Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• jkarlssonjkarlsson Posts: 1
    This is in response the Tribute owner with the high pitched squeak. I have a similar problem, but it is a "whistle" and folding back the left side rear view mirror eliminates it. Also recommend you leave both roof rack crossbars at rearmost location to reduce noise. My 3-year lease on my 2001 Tribute is almost up. Overall I've been happy. I'm looking for something a little bigger, maybe Highlander or Pilot, but might also purchase mine.
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    Could a Trib owner tell me if Mazda uses the same instrument panel lighting as the Esacpe, which I guess is a mostly green display?
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 780
    Yup, ugly green and you can't change them without major hassles.
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Posts: 27
    Curious to how much of the Mazda Tribute is really a Ford Escape (Explorer?).

Just how intertwined are these two vehicles when it comes to their parts?

Thanks
    Chimpy
  • dg13dg13 Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I'm new here, so forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered. On my 03 Tribute ES, I don't have the brushed rings around my speedometer and tach. Was there a design change during the model year somewhere? Also, I noticed that with the power doors locked, you can still open the inside front handles (I've never owned a car where you could do this when the doors were locked.) I'm guessing this might be a safety feature for easier exit in an accident? Thanks for your help!
  • bl28bl28 Posts: 1
    I have the 01'ES 4WD tow package ... I was wondering if anyone uses their trib to tow anything. I am considering on using my trib to tow a small tent trailer, and could use some pros and cons from anyone who can give it.
    thanks
    BL
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    pretty much everything mechanical is Ford, except that Mazda tweaked the engine tuning slightly, and made the suspension a bit more sporty.

The other major mechanical difference is that on the V-6 models, the Mazda has a quicker steering rack for more responsive handling.

Most of the cosmetic stuff is Mazda though, which is why they look quite different.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Looking for any info on a DIY aftermarket hitch for a Trib 02 ES. How tough is it to install? Will be making college move-in trips the next 4+ years, and could kick myself for not getting factory installed item. Class 2, less than 3500 lb trailer will be pulled.
  • My 2003 Tribute was parked on the street one night when a guy smashed into it. Needless to say I took my car to the Dealer for the repairs. After the dealer had my car for two weeks the send it to the body shop to get fixed, they went threw 6 different quarter panels until they found the correct one. The first four that were order didn't fit the car, the next one was a ford escape panel and that was to small for my tribute and finally the last one they found in Virginia was the right one for the car. The problem was that the supplier was placing the wrong quarter panels in the right boxes, CAN YOU BELIEVE THESE INCOMPETENT PEOPLE!!! Anyway finally after only having my truck for 5 months and in the shop for 2 1/2 months I finally recieved my car looking and driving great. I hope none of you guys have to go threw the headaches that I had to go threw these past two months. By the way Mazda headquarters didn't seem to care very much for the problem... P.S. I love my truck ;0)
  • I had a 01 tribute with tow package & recently traded in on a 03 ES with tow. I pull an enclosed 2 place snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds in the winter(approx. 2200 pounds) & in the summer my 19" Mariah inboard boat( about 2800 pounds) Never, ever a problem plus i get 18 mpg. Canadaian(15 mpg US) towing the boat at 65 mph.
  • tribstertribster Posts: 20
    TO: bl28

I towed a 1400 pound tent trailer with my 03 Tribute last weekend. I travelled about 500 miles round trip. The mileage was around 18-19 miles per gallon. Tribute was able to tow this trailer along with 4 passengers plus our camping gear etc. I also used the A/C pretty much the whole time. It seems to have good pulling power.

Here are a few things I'ed recommend;(a) Speed up gradually from a stop. (b) Leave more distance between you and the car ahead of you. (c) It takes much longer to stop with a trailer(hard breaking will burn your breaks FAST). (d) If you find that the tribute is shifting out of O/D frequently, turn off the O/D on the shifter. Also, read up on the Owner's manual.

Lastly, make sure the tow hitch is low/high enough so the trailer is parallel to the ground and take a few lessons in reverse parking the triler before you get to the campground.

Happy Camping....
  • They did make a mid-year change in '03 on the Tribby. Your's is a first-half '03 Tribute if you don't have the chrome rings. They supposedly made the seats more comfortable also, but not sure if that's the leather, the cloth, or both. They also took away the rear cargo-cover as a standard in the ES (I think) as well as all of the tribute and ES badging on the tail-gate were removed.
  • is there a major difference btw the years, b/c i have an 01 trib, trying to sell it, will be happy when its gone! Sorry al u trib owners but this is overall the worst car ive ever owned, was excited at first but with each dealr visit the exciteemnt wore off. This car is such a piece esp when u compare it to the other cars in my garage. I think this car has scarred our perception of mazda for a while!
  • I guess the main diff is i went from a dx to a ES.I talked to the mechanic at the mazda dealership. 01 tribs had great engines but big tranny problems. In 02 the trannies were a lot better but ford made a running change to the engine with lighter weaker connecting rods & this caused a lot of em to grenade. He said the 03,s so far have been perfect.I love my ES...so much nicer & refined then my DX, even tho it was fully loaded.I have 12000 miles on my ES so far with only a minor dash squeek which was fixed immediately.
  • clasleyclasley Posts: 16
    Hello all,
    This may sound stupid but I am going to ask anyway. I just recently purchase a '01 ES Tribute. I am very happy with it but one thing puzzles me. I have the optional perimeter alarm but have yet to figure out what makes it go off. I have tried a couple different things but they haven't worked. Does anyone have any suggestions
    breaking the glass?
      :-P

I think that sets it off.

• clasleyclasley Posts: 16
    Hmm thats a valid suggestion nippononly, however, then I will have to buy another one. Any more suggestions that won't cause damage?
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I use to have a perimeter alarm on my '97 Wrangler. If the top was down / off, the alarm would put a bubble over the passenger area. if you walked past the vehicle the alarm would chirp, but if you reached in the alarm would go off. Maybe the trib has somewhat of the same thing, try leaving your windows down set the alarm and reach in and grab something.

hope this helps

Odie
    in my old car you could test the glass breakage sensor, which was actually a specially tuned mic, by tapping your keys against the glass. The alarm would go off, and you would know it was working.

perhaps the Trib is similar?

• and would like to know what existing owners think of their vehicles. Pro's & con's, mpg, defects, etc.

Thanks in advance.