Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• fvpfvp Posts: 147
    We have an 01 Sport with 17,000 miles on it. After a number of problems when it was new, the bugs are now out and it's a pleasure to own. I drive it everyday to work and I agree: other than the ride being a bit choppy, it performs great. The stereo is crappy and about to be replaced, but during the winters in Western PA [especially last winter] the thing is worth it's weight in gold. I can't tell you how many of the neighborhood kids I drove to school when the roads were bad. I did replace the junk Goodyears with Michelin M&S's last fall and they work great in snow and rain - one of my better $600 investments.
    We don't off road much either and my wife also mentions the Suburu as an eventual replacement. I'm not so sure - the Jeep is paid off, only 2 years old and with 17,000 miles on the clock it has a long way to go.
  • ag1029ag1029 Posts: 7
    I was checking your board out.. Just my 2 cents. Anyone in the New Jersey area with a cherokee I would strongly advise you into looking into a Clfford Alarm. I lost my 01 to car thieves.

When I found my 2000 thats the first thing I did was have the Cliiford put in. Best 340.00 I spent.
     I still wish I had the 01!! I liked that one better.
  • sandyboysandyboy Posts: 114
    I still have the crappy GoodBEERS on it, because it's only got 10,500 miles on it. Round about 2 years from now, at 20,000 I too will get the tires you have.
    My stereo is superb, as it's a Cherokee Limited and it has the cassette/CD/Graphic Equalizer with 6 speakers, Infinity Power Amp and coaxial speakers. $710.00 option only available with the Limited. 'Ya gotta hear it!
    Yes, I know about the Ski-High theft rate of these in Northern New Jersey. When it was 8 months old, it had both door locks attempted to be "punched in" but neither one gave way to the bums. They tore 'em up on the outside, and there were dents around the lock. I had Dent Dr. heat & remove the dents (99% perfect) as I did not want both front doors repainted, and then got new lock cylinders and finishing key hole circles.
    I now have the Auto Brake Lok Club and a steering wheel club and a roof mounted video surveilance camera filming every time she is parked. They will be on film. I don't think they could get it as it has the Sentry Key System, too, from the factory. This attempt on my car's life was committed in a Church parking lot!! Perhaps they shoulda been inside?
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    I am afraid my 98 Cherokee Classic no longer graces my garage. At 60,000 miles, it has found a new home with a friend of mine. I had been averaging about $200 per month in unscheduled maintenance in the last year or so. The frequency of repairs seemed to be increasing, so I figured it was time to move on. I hadn't been very happy with the way Jeep has been changing since DC bought Chrysler. With living in NC, I didn't really need the 4WD. My wife's Protege5 had all of the hauling (not towing) capability we needed. Getting rid of the Cherokee gave me the opportunity to get the sports car I had been wanting plus paying off some other debt. It seemed the logical thing to do.
    I understand your reluctance to keep the Jeep with the repairs and all. Don't forget, my Cherokee has been in the shop at least once a month for the last year. However, it now has been performing without a hitch and I like it a lot. The factory warranty has another year to run and then, if I am still the owner, I will get an extended warranty to cover the multitude of repairs that seem to crop up regularly.
    That said, I'm going to miss your wise council as you have given me plenty of advice over the last year or so.
    Check in once in a while to visit if you can.
    I forgot to mention that nothing I ever had to get repaired would have prevented my Jeep from running. It was always things like window regulators, air conditioning lines, stereos, gauge clusters, and so on. Not essential, but expensive. I'll continue to read and post on this forum. You've got my e-mail if you ever have a question which is not appropriate for Edmunds. I hope you continue to enjoy your Cherokee.
    I'm glad you will keep up with this forum as I don't have your e-mail address any longer. I had to wipe my hard drive clean a couple months ago and did not backup my e-mail address folder.
    Would you mind sending me an e-mail so I can put your address back into my book?
    I'd appreciate it and good luck with the sports car - quite a difference from your Cherokee!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Yeah, I'm planning to put mine up 4sale. I tend to go through vehicles fairly quickly. My '01 has around 70k miles now, IIRC. My sister-in-law has been driving it for the last couple weeks so I haven't seen it lately! I've only had a couple very minor issues, so I have no complaints about its reliablity. It's a great vehicle but since I bought my diesel Jetta, I only use the Cherokee when I have a lot of cargo or it snows. I've had a couple instances where my cargo wouldn't fit in the Cherokee so I had to drive our Tahoe. I figure there's no sense keeping something around if you just don't drive it very often. It would make someone a terrific vehicle but I'll miss it. Has a timeless look to it and still probably the best looking SUV on the road to me.
    I agree with you - I really like the look of the Cherokee. Our 01 has only 17,300 miles on it and we are planning on keeping it for awhile. In addition, it's paid off and since I just bought a Toyota Sienna for my wife, the Cherokee and I will be together for the near future. Thus the stereo upgrade.
    I do have a question: I am in the process of ordering the speakers and I am getting two different sizes. Ours does not have the upgraded Infinity system and the Jeep parts department says the roof mounted rear speakers are 5.25" and the front door speakers are 6.50". Various websites [like Crutchfields] says both are 5.25".
    Has anyone replaced the speakers in an 01 and if so, what sizes are the front and rear speakers?
    Thanks for the help.
    The Jeep Parts Dept. told you correctly. Roff are 5.25 & door are 6.50. There are also small coaxial speakers mounted on the inside of the exterior mirror, where it's attached to the door frame. Total = 6 speakers. But, the stereo is different too. It's badged INFINITI GOLD SERIES
    Thanks for the input. I have no coaxial speakers mounted on the inside of the exterior mirror - just the two in the roof and two in the doors.
    I'll go with the 6.5's in the doors and 5.25's in the roof.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Did the factory replacement last night with a new Pioneer Head Unit and four Infinity speakers. Because of my inexperience it took about 2 hours, but had no major problems.
    The end result? WOW!
    Cool. Doesn't take much to vastly improve on that factory system.

I'm a big Pioneer fan too. I bought my first aftermarket CD player back in the early 90's. It was one of the lower-end Pioneers and was almost $400!! I took that CD player with me through three vehicles then gave it to my brother a few years back. My nephew now has it in his car (he's 17) so we'll see how long it can keep going.
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    What model Pioneer unit and Infinity speakers did you buy? Where did you buy them? I have a '99 and want to upgrade.
    The Pioneer I got was the DEH-P47DH from crutchfield.com for $249.99 - it fits right in the oversized slot that the stock unit is in [it's called a din and a half size].There is a more expensive model [DEH-P77DH] that I didn't get. The units are exactly alike except the 77 provides a remote control and an alarm that goes through the speakers. On both units the faceplate detaches so you can remove it from the vehicle making the radio useless, so the alarm seemed redundant.
    All four speakers are Infinity - 5.25 in the rear roof and 6.5 in the doors. The 6.5's are the Infinity Reference 6002si series [$99.99/pr] and the 5.25's are Infinity Reference 5002si [also $99.99/pr].
    The installation was quite easy - the Head Unit has two screws holding it in. Once they are removed, just unplug the old and plug in the new. Of course, you have to splice together the wiring harness that Crutchfield supplies so it will connect with the stock wiring.
    If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail.
    Did you take any pictures of the install? I would be curious to see how the head unit looks after installation.

This is mine. I think it's similar to what fvp put in his. Officially have my XJ up for sale now so I've got pics laying around of everything. Anybody wanna since my paintless fender flares, LOL?!
    Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures - now that you mention it I wish I did. I dropped one of the two screws that holds the Head Unit to the dash down the hole where the 4wd handle sticks out when I was installing the new unit. It took 30 minutes to fish it out with a magnetized screw driver. Let's just say that there were a few choice words for my stupidity at that point.
    That said, the picture from sebring95 is exactly what mine looks like installed. Fits the dash perfectly and works like a charm. I'm glad I did the upgrade - you can't believe how much better it sounds vs. the factory crap.
    boy that last sentance in my post above was stupid! Here's my ripped fender flares. I even have the full molded mud-guards on the front.

The white is actually the bare plastic.
    Thanks for the pic. Because of it you saved me 1,000 words of description!

Can anyone tell me what is that cut-out or outline for located to the left of the a/c vent. The cutout in the grey plastic that looks like this:-
    II
    II
    II
    Thanks!
    My only guess is it's to strengthen the plastic. The plastic is rather thin, and being a large flat area with no support behind it, they moulded ribs and tried to make it look fashionable.

Either that or has to do with stamping for the right-hand drive models, but that seems like a stretch.
    Thank you for the stereo info... and also mentioning that I should cover the shifter hole before installation. I thought that crap only happened to me....lol.
    A word of advice: The bottom screw for the Head Unit is positioned directly above the opening shifter hole.
    Caution is advised!
    Hello All Think I'll post mine also :)

Click Here
    What model is your Pioneer radio? The trim plate looks very clean. Was it included with the radio? Did you install the radio yourself?
    Yes easy install. The face plate came with it.
      Model# is deh-p4500mp. It will play cd and mp format..I bought it from Crutchfield. You can find one on Ebay but dont know about the wire harness..Crutchfield includes everything..
  • jsmith42jsmith42 Posts: 1
    i've owned 3 cherokees 86, 88, 97. just experienced a second low milage transmission failure...failure occurred at 32,000mi in the 86, now at 72,000mi in the 97. i've owned many cars (?30) everything from chevy, ford, plymouth, lincoln, olds, bmw, jag, porsche and never had a transmission failure.
    i have all routine maintenance done, am esentially the only driver, dont tow or do off-road so car care is not an issue. Jeep response has been: tough luck, buddy. What a disappointment. anybody else had this unexpected major transmission expense ...or can any one make a suggestion how to get a factory good will contribution to reimburse a part of the cost of the latest one? The Michigan BBB was contacted and is of no help. I loved jeeps and was about to replace this one but i'll now dump this one and never buy another if this is as much factory interest they will express for a repeat buyer with a major product failure x 2.
  • mhall02mhall02 Posts: 38
    I have not heard of anyone having problems with the Cherokee 4 speed auto (AW-4 made in Japan), however, many problems with the Grand Cherokees Chrysler tranny. Check the Grand Cherokee forum if this is the case, otherwise, you are a rare case from what I know or heard of.
    Agree with the above. The '86 & '88 models didn't have the highest quality tranny, but starting around '92 and newer have the AW4 which is regarded in the industry as nearly bulletproof regardless of application (Jeep, Toyota, etc). If this isn't a Cherokee and is actually a Grand Cherokee, then all bets are off.

Regardless, has the fluid been changed? The only way you see a Grand Cherokee from that vintage with an intract tranny is if the fluid has been changed religiously.