Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• Hello fellow paper weight owners,
    I bought my wife a 2003 VW New Beetle CONV. MAY of 08. I went to a local dealer here in clarksville, tn. Gary Mathews VW. First thing the car had under 60,000 miles and they didn't give us any kind of warranty what so ever. But this was my wife's dream car so i bought it any ways. I am a jack of all trades I work on everything with a motor. Well first thing was had to buy tires the same month I bought the car. 2 A new battery 3months later 3. the little ashtray thing in the back was broken 4. The dealer tried to charge me for a crash sensor that was recalled to be installed 5. the passenger side window regulator on the top was broken causing the cable to break and bind well the window was stuck. Ordered one on Ebay thought maybe I would get a good one well no same problem i used it though cause i needed her window up well it broke too. Now i just ordered a brand new one from a vw dealers warehouse store which MAN they are WAAAAYYYY cheaper than the dealer or anyone else. VW wanted over 275 for it cost there 108 brand new and warrantied. Well needles to say they did a recall for the same problem the beetle is having on the Jetta. But not the Beettle. Now to 6. The Torreck B transmission switch is bad well that is what the dealer from my hometown in ohio said. The car will sometimes bang in to gear and also the car will get stuck in what ever gear it is in sometimes and the little squares will be over ever gear on the dash which indactes transmission malfunction. They said it is due to the trip tronic switch (toreck B switch) I ordered it for 30 from the same company but the dealer will have to install it cause i dont have any way to get trans oil back in it. 7. The water temp light (Blue) will randomly come on at times not all the time but sometimes for a while and will go back off at times, UGHHHH I traded my near paid off car that had no issues for this heap of junk :mad:
  • My only question to u. why did u ever buy the car without a warranty. sorry, but u
    have no one to blame but yourself. Besides it should of been checked out by a
    reputable vw mechanic. Sounds like u got it for low $ and took the chance u could
    repair yourself. Lastly, the dealer must give at least a 7 day warranty or u think
    warranties are for jerks.
  • LOL okay so I bought the car for my very eger wife. And reputable VW mechanic yeah right are you F***ing kidding me this is how good they are. I called to have my transmission flushed and new fluid 400 plus tax. Back in my home of record OHIO 275. WOW why dont you do what I should have done and read reviews on the place that raped me. And no I did not get it for the LOW as you would say i paid 14000 for it if that is low tell me where you work. I am in the Army and unfortunitly I do not just throw 14000 around. And a 7 day warranty what state are you from? I did not have any issues until about a week and a half later. We have two vehicles and I have only put 15000 or so miles on it in 2.5 years. O by the way today the check engine light came on saying the coolant system malfunction. Well anyways I posted to talk about my Junk VW like the others here did. Not to talk about others.
  • LOL okay so I bought the car for my very eger wife. And reputable VW mechanic yeah right are you F***ing kidding me this is how good they are. I called to have my transmission flushed and new fluid 400 plus tax. Back in my home of record OHIO 275. WOW why don't you do what I should have done and read reviews on the place that raped me. And no I did not get it for the LOW as you would say i paid 14000 for it if that is low tell me where you work. I am in the Army and unfortunately I do not just throw 14000 around. And a 7 day warranty what state are you from? I did not have any issues until about a week and a half later. We have two vehicles and I have only put 15000 or so miles on it in 2.5 years. O by the way today the check engine light came on saying the coolant system malfunction. Well anyways I posted to talk about my Junk VW like the others here did. Not to talk about others.
  • About 4 or 5 months ago a person sent out a message about filing a class action suit. I know at one time I sent a note saying I was interested in placing my name on that list, but I have yet to see anything. Has anything started? I have been driving my 2004 vw, with the new transmission, for a couple of months now, and it has been great.....when people stop me and ask I just say "it's cute, but don't ever think of buying a vw"....I want a bumper sticker that says "it may be cute, but ask me about the new transmision"....anyway, good luck to all of you out there....I certainly would like the $4400 check from VW for my repair work!
  • Had the banging into gear problem into the dealership repair over the course of a few years. Sometimes it would go away and then return. They kept putting me off. On one visit after I was told that it was OK I asked to take a test drive with the mechanic. We drove awhile and the dame thing was shifting fine! Then we went around a turn and it slipped and banged so hard that guy smacked his head on the rest. That was it new transmission under warranty…I was lucky. Now I have the electrical problems.
  • :lemon: My advise: get rid of this car! Not to be the bearer of bad news, but trust me, I have had 2 of them. The problems will continue, I also got a new transmission but the problems started a few months later and VW will continue to say there's nothing wrong!
  • I have had the same problem with my 2005nb. the dealer told me it needed a new transmission for the sum of $6900.00. Spoke to anyone who would listen at vw of america. they offered $1000.00 off of a new car.lol!!!

anyway I went to a transmission shop and they changed the valve body on the trans for $2000.00. Still sucks to have to pay anything but it sure beats $6900.00. The dealer says they do not repair only replace. they make it seem like the trans is no good at all when it may only be the valve body. probably causing people to spend $4000.00+ to buy a new trans that may not be needed. what a scam!!! My car is running better than when it was new. makes me think the problem was there all along. Defenitely will not buy another vw since they don't have any product integrity. Hope this helps a little.
  • Thanks for sharing... wow, exactly my experience. Glad you got them to replace the valve body instead of the transmission. $2000 sucks - and you're right - trying to get someone to buy a new transmission when all they need is a valve body is criminal. My car runs MUCH better than it ever did. I agree with you... I wonder if the problem has been there all along. Even my friends have commented about how much better the thing runs. Interesting to hear that we had exactly the same experience with exactly the same car (mine was a 2005 New Beelte, too).
  • Yeah we did the same thing and I thought the same way you did. My triptonic worked well for a while but after a bout a month we began to have the same issues not going into gear or jerking when we shifted. please let us know what you repair and the steps you took. I have thought about starting with the sensors first then valve body if that doesnt work. we have already dropped the pan and had transmission flushed that didnt do [non-permissible content removed]. but we know that there was no metal in the pan or on the magnet so the trannie is good. any soulution would help there are a lot of people that post problems but not many of us here have solutions. I wish your husband the best of luck.
  • so what was the outcome of this case
  • chewichewi Posts: 1
    I too have now become one of those that is having the exact same issue with my Beetle. I like others love my car however have had nothing but issues with it. It too has been in several times since I have it and now the transmission. I have spent over 200 on a transmission fluid change on a transmission that supposedly does not need to be changed. Now I am told that it is the cam (spelling?) within the transmission. I had purchased the after marker warranty being told that it would cover the transmission only to find that it will not cover the whole transmission but just certain parts. I was than told that even just replacing those parts will not take care of the issue at all (the transmission) will still need to be replaced anyway. Why not pay for the whole issue and not just the bandage to cover up the issue of the Transmission. I find it irresponsible from VW not to address this issue it is having with its vehicles. How do they expect to keep customers wanting to buy another VW if the first one constantly broke down? I too am very disappointed in VW America. I expected to see a company as large as they are to stand behind their product and if there is a flaw in their product to fix it and not by charging the consumer for their flaw. I too will never purchase another VW.
  • I'm sorry you have to go through that (like I did) with your VW. Please spread the word so nobody else has to go through this! It is not just Beetle Convertibles either, I know several Jetta owners that have had nothing but issues. My insurance agent's wife had this vehicle and it almost ruined their marriage because his wife was always so stressed and angry over her Beetle convertible! I can sooooo relate!
  • I did not read all the blogs therefore what I post may have already been said, however , I think it's worth repeating. My 05 New Beatle is getting a new transmission. The car only has 40,000 miles. I am lucky it's on VW's dime and not mine. The reason it's hard to detect these transmission problems, is because when the car is cold it runs fine, the jerking starts when the car is warm, this is why I went back and forth with the dealership, if they only drive it one or two miles it may seem fine. Mine was jerking pretty badly and was hesitating as well, they originally said they were going to replace the valve body, instead now they are going to replace the transmission, just a heads up maybe the valve body doesn't repair it correctly in all cases or they would of done that on my car to save themselves money. I know it's too late for some of you, which is pretty despicable for customers to spend that kind of money on something not build correctly to begin with. My message is for everyone who's car is still under warranty to get the transmission checked, the dealership kept telling me that if the idiot light is not on the transmission is fine, this was not true , my light never did come on, mine starting slightly jerking at about 30,000 and continued to get worse and worse. If they have to replace all these defective transmissions maybe they will build it right the next time.
  • I was fortunate enough to have my 2005 convertible vw beetlenew transmission covered by VW America and my local dealership, in spite of having 60,200 miles on it. I reported trouble sporadically for several months before it was finally replaced. Now 10 months into the new transmission, it needs to be replaced again! Very frustrating...anyone know of a class action suit?
  • @cbahalo: Your transmission replacement was covered because the warranty is 65,000 miles. Mine crapped out and left me stranded on the side of a busy freeway in Los Angeles at 66,003. They would not cover any of it since it was 1,003 miles out of warranty.
  • Do yourself a favor and get rid of this car before it is out of warranty. The transmission is only the beginning! I had my trans replaced and a month later started having the same jerking issues again. People on this blog keep asking about a class action suit. I don't know but I would begin with the BBB. That might lead into something? :lemon:
  • My transmission was replaced on my 05 conv vw beetle and I also had issues soon after it was replaced, but of course vw wouldn't admit to any issue. After my vw spent over 100 days in the shop, I finally had enough and got rid of the thing. I contacted a lemon law attorney and they said I would have had a case if I would have called just a little earlier. Don't worry about how many miles you have on it, just submit a request to see if you would be eligible. I wish I would have sooner!
  • I just bought a 99 VW New Beetle last week, and it was love at first sight. I thought to myself the Beetle is the car for me. It's cute, small, and just for me. Boy was I ever so wrong. A few days after I got my car my whole world almost changed for the worst. I was driving home from work on interstate 75/85 south going through downtown Atlanta when suddenly my car jumped gears. I was doing between 65 and 70 when this happen. Within a split second my car went from 65 to 45. It was stuck in Neutral. I was terrified. I didn't know what to do. Cars started flying pass me left and right, and all I could do was coast. I was almost rear ended by several cars. After I was able to get all the way over to my far right hand lane; my car jumped back into Drive. I was able to make it home but very shaken up about what had happen. I couldn't sleep right for the next couple of nights afterwards. I took my car back to the dealer I bought it from and he said he would get it looked at and see what the problem was. The day after he supposedly got it "fixed" he said nothing was wrong with the car but the same problem keep occurring. I left the car there again and the dealer said he would drive it home through Atlanta to see for himself if the car would do to him what it was doing to me. Two days later I come back to pick up my car because he had another person from VW look at my car to "Fix It". When I asked him how did it drive for him through Atlanta he said he didn't drive it home because he had to pick his kids up from school. My question to him and to VW is, if you wouldn't pick your kids up in this crap, why would you sale it to me to drive and put me in danger? Im getting rid of this car from HELL, and I would advise anyone who is bitten by this Love for THE BUG to seriously think again. Go to the doctors and get your head checked before you go to the dealers to get this car checked. Trust me it's not you that needs to be put away in the Nutty house, its the car. DO NOT BUY THE NEW VW BEETLE! I REPEAT. DO NOT BUY THE NEW VW BEETLE. IT MAY COST YOU MORE THEN A NEW TRANSMISSION. IT CAN COST YOU YOUR LIFE. AND PLEASE REPORT ALL OF YOUR ISSUES AND COMPLAINTS WITH VW TO The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and your local State Attorney General Office . THIS IS A HUGE SAFETY ISSUE. ITS' JUST AS SERIOUS AS THE TOYOTA ISSUE. I've made my complaint already, PLEASE MAKE YOURS KNOWN. THE MORE WE SPEAK OUT THE MORE ATTENTION THIS MATTER GETS. Sincerely an Ex Vw Lover - 2/10/2010 -
  • Wow, your story sounds just like mine. I have an '05 Beetle Convertible Turbo and I've been having problems with the jerking for 2 years now (car is 4-1/2 yrs old and 42,000 miles). I've had the valve body replaced twice, as well as other things to try to get the jerking to stop, and this week I am getting a new transmission. My regular bumper to bumper warranty expired last June but thank God I still ahve the power train which will cover it. It is still a huge inconvenience, and I have to rent a stupid car which VW will not cover because they said once the bumper to bumper expires and you are only under power train they do not cover rental expenses. Well ... I've had this SAME problem for 2 years, which started while I had my bumper to bumper.

If my car didn't have such a huge cuteness factor (I have the light Aquarius Blue one with black convertible top) it would have been traded in long ago. My 16 year old daughter has had her heart set on this car since I got it.

On top of the transmission issues, I've used my regular bumper to warranty to death. thank God I had it !!!!!!

:lemon: Worst car I've ever owned .... but the service department at my dealer is awesome. They would be the ONLY reason I would buy another VW in the future (I'm not though ... plan to get a Ford Edge LOL).