Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Scott,

There is a cancel button, you can either tap the brake, or click on the "OFF" button on the steering wheel :)

My car is a V6 S AWD model as well, and does not have any badges. I wonder if they stopped doing this with the 05's? Two of my neighbors have Tribute's (on 04 and an 03) and they have the badges.. Strange :)
  • j30j30 Posts: 30
    That makes the two of us badgless, any other people out there with an 05 that DOES sport a badge?

As far as the cruise goes, the only way to cancel and not loose your speed setting is to tap the brake, if you click on the "off", and then turn it back on you have to reset the speed. Like I said in the original post, it is a minor nit pick.

Scott

a.k.a.

Violet Gray, ha ha
  • mphxazmphxaz Posts: 27
    Not that I'm aware of. Didn't see any 05's on the lot with anything other than Tribute and Mazda on the back when we pick up our 05' V6 S FWD in early December. Maybe they dropped the extra badges to save a few bucks ... :-)

Marcel
    Scott,

Ah, I see what you are saying.. Maybe they saved a few bucks with both the badges, and the cancel button :)

My only complaints (minor) are:

- Lack of audio controls on the steering wheel. My other car has this, and I am spoiled :) I just think this should be standard now on everything but an entry-level vehicle. I wonder how many accidents are caused each year because somebody looked down to fiddle with the radio...

- Placement of the seat heaters.. Could they have picked a more awkward spot? (For those of you who do not have heated leather seats, the button is on the bottom left hand side of the seat for the driver (opposite side for the passenger). Although I am now used to it, it is still awkward and poorly placed. Most cars have it on the dash or near the shifter.. Also, I do not like the fact that it is on a timer, and you cannot just leave them on.

Like Scott said, these are minor complaints, and for the money and options, you cannot beat the Tribute. The Tribute also has many features that my other, more expensive car, does not have.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    the badges vanished half way thru the 2004 model year on the Tribute. Oddly enough, the MZ3 aquired some additional badging half way into the 2004 model year.
    I have the 6in dash CD radio in my 05 Tribute, does anynbody know who makes this radio and the specs (how many watts per channel)? I looked in the owners manual and did not see this info (unless I missed). Also, is this the same radio that is in the Escape?

Thanks!
  • mike835mike835 Posts: 17
    dc_driver,

Glad that you're a happy camper!

I have some friends that are just as happy with their recent Nissan X-Trail purchases.

Comments like your are really valuable and helpful because it seems that we have similar concerns and we "are coming from the same place ..."

I agree that all makes and models have their problems. When we feel burnt by one we move onto another based on first impressions and our research in hopes of preventing being burnt again.

It is true that you can see other posts of people who are completely disgusted with their older Tributes and any other vehicle for that matter but we hope the manufacturers learn from past problems and the current year is closest to perfection possible.

My parents once had a '67 Dodge Polara, then a Monaco, followed by a Newport Custom which was like driving an arm chair - really nice. Years later my father bought a Dodge 600 convertible. So product loyality has played a part ... but no longer.

Comments like yours and others help the decision making process together with, like you, all the research I can do. Someone should put the fun back in car purchases.

I think my decision was made a few years ago when I saw a Tribute with Quebec plates at a Nova Scotia beach - I really liked the look. Now I just want to make sure that decision is based on more that my first impressions. Thanks - enjoy your Tribute ...tell me this, if you don't mind - will a 4'x8' sheet of plywood fit in the back with the rear door and window closed?

Mike
    Scott,

You and dc_driver are badgeless but happy!! This is good.

I bet the V6 badges can be found on e-bay.

Its strange they would cut out this ornamentation, because it is the little things that help to dress up the final package.

Do I see that you may be considering adopting the Violet Gray handle ??? "LOL"

Drive safely,

Mike
    Hi DC,

On the MazdaUSA.com web site, they say this about the premium radio:

190-watt, 7-speaker premium audio sound system including 2 tweeters & subwoofer

Sorry, no mention about who manufactures it. Not sure if it's the same as what's available on the Escape. The Ford site lists a MACH audio system available as an option on the Escape.
    Thanks for the info. I am not complaining about the radio, I think it sounds better than radios in vehicles that cost considerably more money..
  • got2gogot2go Posts: 6
    I need some help here Steve. I'm looking for a third car which needs to be used for skiing, errands and a 16 year old. Have narrowed it down to three vehicles, used Volvo, 2004 Mazda Tribute with 15,000 miles,so it still has a warranty, or a Ford Escape (understand Tribute and Escape are basically the same car.)

Did read yesterday on forum about quite a few people having some service problems with Tribute so now I'm a bit concerned, before that I was ready to buy the Tribute. Can you help? Thanks
    Dealing on a 04 Tribute and dealer wants $18k for it with about 15k miles on it. Won't budge from the price after a day of waiting. Should I wait and hope he'll budge or go for it? Look somewhere else? Thanks
    Can you be more specific about the model? Is it an ES, LX, etc? Is it AWD, and what other major options does it have (leather, munroof, cd changer, etc)? 18K does not sound bad, but I would definitely use Edmunds used car apprasal tool to determine if you are getting ripped off or not.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    The Escape and Tribute are twins, with some mostly cosmetic differences. Check the TMV prices to see how good the dealer price is - SUV sales are down in general but compact SUVs like the Tribute are doing better than the bigger ones, from what I'm reading.

Here's the TMV link:

Used Car Appraiser

Any more owners care to comment on the suitability of the Trib for Got2go's situation?

Steve, Host
  • j30j30 Posts: 30
    You don't mention the trim level or drive train, but a quick look on carsdirect has a new Tribute S 4x4 @ 20,800 granted with no goodies. If the 04 is an ES with all the goodies, now your carsdirect price is about 23.

I did not test drive the Escape, but I did drive a Mariner(same thing) and it did not handle as well as the Tribute it felt like a looser suspension and also, only the Tribute has 4 wheel disc brakes and a longer warranty...

I have never put a link in here so I don't know if it will work, but right here on Edmunds you can find out if the price is right with the trim level and options:

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/2004/mazda/tribute/index.html?tid- =edmunds.u.tmvmmindex.content.num8.0.mazda*

Good luck.

Scott
    Personally, I would choose the Tribute (although I am somewhat biased!). Used Volvo's will have high maintenance and repair costs and will cost more money up front. The Tribute has a better warranty than the Escape and is usually a little cheaper. The only other vehicle I would look at is a used Subaru Outback..
    No problem DC, didn't think you were complaining. I enjoy the radio also! I read some information regarding after market mods that allow for hook up of an ipod or mp3 players to the Mazda factory system on a Mazda3 site, that apparently can be added to the Tribute premium radio also, but nothing that says who exactly makes the Tribute factory radio.
    The Tribute I was looking at is an LX, cloth seats, CD, air, cruise, V6. They sold the one I wanted while they tried to convince me to take a new one instead, so I lost that one. This other one has 17,800 miles, with same as above. They are willing to give it to me for $20,660. Should I bite? Thanks
    got2go:

That's entirely your call; but my humble suggestions, and observations follow:

They know they have you hooked and it sounds that they are working on you with mind games. If you can hold off and want to play their game, find another dealer and maybe a better deal. One way to be sure of a good price is to be willing to walk away. They are playing tough and now it's you turn to play tough back. It may fail but if it works you will be even happier with your purchase. There are lots of Tributes out there and from these forums it seems that there are some great dealers too.

Nova Scotia is being snowed under right now -- how are the Tributes in the snow?

Good luck ...

Mike
    Mike,

The 4'x8' sheet of plywood will definitely fit, but from what I can tell the back window will need to be opened.