Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    This is common with both the Escape and the Tribute. Don't forget however that brake wear is based upon how a person drives the vehicle. Don't go to the dealership! they will put on the same garbage and for 2x the price. Call around get quotes. I have heard Raybestos puts out a great quality, low dust pad along with rotors and for less$$ than a dealership. Ask a Midas or Meinke or Pep Boys shop for a quote...
  • i purchased the v6 FWD with option package 1 and the homelink mirror. it also came with foglights, side boards and the rear bumper step. i paid $24k out the door. i think the figure was close to $22k before tax, license, etc. shop around and get the best price you can. then take it to your dealer. that's what i did and they gladly matched it. i don't drive very much at all (under 5000 miles/yr) so i don't expect to get good gas mileage. being that i've only gone about 500 miles total i can't really estimate. i think i got around 300 miles on my first tank. i'm still working on the second.

if anyone has an answer to my previous question about the trip odometer, please let me know. it's driving me batty!
  • lanceflancef Posts: 8
    Zmarie, we purchased the V6 and are getting the advertised MPG of 20 city/25 highway. Love the V-6 power.

Ours was a 2005 Mazda Tribute S FWD with the following: package 2, side air curtains, side step tubes, cargo net. Price: $21,600 before TTL which includes the $2000 rebate.
  • zmariezmarie Posts: 6
    Thanks to all that have responded to my questions. Keep it coming! It is really helpful to be equipped with this info when you head to the dealer. From what I see I'm thinking I should give no more than $22,000 for V6 FWD with option 1 and side curtain air bags. We do get our share of snow here, but I think that the FWD will get around just fine.
    Again, thanks to all that have taken the time to respond to my questions. The information that you have supplied will greatly assist us in our effort to get the most bang for our buck in our negotiations with the dealer.
  • jchandrajchandra Posts: 12
    Just picked up my 2005 Mazda Tribute V6 FWD last friday. Overall the quality seems to have increased over my 2001 Tribute. The ride is much smoother and quieter. Love the sunroof and the 200 watts 7 speaker system.
    I want to get rear mud flaps; but the dealer told me that there are none available for the 2005's in the Beige colour.
    Does anyone know if this is true. I live in the GTA Toronto area.
    Any comments welcome.
    he meant right now no mud guards are available. It may take 6 months for parts/accessories to catch up to the 05 line-up. Keep searching the internet for OEM parts you can get great deals. Also, most dealerships will match internet prices if you prove to them it is OEM. They will add on any shipping charges also....
  • My 2002 Tribute is around the 34k miles and today I went for the regular maintenance and inspection. They found the brake pads to be 20% and they are going to change them. But the dealer told me that besides changing pads, they have to change the brake discs too because the brake system of the tributes when replacing brake pads need also to chage discs everytime. Its the first time I have ever heard this. I think is "BS" can anyone advice me on this?
    Stop!@!@ don't go to a dealership for brake jobs! They charge you $100's of dollars more than a Midas or Firestone...
    Yes, it is true that both the pads and rotors on
    Escapes/Tribs need to be changed. The factory ones are not the greatest. However, you can get aftermarket pads and rotors installed for much lower than at a dealership. The dealership will put on the cheap factory stuff so you will have to do this again in 35K miles..
    Shop around.. Hope its not too late...
  • I recently purchased 2005 Tribute that was used as a demo model, it only has about 5500 miles. It came with a 6 cd changer. The other day the speakers stopped working. I don't get any sound when trying to use the CD or the radio. It can scan for and find radio channels and the CD works fine but just no sound. I tried checking the fuses, they all looked OK. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Does anybody know what are the current rebates on '05 Tribute? Edmunds doesn't show anything but the $500 current college grad, OTH carsdirect shows this "Special Pricing Hurry-Offer expires" link with no specific details; their price is about $1,400 below invoice.
    This should be covered by warranty ... I'd let the dealer worry about it (and take advantage of Mazda guaranteed alternate transportation while the're working on it!)
    I canot remember what the button sequence is on the radio. Look in your owners manual for the CD/Radio and you will find a sequence of buttons to push to test speakers..
  • Looks like the $2000 rebate expired for the 05 Tributes; (mazdausa.com). It appears that the Ford Escapes still have the $1500 rebates going.
    Interesting...
    I'm just trying to understand how one would explain carsdirect.com "Special Pricing Hurry-Offer expires" $1,500 offer below INVOICE ?
    Side note: when I bought my Mazda Millenia S in July 2000, Edmunds was NOT showing $4,000 rebate in effect at that time.
    What do you think, lancef?
  • Thanks for the suggestion but I could not seem to locate the page in my manual that you mentioned. Can you help me out? I would appreciate it.

I have made an appointment at my dealer here in NJ but I have to wait 3 weeks in order to get a loner car. (Which I think is ridiculous and they conveniently forgot to mention when I was purchasing the vehicle).
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    I got my 02 Tribute at East Coast Mazda, in Hasbrouk Heights. They use rentals as loaner cars, so there is no wait. Where did you buy your Tribute?
  • I bought my Tribute at Grecco Mazda in Denville. The next nearest Mazda is in Wayne which is about a 45 minute drive in the opposite direction of where I need to travel.
  • Don't know! That's why I checked the current rebates on the Mazda USA site. Sometimes Edmunds lags a little on the current rebate offers.
  • I am kind of disappointed that they dropped the 4 wheel lock button. My 02 Tribute has this feature and I have only used it once when I didn't want to slide sideways since I was parked on ice on a slant and didn't want to hit the other vehicle. The lock isn't required for snowy roads etc. It's for getting unstuck or pulling another vehicle out of a snow bank. It locks all wheels so that they all turn at the same rate, and this can't be done on corners with traction. If you're not on dry sand, solid ice, etc. then it causes problems when you turn your wheels. I guess too many drivers were using this feature and thought their vehicle was skipping and bumping for no good reason, when it's really because they shouldn't have locked the wheels, since this prevents you from turning on dry on non-super-slick surfaces. It's too bad that drivers didn't understand this feature so it had to be dropped.
  • It got dropped in favour of a new faster system ,not becasue people couldn't work the old system.You won't even feel the new system enagage its so fast/smooth. I can't get my wheels to spin no matter what surface on my 05.

Tried grass, wet pavement, gravel, looking forward to snow.
  • tony3tony3 Posts: 1
    Im thinking of getting a mazda tribute 05. I think its a great car, and am probably going to go with pkg 2. I never use the moonroof and think that the leather is more worth the money. I think aftermarket side steps and other is much more reasonable in price and quality then the dealers. I also feel that it handles much better then the 05 escape. Does anybody disagree about anything?
    an 01 Escape XLT V6 4WD and an 04 Tribute V6 ES 4WD. This weekend we took a trip in the Tribute over the Cascade range into Central Oregon. We have made this trip multiple times with both vehicles. Yes, you are correct. The Tribute does have a more "sporty" feel. Also feels more agile and yet has a more of a firm road feel than the Escape. The Trib is also quieter on the road than the Escape. The 05 is even more of an improvement over the 04.. You are make a great choice. Getting the 2.3 or 3.0? If you don't tow or haul the 2.3 in 4WD form will do you just fine... However, if you like power... go V6.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,771
    I'm currently renting an '05 Escape XLT with AWD and the V6. How does the AWD system in these trucks work? Does it wait for the front wheels to slip, and then transfer power to the rear wheels? I think it has a decent highway ride, resepectable power, and a nice turning radius for an SUV. How different is the Escape from the Tribute? Does it have nicer interior plastics? If I were ever in the market for a small SUV, I'd look at the Tribute, not the FORD. My wife has an '00 Protege ES and we really like how well the car is screwed together. Everything is subjective as far as power, ride, braking, and handling go because I'm coming from a Prelude Type SH.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    Took home an '05 Tribute today. Exactly what I wanted, and I think I will be very pleased. 4 cylinder (vast improvement over last year's Ford engine), 5 speed, AWD. It has the earlier door panels, so not as much storage there as the newest ones. Got a full size spare, but had to ask them to swap. Check under all Tributes and Escapes. It is not an option, but some leave the factory with it. I do miss not having alot of hidden storage, but the cargo shield keeps out prying eyes. For the money, the Mazda is certainly a better choice than the Escape.
  • sweswe Posts: 8
    I have a 05 Tribute and the odometer works the same as yours. Actually my wifes Dodge Caravan is also the same, so I guess thats the way its suppose to work.
  • I've begun to hear rumours about the next Mazda Tribute. Even though the '05 Tribute was significantly updated, there is brand new model on the way for either '06 or '07.

And when I say brand new, I mean brand new. Tributes will no longer be built in North America. The next model will be built in Japan and will be highly differentiated from the Escape. It sounds like the Tribute might go upscale in the same way that the Mazda3 did and became a bit of a segment buster.

I find it interesting that there has been almost no buzz about the next generation Tribute. Maybe Mazda is just doing a good job of keeping a lid on this news.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Back in Aug. I posted that the 2008 Tribute (2007 release) is scheduled to be built on the Mazda6 Platform and get a full redesign. It will be larger than the current Tribute but not as big as an Explorer....I have not seen any drawings or pictures. I will post any details as I get them.
  • Thanks. I'm very interested in this new model. Should be quite a handler on the Mazda6 platform.
    I bet there will be a difference between the Tribute/Escape. Look at the 3 vs the Focus.. Ford is starting to use alot of its subsidearies platforms and engines in thier car line-ups. I do know there is going to be a new Escape for 06/07 model year. a new 3.5 V6 will be used. I have seen as much as 235HP for this engine. The 3.5 will also be used in other car lines for Ford/Mazda. Ford is doing the right thing by letting Mazda go its own way.