Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• spagballspagball Posts: 20
    I don't mean to sound like a shlub, but I see some market for the AT WRX. I mean look at the Audi A3 quattro. Granted it's a bit more expensive (but not much), I believe that model does well. Living in a bigger city, I would consider an AT WRX. The caveat here would be if they figured out a 6 speed - from what I've seen I'm not sure you can do turbo with CVT. I'm surprised with the poor sales on the AT WRX. Probably partly to do with the previous models and their image. Also, that in the recent past turbos and AT hadn't played nice.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Posts: 340
    Why not a turbo with a CVT? I would imagine that with the appropriate sensors, a CVT just might be the ideal match for a turbo.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    Why not a turbo with a CVT? I would imagine that with the appropriate sensors, a CVT just might be the ideal match for a turbo.

There have been torque rating limitations in the past, but the latest units in Nissan vehicles (made by JATCO who also supplies Subaru with auto trans guts) are quite capable.
  • wrc555stiwrc555sti Posts: 12
    Legacy GT comes with a 5-speed manumatic tranny. It's not pure raw performance-oriented like the MY2007 and earlier WRX. It's more like the fusion of civilized STi performance coupled with Honda Accord utility.
    http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?year=2008&model=LEGACY&trim=25GTLI- MITED&command=features

Most who test drive the Legacy GT compare it to a high performance European sports sedan. (With much better reliability of course. :-)
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    If Subaru made a Legacy GT wagon, without leather seats, it would be on my list, MT or AT. But, they don't even have a GT wagon anymore, nevermind the seats.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    We've had the go around a couple times about certain models being dropped to the complaints of some. In almost all cases the reason was that the vehicle was not selling. Some have pointed out that we can't complain if we didn't buy one. But sometimes as in this case there are strange twists courtesy of Subaru which may be to blame. In the case of the Legacy GT it had been a consideration for us at the start of our last go-around, but we really wanted a wagon. For reasons known only to Subaru corporate, the stability and traction control are both deleted from the wagon although standard on the sedan A5. That immediately took it off our list.
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I'm surprised with the poor sales on the AT WRX.

I am not surprised at all. Subaru deliberately crippled the AT version, with a 4-speed AT, when even $13K Honda Fits have been appearing for several years with a 5-speed AT.

On top of that, from the 2008 model year, they quietly removed the VTD Differentials (Center differential with planetary gears that split power 45/55 front/rear) of the AT, and slipped in the cheaper front-wheel biased AWD system of the lower-end Automatic Imprezas. In the new AWD system, you can make the 2008 AT WRX a full-time Front-wheel-drive vehicle, by pulling a simple fuse. The 2007 and prior years, you could not, since it had a real Center Differential.

I am not surprised that the AT Imprezas don't sell that well. The 2002-2005 model years were crippled with a 2.0L rubber-band engine (along with the 4AT), which the 2006-2007 model years solved with a 2.5L DOHC Turbo Boxer (but still with the 4AT).

Put in a 5-speed Transmission, with paddle shifters and the Rear-wheel-biased VTD AWD system from the pre-2008 years, and see the AT version fly off the lots. This is after all, the US market.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    In the new AWD system, you can make the 2008 AT WRX a full-time Front-wheel-drive vehicle, by pulling a simple fuse.

For the mainstream market, the ability to avoid a flat bed tow could well be more important than VTD rear wheel bias. Not all areas have many flat bed tow trucks readily available.

Of course my 3.0R has VTD. :)
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Really? Around here I rarely see the traditional Cooter Style Tow Truck at all. Heck I haven't seen one in years. Except for the NYC Parking Authority who uses that style to tow you when you park illegally.

-mike
    It appears as though Subaru is going to have to do a major overhaul on the WRX if it wants to be competitive. The Mitsubishi even comes with front and rear LSD. I sure hope Subaru gets their act together, and soon.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,726
    There will be WRX upgrades for 2009. I've been told that they dramatically improve the performance.

Bob
    Good news, but what are they?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    HMM, my guess is a DSG of some sort, which would make me very very sad.
    I don't know all the details, but what I do know I've been asked not to repeat. Let's just say most WRX fans will welcome the changes. ;)

Bob
    If not what, then when?
    Probably by the end of August, or shortly thereafter.

Bob
    Thanks, I''l be looking out for the improvements.
    I could be wrong, but, I don't think a diesel would be enough to sway enthusiasts to choose a WRX over a Ralliart. As for the DSG, if Subaru decides to venture that way, I'd be much more excited about a CVT.
    A WRX diesel has been rumored—but you won't see it next year.

Bob
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Yeah, just can't see the WRX being the first platform for a diesel. Forester or Leg are a much safer bet.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Its been a long time since I have visited the forums. Good to see some of the same folk around. Been working like a crazy person for the last few years.

I am toying with the idea of finally unloading my 1999 Isuzu Trooper, and picking up the WRX, STI, Hatchback. Everything I read says it is dated. Waiting and getting a new 2009 sounds nice, but new model years always have problems.

I love the trooper, but it is going to need a few thousand + the next year and I am just not sure it is worth it. I had originally planned to drive it until the wheels fell off. Now...at 9-10 mpg around town, I am starting to shop.

Any opinions on getting the current year vs. waiting?
    Wait for the '09 WRX, as there are worthwhile improvements in store. Don't know anything about the '09 STI yet, but I expect at least a few upgrades. Hoping for a moonroof option for both models.

Bob
    What are they changing on the 09 WRX?
    Changes have been made to make it sportier from what I've been told. I do know some (not all) specifics, but have been asked to keep it quite. Most customers should be happy I think.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Shoot me an e-mail about your Trooper. Might be interested in something for offroading. I sold my old one to my dad. :)

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Mitsu is in serious trouble. Lancer is one of the few compacts whose sales are actually down.

Did you know the Impreza+Forester by themselves outsell all of Mitsubishi? Cars and Trucks?

Any improvements Subaru makes will only stretch that advantage.
    I did not know that. I wonder if it might be in Subaru's best interest to hope the Lancer/Ralliart. and EVO models thrive, in much the same way as Mustang vs. Camaro seemed to escalate the hype?
    When will we get the 2009 details?
    Probably later next month.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.