Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pickups Towing Questions

I have a T100 and recently bought a boat while my truck does ok towing on flat road it struggles on inclines is ther anything I can do to make it better without breaking the bank

Comments

• KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    This discussion is for the people who need to drag small countries behind their trucks :)

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• dee18dee18 Posts: 2
    Have been looking at Dodge 3500 4.1 rear wheel ratio, dual wheels, super crew cab, or Ford 350 with tow boss pkg. (4.3 rear wheel ratio), also crew cab. Need to have automatic in either. We have been told the Dodge would be able to handle 18,800 lbs, but the towing information on this vehicle do not support that information (indicates 15,500lbs). The Ford 350 is rated for that 18,000. Want to be sure the vehicle we buy will safely tow the toy hauler.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Dodge is a nice looking truck, but in my opinion the Ford has the better automatic transmission and it doesn't need any supplemental cooling. Have also heard good things about the Tow Boss package.
  • dee18dee18 Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Well, as I look at the manufacturers spec sheet, I can only see a maximum 17,700 pound towing rating for the RAM 3500 (2006) with a Gross Combined Weight Rating of 23,000 lb.

As to transmissions, the 5R110W in the big Fords are most certainly heavy enough, but the 545RFE used in the Dodge is more than adequate for the weight rating. In fact, this is the very same transmission used in the new RAM chassis cab with GCWR at 26,000. And the 545RFE has no equal for reliability. In fact, no aftermarket supplier makes a kit for this transmission so few of them develop a problem.

Regards,
    Dusty
    One clarification...

The Ram 3500 uses the 545RFE only with the Hemi V8. The 2007 Ram 3500 Chassis Cab uses the Aisin AS68RC 6-speed automatic with the new 6.7 liter Cummins, and after January, the 07 pickups with the 6.7L Cummins will use the 68RE 6-speed automatic (which will be based on the 545RFE).

Those maximum GCWRs mentioned are with the Cummins... the Hemi can not tow that much - GCWR with the Hemi is 17,000.

kcram - Pickups Host

Yes, and the RAM chassis cab with the 5.7 Hemi will use the 545RFE.

I do see that the way the February pre-release reads it is not clear that the 23,000 GCVW rating is with the Hemi or the Cummins, but the newer publically issued sheet does state 17,000 for either Hemi.

Thanks for the clarification and correction.

My point is the 545RFE has a record of superior reliability in all of the Dodge applications. A couple of years ago an ATRA newsletter commented that the 545RFE was the benchmark for durability and reliability. The 6R110W is a very robust design and has been a good transmission, but any advantage it may have over the 545RFE is marginal in my opinion. Failures of the Torque Converter Clutch (which causes that pie-shaped one-piece pump to clog and chew its self up) mar an otherwise excellent transmission.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I presently own a 2001 Dodge3500 dually with the 5.9 Cummins and an auto tranny. I also have the 3.55 gears. I am planning on buying a 37ft 5th wheel that weighs 11650 empty and grosses at 13,975. I am completely new to this towing thing and someone says I don't have enough truck. How can this be? I see one ton duallys towing every day. Any help would be appreciated..
    Your drawbacks are the axle ratio and the transmission. The Cummins had a lower rating for automatic-equipped trucks until mid-2003. And it is always rated lower with the taller (lower numericcally) axle. I had a 96 3500 dually with the Cummins/automatic/3.54 and it could not legally tow more than 10K. My 05 3500 dually Cummins/automatic/3.73 can tow 13,500... had I gone with the 4.10, I could tow 15,500.

Your truck may indeed be capable of it, but if you go into a state that requires you to hit the scales, you could be in trouble.

kcram - Pickups Host

• I noticed in the handbook (Finally) that with a 4:10 rear end I could tow up to 12,050. I was also told that if I use the turbo boost equipment by Edge that I would have no trouble hauling the 14k around. The truck also has an additional leaf spring on each rear axle. Also, my brother in law and sister have a fith wheel and have travelled all 48 lower states and have never had to use a weigh station as they are not concerned with recreational vehicles. I am more concerned about being safe than anything. Do you think changing out the rear end would be a wise move????? If this is feasible how would one go about getting the official figures changed.......
  • You can't get the "official figures" changed, even if you did all the mods. You vehicle is defined by it's VIN #, and the label on the inside of the door frame. That's what the law goes by if you ever had an accident while towing.
  • i drive a 06 dodge 3500 whith the six speed transmission and with a cummins. i haul horses for a living and i have a 38 foot 12 horse trailer. the trailer on its own wheighs 10k. loaded around 19k to 23k. and i do just fine with that truck. but i do recommend hydroelectric brakes for your trailer.
  • how is the cargo space on the 06 serria :confuse: ;)
  • stannstann Posts: 9
    I am in the process of installing a 5th wheel hitch through the bed and into the frame of the subject vehicle. I have heard that there is a service bulletin advising dealers that the 'hydroformed' frame of this vehicle CANNOT BE DRILLED, and that a special NO DRILL mounting kit for any 5th wheel hitch is required. I have been unable to obtain any information from my dealer.
    Does anyone have any information on this subject, please?
    Check the Dodge Body Builder's Guide at http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/index.html

From all I have heard, it is accurate that the hydroformed frame cannot be drilled.

kcram - Pickups Host

I'm not sure I see why. If you look at the frame on a 2500 or 3500 there already are factory installed holes in some places. Perhaps holes are permissable in strategic places. I don't know.

The frame on RAM pickups gets its strength from the fully boxed design, and hence the wall thickness is thinner and lighter. I would think that this would lend itself to drilling more so than the C-channel design.

On C-channel frames the prohibition is no drilling on flanges (ever!). Drilled holes must be a certain distance from the top and bottom flanges, as well as a certain distance from other holes, drilled or pre-existing.

I went to the Dodge site and couldn't find any comments regarding drilling.

Regards,
    Dusty
    The various comments I've read about this have to do with fifth-wheel installations more than anything else. Apparently, the location of fifths was in such a place that drilling though the bed and frame at that spot compromised some integrity.

Not surprisingly, the new 3500 Cab/Chassis is a traditional flat C-channel frame.

• i am looking to buy a used 3500 dually to pull my horse trailer 10,000lbs empty 20,000gcwr what year would you recomend?
    Well, although the RAM has been an exceptionally solid truck, I think the newer the better. The 2002-03s had some electrical problems, mostly with poor electrical connections, but some Central Timer Module and Instrument Cluster Assembly failures.

From 2004 on even electrical problems seems to have diminshed considerably.

With that kind of weight you anticipate, I think you're confined to looking at a diesel version. And as most people know, folks really love their Cummins engines.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Has anyone here installed aftermarket gauges, the pod type with a pyro, trans, rear end, boost on a F250 W/ a 7.3? I would like to know what is going on under the hood while towing a heavy load. I dont really want to do a bunch of drilling into parts to install sensors and the like.
This discussion has been closed.