Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fmfc1fmfc1 Posts: 4
    This noise is most likely coming from the rear torsion bar mounts for the front suspension. The plastic piece in the mounts drys out or cracks. The piece is replaceable seperately
  • fmfc1fmfc1 Posts: 4
    The noise you hear is probably coming from the recirculation flap motor. The stop for the motor breaks causing the motor to overrun
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    My problem is fixed. There was a missing AC compressor mounting bolt. I presum at slighly higher revs the belt created some tension and the bolt didn't matter.

And my MB dealer wanted to charge me $2,000 to fix this!
  • chumsaechumsae Posts: 61
    In the last couple of weeks, my 2000 ML320 radio will not turn on. It seems to be without power as even the automatic faceplate tilting button is inop. At night I do see the small LED in the center of the on-off-volume knob.

When I pull the 25A fuse, then place it back in its socket
    and enter the radio code, and the unit works for a few days.

This morning the unit showed a new symptom; I had the radio on, but turning the on-off-volume knob had no effect.... it stayed at the prior volume setting and would not turn off when I pressed the knob. It did turn off when I turned off the car. I was able to change stations and bands this morning up until until things seemed to freeze, then, no controls worked but the current station continued to play.
    :confuse:
  • I know I should be doing it, but I am really inconvienced by taking it to a dealer 180 miles away. Most of my vehicles have been a piece of cake to drain and refill. The 2000 ML320 has a radiator drain that is impossible to reach, the block drains are invisible. Anyone have a clue how to do this? Do I have to pull the bottom radiator hose?
  • how to change canbin filter 2003 ml350
  • On my 2000 it's under the glove box in the passenger footwell. Undo the panel, & pull the old filter out. Note direction of the filter when replacing. Somewhat awkward to see the panel, but with a light & some contortions you will.
  • hello can some1 help me here I just got me a 2002 ML320 and the stereo was not working, all it says is enter code, i contact a dealer and they give me the code but when i put it in ....all it say is WAIT and nothing happens...
  • hello how are you iam really intersted in the 3rd row seat please contact me back
  • hello i just bought a 2002 ML320 but the stereo was not working, its asking for a code,I has contact a dealer and they give me a code but when i enter the code all it says is WAIT and nothing happens. i was told that i need a cd to reprogram the stereo, is this true? if it is where do i get this CD from? does any1 have this cd can u sell it to me?...what can i do to fix this problem im very exited with my new vehicle but with no sound system its not the same.....thanks.
  • I had what sounds like the same problem. Mine came up because I had
    three different Radio Code cards in my car, and I used the wrong one when
    powering up after the battery was disconnected for other service.

It seems that if one enters the wrong code more than once, then the radio enters some sort of algorithm that posts the word "WAIT" on the screen then spins off into Never Never Land. The spin can go from one hour up to 24 hours, then you will be
    prompted to enter your 5-digit code.

So, just wait.

Rick
  • I found my own answer at www.whnet.com/4x4/shoptalk.html, which is the ML shop talk forum.

There, they describe the problem to be much as I was experiencing. They suggest "checking" fuse F10, which is a 10 A fuse. In addition to the 25 A fuse labled "Radio", fuse F10 is labled, "Radio, glove box light..."

In my case the F10 fuse looked ok, but I swapped it with a 10A spare. At first, this did not do the trick, but from the following day onward, the radio has worked perfectly.

So, the fix is to pull and reinsert the 25 A fuse (I forget the number but there is only one of these) and F10, one of the 10A fuses.
  • Can somebody help me out here. I lost my ML320 2000 model owner and repair manuals, If any one has it online can you help me out?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am fast approaching the end of my factory warranty and was wondering if anyone here recommends purchasing of an extended warranty for a 2005 Mercedes Benz ML 350? I haven't had any major mechanical or electrical issues as of yet but I do know how expensive it is to repair MBZ's. The extended warranty is about $4000 for 100k miles of protection. Are there any major issues I need to worry about in the future or now? Any information will be useful, thank you!
  • Bump.......
    I know I should be doing it, but I am really inconvienced by taking it to a dealer 180 miles away. Most of my vehicles have been a piece of cake to drain and refill. The 2000 ML320 has a radiator drain that is impossible to reach, the block drains are invisible. Anyone have a clue how to do this? Do I have to pull the bottom radiator hose?
  • I had the same problem before all you need to do is turn your key to on position like if you are about to turn your car on and leave in this position for approx 15 minutes then it will clear (wait) you only have 3 trys to enter the right radio code
    if you do not enter the right code the radio will lock out again then you will need to repeat the same process again
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A reporter seeks consumers who drive diesel vehicles. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, December 11, 2007.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I am looking for my first car and I really like the M-class. i am looking at a 2001 ml430. I am worried about the reliability though. Any suggestions?
  • In my opinion, the ML's offer lots of value for the money, but are not as trouble free as, say, a Lexus SUV.

What you get are: safety, handling, smooth powertrain, true off road capability, and lots of luxury features. Our ML320 gets over 20MPG, which is probably 20% better than other SUV's of similar size and weight. The chassis design contributes to a nice ride and also extends tire life (I think) since we just got 85,000 miles on a set of Michelin Cross Terrains. So, the ML does offer certain operational economies not found in lessor SUVs. Of course, the ML430 will suffer in the MPG department... do you really need the V8?

If you read through the 5000 posts you'll see a pattern of uncharacteristic faults which one would not expect from Mercedes. Our older MB sedan had a more of a hand-crafted feel than our later model ML (2000 ML320). But, our ML, now with
    125K miles, has actually been fairly good: we have fixed the AC compressor, the driver's seat skirting is broken, the windshield fluid tank was replaced, the fuse box fan was replaced, we hear a clicking in the heating ducts (an actuator), the power window switch failed, one door lock actuator failed, the CD unit was replaced, and our radio is now flakey.

Balance the problems against the benefits, and the ML offers good value. Most posters comment that one should look at used ML's from 2000 up, but I'd guess that once the 98-99 models settled in they were ok too.