Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• csawrucsawru Posts: 29
    Ehhh... must be that durned small print again, "Specifications, descriptions, illustrative materials, and all competitive comparisons in this web site are believed to be accurate at the time this web site was published. DaimlerChrysler Corporation reserves the right to discontinue models at any time or change specifications without notice or without incurring obligation. For the price of the model with the equipment you desire, or verification of specifications contained here, see your local dealer." - This from jeepunpaved.com...

Well anyhow, I'll check this out when I get home...
  • sandyboysandyboy Posts: 114
    From this week's "Automotive News" the auto industry trade paper:-
    "JEEP CHEROKEE OUTPUT ENDS'

DaimlerChrysler ended production of the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) on Friday, June 22nd at 9:02 AM, Toledo, Ohio Time. The Cherokee's were built in Toledo since 1983 when American Motors introduced them. An estimated 2,708,645 were built since then. The final unit, a black Sport 4-Door 4WD with the 60th Anniversary Package was loaded onto an enclosed trailer for shipment to the DaimlerChrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan. After a brief ceremony surrounding the vehicle, there was a small party in private quarters. Some employees were seen shedding tears over the demise of the vehicle many had built for 18 continous years. On June 28th (Thursday) the final Plymouth will be built. It will be a silver Neon, and was sold to a Chrysler employee in Florida. The Prowler has been badged as a Chrysler since the last week in January, 2001. All Navy Blue Prowlers are Chryslers, any other color is a Plymouth.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Posts: 237
    I'm looking to add the front and rear tow hooks and the skid plates to my '01 Sport and I would like to install them myself. Does anyone know if they come with instructions, are easy to figure out without, or need any special tools? Has anyone done it themselves?

Thanks in advance.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I bought the fuel tank skid guard and returned it because it was going to be a huge PITA with the tow pkg, and I didn't want it mounted between the frame and the hitch. Had instructions and didn't look too bad, with the exception of the hitch and bumper having to come off. I'm going to install the front skid guard, but the rest is fairly well protected for the type of off-roading I do which is mainly getting through muddy fields/small creeks.

I bought the front tow hook pkg also, and have yet to install. All came with instructions and didn't look like they needed any special tools. The front bumper has to come off to put the hooks on also. I bought a tow hook that bolts to the hitch and I have installed that on the rear. It's pretty stout, I pulled a couple fence post with it a few nights ago.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Posts: 237
    I'll probably do the same then. The front skid plate looks like it just bolts on. I actually found a decent website to augment the instructions for installing the front hooks:

http://www.extremejeep.com/towhooks.htm

Did you get the Mopar rear hook for the hitch? I've seen a couple of different ones that have their own bar that fits the receiver and then another that attaches somewhere to the hitch. I guess I'll have to pass on the rear skid plate.

Yeah, the rear tow hook was mopar. I don't know if it was specific to cherokee or not, the local stealership had one laying around and sold it to me for 1/2 list. It basically just bolted to the class III (right side). I've seen the ones with the hitch bar also, but it would be a pain to carry around an extra bar. I don't remember the specs, but the hook I bolted on was rated high enough to satisfy me. 3/8" bolts hold it on, so it's not exactly flimsy.

The hitch actually looks like it will protect the fuel tank from backing over something. Coming down on a big rock might be a different story, but I'm not into rock crawling. The front skid looks like the most important with all the steering/suspension components hanging there.
  • rdnmburdirdnmburdi Posts: 5
    I bought a 98 Cherokee about three weeks ago. It has high miles (120000) and was a fleet vehicle. I got it for what I think was a good price (8600 out the door) with power everything except cruise. I also has the select track 4x4 system
    (used it a couple of times, works like a champ). My question is this, I saw a switch next to the rear wiper switch labeled "EXT IDLE". I have yet to find any reference to that switch except in a Haynes on one wiring diagram for the light on it. It listed the switch as part of the police package, not a surprise because is was a security vehicle for a local reservation. Does anybody know what this switch does and what is all part of this package. My local jeep dealer, not where I bought it, is worse that useless. thanx
  • reich2reich2 Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm trying to determine what is a good price to offer for a Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr(non-60th an iv). The vehicle is loaded with most options, if not everyone! The MSRP is $29005, the invoice is $26436. There are incentives for both the dealer and the consumer. Dealer incentive is $1000, but I don't know if it applies where I live?? That is Dayton, OH, green county. It applies to certain counties but doesn't list them?!?! If anyone knows I would like to hear about it. (Thanks ahead of time!) There are consumer incentives also; APR, Rebates and APR + rebate combos. There is a 3% MSRP hold back. Would offering invoice be too high an offer or should it be lower than invoice. I'm kinda wondering cause I talked to a dealer and they seemed too willing to give me invoice. Making me think that maybe I could get it for less. What do you guys think??? Should I jump on it?? Is invoice minus the consumer incentives fair or should (or can) I get it for less?? I realize that the Cherokee has been discontinued and wonder if this is a reason to get it for less than invoice. I can walk away from the car. I have good transportation. But if there is a good deal.........who knows??

Interested in reading some responses. Thanks!!
    Have you tried using the switch yet? My guess is that it speeds the idle up a bit. I've seen switches like that in large semis also. Some of them you just hit the switch and it automatically raises the idle. Others, you have to give it a bit of throttle and then hit the switch when you reach the RPM's you want the vehicle to hold. You don't need it unless you idle for long periods.
    You should be able to buy it for invoice, less dealer incentive, less your rebate. If you are financing, you'll have to decide how you want to take the rebate/apr. I'm thinking you should be able to buy it for around $23,500 just guessing but you'll have to do the math. I'm an hour east of Columbus, and bought mine back in December. Most any dealer was selling them then for invoice less dealer cash and consumer cash.
  • sandyboysandyboy Posts: 114
    I would not let that car get away!! At $29,005.00 it is unique. It has absolutely every option available. The one I just bought was $28,140.00. I omitted 3 items that I did not want. If you add the list price of those 3 items, you get exactly $29,005. Those item are: Engine Block Heater, Trailer Towing Package & Up Country Suspension Package. I am in NJ. When I bought it April 26th there was no dealer incentive money that I was aware of. I have a good friend in Pittsburg, Pa & I called him (he sells 'em) and he told me that there was NO dealer incentive monies on them (then) & I checked the Edmund's pricing site herein, and found the $2,000 customer incentive monies, but NO dealer incentive monies. I paid $354.00 OVER invoice, MINUS the $2,000.00 customer rebate money. I might have paid a little bit more than I might have somewhere else, but I wanted to buy it at THAT dealer, because they have a superior service reputation, and were close to my home, and treat people very well. That meant more to me than getting it cheaper from some wham-bam highway discount shaft house! Just outta curiousity, please tell, what color combo is this car you're looking at?
    Yes it is extended Idle - used on the Police Package, which includes a HD Radiator, I think battery, a calibrated 120 MPH Speedo, among other things. It's to help keep the engine cool by sucking more air thru radiator as well as making sure the alternator keeps running fast to support extra load of lights, radios, stun guns, etc...
    I am looking at the Patriot Blue with the agate interior. Yea, it has every option including the 3 you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.
    I guess I'm not too for off then. I was thinking invoice(about $26400), minus rebate/apr($1000/0.9% @ 36mo.) and I don't know if the dealers in my area get the Dealer incentive, which is $1000. In summary, you are saying that I should be able to get it for invoice (26400) - consumer rebate (1000) - dealer rebate if it applies (1000) = 24400. Thanks for the reply!
  • brad256brad256 Posts: 11
    Have owners with the overhead computer found them to be reliable? Yesterday, it said the distance to empty was 20 miles. The primary fuel sensor had not gone off, but I decided to refill anyway. The tank was full with only a little more than 16 gallons.

Should this be accurate and is in need of repair, or is it an unreliable toy?
  • hope4all2hope4all2 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee(I am the original owner) that has a problem that the Airbag light comes on, and then I lose my entire Instrument Cluster Panel(No speedometer, gas gauge, oil pressure etc.) and it stays this way. Then sometimes it will surge and everything will return only to lose it in a few minutes or days. I have taken it to two different dealerships for a total of three trips and it is still not repaired. I was just wandering if anyone else had experienced this. Also, my warranty has run out and I think the dealerships are going to try and make me pay for the next round of repairs. (I live in Houston) Thanks in advance for any information you can send.

Lori
    Lori,

If you go to this site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Central

and select Vehicle Search, then enter the specs for your 1999 Cherokee, you should get a couple of recall notices - not all of which applies - and several other notices.. It's kind of cryptic but it may lead you to info to show a dealer;

Anyways it sounds like either a loose wiring connector going to the panel which just needs to be tightened or a loose fuse...

Good Luck and congrats on you 99

Will

• rdnmburdirdnmburdi Posts: 5
    yes, i did try the ext idle, the problem was only a couple of times the idle went up like i thought but the rest of the time nothing seemed to happen. at least now i know it is suppose to jump up the idle so i can track down why it is only doing it once in a while.
  • steele9steele9 Posts: 1
    I bought my Jeep at the end of January 2001 and I have had NOTHING but problems since the day I picked it up. Have you experienced any of the following?
    - the first day I had it, I had to take it in because the check engine light was on - they said they just replaced a spark plug
    - two weeks after I had it, the windshield wipers went out (of course it was snowing at the time)
    -the next month and a half it started having more problems - would shimmy and shake and have a hard time staying at an idle - would stall, check engine light was on - took it in - they SAID it was a computer software update.
    - NOW I'm having the same problem - mostly when the airconditioner is on - shakes uncontrollably and has a knocking noise. Wont stay at an idle and doesn't respond when you give it gas.

I HATE MY CAR! Anyone with similar problems???