Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Haynes manual says this code is for a 2.5 L engine cooling fan relay which makes no sense for you. It does not give anything for the 4.0 L. Maybe someone with a factory manual has more and better info for you. You may want to thoroughly examine all the hoses under the hood and to the gas tank checking for anything that cracked, loose or pinched and have your gas cap checked.
  • :( can anyone tell me if this is neutral switch/ backup lights causing the code
  • I have a 99' Cherokee Sport, 4.0L Inline 6. I'm shopping for some performance upgrades, at this point completely stock...I want an exhaust system that delivers power, but also I want it LOUD, any ideas!?! And also I saw an add for a turbonator or something? Anyone know if that's legit? Please help!!!
  • gmyers65gmyers65 Posts: 1
    I was wondering if I could get some help. I have 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/ 4.0L 6 cyl. engine. Lately it has been overheating, replaced thermostat and radiator cap per the Jeep dealer. Worked for awhile I had to tow my boat and once I got on the highway it overheated and stalled. Took twenty minutes to start then did it again 10 miles later. Took it back to the shop and they found nothing wrong & had no explanation. Now yesterday, under no load, it just stalled again. I have noticed that the electric fan never seems to turn. Could this be my problem or is there combination? Thanks for any help.
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    You'll need both high-flow exhaust and intake to get any increase in performance and even then it will be much less than earthshaking. I did this and noticed a tiny bit more zip at take off and smoother acceleration at WOT. Not worth the money.
  • mytoolsmytools Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with my 90 Cherokee.

I followed the Antenna to the interior, nothing.

I followed the radio input to the passenger kick panel, and nothing again.

I removed the passenger kick panel and found that Jeep, in their infinite wisdom, made a cable connector that rests right behind the passenger kick panel. It had come unconnected. I plugged it together and radio works great. For added security I secured the connector with electrical tape so that it wont come loose a second time.

So the blame for this problem clearly lies with your passenger(s). All that kickin' around over there finally worked the connector loose!! :P

Hope that helps,
    MyTools
  • kworkkwork Posts: 1
    Have a 95 jeep cherokee both alternator and battery check fine on and off vehicle but system shows not charging and only pulling about 9.3 volts any suggestions on what to look at next
  • gct717gct717 Posts: 2
    my jeep does the samething, my overflow cap does not fit. i think, that could be the reason why all the coolant is coming back out of it, right?
  • I recently had to replace the cylinder head on my 2001 Cherokee and in doing some research have found that there is a problem with the casting (I think the casting # is 0331, but I could be wrong.)between cylinders 3 & 4 that leads to cracks in this location that allow coolant and oil to mix, resulting in overheating, low oil pressure, and the associated problems with contaminating these two systems. This is my 3rd Jeep Cherokee (others were an '89 and a '96.) I had high hopes for the improved performance of the 2001, but this defect is not what I have come to expect from Jeep branded vehicles, and causes me to become nostalgic for my '96. Has anyone heard if DC has determined what the cause of this defect is, and if there is anything I can do, as an owner, to prevent this from happening again in the future? I e-mailed DC customer support and they replied that there was no recall, have a nice day. Not the answer I was seaching for!
  • voltage regulater
  • captktcaptkt Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Cherokee 4X4 with a 4.0 engine. I'm getting tow codes, P0171 - fuel sys lean & P0172 - fuel sys rich. The engine starts running very rough just as the light comes on. I'm looking at the MAP sensor or perhaps the IAC motor. Any ideas? Am I looking in the right directions? Thanks for any help.
  • mytools!!!

Thanks, buddy. I went ahead and removed the kickpanel and sure enough, it was the connector right behind it.

Course, now I saw the cabin filter is a mess and gotta replace that...since it's 11 oclock though I figure ill figure it out tomorrow.

As far as the ac goes...when it blows cool only after about five to ten minutes, does it typically need a 'charge' of freon, as everyone always says? How much does that run?

thanks again Mytools

Charley
  • The backup lights on my '93 Jeep Cherokee are not working. The bulbs are fine and what I can see of the wiring is OK.
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the backup lamp switch or provide any other suggestions as to what the problem may be?
    Thanks
  • 1988jeep1988jeep Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, straight 6, 4.0 litre, 200,000 miles. I noticed that sometimes when I accelerate or go over a bump or up a hill something feels like it is bouncing, or slipping and middle of the jeep in the back of the jeep, it also sounds like a bowling ball is loose in the car when it happens. Its really hard to explain but I am new to jeep world and am really scared this is the trans. PLEASE HELP :sick:
  • fine sandpaper the rotors and light coating of disc brake desqueak
  • the computer has to be reconfigered they did it to my 2000 and it is a recall, also the intake gasket has to be changed because of issues with the same problem
  • add a cheap set of leaf spring helpers 20.00 at autozone or advanced auto
  • there is a cheap recharge kit includes hose and gauge it only fits the one that you add it to
  • they make a heavy-duty water pump and crc sells a cooling additive
  • I have a 95 4x4 that did the the same thing. Had put 2 new tires on in the back. Put 2 new tires up front and popping disappeared. Dealer told me that the transfercase is where it binds up and will damage it if not taken care of. :shades: