Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Joe Spitz does a heck of a job chronicling Subarus. Here he has images on all the various functions of the NAV unit on the new WRX/2.5i Premium models w/NAV.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/nav2.html

Bob
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Joe's the man! :shades:

This is a different nav system than Tribeca, correct? Extremely pleased to see they've added Spanish language to the English & French that are offered on Tribeca. You can control the key chime & the defroster timers? How cool is that! Looks well thought-out.

I wonder how the SRS-WOW sound system works w/the Nav control... I know you can't get the CD changer if you get Nav, but is it still the SRS-WOW upgraded audio system on the single disc setup? Also wonder if the new optional iPod interface kit will work with the Nav. It'd be a pity to lose the premium audio & iPod interface if you choose a model with Nav.
  • I wonder if they will update any of the turbo engines because I heard the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart will have around 230 hp.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Monterey Park, CaliforniaPosts: 28
    Magic 8 Ball says, "Doubtful."
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Seems like the 08 Imprezas (including the OBS) are not rated for towing at all, unlike the 2000 lbs towing capacity of the 07 version !

Also, as far as the EAT version is concerned, the WRX 4EAT is no longer VTD and thus the 08 WRX 4EAT no longer has a Center Differential. So now it drives with a 90/10 Front-wheel-biased torque split, when compared to the 02-07 which drove with a Rear-wheel-biased 45/55 Torque split. So unlike the 02-07 4EAT WRX which is permanently in AWD, the 08 can be made into a full-time Front-wheel-drive, by pulling a fuse. This was a significant difference between the 02-07 4EAT WRX and the other Imprezas....only the WRX came with a Center Differential, while the other 4EAT Auto Imprezas did not. Now that difference has disappeared in the 08 !

The Cargo capacity with the seats up, has reduced from 27 to 19 and with the rear seats folded flat, has reduced from around 62 cu.Ft of storage in the 02-07 wagons, to 44 cu.Ft in the 08 Hatch.

So it seems like pretty significant changes (not all for the better) have taken place during the 08 re-design.
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    Seems like the 08 Imprezas (including the OBS) are not rated for towing at all, unlike the 2000 lbs towing capacity of the 07 version !

I'm sorry but as I read each new thing about Subaru and not just in this forum the picture becomes more and more clear that Subaru has made too many changes. We were considering a base Impreza but with zero ability to tow plus it's now pretty much a FWD I can't see the logic in buying the car. I might buy a leftover 2007 but I just don't see Subaru as a viable option like I used to.
    The Mazda 3 looks good and it's also a FWD.
    The STi is going to be either really awesome or watered down also. I can't really see paying the money for Subaru any more. Perhaps if/when they redesign the car again it will be worth another look. but for now it seems like you aren't getting much bang for your buck. :sick:
    Word has it that the WRX automatic no longer has VTD, which means it's now like other non-VTD models which are FWD-biased in their front/rear power default. On previous VTD auto WRXs the power default was 45/55.

The good news is that most people don't buy WRX automatics, and now this is even more reason not to buy a WRX auto.

Bob
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,476
    You miss the point entirely, Bob. All new styling, softer steering/suspension, better interior upgrades were made to supposedly bring mainstream "semi-premium" compact buyer. Subaru pretty much said "screw you enthusiasts, if you want something more shell out 35K and buy our new STI - we want Joe Schmo to buy new Impreza, including WRX". Many of those people simply can't drive manuals and have to get automatics. With the previous AWD system WRX was at least unique in the market - there was nothing else like it, even with that pittyful 4-speed AT.

All Auto WRX became now is a just fast car with really antiquated transmission, nice but not stunning interior, poor gas mileage (premium required) and with system that helps you a little in snow or would transfer power back if you launch too hard. All that for 26-28 grand, depending if you want some contemporary conveniences or not. You got to be kidding me! For that kind of money you can already have real piece of tech with DSG, better gas mileage and much better styling (mind you A3 starts 25.5K DSG adds something like 1-1.5 grand?) that at least does not pretend to be anything else. Or you could save a bunch and buy admittedly slower but much nicer Mazda3. Or GTI. Or add some money and get yourself a TSX. Or whatever else is in the market, as it makes much more sense than that POS.

Oh boy - no I really see $1000 minimum cashback as early as January or March. Especially that the manual version will also have an uphill battle for existence. SRT-4 for around 23K with more equipment, same with Speed3. And Raliart is going to kill them. :cry: :cry:

Legend reborn fiasco continues....

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    So unlike the 02-07 4EAT WRX which is permanently in AWD, the 08 can be made into a full-time Front-wheel-drive, by pulling a fuse.

Real world fuel economy will improve slightly with the 90/10% split. The ability to not require a flat bed truck for a tow is a significant advantage that many potential purchasers will like. The differentiation from the STI is thus increased...permitting a profitable greater price spread. CAFE problems may have contributed to the 90/10% change.
    I read the split is 60/40 F/R for the 4AT at www.imprezaenvy.com last night.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    ^Big difference over 90/10. Perhaps that's enough to address Steve's complaint of being pretty much FWD bias. I don't recall seeing a default 60/40 F/R split w/Subaru before... just 90/10 & 45/55.
    Since SOA's web site is weak sauce, I had to turn to our friends up north again for solid 60/40 split info you all can easily see.

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.asp?WebPageID=6728&Range=Impreza&ModelYear=2008&Web- - SiteID=282
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Much better web-site! Yep that's what we gain for the privilege of paying $8000 more for the same vehicle.
    Very interesting. There had been some debate as to whether it was a 90/10 or a 80/20 split. Now we know it it's 60/40. I checked the Forester and it's the same deal. The Outback description, however, is less clear because of the different AWD systems used. No front/rear split percentages were mentioned.

I wonder if this is new, or if it's been this way for some time.

Bob
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    Bob,
    60/40 would certainly be nicer for both handling and traction. Can anyone confirm that pulled fuse = FWD?
    Dave
    Just got an email. The offer is amazing - over 2 grand above what I would expect from dealer on trade (12700 for '03 WRX wagon). Now, if those new Imprezas had sunroof 6 speed tranny and HID, I would probably run to the dealer today even with those clear taillights. :cry:

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Hi, I saw that website too and some of what is mentioned there is pure hogwash. Case in point is:

-------------
    Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFTTM that incorporates an advanced multi-plate transfer clutch centre differential for smooth and sure-footed acceleration.
    ----------------

There is nothing called a "multi-plate transfer clutch centre differential". In fact, there is NO CENTER DIFFERENTIAL in the non-VTD Automatics. If they can make such blunders, I wonder if the 60/40 is also something that somebody pulled out of thin air, without any input from their engineering group.

Going through the mechanical aspect, why would a center diff lacking AWD system, be constantly driving with 40% of the power being transferred through the clutch plates to the rear ? Why be wearing out the clutch plates needlessly ? I think this is pure nonsense too. It might become a 60/40 under certain conditions (which is probably what the writer at the website spun to arrive at the 60/40), when more power needs to be transferred to the rear but I would wager that this is a 90/10 "default" system (simply because there is no center diff), with the little dribble of power going to the rear in the "default" mode, purely intended to prime the transfer mechanism to speed up the power transfer process, when it actually transfers power rearward.

I believe the Acura SH-AWD system drives with something like 60/40 as the default but the significant difference here is that it HAS A center differential. Thus there is nothing wearing out, when driving around with the 60/40, since the split is pre-decided by the setting of the center diff....big difference from the Center Diff lacking non-VTD EAT system.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    1st Gen ATs had a 90/10 up til about the mid-90s. Then they switched to an 80/20. Mind you this is only the initial values for the split. As soon as you apply throttle input the torque is shifted toward the rear etc. The advantage of the system is it can do 80/20 to 20/80 if need be.

Having HPDEd my 92 SVX which had 80/20 with a mechanical rear LSD and Road Raced my 96 Impreza L which had the 80/20 also, I can say that the torque split did not effect the handling significantly enough to make a difference, even in race conditions.

-mike
    Going by what the new "WRX" has turned out to be, I would go back to Bob's suggestion to re-name this product as the Impreza S-GT or so.

And then, bring out a credible, slightly hard-core version, essentially a toned down model that can reside comfortably between this "WRX" and the upcoming STI, and name that model as the "WRX". Hopefully such a model will spank cheaper FWD whipper-snappers like the MS3 and not have to blush and pretend to look the other way, when an MS3 pulls beside it. The "WRX" brand-name, especially an 08 introduction, truly deserves this measure to be taken. They should not hesitate to offer such a model, a 280HP/280Torque engine with a firm but compliant suspension, tuned to out-handle anything else within its price-range. The STI obviously will come with a 330HP/350Torque engine and many other bells/whistles that would be exclusive to that model and thus would make zero compromises from its max-performance mission.

The people looking for "refinement" can spring for the soft S-GT and the ones on the lookout for a factory-tuned high-performance model can then spring for the WRX, without the big expense or other ultra-hardcore compromises of a full-bore STI.
    I saw new WRX today. There are three strikes against it:

1. Exterior styling. We already said enough - I will add that sports mesh grille makes WORLD of a difference. The rear of hatchback looks as bad as in pictures. Looks were never as important to me, so as long as that terrible Sebring grille can be changed, I could live with the rest.

2. Interior styling. It is better than previous but hardly stylish. Low trims of Mazda3, not to mention Speed3 look way better. Again - not something as important to me, as long as functionality is there. The cargo compartment is done so there is about the same floor area as in my wagon, but the hatch slope cuts the volume down. Which basically means day-to-day groceries would be just fine, but anything larger would require seat down position. I'm actually OK with that, too.
    3. Strike three. Now brace yourselves. THIS THING HAS FOUR STAR NHTSA CRASH RATING !!! :surprise: :mad: :cry: :sick: To be exact - driver front and both side are four star and passenger is five star. THIS IS STEP BACKWARDS. ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE, UNFORGIVABLE. I see "marginal" coming from IIHS - almost for sure.

There is no way in hell I'm buying a "Legend reborn" with crash rating lower than my current car. I'm crossing it out of my list.

So - this is how you get the weight down, huh? Skimp a few bars in the chassis - perhaps the mainstream customer won't notice. When I pointed that to the saleswoman, she was stunned as much as I was. Safety across the lineup was their single most important selling point. She admitted it will be much harder to sell now - with higher price and crappy gas mileage, so-so styling and lost leadership in safety, what is left? Just speed and handling. Not enough for three-five grand more, if you ask me.

I'm shocked I'm first to pick up on that on this forum. Bob - did you read the sticker at all?

The previous generation (GD/GG) WRX did *not* have a five star rating because its front seats were not equipped with active front head restraints. The MY2006+ Imprezas that got five star ratings were of the 2.5i trim.
    Bob - did you read the sticker at all?

Read the first link, then the second one.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19096147&postcount=51

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19098090&postcount=53

Bottom line: The '08 Impreza hasn't been crash tested yet.

Bob
    Loran, you're correct about the non-WRX getting better ratings due to the different headrests. The WRX has the headrest as an integral part of the seat, no so for the 2.5i and Outback Sport, which were rated higher.

Bob
    Bottom line: The '08 Impreza hasn't been crash tested yet.

Wait the minute - so where are the NHTSA stars on the '08 sticker coming from? And they were the same on both WRX and 2.5i, by the way (I checked that). Am I missing something here? If so - I guess I owe them (Subaru) apology or at least - delay in the final sentence :blush:

I think these test results were lifted from the previous generation, which in my opinion, is invalid, since the structure has changed.

Also, you have to distinguish between the NHTSA and IIHS crash tests. The tests from both these agencies are supposed to complement each other.

Essentially, the NHTSA tests are designed to check the effectiveness of the restraints and the airbags, while the much more challenging IIHS offset tests are designed to test the strength of the vehicle's structure to withstand extreme crash energies.

So one has to combine the results from both tests to arrive at how effective the vehicle's safety package is.

Then there are the 5mph bumper tests that the IIHS does, which has zero bearing on safety and is essentially done to gauge how much it would cost to replace a bumper (big issue for the insurance companies, which is why they do it. ;) ) Typically the Kias and the Hyundais do well here, while the BMWs and the Mercedes Benzes do badly - since it would obviously cost more to replace a Beemer's bumper than a Kia's bumper !
    New models are introduced all the time without having been crash tested by the government. As to why those old ratings are on the sticker? I have no idea, as I'm not that familiar with the government regulations, and how they're "supposed" to be reported. I can only assume that what Subaru is doing is correct as interpreted by the letter of the law.

Bob
    I know well the difference between IIHS and NHTSA tests. It's not only speed, size and points of impact of crash vehicles, but also types of injuries they look at. I'm also familiar with the engineering and mechanics of those tests - my grad school research was related to that. It was admittedly a few years ago now, but I think I still have good understanding of the crashworthiness engineering principles.

My point is exactly - almost everybody but the lowest end makes five stars in NHTSA front and side impacts (rollovers are a little harder - most get four and three stars). It is usually the case that if you can't make five stars with NHTSA, you'll usually end up getting marginal with IIHS, with few exceptions. I think it is for side impact even more so than front.

Which makes me think now - I was convinced previous Impreza had five stars since they had all "Goods" in IIHS. If those stars are indeed old '07 not '08 (I'm still not convinced it really is the case, but perhaps it is), how come - things don't really add up for me now. :confuse:

I guess all is now for me to do is wait until the dust clears.

By the way - that sales woman told me Subaru is preparing some (in her words) big public awareness campaign for the new model, involving designating some dealerships for open test drives. She may be of course full of it and made up a lame excuse just not to let me drive the new WRX, but perhaps it's true. Lets see what happens on that front.

Which makes me think now - I was convinced previous Impreza had five stars since they had all "Goods" in IIHS. If those stars are indeed old '07 not '08 (I'm still not convinced it really is the case, but perhaps it is), how come - things don't really add up for me now.

The reason why the "Good" rating came about in the IIHS tests, is because the structure of the Impreza is sound and the ring reinforcements in the structure really works in dissipating crash energies and also in its stiffness.

The reason for the non-5-star results, specifically for the WRX, is because of the Integrated-non-active-head-restraint equipped WRX "sport seats", which makes them susceptible to whiplash. The regular Imprezas (and I believe the WRX TR) has "active" head restraints, without the stupid integrated head-rests....other than the stylistic statement from those head-rests, I don't find anything "sporty" in the broad WRX seats with bad/poor bolstering.

The 02 WRX seats are an exception and had very good bolstering (every time I drive with my friend who owns an 02, I envy those seats) AND came with active head restraints (non-integrated). Those seats should have been on the 04-07 WRX too, IMO.
    The 02 WRX seats are an exception and had very good bolstering (every time I drive with my friend who owns an 02, I envy those seats) AND came with active head restraints (non-integrated). Those seats should have been on the 04-07 WRX too, IMO.

I like my 2004 WRX sport bucket seats with the integrated headrests thank you very much. :D
This discussion has been closed.