Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• I am the unhappy owner of an 02 Tribute that has a built in lemonade stand. It has been to the dealer 5 times with stalling, rattles from everywhere, non-working equipment, vibrating ds mirror, 2 broken driver side fog lights, suspension clunking, popping, uneven tire wear and various problems I won't bore you with and my dealer nor Mazda Corp will do anything about any of them. This is a piece of garbage.

I now have a burnt oil smell coming from my engine bay after a few miles of driving. It's not b/c of an oil change either. It never goes away. Fluids are ok, although the brake fluid cap is heavily stained with fluid.

Any advice?

My advice is to AVOID this by buying elsewhere. I will never buy another Mazda product.

Ray
  • You better not buy a Ford either because that's who designed it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    pretty much who built it too, right?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    mazda can go rather far to satisfy customers...I would like to hear the other side of this story
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Thanks. I resemble that remark :D

Meade
    I'd expect that kind of response from you!

But the problems listed sound like assembly problems, not something allegedly caused by the dealership. I don't think there IS another side to this story, other than, "Well sir, apparently your car came off the line late on Friday afternoon!"

I had similar experiences with a Mazda truck built by Ford; mine was a 1994 B2300 pickup. I won't go into details since I already feel the breath of maltb blowing down my neck. He's a Mazda employee too, so we have to keep that in mind when we dare criticize their rock-solid quality.

Ford seems to be having a lot of trouble with quality control lately. Case in point:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/13/a01-611243.htm

Mazda fans, please note (it's in my profile) that I'm one too. I'm on my third Protege since 1992, and it's been trouble-free for 48,800 miles (probably since it was built by Mazda in Japan with no Ford input). And we purchased my wife a new Protege5 last year. It seems to be only the Mazdas that Ford's gotten its greasy paws into that are problematic. Too bad for Mazda.

mdaffron states..."I'd expect that kind of response from you!"

What kind of ignorant comment is that?? just because I am interested in BOTH sides of a story you make a comment like that? I guess in the real world your only interested in hearing one side to make up your mind on a topic. I didnt say the guy lied, I didnt say he was wrong, I didnt say the dealer or mazda was right. just wanted to hear both sides.
    ...maybe you think we should always believe one side of a story 100% and just ignore the other side because you say so.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's play nice. Try to avoid reading too much into a less than optimal choice of words - it's a shortcoming of the medium.

tidester, host
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I assure you there is another side to his story
    "We should be able to build a car as well as anybody. But we have had problems. The workers here know deep down we can do better."

- A Ford Engineering Supervisor, quoted from the article I posted earlier today
  • Has reliability improved on the 03s? Seems to be a good vehicle except for the numerous problems.

Just bought a Mazda Millenia S and I love it but it built was in Japan and isn't a clone of the Escape.
  • Oh the nerve of some people. The other side of the story is that you need to ask Mazda. I have documents to prove everything I stated. Certainly I don't have to prove it to protectors of such a company. And I say that b/c if they wanted to do what was ethical they would contact me and make this whole dilemma right, but as I said.

I have purchased Mazda products several times in the past and have been very pleased. I have a 1992 Miata that I hope to keep until I can physically no longer drive it.

Ray
  • ryan41ryan41 Posts: 21
    Have a 02 Lx Tribute love the car, rides nice, 20Mpg, and looks really nice, but I have the same wind noise as everybody else, also engine seems a bit loud, like a valve or tick noise, only after it has been running for a while. Could it also be the fuel injectors? It has about 4,000 miles on it, does not burn or leak any oil, or is just the way this durateck v-6 sounds?
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    just hope it's not the service dept. pulling a fast 1 on you. One of the local Dodge dealers around the area I live got busted for fraud. Everytime people were bringing vehicles in for service.. within a couple of hours / day after work was done... in the same area work was done something else ended up breaking or needing service, whether it was on warrenty or not.
    My advice is try going to a different service dept.

Odie
    Mazda has just announced 0% financing for 60 months on the 2003 Tribute in the Northeast zone. Not sure about other regions.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    There is a bulletin on fluid leaking at brake master from the cap. As far as rattles and other issues, WELCOME TO TRIBUTE WORLD. Have you replaced the DPFE sensor yet? You will. Have you been unable to open one or more of the front doors from inside or out? It will happen. Mazda waits 10 years to put out a decent suv and they go and use a ford product. Oh well.....job security for me........
  • I received a letter from Mazda on Thursday stating that everything had been done to correct any problems. The vehicle is now operating to Mazda standards, guess they didn't realize that it was built to Ford standards. I would just like to know how someone in California knows that. My dealership doesn't even have a clue what a Tribute is, denial maybe?

The letter was filled with misinformation which tells me it was just a put-off. Steve Duran is the consumer complaint person and he will NOT call you back or answer you directly.

I was under the impression that Mazda would attempt a final repair like it says in their owner's manual. That was not offered to me at any time. I have contacted the BBB and will go on to an attorney if they cannot help me.

Buyer Beware!
    Ray
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Sorry to hear you are having such problems. You are not alone, but you are not the majority either. Look at Edmund's long term Trib -- theirs was driven hard with very few minor problems.

Our '01 LX now has 27K on it. No problems in past 15K. It did have 1 stall, had some sensor replaced, had a creaky tailgate. Our Mazda dealer fixed em all cheerfull, the 1st time. I had fewer problems with my 85 Protege, all 5 Honda Civics my family has owned, and my new Hyundai Elantra. Still we like it for its looks, practical size & comfort relative to its perfomance.

Is it a perfect rig? N)! Are the all horrible? NO!

If I were to buy another mini-ute, I would look real hard at the new Honda CRV and Subbie Forester (almost bought one in 01, but liked Trib better, but now believe we could have done fine with the smaller Subbie).
  • I have test drvied the kia sorento,(seats to small and hard)but great otherwise xlnt warrenty and the nissan murano. Love the murano but a little pricey.I want a v6 or something with some gusto since I live in a hilly area. Help, Any suggestions on a crossover that gives enough power and wont fall apart. I have a 99ody van and want to trade in due to so much talk on trannys. But I love otherwise.
  • djp2104djp2104 Posts: 11
    Hi - I'm ready to purchase an 03 ES-V6 4WD. Sticker with all the bells and whistles and destination charges is just under $28K. Want to pay no more than $26K with 0% financing for 60 months. How does that price sound?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks