Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• checkmecheckme Posts: 73
    When I bought my Cherokee, I knew that I would never take it off-road. I live in a major city.

I bought the jeep anyway, because I wanted something that really was capable of going off-road and taking punishment, even though it never would. I didn't want one of those imitation SUV's which are so common today. I wanted the real thing.

Sure, I knew that the Jeep might not ride or handle as well as an imitation truck, and might be a little noisier. But I didn't care.

After buying my Jeep, I sometimes wondered whether it really could handle off-road conditions. It is obviously tough, and I didn't doubt that it could do it. I just wanted to see
    for myself.

However, I lived in the Midwest. It is flat in the Midwest, and there are very few opportunities for serious off-roading. Thus I continued to wonder.

Last week, however, I drove from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California. This is a 2000 mile drive and includes hundreds of miles through the Rocky Mountains, the Mojave desert, and Utah arroyos and salt flats.

One day while driving on I-70 through Utah, an area so rural that gas stations really are 100 miles apart- though it is a major interestate, very few cars travel on it, I saw a rugged stretch of desert. I knew suddenly that I had to try driving my Jeep through it. An exit was coming up. I exited the interestate. At the end of of the exit ramp, there was a sign which pointed to the next town...and then the paved road ended.

I got on the dirt road and, a few hundred yards later, got completely off-road and drove through the desert. How did the jeep perform? Flawlessly. I drove up and sideways over 30 to 45 degree grades without a problem. The jeep ate up ditches that would have literally destroyed my old sedan. The four-wheel drive made short work of sand. It was amazing!

If you have ever wondered whether your jeep really can do all of those off-road things, now you know...it can!
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Posts: 237
    it's a Jeep! :)

Btw, I live in a flat area too and while rocks can be a little hard to find, mud is in plentiful supply.

I suggest start here:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/

Check out the trails section for pictures of people having fun. Watch out, though, it's addictive. I'm already planning mods and the vehicle only has 3500 miles on it.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    It's not hard to find off-roading. Many clubs out there you can join. I find mud to be a blast, not so much mud pits, but just winding out through the forest on trails. Love my Jeep just as much on-road as off. I'd be ashamed to be seen in one of the wimp mobiles out there that claim to be 4X4's.
  • sandyboysandyboy Posts: 114
    Funny! Well, I almost bought, I guess what you'd call a "Wimp-Mobile" ~ I did buy a Cherokee Limited, but here's the reason(s). I have little time and no interest in off-roading, nor mud, nor forests, nor deserts nor rock climbing, nor Jeep-Jamborees, etc, etc. WHAT I did want 4x4 for was for the winter. I live in New Jersey, work "in the city" and live in the residential suburbs. There are no deserts, sand hills nor mud around these parts. BUT, I do need to get to work, and out to food shop and to the bank & the post office. With my other car, which is rear wheel drive, it's useless in anything more than a coating of snow....one inch, Okay .....2 inches, park it!! So, that's is why I wanted 4x4. I decided on the Cherokee because it is 63 inches tall and can fit in my garage (height-wise). All other SUVs are MUCH taller, and also because I like the square - down to business - lOOk of the thing! I have kept my luxuries on board, what with heated dual 6-way leather power seats, CD & Cassette and time delay headlights, etc. So, you see, many of us in Snow Country have that to deal with daily, and mud running and desert runs don't even enter our minds!! We each have different needs. If I lived in Florida, or was retired, I would not own any 4x4 - but rather a Corvette convertible !
  • Hey everyone, I'm looking for a good rear air deflector for my 98 Cherokee Sport. I have a bug shield and ventshades by Autoventshade. They don't make a rear deflector though. I know that they don't do much, but I want one to set off the back of my Jeep. I know Mopar makes one, but you have to drill holes to install it though and I don't want one like that. I have seen the GTS aerowing and the EGR dustguard from their websites, but they are shown on other suv's. I don't know what they look like on a Jeep though. Has anyone out their installed one that looks good? If so, let me know. Thanks.
  • My wife is a Wrangler driver, but hope some of you can help me out!!

(Copied from Wrangler Board!)

Signed my wife and father-in-law up for a Jeep Jamboree in the NC Mountains this fall. It was an anniversary present and I have to say it has been the biggest hit for a present that I have ever given. And they don't go until October!

Anybody been to one and have advice on how to maximize the experience?

Thanks!
  • realsuvrealsuv Posts: 1
    For roof racks for the Cherokee-- Which ones are the best, factory upgrade towers, etc, Yakima or Thule? I want strongest and most secure.
  • mhall02mhall02 Posts: 38
    I have a 2000 Sport with 39,000 miles, lately when parallel parking or turning the steering wheel quickly w/ the AC on and slowly moving, I hear a 'whooomp' sound and vibration coming from what sounds like the power steering pump. The pump is full of fluid and it the wheel is not turned all the way so I think the pump is going bad. Has anyone had this problem? The belt seems OK, not too tight or loose. Luckily we have an extended warranty (six year,100,000 miles) but seems kind of strange. I have a 23 year old Ford truck w/ the original power steering pump and put over 180,000 miles on previous Dodge Shadow w/ no problems with the pump. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,189
    Jeep's brand new Cherokee is ready to do battle with Land Rover's best

Back on the warpath

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2000 as well, same sound from the steering, I just think its how it sounds. I will bring it up next time its at the dealer, mine is still under warranty. I doubt there is anything wrong, most likely the tires are gripping hard and it is putting it under stress at a certain point in its turning radius.
    Bring that cherokee back across the pond with a diesel and I'll consider buying one. That's what it would take to get me to spring for a Liberty.
  • My A/C compressor and the aux.cooling fan keep cycling on and off. On for 5 seconds, off for 2 seconds, repeats until you go crazy listening to the noise. Dealer says it's normal. Refrigerate charge is OK, blows cold air. Anybody else notice this on your Jeeps? I was thinking it may be a bad relay or sensor causing this.... it can't be good the the system.
  • I have a 99 Cherokee Ltd and the A/C cycles on an off like post #403 described. Living in TX, it gets quite hot so I've had to adjust to the "noise" and now find it bearable. The A/C blows icy cold air and I love it!

Anyone else replaced the original Goodyears within the first 2-3 years? I have to rotate and balance them every 6K miles because they get out of balance so easily. Never had this problem with any other vehicle I've owned. My Jeep has 24,800 miles and has been trouble free!
  • ed96ed96 Posts: 20
    thanks, for the heads up on the aux fan. i thought it was just mine. but, i live in las vegas and its hot as h.... here.
    question though does anyone else get the rumble under the floor at approx 12-2100 rpm during i believe the 2nd to 3rd shift?
    also my rotors are obviously warped at 15k miles . any body had any trouble with dealer repair?
  • The rotors on my 2000 have warped 2 times in 12,000 miles. Both times, replaced/repaired with no fight by dealer. First time, they turned the rotors. Second time, they replaced the rotors and pads. Pads this time are supposed to fix the warping problem. They are of a lesser metallic contents which reduces heat at the rotor and thus reduces rotor warping. They are already feeling like they are warping again after 2K miles since replacement, right on par with the other 2 sets. I have a feeling that I will just have to spring for a nice set of aftermarket slotted rotors and high performance pads. I hear the ones from Performance Products work well. Its quite unfortunate that Jeep can't produce a better brake system. I am thinking of trying to get the dealer to cover the labor to put them on. The droaning noise is normal as well. There must be a certain RPM where the exhaust system resonates through the unibody. Its annoying but I have gotten used to mine.
  • I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic auto trans that has a clunk feel as you come to a stop, and it shifts down, or something. Not shure if it's the transmission, rear end, or the transfer case.
    Dealer says this is standard with the 4 wheel drive auto transmission. I feel like something is wrong, and I am being kissed off. Does anyone else experience this type of problem. If so, what was the answer, fix, etc ?. Looking for the fix.
    babsj: I've got 23K on my 01 cherokee and have had to balance the tires once (last week). I originally rotated them, and the vibration moved to the back so I had them balanced. The vibration in the back is gone (it was really bad when towing), and the vibration up front is very very slight at 52-55mph. The Goodyear RT/S have a bit of trouble in this area, but they aren't bad tires overall. Good combination of on-road/off-road versitility.

rayp1: the thump you described sounds normal. My cherokee does this, my inlaws grand cherokee does this, a friends 4runner does it. I think it's pretty common on vehicles with real 4X4 systems and auto trannies. My Tacoma (same as 4runner) didn't do it, but it was a manual tranny.
  • My Dodge Magnum used to do this. I think it was u-joint problem.

I just ignored it.
  • I have a 2000 Sport with nearly 40,000 miles, I was going to try to drain the radiator this weekend, flush it out and add new antifreeze, but the drain plug is about impossible to get to!! What was Jeep thinking? Any suggestions on what all you have to remove for an easy access to this plug? I have the DC issued Jeep Service manual and it is totally different than what the book indicates. I must give them a thumbs up on the ease of draining the auto tranny, a plug on the bottom of the pan is a plus.
  • My 1999 Cherokee Sport has 29,000 miles on it. I rotate my own Goodyear tires every 6,000 miles according to crossover pattern shown in the owners manual. They have never been rebalanced and run very smooth at all speeds. I have the steel wheels not aluminum. Also, the treads show even wear. I live in Pennsylvania where the roads are the worst in the country and the tires have held up extremely well.

My brake rotors are not warped. I always hand tighten my lugs nuts to avoid over tightening.

I do have a very noisy drivetrain. The dealer has rebuilt the front differential and transfer case and installed some new parts in the four wheel drive shift lever. The noise seems worse. There are times when it is fine and other times when it sounds like the gears are running dry. I am very concerned about this because I don't want any costly problems after my warranty expires next year.
  • One of the local dealers here has the above listed with 36,083 miles, air, auto, power windows, locks, in the dark green color.
    It is a 4 door.

The "sale" price is $13,495.00

Is this a fair price?

Are there any recommendations on what to look and listen for when I take it for a test drive?

Any recalls or TSB's for this year?

Thanks in advance
  • I found a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport still left on a lot. It's a 4-door 2WD and the MSRP is $23k. With the $2k rebate still available for this model what do you think is a fair offer on my part? Take into consideration that it's probably been sitting on the lot for awhile and they are willing to deal to get rid of the car. I've looked it up on this site but wanted to get others opinions.

Thanks
    pgooseman
  • I bought a 2001 sport in May of this year in Dallas,TX and my sticker was 21935 and paid 14650. Of course I got 3750 rebate if you finance w/chrysler on a balloon payment which is not a lease, it's a simple interest with a big payment at the end. What I did was refinance it a month later with no penalties.If you don't mind refinancing then I would go with the balloon payment.(if it's still available.) Offer 7200 off the msrp with balloon or 5500 off with just the 2000 rebate. One more thing is the Cherokee had a 1000 dealer incentive which goes straight to the dealer for selling this vehicle and that may not be around anymore as well. I hope this helps! Let us know how it turns out.
  • Well, several days ago I raved on this board how my '99 LTD had been trouble free since I bought it 6/99. Can't say that anymore! Drivers window regulator had to be replaced this week. I was entering my parking garage, lowered the window to insert the access card, and the window wouldn't come back up! Just a grinding noise. So, I immediately went to the dealer and had the regulator replaced. WHEW Under warranty so no cost to me. But I'm sad that my trouble-free record has been broken. But, in the overall scheme of things I'm still very pleased with the vehicle. This repair was pretty minor, so I guess I can't complain!
  • ed96ed96 Posts: 20
    dont feel bad babs , my drivers side window did the electric slide at 10,000 miles. maybe just particular to 99s in hot climates. its not the cost (FREE)its the annoyance factor that hurts me. plastic parts.
  • mhall02mhall02 Posts: 38
    Hi all, I just had my steering gearbox replaced last week. This is in reference to my August 28th entry on the message board concerning my problem. They originally replaced the power steering pump, but the same noise was noted and upon returning they went ahead and replaced the power steering gear box and now it seems to be working great, no noises. I have been pleased with the service we received from Royal Oaks Chrysler/Jeep in St. Peters, MO, however, I hope this will be one of my few visits.
  • My wife drives over 80 miles each day on the NJ Turnpike. I have no problems, I work with 4 people who have, 1- Cherokee Sport 1 - 1998 JGC
    2 - 1999 JGC. No problems. Last winter I pulled a Honda CRX-V or something out of the snow. I charged him $50 and told him to buy a real SUV.
    Does anybody have any ideas on aftermarket "cat back" exhaust systems?

M
  • Check out
    http://www.rustysoffroad.com/engine.html
    for his exhaust replacement kit. You can also do a search on Google for "xj cat back exhaust". I got lots of good hits.
    Finally, a great resource for all things jeep is the XJ-List from off-road.com. There are searchable archives with almost anything you would ever want to know about your jeep. The main page is at:
    http://lists.off-road.com/xj-list/
    Hope this helps.
  • trbbytrbby Posts: 1
    Love my 1998 Cherokee, I too have that annoying on/off of the fan when A/C is blowing, what ended up being the solution or adjustment to resolve this
  • Sorry, but I've never been so excited. I picked up my 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic today. What a beauty it is. Got home, a quick trip friends house, and off road we went up the mountains. Oh the joy of 4WD! Never had the pleasure. Would you believe I traded in my Mitsu Eclipse for it? All my friends are in shock. I'll be taking pics soon. I wanted to drive it up the mountain so bad that I forgot my camera (DOH)! I'm sure I'll be reading through these posts mor often. Cheers!