Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    Thanks for your reply. That's a really good deal for both! Are you referring to the 4x4 v6 with that discount? Thanks again! :)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    Even though it's a Mazda chat, I suppose we can talk about the Pontiac Solstice some too. :)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ramzey28ramzey28 Posts: 130
    That would be for any type of model/option vehicle on the Ford or Tribute. Should not matter what 4wd or 2 wd, or engine type. Hope that helps. The guy that wrote he got 7500 off got an awesome deal, I have seen anything close to that.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I would watch the ads in your city for your local Mazda dealer. Or get an Idea of what the moel level you want is going for by looking around on the internet at pricing. I own both a Tribute and an Escape. The Tribute has more of a sporty feel to it, the Escape more of a truck like feel. My Escape is an 01 and hers is an 04. The Trib is quieter and feels more solid. Improvements have been made its very obvious.. Good luck in your search. :D
  • socomfiresocomfire Posts: 5
    The Tow package on the Tribute, is it just the hitch and wiring? Or do they have a transmission raditor? If they do, can they add after I bought it, can I take it back to the dealer and get that package added?

Thanks
  • va_guyva_guy Posts: 12
    I test drove a 2005 5-speed manual Tribute 4-cylinder FWD last week and was pleasantly surprised by the power/torque with this setup (I was considering a 5-speed 4-cylinder as this would be primarily used for commuting 80 miles/day). The one thing that concerned me was that the brakes felt very "weak" when stopping the vehicle, as if the brake pads where not making good contact and the vehicle would not "stop on a dime" even though I was using a lot of force on the pedal. I don't know if this could be because this was the only 4-cylinder 5-speed on the lot and it appeared that it had not been driven in a while. I know the 6-cylinders have disc brakes on all 4 wheels but the 4-cylinders have disc brakes on the front and drums on the back, but I still thought the brakes would respond better. Does anyone have any insight on this, should the braking be that much different between the "s" and "i" versions?

Also, does anybody out there know if the 4-cylinder engine use a timing chain versus a timing belt?

Thanks for any/all responses!
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Posts: 130
    I have a 2005 Tribute I 4wd 4 cyc and the brakes seem fine. Could be just that one you test drove or by sitting awhile it didnt grab like it should. The v6 might stop better due to all disc brakes (not sure why they didnt put it on the 4cyc, not a huge cost difference) but drums on the back have always been reliable. I only have 700 miles on mine and I like the 4cyc, yes it down shifts more than the v6 but the cost difference and the gas savings, I thought it was worth it. Im getting 22 around town. Should go up once I get more miles on the car.
  • mikezakmikezak Posts: 95
    Well I did it -- after much deliberation and research -- brought an '05 Tribute 'i', w/PK1, and 1 yr free Sirius Radio. Got it for $18K.

But here is a question for the group. I have always changed my own oil (use Mobil 1), and have in my last 2 vehicles purchased the handyFumoto Oil Change Valve. The two sites on the Web that sells the valve conflict on what size (model #) to use with the 2.3L DOHC engine; one says F106, the other F107 -- very cryptic to find out as it also references other engines and model years as well.

Has any 05 Tribute owners with the 2.3L (or Ford Escape w/2.3L) used the Fumoto valve? If so, what size did you use?????....and did you need the adapter???

Thanks.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    The 2.3L Mazda four cylinder uses a silent timing chain....no belt changes needed.

I have a 4 cyl, AWD 5 speed, and its braking seems pretty good, though I do intend to replace the front pads with an aftermarket ceramic pad to lessen dust build-up.

Now, one thing I noticed is that in my case, the parking brake handle must be pulled up to its full travel in order to hold the vehicle. I wonder if that is normal.
  • I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute with a 3.0L Engine. I'm looking for a Throttle Body Spacer. Does anyone know if one is made for this engine or vehicle?
  • Did you check the child proof locks?
    that may be it

Hope this helps
  • dodgedudedodgedude Posts: 17
    I have a 2005 Tribute i 2wd auto with 10.5K miles on it now. At around 10K, the power and gas mileage started getting really good, and I haven't done anything except 3 oil changes to date. I was averaging 22 mpg and have now hit 24 on the last 3 tanks (same driving habits/roads as always). The 'zoom-zoom' has also increased, definitely feels like there are more ponies than the 153 stated. I'm really liking this! Has anyone else had this experience after a certain mileage?
  • can u tell me wrer i can find the fuel filter
  • vaunie83vaunie83 Posts: 2
    I own an '03 Tribute ES (4x4). Last year while on vacation, the radio wouldn't turn on and once it did turn on, it wouldn't turn off and we had to remove the fuse under the hood. Mazda replaced radio. Well, this year while on vacation, went to start the vehicle (30,000 miles), heard a loud boom, smoke came from under the hood. Lifted hood and saw the the plastic cover over cables and hoses was shattered, all cables and hoses blown off. Had to have car towed 150 miles to nearest dealer. Service manager called the next morning, said the intake manifold was cracked. He said he had never seen this happen before (said it was a fluke thing!). They weren't sure if the backfire caused the manifold to crack or if the manifold was cracked and that caused the backfire. Thank goodness it didn't burn the rental house down!!! Has anyone heard of this happening before?
    Nope, your the first I have heard of this type of failure.....
  • Does anyone know when the mud flaps will be available for the 2005 Tribute? I think it's a little strange that there are none available and they are already pushing the '06's. My dealership thinks it's weird too. They cant believe there arent any. They were given some to stock, but said Mazda told them they didnt work onthe '05s....anyone have any info on this?

Just got mine on Monday, b-day present, and I really like it.
  • cklckl Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2005 Tribute i and went to the dealer to buy a rear cargo cover and they wanted $212.50 for what is a glorified window shade. I couldn't believe it. Does anyone know if the Ford Escape cargo covers will fit the Tribute? For some reason, the Ford cargo covers are cheaper.
    the Web for car parts. Don't buy form the dealer! Mark-up is out of this world! What I do is I find a site that is selling Mazda parts, factory OEM parts. Find the site with the lowest price. Call your Mazda dealer and see if they will honor internet pricing. If not, buy from the internet. All the dealership has asked from me is I bring a print-out of the internet site in so they can see it is an apples to apples comparison. I can't see why a Ford cover would not fit a Mazda vehicle. Make sure the colors will match however...Ebay too is a great resource for parts.
  • sweswe Posts: 8
    Wow, and I thought I paid to much.
    Up here in Canada I got mine for approx US$156.00 at my Mazda dealer. Ford dealers I checked with where more than US$220, so I guess the situation is reversed up here.

There are two grey ones right now on ebay, currently at $51 and $36.
    Good luck
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Posts: 62
    Well, that's what the Escape guys say - I was looking at another board (mostly of the twin brother owners) and that's what they all say. After 7K or some after 10K, the engine finally brakes in and with it comes more pep and better gas mileage...

I just got an 05 i 4WD...