Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    For summer onlys I would go with the ES100s from Yokohama or better than that the Faulken Azenis RT615 Sports from vulcantire.com

I just have a great disdain for the continentials and goodyears across the board (except the Goodyear MTR offroad tires) as they all get hard and plasticy after a few thousand miles. The ES100s and the Azenis do not last more than a season but at about $100 a pop they are cheap to replace.

As for Tirerack comments from owners? I dislike them because most of the "ratings" are from folks who just got rid of their OEM tires after 60,000 miles, so pretty much whatever tire they put on is going to be better than the stockers with 60,000 miles on them!

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    205mm is narrow but it's not a lot different from the current tire. 10mm is not that much - just 0.4", and that section width, not even at the tread.
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Posts: 340
    Paisan brings up a good point about users burning 60,000 miles then changing. I also wonder if some purchases need to publicly congratulate themselves on their recent purchases? What do you guys think is the best all season tire for winter use on the WRX?
  • stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    Paisan brings up a good point about users burning 60,000 miles then changing. I also wonder if some purchases need to publicly congratulate themselves on their recent purchases? What do you guys think is the best all season tire for winter use on the WRX?

Well I really want a Max performance tire if I get a WRX. All seasons are good if they are snow rated in the winter but not going to do it for me in the summer. I forget what tires i bought for my 2002 WRX but they gripped like glue. I only put about 300 miles on the stock OEM tires before i sold them so it's not that.
    Most OEM tires get very greasy when hot or worse they chunk and have poor grip. Edmunds last test with the 2006 Sport Car comparison the all seasons probably cost the WRX the top spot.
    If I buy a minivan I'll use all seasons in the summer. A WRX needs grippy tires. Just my opinion.
  • Hey guys, I the floor manager at Kearny Mesa Subaru in San Diego. We just got Road&Track in the store today with 3 of the test cars getting a tire change. I think they were changing the stock tires out for something with a little more grip. Anyways, they had a blue hatch, silver sedan no spoiler, and silver sedan w/navi and spoiler. I tell you the one without the spoiler looked very awkward. The one with navi and spoiler looked spectacular, and the hatch looked pretty good too. I liked the back end of the hatch better than I liked the sedan. Anyways, still no hard time on the actual units hitting the ground. We still haven't gotten any allocation requests with them included, so it could be another month or two. :cry: I'm looking to get a small 4 door sports car myself, and i think the hatch w/navi just might be what i am after. :shades:
    Hey guys, I the floor manager at Kearny Mesa Subaru in San Diego. We just got Road&Track in the store today with 3 of the test cars getting a tire change. I think they were changing the stock tires out for something with a little more grip.

Any chance you can find out what size they took off and what size they put on 205 or 215 or 225 that sort of thing?
    Because I know they had to have the sizes that were put on it. Also any idea what brand of tire they swapped into? I know most OEM tires suck. That's why I ditch mine as soon as the order from Tire rack comes in.
    Thanks
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I think the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is very highly rated and has performance comparable to Max perf.summer tires and has also relatively highly rated winter performance. Pretty pricey though.

Other alternatives are the Bridgestone Potenza 960AS Pole Position, which is also pretty highly rated.

A third option is the Yokohama Avid S4, which is also an Ultra high perf A/S tires like the above options.

I personally prefer UHPAS tires for their sheer versatility with a slight loss in performance in the summer months, when compared to Max perf Summer only tires.
    I personally prefer UHPAS tires for their sheer versatility with a slight loss in performance in the summer months, when compared to Max perf Summer only tires.

Yeah that's great if you don't get any rain. I have to deal with some heavy rain in the summer months. A lot of people complain the Ultra Highs aren't all that great in rain. I hope they are wrong but tread wear is also much lower which is understandable. I think 15K+ miles is acceptable but would prefer 20K miles per set. On AWD they probably wear more evenly. So far the Conti's and the Pirelli's seem to be way up in performance. I had the Pilots on my Miata and they were ok but not great. They had a tendency to get greasy when you drove them real hard.
    Yeah that's great if you don't get any rain. I have to deal with some heavy rain in the summer months. A lot of people complain the Ultra Highs aren't all that great in rain.

It is a serious mis-conception that the High-performance summer tires don't perform as well in the rain. In anything other than snowy conditions (rain or shine), Max.Perf, HP, UHP and UHPAS tires perform/handle better than any other non-high perf tire. Their tread-patterns and tire compounds are extremely optimised to outhandle/outperform non-high-performing tires to seriously resist hydroplaning and to channel the water away efficiently.

The problem with the Max Perf tires in the snow is that the compounds that make up the tire (thus enabling their prodigious grip in non-snowy-icy conditions), will harden as the temperature dips and thus they will lose all their grip in snowy/icy conditions (since they become iron hard as the temperature dips below zero).

Due to this reason, UHPAS tires have multiple compounds in their tread. Compounds that remain pliable in the snow are intermingled with the Summer High performance chemical compounds in multiple striations/rows, thus enabling them to retain ability to perform reasonably well in light snow (since the striations containing the compounds that enable them to remain pliable in the snow, will remain soft and retain their grip even when the temp dips) along with "Summer" high-performance in non-snowy conditions (due to the high-grip compounds in the non-snow striations). Obviously their tread pattern is not optimised (like snow tires) to dig into deep snow and hence they are not recommended for deep snow....and due to their very nature are a bit of a compromise in both summer/rainy conditions and also in snow/ice.

The pricier UHPAS tires, especially the newer ones like the Bridgestone 960AS or the Michelin Pilot Sport AS or the Yokohama Advan S4 are definitely something that I would consider using all the year around, since they give up very little in grip/performance when compared to their Max Perf counterparts in non-snowy conditions and are able to retain their grip in light snowy conditions, reasonably well.

Also, all of the above UHPAS tires have treadwear rating 400 and above. In a previous car I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, which had a significant amount of tread even at 40,000 miles when I sold the car. For comparison, the Bridgestone RE92 that comes with the WRX, has less than half their treadwear rating at 160.
    The problem with the Max Perf tires in the snow is that the compounds that make up the tire (thus enabling their prodigious grip in non-snowy-icy conditions), will harden as the temperature dips and thus they will lose all their grip in snowy/icy conditions (since they become iron hard as the temperature dips below zero).

Yes this is good that they can handle the rain and possibly some snow but for me I run a winter tire or similar in the winter. The Nokian WR looks very good all things considered so for summer, I want the UHPAS or Max Perf tires not all seasons. Those with a snow rating will go on in mid October depending on outside temps.
    Snow performance on a UHPAS or Max Per is irrelevant to me as that tire will only see snow if it looks out the window of the garage where I store it. :)
    I like a high tread wear rating 400AA would be good.
    Your post was very informative and it helped my wife understand some things. Thanks
    Th e question is what about the tires i mentioned the Continentals and the Pirellis for Summer tires, any idea?
    Thanks again
  • easleseasles Posts: 7
    Last fall, I replaced my stock RE92s on a 2003 Legacy SE. Had about 25k on the stock tires, went with Bridgestone RE960s (Pole Position) and have been very pleased. Much quieter, straight line tracking is improved and turn in response is more immediate. I have not tested ultimate grip, but they seem to hang in there" very well - more confident with these tires installed. I've been a big fan on Bridgestone ever since I had a set of RE930s on my mid-90's VW Golf. I am very happy with my purchase.

Thanks
    Last fall, I replaced my stock RE92s on a 2003 Legacy SE. Had about 25k on the stock tires, went with Bridgestone RE960s (Pole Position) and have been very pleased.

That's great, I know the RE92's are horrible tires as I've had them on other cars but not for long. I can't say enough Bad things about the OEM RE92's.
    The RE960's (just looked them up are performance all-season tires with a 400 AA A rating which is good. I usually look up reviews where the guy doing the review had then for 20K+ miles or more. 500 miles is not enough time to know the tire.
    Most of the reviews based on mileage are good. The only problem is the are an H rated tire. The WRX pretty much needs to be shod with Z rated rubber in the summer, of course it depends on how you drive. For me the thrill of an open on/off ramp and the back roads with lots of bends and hills makes the Max Performance summer tires a great choice for Summer. I've never read a bad review on the Nokian WR's so I'll probably run with those late Oct until early April. The Nokian Hakka RSi is supposed to be very similar to the Hakka Q's I had on my Miata and those tires gripped like glue on snow and ice but totally sucked on plain wet roads near the end of the season and wore out pretty quickly driving on the fairly dry roads we had most of the time.
    Just curious as to what part of the country you are in? I'll be up in New Hampshire and fairly high up but not fully in the mountains.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. The ABSOLUTE BEST all season tires I've driven on for year round use in the NY/NJ/Upstate NY area would have to be the Sumitommo HTR+ I had them on my Legacy and my SVX and have had several customers also buy them for their WRX and they all agree with my suggestion. They are also $60-70 on tire rack, how can you beat that??? They grip in the deepest of snow yet also handle the dry quite well.

-mike
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. The ABSOLUTE BEST all season tires I've driven on for year round use in the NY/NJ/Upstate NY area would have to be the Sumitommo HTR+ I had them on my Legacy and my SVX and have had several customers also buy them for their WRX and they all agree with my suggestion. They are also $60-70 on tire rack, how can you beat that??? They grip in the deepest of snow yet also handle the dry quite well.

Not to argue with you but the Sumitommo HTR+ tires don't seem to get a lot of good reviews on Tire Rack. I'm not going to cut and paste anything but that was why I took them off my list. The people who rated the tired rated it poorly with a poor tread wear rating.
    Sumitommo has a tread wear rating of either 360 AA A or 400 AA A.
    No idea if they are good but I always read the reviews and they don't seem to be rated highly by people who bought them.
    Of course I've read bad reviews on almost every tire so I try and average it out. Some tires are clearly better on some cars than others.
    I had the Sumitomo HTR+ on an earlier car and I liked them. A bit noisy but handled well. Those tires were built in Japan and were extremely low priced but were UHPAS rated. I never tried them out in the snow, however, since I sold the wheels (with tires on them) less than a year or so after purchase.

The ride with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which replaced the Sumitomos, was harsh in comparison, due to the extremely stiff sidewalls of the Michelins.
    Treadwear wasn't great on them, but lasted me 2 years and about 30-40k miles. That's more than enough for a $65 tire! You can read all the reviews you want, I've used several sets, suggested them to several customers, and they have all came back singing their praises.

:)

-mike
    Treadwear wasn't great on them, but lasted me 2 years and about 30-40k miles. That's more than enough for a $65 tire! You can read all the reviews you want, I've used several sets, suggested them to several customers, and they have all came back singing their praises.

i'm not trying to slag on you or your opinions just stating that I base a lot on the Tire Rack owner reviews. I'm sure for $68 a pop they are a good tire. I want a great tire for the summer and a snow or all season tire for the winter. I have to go up and down steep hills and it's not plowed all that well. My Miata with Hakka Q's did great on it but I saw a lot of SUV's struggling to get up the steep hills and then have to make a corner. I'd just blow by them. I *think* the WRX show with Nokian WR's for the snow might be a good compromise tire but I know that the snow on those roads which you HAVE to use to get into town are treacherous until they are plowed, sanded and salted and then dry. Great fun in the summer if the cops aren't around.
    I guess no one really buys expensive max Performance tires for the WRX. Probably they go with performance all season tires.
    I'm thinking I'll try out the Continentals and see how they work. supposedly they are the best and not a bad review on them but $172 a piece OUCH! Still I might go with a performance all season. Tires add up when you drive 20K+ a year. I don't want to buy tires every 6 months.
    I'm wondering if it will be fully made in Japan or if it will be made somewhere else? Has anyone heard?
    Thanks
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
  • estrekaestreka Posts: 28
    Wasn't Subaru going to use a Toyota plant in Indiana for the Impreza? or was it the Legacy?
    I just heard that the new 08 WRX has dropped the rear LSD that came on all of the WRXs before this. Obviously none of the non-WRX Imprezas of this generation (pre-08), came with an LSD. Hopefully they did not do that to bring the weight of the car down. ;-)

Maybe the VDC might interfere with the function of the LSD ? If so, then why does the Legacy GT Spec B come with VDC and the LSD ?

I personally would prefer an LSD to any stability system, if it is an either/or kind of deal.

Also, even though the legroom increased in the new Impreza hatch/wagon, the rear cargo area of the wagon has supposedly reduced by around 9 cu.ft. So they borrowed from the rear cargo area to provide that additional legroom, I guess.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    Yes, but that was before Subaru hooked up with Toyota. Instead of building Imprezas (which was the original plan) in the Subaru Indiana plant, they're now building Camrys.

Bob
    My response was for the person asking about a good all-season tire, the Sumi HTR+ is the best all-season tire, IMO. As for Tirerack reviews? Haaaaaaa They are hillarious to read, quite funny and humorous but not very accurite at al from my experience.

By the way drove home in a pretty heavy rain tonight in the 240sx with the Yoko ES100s and they handled great! They are another low-cost summer only peformance tire.

-mike
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Also, even though the legroom increased in the new Impreza hatch/wagon, the rear cargo area of the wagon has supposedly reduced by around 9 cu.ft. So they borrowed from the rear cargo area to provide that additional legroom, I guess.

All that matters is whether or not that 9 foot drop can still accomodate a 60# Husky/Blue heeler cross.
    I had tried to protect myself by trading the WRX in on a minivan or Ford Freestyle, but now I'm waiting to see what 08 has to offer for the Ford and that means that the Siren call of a hatchback STi might draw me onto the rocks.
    I just heard that the new 08 WRX has dropped the rear LSD that came on all of the WRXs before this. Obviously none of the non-WRX Imprezas of this generation (pre-08), came with an LSD. Hopefully they did not do that to bring the weight of the car down.

That would possibly be a deal breaker for me. I want a LSD on my crs I've had them without and you can forget your performance as far as i'm concerned. The more I hear about the new WRX the more inclined I am to look at other cars and I don't want a $35K STI. I don't car for stability control as much as a LSD. But I will wait to see the specs on the actual car in the showroom but no LSD and I just might spend a bit more and get into a more luxury minded car. The WRX was a great car but the bean counters are going to kill it. :mad:
    No cargo to speak of and smaller 2 pot brakes down from 4. It's got me worried. I priced out a BMW 328i wagon. $35K roughly and a bit more if you add AWD. But it's a whole lot of car. I hope the rumors about the Subaru's are incorrect but once it's announced officially then we will know but damn! They really want to make the STI look very pumped up. I had a LSD in my Miata for crying out loud!
    The front brakes are actually larger than the current 4-pot front brakes on the WRX. Even though they are 2-pot the rotors are siginificantly larger and thus the performance is at least a wash, if not better from the reports I've heard.

As for LSD, very few cars these days are coming with traditional LSDs. None of the AMGs even come with an LSD in them FYI.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Gunma, Japan, to be specific.

And yes, VDC essentially manages traction on both axles electronically. It's not quite the same, but it should work well on snow, especially since there was only an LSD on the rear axle (where there is less weight).

You may miss it, but in reality the front axle needs it more than the rear. Accelerating out of a sharp turn the inside tire on the front axle is the one that slips.
    And yes, VDC essentially manages traction on both axles electronically. It's not quite the same, but it should work well on snow, especially since there was only an LSD on the rear axle (where there is less weight).
    You may miss it, but in reality the front axle needs it more than the rear. Accelerating out of a sharp turn the inside tire on the front axle is the one that slips.

Well I will miss the LSD I hope it's an option. I was pretty set on the WRX even with the ugly nose on it. I figured I could live with that but everything is just rumors and speculation until you can go into a dealer plunk down your hard earned and buy it.
    My wife wants me to buy a Honda Fit and wait on the diesel WRX. She figures it's no big deal to drive the Fit and she really likes it as the MINI isn't available anywhere near our area and you can haul a lot of stuff with the Fit.
    Throw in awesome sports seats and the Fit might be ok but at 75-80mph on the highway it's going to rev way up and get crap economy as it's a city car.
    I really want a LSD but the STI will probably have that for what $7K more? My wife has never driven in snow and wants a WRX as it has great AWD. But now they cheapen the car and of course an aftermarket LSD is going to really cost $$$ and void the warranty.
    The WRX not having a LSD really sucks. I don't trust traction control I want mechanical things doing it not a computer braking for me. Most likely no switch to shut it off either. It's almost enough to make me buy an EVO! too bad their reliability rivals VW for awfulness and the dealers in my area are the worst I have ever had the misfortune to deal with of any brand.
    I think Subaru is losing the plot. I just hope the LSD remains.
    Oh you want the LSD for snow traction? In that case the VDC will walk all over an LSD car. I have the same VDC system in my Armada and let me tell you, it's un-believeable in the snow and ice. Heck when we were on a 48hrs drive a few years ago, the only cars that kept up with the Armada in the snowy mountain roads were the STi.

I thought you wanted the rear LSD for HPDEs and/or auto-x. A traditional LSD really is only beneficial over the VDC for those such activities. In snow and street driving a VDC will simply walk all over an LSD car.

I guess you are also looking for a car without ABS, and certainly no power windows!

Also the VDC does come with a switch to turn it off, only the very first year of the VDC did not have an on/off button.

-mike
    Oh you want the LSD for snow traction? In that case the VDC will walk all over an LSD car. I have the same VDC system in my Armada and let me tell you, it's un-believeable in the snow and ice. Heck when we were on a 48hrs drive a few years ago, the only cars that kept up with the Armada in the snowy mountain roads were the STI.
    I thought you wanted the rear LSD for HPDEs and/or auto-x. A traditional LSD really is only beneficial over the VDC for those such activities. In snow and street driving a VDC will simply walk all over an LSD car.

Someone else said that the VDC was great in the snow I autocross my cars usually with the SCCA and the lack of a LSD is going to put the new WRX at a serious disadvantage
    I also drive in snow and anything New England throws at me and I do NOT have the option of staying home during bad weather and unplowed roads. My employer there does not want to hear how I cannot do my job due to the weather. When I go back I will have to deal with that all over again. Auto-X is on my own time.
    My real gripe is gonna be can I fit the sticky tires in a WRX to take to events. The old wagon you could.. i'll probably run in STS or STR depending on the rules, which change every year. my wife wants to Auto-X as well. It will suck for a 2008 to get blasted by an older model because LSD makes a big difference.
    I haven't used VDC but I'm used to driving lots of cars in the snow with no ABS and no traction control. I've driven a lot of behemoths in years past and those were on belted tires up crappy roads and all kinds of insane stuff. Back when I was young and stupid.
    Remember when a LSD was called Posi? Sure it was a bit different than today but similar. Remember 3 spd manuals on the column and push button automatics?. I think some early autos were 2 spd's but my memory fails me. Gas was 50 cents a gallon back then. I had an 800HP Chevy Vega for drag racing fully built and blown 350. Reality was it was probably 600HP but never dyno'd it. Had a chute in the back. Rear tires as wide as a new Smartfortwo car!
    So performance is important to me but I don't drive like a wild man even at Auto-X it's slow in fast out. driving on winding twisty roads is great tho. when there are no cops or other cars. You can't go too fast or you'll hit animals crossing the roads especially at night. But I like stock cars I don't want to mod the reliability out of the car.
    I HATE ABS but pulling the fuse causes grief at the dealership so I leave it in. Power windows feh, in a 4 door I'll take the trade off. If I dropped a few kilos maybe it would matter but going up against a 60 kilo 20 year old he's got a weight advantage over me that I'd need to drive with no wheels to compensate for. :blush:
    Be great if the WRX had a delete ABS option tho.
    Thankfully the traction control can be turned off.
    How solid is the info about no LSD?
This discussion has been closed.