Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Best price and availablity will be at Carr. I've always found them easy to deal with. Watch the Oregonian weekend ads and pick up one of their sale cars. Dick Hannah in Vancouver is pretty aggressive with weekend sales prices too. If you have a specific option package you can deal with the internet department and get a pretty good deal.
  • Wash. has sales tax, Oregon does not, so I won't be buying in Washington.

Yes, Carr does has a lot of inventory, but feels old-school as do nearly all the Dealers in Beaverton.
    Lithia of Oregon City has a much nicer sales policy and fewer complaints on record.

Anyway, wrt the Impreza:
    any suggestions how I can get more comfortable seats (I make occasional long trips) ?
    The ones it now has only tilt up from the rear (old VW design), and the black interior color is not particularly appealing.
    Should I consider a Recardo or something?
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Are you an Oregon resident? Oregon residents don't pay sales tax in Washington.

Walking in off the street at any dealer is an unpleasant experience. I've found the same sales experience at all the Subaru dealers in the Portland area. As long as you deal with the internet guy or have a weekend ad price you get a pretty good sales experience.

I've seen a lot of the new Impreza's around. I'm really starting to like the look.
  • I drove both the A3 in 2.0T 6sp manual and WRX wagon today, and I think I'm leaning more towards the A3. The WRX had more power and a smoother throttle response with less turbo lag but the A3 just had a way better suspension and could really carve the corners much better. Too bad Audi only offers quattro on the 3.2 V6 and you can't even get it with a manual tranny. Are the any aftermarket suspension tuning kits out or announced for the new WRX or will the old ones fit? This new model really needs a sport tuned suspension option.

also, +1 on the seats not being all that comfy. I really need something with more lumbar support as there was absolutely none. I can deal with the black cloth, I just need to get more tint put on the windows. Other than the lumbar, they felt OK.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    Too bad Audi only offers quattro on the 3.2 V6 and you can't even get it with a manual tranny

But the A4 2.0T manual trans is available with quattro...at not too different a pricefrom the A3 That said,if you are going to keep the Audi beyond its 4 year everything-covered warranty it could turn out to be expensive to own. As an X owner of many Audis and VWs, I know too well.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    But the A4 2.0T manual trans is available with quattro

It's not really the Audi Quattro system (Torsen). It's a Haldex system, FWD based. Although very responsive, I believe Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is more sophisticated, and will probably react quicker.
  • Yes I am Oregon resident...was not aware of the tax issue.

Subaru dealer told me the WRX seats and black interior are built for "sport", not trip comfort. Uh Huh... :surprise: I almost asked back "Just how short are trips supposed to be in the WRX - a lap around the track?" :confuse:

Still looking 'em over...
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    It's not really the Audi Quattro system (Torsen). It's a Haldex system, FWD based. Although very responsive

If it is Haldex, there is one notable advantage: No flatbed tow is required unlike Torsen and most Subaru models. And yes I had a flatbed tow on a Torsen-equipped VW W8.

The latest Haldex versions that engage rear drive proactively are not bad.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A3 prices are kind of steep, though, what about a GTI or MazdaSpeed3 if you don't need AWD?
  • Yea, a new, 08, A3 is difficult to get under 30. I was looking at getting an 07 since the dealer is willing to go below invoice on it. So far though, I haven't been able to find one with the options that I want/ don't want.

A4 2.0T quattro starts around 35, so probably won't happen without the Audi Premier Plan (conventional financing with a balloon payment at the end). And they've really softened the A4, way more so than Subaru did to the WRX.

I think the Audi price point just isn't as good as the WRX and the seats and suspension can be fixed/adjusted.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Most vehicles are flat bedded today. Very rare, at least in my neck of the woods, to see a tow behind tow truck.

The latest Haldex versions that engage rear drive proactively are not bad

Never said they weren't. They are actually quite good. Personally, I find it a bit deceiving when Audi placed the "quattro" badge on a Haldex equipped vehicle, when in fact their Torsen equipped vehicles are what made Audi receive praise for the "quattro" name.

I would assume it is just a advertising or marketing ploy to use "quattro" on everything with AWD.
  • in case I missed anything (workstation is slamming through tests today):

how can the '08 Impreza seats be improved?
  • Audi beyond its 4 year everything-covered warranty it could turn out to be expensive to own.

As of 2007 the 4 year included maintenance is gone on Audis. Only BMW still offers this with new cars.
  • It's $590 now instead of included. Not bad, but slightly annoying....

After more research on the A3, I'm back to leaning away from it. Reliability is hit or miss, it's overall more expensive, and only one '07 in Texas equipped the way I would like...
  • We have an 06 A3. It's been great but we bought it used 10 months ago from a nice yuppie couple who babied it. I would not buy one if you want anything approaching a performance vehicle. My wife loves hers but i'd go nuts driving it daily. It's way too soft for me.
  • I could be wrong, but, I thought A3 Quattros were Haldex and A4 Quattros were Torsen. IMHO, the Torsen appears to be a superior system.
  • A3 3.2 is Haldex and Haldex is FWD-biased junk. It's also used in the Mazdaspeed6.

Ford/Volvo use Haldex systems in their cars too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    As of 2007 the 4 year included maintenance is gone on Audis. Only BMW still offers this with new cars.

They are offering it on 08 Tribecas up here in the Great White North. Nothing south of the 49th?
  • Subaru as a company doesn't offer "free" maintenance for 4 yr/50k miles like BMW still does and Audi/MB used to.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    how can the '08 Impreza seats be improved?

You can purchase some aftermarket seats. Probably fairly in-expensive too. Try Recaro, Sparco there are probably others out there as well.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.