Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• ryukyuryukyu Posts: 12
    Does that mean that they will be producing 4x4 with manual trannys in the 2006 model?
    I was told today that Mazda has discontinued them all together.
    Now let me ask this as well. How effective is the front wheel drive in the snows that we get up here in the northeast? How much better will a 4x4 be for this? Is it really noticeable or is it negligible?
    In other words, what would you prefer?
    I've had other 4x4 vehicles, but never had a FWD vehicle that I've driven in the snow and ice.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    When I began shopping for a Tribute back in November I initially looked at FWD 5 speeds. They were tough enough to find, but there were a couple within a short distance of me. I then decided to attempt to locate one with AWD The local Ford dealer had an Escape AWD with a stick, as did another dealer nearby. But Tributes were like hen's teeth. I did a search on Mazda's site from Florida to New England, and found one in Fairfax, Va. It was the color I wanted, and I ran over there the day after Thanksgiving, and got it. It's not as light on its feet as the FWD was, but I am pleased. The last time I did the search, there were absolutely none around. I just hit 700 miles on it (still need to sell the Honda), and apart from crunching 3rd gear from time to time, it is a nice ride. If that continues, I'll have it looked at. I nearly caved and bought one with an automatic. That would have been my first automatic in over 30 years. Thank goodness I did the search when I did.
    As for cruise, again, Ford gets the nod. You can get cruise with a 5 speed Escape. I asked the Ford dealership about purchasing the components from them, and having them do the installation. I was told the cost would be through the roof.
    I spoke to a local dealer and he told me that there were 2 Tributes available with manual, 4 cyl. and 4WD in the northeast.
    When he placed the call to find out about getting one he was informed that Mazda had bought them back and is discontinuing the production of these. So bottom line is that I can't get one. That leaves me wih having to decide to get an automatic (which probably means V6) or a FWD 4 banger with manual.
    There are several disadvantages from my point of view with the Fords. The warranty is not as good, and the list of standard equipment is not as good. The incentives right now are nowhere near as good.
    Tough decisions.
    Has anybody spent much time with a FWD model in the snow??
    Why is Mazda buying them back? I wonder if there is an issue with the vehicle I should be concerned about. Thus far, mine has been just fine, but again, I have hardly used it. Maybe I have another collector's item to park alongside the other ones I don't drive.....my driveway can't handle any more monuments.

My local dealer may still have a 4 cyl automatic AWD on the lot.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    4 cyl with an auto is a little tough but they can be found....

I have 2006's on order that have been accepted so they arent canceled yet.....but I expect the very limited availability to continue. If you want one you should get your order in by this thursday. This is when this months allocation runs...
    I was looking for the 4 cyl., manual trans, and 4WD. That's what's been discontinued.
    I drove a 4 cyl. auto trans today. I wouldn't really recommend it. It was pretty sluggish compared to the 4 cyl., manual, FWD. The auto with V6 was nice though.
    My issue is that I want a manual transmission so I guess I will have to settle for FWD instead of 4WD.
    The local dealer's guess is that Mazda has had problems with the manuals with 4WD. Makes me wonder about the Escapes with the same setup.
    I think the Mazdas are nicer than the Fords. Better incentives and better value IMHO.
    New question: Does anybody know why Mazda only offers cruise control with auto trannys? Is there any reason that the factory cruise won't work with a manula tranny??
    I contacted Mazda USA yesterday to ask about the 4 cyl / 5 spd / AWD topic being discussed here. I have an interest, since that is what I bought back in November. The guy I was speaking with checked with Product Development, and told me there was no buy back on those models. He did not have any information regarding any issues, and said he would contact me if he learned of any. Naturally I am still looking to investigate further. So if anyone has any concrete documentation regarding this, I would appreciate receiving it. Thus far, I have had no problems with mine, but then, I have not yet turned 700 miles. I did notice that the Denver, CO dealers have loads of 4 cyl automatic AWDs, but no sticks. So there must be something going on.

I will say that the FWD 5 speed was more lively than mine is, but perhaps not by much. I am sure the gas mileage is better with the FWD.
    I called Mazda USA today and did not get an answer, but the guy I talked to said he would look into it and give me a call back.
    I want to find out if maybe the local dealer just doesn't want to be bothered so he can sell something that's already sitting on his lot.
    When I hear back from him, I will let you kno what he says.
    I understand your concern and hope that this is just misinformation.
    I can tell you with 100% certantly that the folks at 1-800 mazda know nothing about product developement or anything else that is going on with the operational side of things....The only things they might know and the only things they can discuss are item's essentially found in a brochure.
    If you hear anything concrete, I'd appreciate that information. Who knows, maybe I have an EBay item here.... I ran it up to 4000 rpm today. I'll go for redline when it hits 1000 miles. It's averaging about 22 mpg. I guess that's not so bad, but I had hoped for a bit more. I would imagine the FWD would improve upon that by about 3 mpg. What I continue to find interesting is that the vehicle does not gain speed at all, and even slows a tad, while coasting down the "mountain" in neutral on the interstate. Keeping it in fifth gear in that situation is like applying the brakes. Aerodynamics plays a role with that I am sure, but I am wondering if the AWD system has lots of frictional component drag. As I am beginning to drive it in my normal style ( read: treat it like a fun car ), I am finding it is in fact a fun SUV.
    Do you have access to any information that you can share??
    I can confirm that mazda corp grabbed a couple of the few remaining manual trans tributes from dealers in the northeast region. I don't have any idea why.. We have not had any specific problems with the vehicle or the ford version that would call for something drastic like buying unsold vehicles...My guess is they needed them for something very specific that isnt related to mechanical problems with the vehicle. If it was mechanical the word would be all over like a bad rash.
    Does anybody know if the factory stereo in the 2005 Tribute have an auxiliary jack in the back? Or perhaps a CD changer port?
    I'm talking about the regular one with the four speakers.
    I would like to be able to hook up an iPod, and I'm trying to find the best way to do this, but it's not easy finding info on the factory stereo, particularly since I don't own a Tribute yet.
    Thanks for any info you can supply.
    By the way, the guy from Mazda USA called back and basically said they had no knowledge of the buy backs and could not find out anything either. I think it was BS because when I originally called he claimed that they had a program where they could look within a radius that I defined from where I live and check stock on a vehicle that I was looking for. When I asked about this after the call back, he said that he couldn't do that.
    I think audia8q is right though that if there was a problem, it would be out by now. I never got an answer about whether a 4 cyl, manual, 4WD version would be available as a 2006 model.
    As I put more miles on my "rare" Tribute, the 4 cyl, 5 speed 4WD, I am liking it more and more. While there is not a lot of reserve power, it will run 80 mph up the slight mountains between Frederick and Hagerstown, MD with no sweat. Just don't ask it to then accelerate to that speed from 60 mph in the middle of the climb. Gas mileage with about a 60/40 city / highway split is on the order of 23 mpg. I am looking for that to improve.
    Right now my biggest gripe of all things is the unbelievable amount of static shock I receive when getting out of the vehicle. It snaps and hurts like heck. Must be the tire compound I guess. I need to remember the procedure for getting out of a vehicle prone to that.
    The other complaint is the brake dust on the front wheels. Even though it is under warranty, I will probably switch to a ceramic pad.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    I can remember way back when....you could purchase an anti-static strap that attached to the underside of the vehicle and (I guess) grounded the car against same.They might still sell same (Pep Boys, AutoZone)????
    I was thinking about those as well this weekend. Shades of JC Whitney
  • lothar23lothar23 Posts: 2
    After much searching, I found my FWD, Manual, 4 Cyl '05 Tribute. I wanted something roomy that would handle well in in the snow (and some minor off-roading) and would get good gas mileage. So far, I am only disappointed in the gas mileage (after 10K mi, I consistently get 24mi/gal, and that's probably 75/25 hwy/city). Best I've seen is 27, and that was all Hwy. Don't know what's going on there.

Handles great in the snow, though. A little too well, it's hard to play around.

I had cruise installed for about $300 through the dealer. A little steep, but I factored it into the negotiation at sale time.

Overall great ride, but I would love to know where the 29 mpg hwy is.
    I just picked up my new Trib tonight as well. Same setup as you.
    Just curious about the cruise. Is it a factory Mazda one, or is it an aftermarket cruise? I would really like to have the steering wheel controls instead of another stalk.
    It really is a very nice vehicle.
    Do the newest Tributes have the rear storage compartment Ford began installing on Escapes around December? I have not been by a dealer to check.

I rarely use cruise, but if I could get the "factory" setup for $300, I would.

I did finally install the bug deflector I bought for mine last year. Wouldn't it be nice if that increased gas mileage...... very doubtful. Based on my results to date, I doubt I'll ever see 30 mpg out of it, at least not in my local terrain. Next install is the casette deck I have laying around as well.

The vehicle is certainly more fun to drive now that I am nearly past my standard break-in of 1000 miles. I'll go for redline this weekend.
    I'm not sure what rear storage compartment you mean, but mine has the compartment where the jack is stored and a sort of pocket on each side with elastic netting .

I called to ask if anybody knew if the factory cruise would work with a manual model. They said they didn't know, but that I should talk to someone in parts. The guys in parts had no clue. They said tat they guessed not because Mazda didn't offer it as a factory option. When I asked what they thought would keep it from working, they said they didn't know. Anybody know of any good reason why an aftermarket one would work, but not the factory one??