Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• Yep, my experience exactly, and with exactly the same car. It got to 70,000 miles and then started slipping during downshifting between second and third gears.

I had the valve body replaced which solved the problem. It cost me $2000+ but was a LOT cheaper than replacing the transmission to the tune of $6000+. If you decide to keep the car, insist that the dealership look at the valve body. Lots of dealerships are telling unsuspecting Beetle owners that they need a whole new transmission when they don't.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It really is a fun car, but this transmission BS isn't any fun at all.
  • See if the dealer has an exchange policy. What exactly did they do to supposidly fix the problem/ Get a copy of their service record. I have written previous blogs on how to diagnose the problem. Is the dealer a V.W. dealer? if no you are going to have to find a V.W. shop that specializes in bug or have a V.W. dealer fix the problem. Read my previous blogs It may help you.
  • gepetto2gepetto2 Posts: 1
    Wow, all these complaints with the VW Beetle transmission are exactly what is going on with my car. I dread taking my car to the dealer tomorrow. I have a 2006 with 60,000 on it, is the warranty valid to 100,000 miles? I could not get a straight answer from the service dept. I feel like they are going to give me the run around, again. Just like when my windows and brake lights had problems. Did VW honor anyone's transmission warranty? Please advise, thank you.
  • blackdog20blackdog20 Posts: 19
    edited April 2010
    It is good we are all talking about the Transmission failure of the Beetle here but we are all going to get no where until we contact the National Hwy Transportation & Safety Admin. You have to email these folks, then they will email you back and then you file a formal complaint via email. I spoke to an agent of the NHTSA. He told me right now there are only 5 complaints!!! This means we are not following through. He told me if they get even 50 or 100 formal complaints they will get into VW's shi*. This is what we need to do so VW will feel the pain. The NHTSA will investigate these clowns and make them pay. Come on everyone do the right thing. It only takes a few minutes. :lemon:
    Here is the web site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • It is good we are all talking about the Transmission failure of the Beetle here but we are all going to get no where until we contact the National Hwy Transportation & Safety Admin. You have to email these folks, then they will email you back and then you file a formal complaint via email. I spoke to an agent of the NHTSA. He told me right now there are only 5 complaints!!! This means we are not following through. He told me if they get even 50 or 100 formal complaints they will get into VW's shi*. This is what we need to do so VW will feel the pain. The NHTSA will investigate these cloowns and make they pay. Come on everyone do the right thing. It only takes a few minutes.
    Here is the web site:

• It is good we are all talking about the Transmission failure of the Beetle here but we are all going to get no where until we contact the National Hwy Transportation & Safety Admin. You have to email these folks, then they will email you back and then you file a formal complaint via email. I spoke to an agent of the NHTSA. He told me right now there are only 5 complaints!!! This means we are not following through. He told me if they get even 50 or 100 formal complaints they will get into VW's shi*. This is what we need to do so VW will feel the pain. The NHTSA will investigate these cloowns and make they pay. Come on everyone do the right thing. It only takes a few minutes.
    Here is the web site:

Here is the web site:

• sad_bugsad_bug Posts: 3
    Yes I took it to a VW Dealer for a diagnostic and the results showed the problems being one of two things....Either the tranny or the valve body...and the dealer came to the conclusion tht it was the tranny....

But I agree with u, the dealers are just saying u need a whole new tranny just so they can make $$.

My car slips gears when it wants too...so i know the tranny isn't THAT bad...
    it goes back and forth....but I didnt buy my car frm an actual VW dealer so they are rebuilding my tranny at a transmission shop rather than frm VW.

I hope they don't charge me >.< since it hasn't been 30 days.... :confuse:
  • shaunnalshaunnal Posts: 27
    Well for starters I think there is way more then 5 complaints with the NHTSA and you can go onto their website to check it out. I have and it amazes me how VW and the NHTSA try to get away with this crap!! Your right, everyone needs to get busy and do an internet complaint or else stop bitching!!!!! Who has 6000.00 to just throw away????
  • netsternetster Posts: 1
    I don't know if this will help but we were having trouble with the automatic transmission shifting from 2 and 3rd in our 05 VW Beetle convertible. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a valve body needing to be replaced and said it was under warranty for one more month. The valve body was replaced in addition to the filter, gasket and oil for n/c. The first dealership we took the car to wanted $2000 to fix something that might be causing the transmission problem. We paid them $65 for the dx and took the car to a dealership we were comfortable with which fixed the problem.
  • no they did not but I have a different issue. Yours might but the warranty ids 5 years 60000 miles. I recommend pulling a car fax and if you can prove that there has been a pre existing condition it may be covered get it to the dealer right away. don't put another mile on the car and take it in. you just may get lucky
  • thanks for the tip! I've now filed a formal complaint!
  • mz_mayramz_mayra Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just took my car to the local VW dealer today and I made sure I told them I spoke with VW corporate prior to dropping the car off. VW does warrant the powertrain, which includes the transmission. The warranty is 10 years/ 100,000 miles. I have a transmission leak and it is under warranty. Call VW @ 1-800-822-8987 if you have any questions.
  • Maybe in 1999 the VW warranty was better than in 2004. I just looked at my warranty booklet for 2004. It states that the powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles. :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Agreed. Mine is a 2003 convertible, 5 years or 60000. Sigh.
  • speedbump1speedbump1 Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    I'm the owner of a 2002 VW Turbo Beetle. I purchased this car 3 years ago from my sister. At that time it had 38,000 miles. She took meticulous care of the car, having it serviced at the local VW facility as recommended in the owner's manual. I have also done the same taking excellent care of the vehicle. It currently has 54,000 miles. Last week it was serviced at the local VW dealership which included an oil change, tire rotation, fluid check, etc.

Yesterday I drove the car out of town approx. 40 miles. While returning home last night I stopped at a grocery store. As I was leaving the store my car started to make a very weird noise which at first sounded like something was dragging underneath it. I stopped and physically got out to look under the car but saw nothing hanging down. I started to drive away and heard the noise again. I drove the car for 1 mile and stopped at a friends house. I had a friend come out and look under the hood to see if they could see where the noise was coming from. He asked me to put the car in reverse and it would not go in reverse. At that point I knew something was terribly wrong. To make a long story short I called a tow truck and had my car towed home. The next morning I had my car towed to a reputable foreign auto repair shop only to be told later that day that my transmission had gone out. Her words, "Inside the transmission box were pieces that I could hold in my hand." It literally broke into pieces. Now I'm being told that it will cost approx $3,600 to replace the transmission. I was told that they called the local dealership to inquire about similar problems in other VW Beetles. She was told that there was no recall at this time on VW Beetle transmissions.

Something about all of this just doesn't seem right. This car has very low miles and has been well maintained. What would make a transmission disintegrate like this. What do I do????????????
  • cbahalocbahalo Posts: 5
    My 2005 turbo is on it's 2nd transmission and it's acted weird from day 1. Of course whenever I take it into the VW dealer (the only place it's ever been serviced) I get this "we can't duplicate the problem". Then they pretty much blow me off like I'm making it up! I'm at a loss of what to do. Wish I never had bought the damn thing.
  • Basically you are screwed. I would recommend getting a rebuilt transmission from a place like millennium transmissions out of Gilbert A.Z. they range from 2000 to 3000 and can be warrantied for 2-3 years. I would no recommend rebuilding that transmission but you might think about throwing it through the v.W. America corporate window. Ha Ha . They will ship the new one to the repair facility and as long as they are qualified it will have a warranty probably better that the shops if they were to rebuild. The catch is that you have to send the old one to them but I think they pay for the shipping.

On another note transmissions don't usually go out like that. first you should experience shifting problems. I would check the serial number on the transmission to see if it matches because there may have been a switchero. These Transmissions are very expensive and people will go to great lengths to get there car going again. all it takes is about five hours if you are good maybe less. hopefully your car was secure but you never know.
  • call V.W. America and tell them you are pissed and need to take your car to a different V.W. dealer because you are not getting the help you deserve. I have posted previous blogs with contact info. Yours 2nd transmission should be covered under warranty. Don't let them break your balls. You are the customer. Take the service manager out with you for a ride as long as it takes to duplicate the problem. Do not Back down. It is under warranty and they don't want to pay again. A new one is 6000 dollars and they don't want to pay. Be tough and take it back there drop it off and tell them you are not coming back till it is fixed and get the regional rep involved to kick the service managers [non-permissible content removed]!!!! Oh yes he or she has people they have to answer to.
  • What do I match the serial number to? During my last service they had my car for approx. 5 hours. The wierd thing about it was when I picked it up my battery was dead. They tried to tell me I had a bad battery but I didn't go along with that crap. I told them that someone must have left something on. Would they have to disconnect the battery to get to the transmission?