Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Thanks...perhaps it is still in your e-mail programes's "sent" folder?

Yes, that's what I thought too. MB dealers in colder parts of the country would use Mobil 1 0W40, whereas the rest would use 15W50. Of course, there are other non-Mobil brands of synthetics that MB approves as well. Strangely though, MB Canada has not adopted MBUSA's policy. We don't get free oil changes here, and my guess is that they fear a huge customer uproar if they start using the (pricey because of their high markup) synthetic stuff exclusively. The standard mineral oil that the dealers in my area use for oil changes is 5W40.
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    hi, it would be real nice if I could get a hold of that whole litronic article ? so if anyone one of you could email it to me..that would be great!

dt77
    deeteeseventyseven@hotmail.com
    I'll post it in Photopoint and let you know once I get it :-) Unfortunately, I thought Photopoint had it so, I stoopidly removed it off my server. Grrr....I'm sticking to e-mailing pictures to Photopoint instead of using the "easy upload" feature now. This is not the first time that it has happened.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • maabmaab Posts: 41
    I just heard on the radio that Euormotorcar (MD dealer) will be phasing in two hundred E320s and ML320s as loaners within next six months. Yoo hoo!

Another dealer in VA (HBL) is using Enterprise to give out loaners. The last time I went in for service, they gave me a Sunfire (that's one way of making sure you don't put too many miles on loaners).

Since HBL is closer to my house, I'll ask them if they can match MD dealer (for Es and Ms loaners) next time I need to go in for service.
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    HBL/Enterprise once gave me a stinky loaner, can't remember whether it was neon, but the stench left with you. At that time, they told me that's the only one left.

Maab, do you know if ASC is using Enterprise, too? Although, like you, HBL is so much closer to my house.
  • maabmaab Posts: 41
    Actually, I've never dealt with them before (oops, I take it back). My dad bought an E from them a couple of years ago, but somehow that dealer never showed up on my Radar (if you know what I mean).

Upside to HBL is that their facility had a recent facelift so all the facilities (waiting room, showroom floor,etc.) are new.

Euromotorcar is still doing the expansion (read construction), so you don't get a good impression when you go to the dealer. But then again you can't judge a book by it's cover.
    I was at a American Honda Motor in Torrance CA last nite. They did something with SAE and presented th MDX. Quite interesting SUV ... without full time 4wd. In case yer stuck, you can even press this button on the dash that would send all power to the rear wheels hehe..i thought that was funny. They don't really have a very active stability control like the ML has and the rear wheel are actually coupled and they cannot spin or accelerate independantly.

Great mileage, cuz when in cruise, little or no power is sent to the rear wheels. They even showed a vehicle test video out in the desert with a 98/99 ML320. all in humor, the ML was portrayed to suck. And of course at the end, the MDX was towing the ML out of a ditch hehe..

according to a another presentation, the MDX was bigger (interior) than the ML and the X5. also had the highest torque curve among it's competition .hmm..X5 would be the 3.0.

dt77
  • ddavis001ddavis001 Posts: 14
    How is the reliability of you folks M-Class vehicles? Also, how do you think resale fares for this vehicle?
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    dt77:
    They seem to have done pretty well in snow this year. And no rollover pics yet :-)
    If any of you folks have switched tires on your MLs, would you mind stopping by http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class and filling out a tire review? It will help your fellow ML owners. Places w/ reviews like TireRack don't let you get reviews of tires on your kind of car. Hopefully, this will fill this information void.
  • bob349bob349 Posts: 1
    I've a '98 BB ML-320 with 40,000 miles on it. For the last three and half years, I have a lot of
    little problems but nothing major. The worst one is the replacement of window's electric motor. I plan to keep this car for a few more years but feel leery about it's reliability. Can anyone
    recommend me a good reliable, but inexpensive extended warranty provider? I really worry about one of those on-line extended warranty providers because they come and go, you don't even know where to find them. Anyone has driven a '98 model over 60,000 miles without any major problem? My original warranty will be expired by this September.

Please help!

Bob
  • tangjtangj Posts: 4
    my service b is coming up and i have been using mobile 1 10w30 since day one (after the 1st 1k miles), do i have to use 15w50 or the dealer will void my warrenty, i used to supply mobile 1 10w30 and oem oil filter and the dealer accepted it during my last service, any feedback...... thanks
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    tangj; I just had my 'A' service on Tuesday. The dealer here is using Mobil 1 0w40 for the dealer changes. I asked about oil weight and told them about the discussions we've had on the forum and the SA and mechanic, who went to the MB meeting, both said there would be no problems if I continued to use Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 for my mid changes.

I wish I could get the 0w40 at a retailer though.
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    Wow, no discussion here for almost one day. Is the stock market affecting this site, too? :)

Anyway, noticed that there's some rattle/squeaky noise coming from my front passenger door, i have to investigate some more, but has anyone have this problem? I'll check to make sure it's not coming from the dash.

TIA
    Glenn
  • dagilldagill Posts: 13
    rat and sque are part and parcel of owning an ML. I know alot of you out there can live with it, I have had enough. The dealers have been fabulous but there is so much they can do if the problem comes back a few weeks after repairs and I do not think MBUSA gives a damn. It irritates and annoys me when I am driving wout music and the wind noise is another ball game. I have driven Mercedes for the last 10/11 years both in Spore,UK and the US but this will be my last. Sadly the Germaness is not there anymore. ML 6 months, CD replaced, glove box replaced, back wipers sorted, rattles & squeak still around? Will I recommend Mercedes probably not unless you can fork out $50000
    You could either have the infamous dash noise, of u could have the noise which i noticed some time ago .but only surfaces sometimes. The friction produced when the rubber sealants from the doors rub against each other. The doors' rubber seals rub agains the doors' opening seals and produces this noise. U can replicate the noise by sticking your fingers in the gap while doors are closed. Actually, hardly audible, it occurs when the ML body frame experiences bending.

dt77
    hehe, look at all these flags next to peoples' names...hehe..Drew, got sgp of hkg flags too ?

dt77
    I think we should replace the flag w/ MB logos ;-)
    OR little gifs of the ML ! =)
    Testing...like my little Canadian flag? ;-) We've introduced this feature so that we can differentiate which countries our members reside in (provided you provide the appropriate info in your profile, of course), especially since we have now brought in Town Hall UK.
    Thanks for your e-mails. I figured out what happened the last time WRT why Photopoint ate my uploads. The image files were over 2600 X 2600 dpi, and Photopoint doesn't allow images that large. I've resized them and will upload them at once.
    A couple of people have written to me in the past asking what sort of pump I use to fill my tires. Here are a couple of pictures of my 100psi hand air pump. It was on sale that week for about CDN$12, and came with several attachments for inflating other objects.

Drew
    Host

P.S. The wheels were just washed prior to these pictures ;-)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,809
    I don't get it. That's a lot of volume to be filling up with a lil' ol' hand pump. Do the service stations charge beaucoup bucks for air up there?

(my foot operated Taiwanese pump cost US $1.25, btw ).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Why not use a portable that runs off of the cigarette lighter? I think mine cost me $12 USD at K-Mart. I keep one in each vehicle for emergencies.

Still use the hand pump on the mountain bike though.
    I'm headed toward getting a hand bike pump as well. It's basically the fastest way to get air into the tire unless you want to spend $$$. The foot pump is 2nd fastest. The cigarette lighter type is slowest (though it is the easiest to use ;-). The reason is the pump cylinder volume (think piston size) determines the speed you can pump air in. For pumping, bigger is better. :-)

The electric ones aren't fast unless you hack in a room A/C compressor or spend >$300 for an "off-roading" electric pump. Actually, I've always wondered why car makers don't provide an air hookup for the car's built-in A/C compressor.
  • sandeckisandecki Posts: 29
    Hi All!
    I am planning on upgrading my wheels on 2001 ML320 to 17 inch. From tire perspective there are not that many choices. I am the Michelin fanatic but unfortunately online I could not find the new Michelin SUV Terrain which looks pretty good.

But all there is available: Dun lop Grand Trek (our original Equip) or Pirelli Scorpion (double the price of Dun lop)

Question: Are the Pirellis really worth it? And what do you all think about original Dun lops? I didn't have the car for too long to form an opinion yet. Thanks for your help. BUS
    Perhaps it's because you got the name of the Michelin tires wrong. They're the Michelin Cross Terrains, not the UV Terrains.

I like the Dunlop Grandtrek tires. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing well, and have good grip in the snow (and area also capable for mild offroading).
    Gas stations don't charge for air over here :-) I like having a pump at home since it's so much more convenient, especially in the rainy months (which is basically 8 out of 12 in Vancouver ;-) . Did I mention that it has been raining the whole day, not that I really mind? :-p ). Also, after driving to the gas station, the tires have warmed up and the readings won't be accurate. Besides, it's not like I'm inflating the tire from 0 psi. I'm just adjusting it a little.

As for the foot pump, I managed to torque the frame sideways after all of the pumping that I've done. The cylinder is also far smaller than the hand pump, and hence it takes a longer amount of time and greater effort to increase the tire by 2 psi. (2 or 3 pumps of the hand pump = 20 pumps of the foot pump).
    I have a 12 volt powered compressor in the cargo area as well. It has an emergency blinker and a flashlight. I don't like it because it's slow and extremely noisy, as Ken mentioned.

Drew
    Host