Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• vin_weaselvin_weasel Posts: 237
    The radiator is between $100 and $140 and its one of the best. The other one to look for is the heavy duty Mopar rad (performance part maybe).

The thing is the Cherokee runs hot.

Doing all of those things together will help with the longevity of the vehicle, I believe. I've got all of those included in my towing package.
  • bfassettbfassett Posts: 17
    I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport Classic. The AC will run fine for about 5 minutes, The cooling fan cycles on and off and the AC goes on and off. THE AC THEN STARTS TO BLOW WARM/HOT MUSTY AIR AND THE COOLING FAN RUNS CONSTANTLY. I HAD THE DEALEER CHARGE THE SYSTEM-NO LEAKS AND CHANGE THE COOLANT.NO CHANGE.I TRIED SWITCHING THE BLACK RELAYS IN THE POWER CENTER FROM THE COOLING FAN AND THE FOG LIGHTS.NO CHANGE, THE LARGE GREEN RELAY GETS VERY HOT , THE OTHER DAY THINGS WERE WORKING JUST FINE AND I PULLED THE 40 AMP IN LINE FUSE AND( THEN PUT IT BACK IN )FOR THE COOLING FAN AND THE FAN RAN CONSTANTLY, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ALS0 ON.I HEAD BACK TO THE DEALER SOON ANYONE WITH ANY THOUGHTS.HOW DOE YOU GET AT THE FOG LIGHT SWITCH TO REPLACE IT?
  • ecatecat Posts: 11
    GDI seems to be the defacto standard for Jeep Cherokee radiator upgrades. Thats what I was planning on going with.

Thanks for the info

One other thing I considered, even though I personally believe it would look silly is a modest hood scoop, more for the chance to let heat escape more than anything else.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I would really concentrate on just getting the radiators in. They will much more effectively keep the engine running at the optimum temp. The Inline-6 does like to run on the hotter side and getting it too cool isn't good for it. Heat's only a bad thing when it exceeds what the engine was designed for.
    I hear what you're saying.

Its hard to believe that an engine that size in such a tight space is performing optimally at that temperature. It just goes against everything I've ever been taught.
  • gjblegjble Posts: 23
    My neighbor has a Jeep Cherokee with full time 4 wheel drive and a big V8 with about 140,000 miles, well kept. The other day ,the Jeep was backed into her garage and she started it to drive out, normal idle, and with her foot on the brake, put it into drive and the vehicle took off, full power, with the tires spinning and she ran into her retaining wall head on.They had a mechanic over that night and he duplicated the feat. I looked at it and turned the key on without the motor running and put it in drive to see if the throttle moved, it did not. Anybody have any answers for this behavior?
    the simple solution would be to repost this under the GRAND Cherokee Problems thread. :) No Cherokees were ever offered with a V8.

Wasn't this a known problem with the Grand's? Something about the transmission slipping into or out of gear? I think it even made the news.
  • ed96ed96 Posts: 20
    beg to differ. i have heard of special order v-8 cherokees. not grands. late models i believe the last i heard was a 98 around the time the grand got the smaller vortec engine that would fit in the cherokee . never seen it but i do know from friend at dmv it has been done
    The Grand got the 4.7L in '99. There are a few cherokees in existence with 4.7L stroker V8's but these are NOT factory ordered. Jeep has never built a V8 Cherokee that was sold as a street legal vehicle. Vortec has never been a Jeep engine name, that would be Chevy. There's cherokees around with Chevy V8's as well. Again, you can do anything with the time and money. I can remember a V10 Dodge Neon in one of the car mags awhile back. Not sure how they kept the rear wheels on the ground.....

But what's more likely is that your DMV friend might have a simple mistake on their hands or just a registration glitch. I've seen Grand Cherokees registered as a Cherokee, the VIN being the only indication that they were actually Grands. So a Cherokee with a V8 is quite possible on a DMV record. Plus I don't know why anyone would want to alter a title of a vehicle to reflect the fact they completely modified the vehicle. Insurance will eat you alive on a modified registered vehicle.
    from what I've heard on a few other message boards, you'll never pass emissions in certain states with an engine that was never offered in stock form. There are quite a few chevy 350 swaps out there but you may never be able to get them legally on the road. I've read of one swap of a 4.7L V8 (Grand Cherokee) into a TJ so you might be able to put one in a Cherokee. The 4.0L can be stroked to about 4.7L and get over 300+ ft/lb torque (http://www.accuratepower.com/Jeep/Stroker.html).

Bottom line: The only engines offered in the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) are the 2.8L Chevy V6 (until about 87-88 I think), 2.5L I4 and 4.0L I6. The Grand Cherokee has had the 5.2 (318), 5.9 (360, only in '98), 4.0L I6 and the new 4.7L V8.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Older, pre 1984, Full Size Cherokees could be gotten with a V8. Is this perhaps what you are referring to?
  • ed96ed96 Posts: 20
    look, im not a motorhead. what i meant to say was that my friend spoke to the gentlemen who bought and registered a new cherokee, not grand with a v-8 this was a 98. and he ordered that way . he drove for a living and wanted the power . so i say if it walks like a duck ....
    about people driving up to the factory and custom building these vehicles, but I never see any of them and the folks I know in the auto industry says it doesn't happen. Now the factory engineering/design departments have been known to do some wild stuff as testing, but the are supposed to be destroyed. Sometimes they don't always get destroyed.....but they aren't going to go out the door with a certificate of origination. A custom shop could do all the mods prior to titling it as a new vehicle. Depending on the state, it could be registered with the mods I suppose. Beyond ego, I still can't imagine why anyone would want to register the vehicle with the changes. An insurance company is going to boo-hiss regardless of how it was registered.
  • Hello, I'm a little short on time, so I didn't read all 700 posts. I have a friend with a Cherokee who wants to sell or trade it in. I like it for driving, not much for off roading. Nothing with the Jeep. I just don't enjoy it much. I know a wrangler can handle a small plow, which I need for the driveway. Also know the Grand can't handle a plow well because it's missing the needed frame strength strength. Hope one of you Cherokee guys can tell me if the Cherokee can handle a small personal plow. If so, could kill two birds with one stone. My friend wouldn't have to worry about the trade in dance, and I could take it off his hands at a reasonable price. TIA......Leo
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Apparently so. Check out this website:

https://www.mysnowsport.com/htmls/order.asp

• sbyrumsbyrum Posts: 7
    FYI - my '98 Classic (43,000k) needs a new distributor. Mechanic tried 5 different ones from various places (including a dealership) specified for the '98. The plug on each one would not fit my vehicle. He finally called another dealership whose parts person happened to know from previous experience what the problem was. Seems that for 1997 & 1998 Chrysler used a different plug, then after that, went back to the old plug. Of course, no one in town stocks these - they have to be special ordered and cost double and a half times as much!!!
    Advanced Auto Parts does.

They gave me one by mistake.
  • sbear1140sbear1140 Posts: 1
    i am considering buying a 99 cherokee sport. I have a 2500 lb. 17-foot boat. can the cherokee sport tow this load? I would be towing on normal highways. has anybody towed boats or campers with your cherokee sport? If so what is your opinion....good or bad. thanks.
    The weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. You'll know it's back there but that's a comfortable towing weight for the Cherokee. I might be a little concerned about the length on such a short vehicle, but you should be able to get anti-sway bars to help. I'd check with your trailer shop before buying the Jeep so you have an option if you don't like the stability. A Long-bed 1/2 pickup would pull that very well, but the cherokee is so short it can get pushed around alot by a long trailer. I normally pull a 15' trailer and Kubota tractor with mine. Does fine, but hills slow you down a bit.