Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18656461&postcount=1

Roof rack (carrier base) now rated to carry 176 pounds! Used to be 100 pounds.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We don't agree on much, at least the subjective stuff.

I prefer the sedan. No clear tails, and it doesn't look tall and not-quite-long-enough like the hatch does.

To be honest I'm really looking forward to the Forester, because I prefer true wagons over hatches.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Not trying to downplay this but the last place where I would want to be carrying almost 200 lbs is on the roof of a sub-compact, regardless of the rating of the carrier base.

I would be more impressed if the - payload - were to increase to like 1100 lbs or so, from the current 900lbs (850 lbs for sedan).
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    The Blade runner theme looks like they combined it with something from Final Fantasy.
    I see the market they are going for and have no idea how it will work. Most marketing ploys don't seem to work well on me, show me gobs of power at a good price with good performance and that will sell me more than a commercial. But Subaru is trying to target a very broad audience with this stuff and going after Internet sales says a lot.
    I hope it works for them but I think they need more focus. But what do i know I'm not a marketing guy. maybe the next few commercials will be better. If they wanted this stuff they Should have let SquareSoft do the commercial for them and that would have been much better IMO.
    I like the JDM feel. Too many people try to go "euro". The ads make it proud of what it is.
    For those who may have overlooked it:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/index.jsp?fr_story=597d89c8d6a7521869c30d9b8a77d50783ff5d39

I think these ads are pretty sophisticated. I like the visuals and direction they are taking. They should appeal to a broader audience, which is what they're trying for. From what I see here—they will stand out—and that's half the battle in advertising.

Bob
    I'm not crazy about that one. It's too artificially digital.

But what do I know? Movies like that get crazy box office numbers.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Either way we need 2 cars and I worry she will stuff the car into a snowbank as she's never even seen snow!

You do realize that VDC would be 1000x safer for a person driving in snow over an LSD would right? Your wife having VDC would be a lot more important than having an LSD for your auto-x excursions.

-mike
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    I'm with you, juice... celebrate the Japanese-ness of the brand, when appropriate. Many have grown up with an image of Japanese culture as ultra-modern, cool & intriguing. To do that in the US, though, they should've followed through by including the high-tech features offered on the JDM models.

As long as you're marketing to folks below 65 years old, Japanese products have a solid reputation. They need to be careful about keeping upscale, modern & high-tech images in their ads, too. High-tech Japanese goods are awesome. Average Japanese goods are, well, not inspiring.
    You do realize that VDC would be 1000x safer for a person driving in snow over an LSD would right? Your wife having VDC would be a lot more important than having an LSD for your auto-x excursions.

Yes but if 2 people need to drive the car then it's a different matter. Also consider this many cars already have some form of traction control. Better than Subaru? No idea until I drive it but we have dropped a few cars off our list and the Subaru is still on it. Why Subaru can't offer the LSD as a $500 option which is what it costs as an option on some other cars is beyond me.
    I am liking the MINI Cooper S and it has a LSD and traction Control and it has a good style to it but the dealer is very far away about 2 hours and I have no clue as to how I would get it serviced. My wife likes a few cars that I don't but the Cooper S we both like but there is no room in the back seat for a full sized adult on a long trip nor luggage space.
    Saw the video of the new STI and I'd buy a BMW for that kind of money, seriously, they are just too expensive and the BMW will be an easier sale down the road.
    Make the LSD an option in the WRX and it would be a good thing for those who want it versus those who don't. I may have to go back to the US mainland for a few weeks and then I have to come back here for 6 months. I am thinking I just might buy the older WRX Wagon 2007 model, lots of incentives but parking it for 6 months is a worry as no one can start it up and run it. It would sit in a garage for the entire time which might damage it.
    But the VDC sounds good i just don't think they should have taken out the LSD in favor of what amounts to fancy braking and throttle control. maybe Subaru couldn't figure out how to use both components together?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    VDC is fairly advanced, to break it down to "fancy braking and throttle control" is belittling it a bit.

As for a $500 stand alone option, Subaru can't afford to do stand alone options, especially one that is produced in Japan and shipped over here. They just don't do the volume to be able to mass pre-produce all those options, there is no such thing as "special ordering", yes you can order a car with XYZ options, but really what happens is your dealer waits until the distribution corp gets one with those specs in stock and then sells it to you.

As for getting it to work together? The Spec B has VDC and a rear LSD, but neither is an option and you are paying top dollar for that car.

The Mini is a nice car, but if service is 2hrs away that's not necessarily a good thing and it won't be 1/2 the car that the WRX would be in the snow. Also from what I've been told the LSD on the Mini is fairly limited with only a 20% LSD at most, a friend just sold one to get a 2001 2.5RS

-mike
    I remember Ultra Man from when I was a kid, and Anime is fresh on the minds of Gen Y nowadays, they grew up with it.

Who in their 20s would not recognize Pokemon, for instance.

Leave the 'kraut for the Euro brands.
    Strange, I can't connect. I'll try again later.
    Works for me.

Bob
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    VDC is fairly advanced, to break it down to "fancy braking and throttle control" is belittling it a bit.

How so?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    You do realize that VDC would be 1000x safer for a person driving in snow over an LSD would right?

I don't necessarily agree. Having something cut power and hit the brakes for me on a slippery surface doesn't sound all that helpful, actually.

Especially if this comes at a cost of making it less fun to drive the rest of the time.
    Finally got the video working...that thing was really hauling asphalt! :D
    Mike says: VDC is fairly advanced, to break it down to "fancy braking and throttle control" is belittling it a bit.

Steve asks: Ok so can you tell me about it because to me it pretty much seems like that's what it's doing. I'd really like to know about VDC in a way which explains it clearly but what I see is traction control that works by using the brakes and reducing the throttle. So honestly I'd like to know what I'm missing.

Mike says: As for a $500 stand alone option, Subaru can't afford to do stand alone options, especially one that is produced in Japan and shipped over here. They just don't do the volume to be able to mass pre-produce all those options, there is no such thing as "special ordering", yes you can order a car with XYZ options, but really what happens is your dealer waits until the distribution corp gets one with those specs in stock and then sells it to you.

Steve says: Yeah I hear you on that one. Still it would be nice if Subaru would do something like that. As far as the Spec B I don't think it's as performance oriented as the Impreza but a lot more comfortable.

Mike says: The Mini is a nice car, but if service is 2hrs away that's not necessarily a good thing and it won't be 1/2 the car that the WRX would be in the snow. Also from what I've been told the LSD on the Mini is fairly limited with only a 20% LSD at most, a friend just sold one to get a 2001 2.5RS

Steve says: Yep, and people sell WRX's to get Mini's it's what drives the car world. :)
    Yes, it's hard to beat AWD in the snow but so many factors come into play. Price, reliability, fuel economy, looks, driveability etc....
    For me right now the WRX is competing with the 2008 Honda Accord. I'm a bit ticked off because they won't offer the V6 with a stick in the 4 door any longer but it's a lot of car for the money and we get snow for maybe 3 months of the year. The Accord gives you a lot for a similar price point but no AWD. I know you are/were a fan of the GTO, but we need reliability also and I have to drive a lot of highway my wife has to drive more in the city. Nothing in 2007 interests me and 2008 is a dull year as there are no diesels. :( I'd take an Accord diesel over a WRX in a heartbeat! But I'd have to wait another year. This is why so many conflicts about cars. I want a diesel, my wife likes diesels also but no one likes VW dealerships and not one in my area has gotten a good review online, and the ones I've dealt with in the past :mad: the words I'd use would get me thrown off the forum. Plus resale on them isn't very good either, at least not in my area. So for us it will either be buying a Fit then move into an Accord diesel or buy a WRX and get a diesel in 2 years or something like that. Either way we will most likely end up with a Fit as a second car. The Mini is nice but it's a long hike to the dealership and if you don't like the dealership you have to deal with Boston traffic, and that one is the only other one in the State and it's a long drive to buy and service a car, nice and cute as it is and no discounts just full MSRP.
    BMW 1 series looks nice but might be too small and price is unknown but if I can buy a 135i for $30K and the back seat is actually useable for an adult I might buy one.
    3 series is ideal but $41K is not what I want to pay, I have other things I like to do with my $$$.
    The wife also likes the RAV4 and the CR-V but I'm not into SUV's. If I'm going to buy a truck it had better be able to haul about 5,000lbs or so.
    The CR-V and the RAV4 sold outside the US are smaller than ones sold in the US.
    I drove a Miata with Nokian Hakka Q tires and I passed all kinds of cars in the winter during weather that was really horrible. Drove through a canadian blizzard up in Quebec City in that Miata so tires make a big difference.
    We shall see I'm not married to any of these cars. I really need to drive them to make a choice but the choice is narrowed down and Subaru is still up there even with them pulling out the LSD. I'm still :mad: about that!
    VDC
    The euro RAV4 is indeed smaller but the CR-V is one size for the whole globe, I believe.

Honda does have a smaller FR-V but it's just not competitive.