Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• ohiojrohiojr Posts: 3
    Opps,
    Forgot to tell you I think I have the factory tow package. Also would like to pick up a shop manuall. But don't find them on ebay. Any help there?
    Thanks again
    JR
  • i am converting my 2000 cherokee sport to 4wd. i am putting my transfer case in and it has the 2wd option the 4wpart time option, neutral and 4wlo option, but the shifter that i have found has 2wfull time in the display so my question is is there a diference between a shifter with 4wfull time and one with out as far as where the notch stops the shifter from going to neutral?
  • obriend21obriend21 Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport with 50,000 miles on it. As I was washing it this weekend (70 degrees in Ohio) I noticed that there were numerous cracks in the paint on the roof. Two of them were so bad that the paint flaked off when I washed, leaving two dime-sized rust spots. The Jeep is garaged (at home and at work) and I always wash it during the winter to keep the salt off.

Is this a common problem with Jeeps? And is there any way to get the factory to pay for a new paint job? Four and a half years and 50000 seems unacceptable for paint to be bad!

Any help would be appreciated. Other than that, I love the Cherokee!
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    I have noticed the same "slip" recently and don't know what's causing it. Doesn't do it all the time either. '99 Sport 4x4, 70,000 miles. I need to crawl under and look at the rear drive shaft. But, I don't have any vibrations. I'm thinking it may be a computer/vacuum issue. If I find out more I'll post it.
  • ohiojrohiojr Posts: 3
    Thanks Dancerman,
    I just picked up a VERY Cherry 97 Lincoln Towncar with only 71,000 miles. The Original owner traded it in for a new one to the Dealership where ALL The service was done. The point to all this is that now the Lincoln will be daily driver ( 100 miles each way to work)and I can work on the jeep. So If I come up with anything I'll let you know also.
    JR
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    Do you have the NP231 transfer case? Sounds like it from your description. Is that "display" the section of the console around the shifter? If so, I'd try to find one that shows the correct selections. I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know my neighbors Grand Cherokee with the AWD option does not shift the same as my '01 Cherokee Sport. Which by the way, has the NP231 transfer case.
  • cperrycperry Posts: 1
    I am needing to replace the "Heater,Defroster & Air Conditioning" blower motor on my 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0. My mechanic has been able to find the blower motor, but can't locate a "resistor". Also need to replace a switch, as is now working only on high. Is there a way I can find a part # for the things I am looking for? That would make it easier for me to locate the parts.
  • nikki97nikki97 Posts: 1
    I actually own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado and have had nothing but problems with my coolng system. Less than a year ago i had to replace my relay because my fan quit working and now I have a new problem where the fan won't shut off. I have been told by a mechanic that it is a very common jeep problem. Each time i have to replace the relay it costs 95.00 so im going to have a toggle switch put in this time. I was hoping i could find something online to tell me how to do it myself.
  • tommy15tommy15 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my first jeep cherokee 1985 4cyl 3speed w/overdrive on the floor, the red alternator light
    came on so i replaced the alternator but when i started it
    the alt light was still on so i disconected the battery
    terminal to see if it was charging,it was. "any suggestions :confuse:
    Have you checked the voltage?
  • To whom anyone who can help,

I recently bought a 98 jeep cherokee and have been having a reoccurring problem. In first gear going to take off and up to 20-30 mph the jeep almost skips or refuses to go. There is a cutting out if you will in the gas. In order to go you have to feather the gas until it catches. If you keep the gas press you can here a popping noise in the front end. When your stopped in idle the engine will idle rough then rev up hard then return to normal idle. The cutting out does not happen in the higher gears. The O2 sensors have both been replaced.( when idleing the engine light comes on and its the o2 sensor code, eventually going away ) The fuel pump has been replaced. The throttle control switch and Idle air control have been replaced. The throttle body has been replaced. I had the computer upgraded. I've run injector cleaner through a number of times. I have changed all plugs wires cap and rotor even battery. I NEED HELP !!!!!!! I see that other people have the same problem but no one has found the cure. I need a maricle ....
  • kathyg1kathyg1 Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a '96 Cherokee Sport with 112,000 miles on it. After a few repairs lately, it runs like a charm, still looks good and I love my car!! Yesterday, I had it at the repair shop for a new thermostat and the mechanic told me when I picked it up that he was obligated to tell me that it needs a new catalytic converter. I became aware in January that Jeep will soon be recalling vehicles for bad catalytic converters all the way back to my model. One of the many press releases about it can be found here: link title. My question is; Can I get it replaced ahead of time (for free) at the dealership? It is really rattling and the mechanic says the rest of the exhaust system is in good shape. Or, should I wait for the recall notice? According to the USEPA, they should be going out within the next 30-60 days. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!
  • sbond67sbond67 Posts: 2
    check vaccum wires and fire order of the new plug wires. but most likely its the ignition coil.
  • I have an '87 cherokee and have had it about 2 weeks now with now problems. Today I was driving home and it misfired once and quit doing it and I didn't understand it. Then a few minutes later it seemed like the whole engine just shut off for a split second. I've never heard of a misfire that shut of f the engine, it has a new fuel pump, wires, plug, coil, distributer. I don't know what else to try. Someone said the computer?? But I don't know help me please.
  • I did manage to find a broken vacume line near the battery. I test drove and it didnt happen I hope to god that was it ( I dont think I have the heart to tell the mechanic if thats it he's blown ALOT of cash ) If this is actually it ill update THANKS BIG TIME :)
  • sbond67sbond67 Posts: 2
    no problem, hope thats it.
  • well it didnt work. Better but not gone.. Im also still having problems with the 02 sensor both have been replaced and the alarm is reoccuring . theyll clear it and a day or two latter after the car has bee sitting and idling it will pop back on. could this be related to the hesitation.
    I now notice it in all gears not as bad but still there
  • mkrakemkrake Posts: 6
    I love my 97 Jeep. It's the first car i've ever owned! But i just got the news it blew a head gasket maybe cracked the block. :sick: How much will a head gasket cost? Does automatic trans and 4x4 make this more or less difficult... i.e. costly? How much would a total engine repair cost? Does it also need 02 sensor, radiator, fan, thermestat, etc? It has 150K, no other problems, and it's my baby. Please please please help this Jeep girl out!
  • i recently purcured a 1995 cherokee. i have a squeak in the frontend.when i turn left & right what is the problem. :sick:
    I agree that it is probably in the ignition system. I don't understand why it's not showing a code for the misfires though. Continue to check for vacuum leaks as they can have a large impact at low engine speeds and will cause it to hesitate, but once the engine is up to speed, they seem to disappear. Check the timing. Just from your description I think you could have too much timing. The spark plugs firing too soon would cause the backfiring through the intake manifold at low engine speeds, but then it would smooth out at higher engine speeds. The emissions sticker under the hood will tell you how much timing you should have.

Keep us updated.
    It does sound electrical in nature. It could be the computer. You should be able to find one at a local salvage yard or on ebay for not too much money. Check your other sensors as well. Any one of the MAP, TPS, or CPS could cause these symptoms as well. Also, with the engine running, wiggle the wiring harness. You could have a short in a connection or even a broken wire that separates under certain conditions.
    Ouch!!! First off, hopefully the head is cracked and not the block, but it could be. The head gasket itself is not too expensive. The auto tranny and 4wd shouldn't affect any repair cost as the engine is the same. I'm in the process of rebuilding a '96 Cherokee 6-cylinder for transplanting into my '95 Wrangler. My block, cam, valve train, head, pistons, etc... are all in good shape. So all I'm having to do is replace the rings, bearings and gaskets, of course. I've had to buy a few tools, but I will have a little less than $300 in this rebuild. Of course I don't have to pay for labor. Just Wild A$$ Guessing it, I'd say a complete rebuild at a professional garage should be in the $1,500 to $2,000 range. I do know that professionally rebuilt complete engines can be purchased for under $1,500 online.

While you are in there, I'd suggest replacing any other parts that are easy to get at while the engine is already apart/out. The radiator is a good candidate. They can be purchased for about $150 and wouldn't take 10 minutes to replace it while the engine is out.

But I do have this question: Why did it blow the head gasket in the first place? Did it overheat? Or did it blow without warning?
    Well, we need more details. Is it squeaking only as you turn the steering wheel? Does it squeak all the time the wheels are turned, then stop when the wheels are straightened? Does it do it only when the Jeep is moving? And does it make different sounds at different speeds? Does it only make that sound when going over a bump?
    Thank for the post! Yes, the jeep was overheating and leaking coolant at 150K with no other problems. so we thought it was the water pump. then the head blew up on a steep mountian grade in Western North Carolina.

i just got quoted 275 for head gasket and 1400 for engine without labor. is this fair? is there anyone in you know with a used engine for sale? thanks!
  • cojocojo Posts: 1
    THANKS. I was wondering too! Here's another question:

When I turn my steering wheel side to side (engine off or engine on) I hear a clunk-clunk and can feel it with my foot if I place it on the (driver side) floorboard. What is it? It seems to drive fine, but everytime I turn I hear it and can feel it with my left food on the floorboard. It's WIERD.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • Well here I sut again eyes a fire from hours of searching for the maricle :) It goes in tommorrow and I will have the timing as well as the grounding to the 02 sensors checked also the main ground to the engine is pretty worn. I will replace. I am so glad for WARRANTIES. Ill keep tabs in a day or so WISH ME LUCK MAN !!! THANKS again for all the input... :confuse:
    Yeah, I've got one sitting in the garage right now just waiting to be put back together!! But of course, you're in NC and I'm in KY.

The prices you were quoted aren't too bad. The $275 for the head gasket probably doesn't include any other problems encountered when the head is removed, such as a cracked head or block. Replacing the head gasket on that engine is a very simple procedure, however it's labor intensive.

The $1,400 quote for the engine is a replacement engine? Replacing an engine is more involved than just the head gasket replacement and it is still very labor intensive. However, if the rest of the Jeep is still in very good shape and your motor has other damage from overheating, you COULD be better off with the new engine.

I don't know your mechanical abilities or your workspace facilities. If it were me, and money doesn't grow on trees around here, I'd go the head gasket route first.

Good luck. And BTW: That 4.0 liter 6 cylinder you have in your Jeep is a great engine. I know of several with over 200k miles, and even a couple with over 350k miles on them and they are still going strong. I like that motor so much, I drive an '01 Cherokee Sport and my wife drives an '04 Grand Cherokee, both with that 6 cylinder engine. And as mentioned earlier, I'm puting one in the '95 Wrangler. That's how much faith I have in it.
    Do you know of anyone else with a 6cyl 4.0 engine for a jeep cherokee around? Lexington Ky is about 4 hours or so from my NC location. Knoxville is about 1hr. anyone that can help? i'm looking to do this right away... :)
    Sorry, I can't say as I do. If I get a chance, I'll see what I can dig up online. Do a search on ebay for "Jeep 4.0" and see what comes up.
    Here's a good one. Comes with a warranty and is in NC!!! I hope you see this one in time.

link title