engine out of the car - that's sensible German fitting for you.

The Engine Management light has stopped working (probably overuse!!).

Also The Handbrake coupling broke and had to be replaced.

Anyone with similar problems, I'd be grateful to hear from
  • I just bought a pre-owned ML350 2005 at an MB dealer, with about 15K miles. I requested it to be Certified Pre-Owned. When I went to pick up the car, the salesperson said the emissions test had resulted in "rejection" since "the emission data in the car's computer was reset during the car's revision."

He also said to go back to the dealer after driving for a few days, then enough data would have accumulated to pass the emissions test.

Does this make any sense to you guys?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go back to the dealer this week, as I am afraid of being duped.

Thx.
  • If the battery was disconnected or replaced, the on-board diagnostic computer (OBD II) was reset. As a result, the sensors for the emission system are not all "on" and sets off "non-readiness" codes and this is what causes the car to not pass inspection.

The sensors turn on one by one after certain drive cycles are completed. A few days of routine driving should be enough for the cycles to be met and all sensors to be turned on. At that point, the OBD II can be read to complete the inspection.
  • smwls8smwls8 Posts: 103
    A recent issue of MotorTrend had a small piece about the CDI engine changing to a V- configuration and being implemented into several different models. Americans still have a bad taste for diesel cars, but this execellent powertrain is very tempting. The article speculated that the CDI ML320 would appear here sometime late 2006..... can't wait.

Anyone see or convert european ML 320 CDI fuel mileage to US equivilants? If the E320 CDI is rated around 37 highway US, I would assume the ML 320 CDI should bring at least 30 highway US?