Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    A friend of mine has a '93 Cherokee Sport with 223k miles on it. He had to put in a new engine and ignition at around 210k. It's still going strong, with a recent new cd player installed and new liberator tires. Tranny is still very strong. Some problems that have arisen is the AC no longer functions, the driver's seat back broke, and when opening the driver door, it caught on the front fender panel and bent it in. This also bent the door downward, so even though the seals are excellent, it leaks during heavy rain and god forbid you take it through a carwash. I then turns into a driver wash. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do to fix these issues and make this car as good as new? The drivers seat can be bent back forward, but if one leans on it even the slightest amount, it starts bends right back again. I'd have to say go to a junkyard and find a replacement on that one, but who knows, you Jeep guys may have some other ideas. Also, any ideas on how to fix the door and fender? The fender is pushed in quite a ways...and the door is noticably lower in front than in the back where it latches. Thanks for any input.
    I personally don't own a Jeep, but I wish I did. Another friend of mine has an '01 Sport in that gorgeous and rare "Amber Fire" orange color. She hasn't any a single problem out of it in nearly 30k miles. More than I can say for the '99 Explorer I settled for. Oh well, to each his own!
  • bpanbpan Posts: 5
    Hi,

Got opportunity to buy a 2001 Cherokee Limited 4Door 2WD from company fleet, under 70K mile for less 7K. There is no accident or major repair from its maintenace history. What I should looking for during my test drive? Any recommended checkup? Else...? Thanks.
  • ray hray h Posts: 120
    Will the door open at all? Try it from the inside and the outside. This sounds like a problems related to child safety locks.
    My 99 Cherokee will only go into 4 wheel low when the tranny is in neutral and the vehicle is stopped. The engine must be running.
    Last Friday I took my 99 Cherokee Limited to the gas station filled it up with gas closed the door and the interior lights stayed on. Drove home and the lights were still on. I checked all the doors, the hatch, tried locking and unlocking with the factory remote entry and by using the locking mechanisms on the door. All was to no avail. Took it to the local Jeep dealer. I waited 2 hours for them to look at it and the lights had gone out. Took the Jeep home and Saturday it did the same thing. Checked every fuse inside the vehicle and none are for the interior lights. Finally found a fuse under the hood that turns off the lights but also turns off the remote entry. That seems to reset the interior lights but they continue to get stuck on and I have to pull this fuse and start over. Since this happened I have noticed the lights don't dim when going out but just go off all at once. This vehicle had the "opera dimming" feature.
    Does anyone out there know if there is a relay or switch for the dimmer under the hood, or anywhere else, or know the cause of this problem.
  • I've got a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4wd with 126,000 miles on it. Just recently it's started overheating while it's idling or driving slow. If I can get up to a higher speed it will cool back down. Isn't really using coolant. I had the thermostat and water pump replaced this winter and haven't had this problem before.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Posts: 202
    I'm not sure when they added a second cooling fan but my 99 Cherokee has a second cooling fan powered by the electrical system in addition to the traditional fan that runs off the engine pully. This second fan kicks in frequently when I am stopped at a stoplight. You might want to check to see if you have two fans and whether both of them are working. I'm pretty sure the second fan is controlled by a temperature swith. I've noticed it's kicks on when the temp rises to the center of my temperature gauge on the dash. It cycles on and off frequently. Hope this helps.
  • mhall02mhall02 Posts: 38
    As mentioned above the newer Cherokees have dual cooling fans, my 2000 has the belt driven and electric and its a good combination during idle time or stuck in traffic. With that kind of milage and age, is it the original radiator? Without proper flushing every two or three years, you may have a plugged up radiator. The old style like in my '78 Ford pickup could be rodded out, but I don't know if you can have this process done with the newer kind. You can try having a radiator flushing done by a Jiffy Lube like place or a professional radiator shop, but it may need a new radiator. It sounds like you have had this vehicle long enough to know what is a 'hot' reading for this vehicle. I was amazed when my 2000 Sport was new it would run around 190-200 according to the gauge, my other vehicles did not run as hot, but this appears to be a normal range for the Jeep Cherokees.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Posts: 82
    I have a Manual 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4wd 4 door. I have recently noticed oil (I believe engine oil, because not red). it is coming through the holes in my sway bar under the jeep that connects the left and right side about front seat BACK distance.

I have been given the suggestion of a valve cover gasket (not leaking) and I checked around the oil filter in case of a sloppy job no signs of new oil. As another note there seems to be NO new oil on the bell housing of the transmittion, looking from the top.

Any suggestions on what it could be?
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    hi everyone. looking at a basic SUV. have always liked the old school Cherokees. have always had Wrangers in the family including an 04 Sport.

anyway, on the 2000 and 2001 Cherokees - are their any differences between the two? looking at 4 liter automatics? are the automatic in the Cherokees that same crappy 3 speeds in the Wranglers from the same years?

how are the 2000-2001 Cherokees holding up? i know they are full of rattles and noise, but are the mechanical components holding up? i saw on MSN that those years have Camshaft Sensor issues? anyone experienced that?

buying a 2000 or 2001 is scary - no warranty.

anything specific to have checked out? why are they so rare with ABS???

all of the V6 models can tow a light boat or jetski no prob, right?

THANKS for your advice!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Very little difference between the '00 and '01's. Mainly options/packaging. I believe the '01 had a different intake or something to help with emissions.

The tranny on the Cherokees is a Aisan-Warner (japanese built) 4-speed auto that is extremely reliable. Not the best shifting thing, but a good package. I bought my '01 new in December of 2000 and sold it with 75k miles in November of 2003. I had very few problems in that amount of time, mainly just drove it and bought gas. I sold it to a neighbor girl, so I see it regularly. She hasn't had any problems with it and last I heard it was approaching 90k miles.

ABS is rare because it was a very expensive option. I'm thinking it was way over $1,000 and only sold as a free-standing option so no package discounts. When my dealer was searching, there was only a couple withing 200 miles that had ABS.

The 4.0L will easily haul a boat/jet ski. It's a very torquey engine and moves pretty well. If you have a hilly area, it won't stay in overdrive much because 4th gear is very tall on these trannys. I towed around 3500# fairly regularly with no issues.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    so models that have between 20k and 40k. they need a 30k service i assume? what fluids should be replaced right away on a used one? oil, transmission, differential?

there are a couple of them at my Jeep dealer, but honestly, don't trust them to tell me exactly everything about the vehicles....
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I don't remember what all is required. The tranny fluid is due either 30k or 60k, transaxle fluid too. Not alot of maintenance on them really. You should be able to find an '01 with some warranty with those miles. Most you'll find at the Jeep dealer are lease returns though, likely 36 month leases (so out of warranty). Most leasors do as little maintenance as possible. You might find a private party sale if you can do that. I avoid dealers if at all possible!
  • mhall02mhall02 Posts: 38
    Our 2000 Sport with the 4.0 Liter and automatic is at 92,000 miles, bought it new in Nov. of 1999 and have had few problems. Change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, drain the transmission pan and transfer case and top off every 30,000 miles, and drained and flushed the radiator twice. The most expensive warranty item so far I have had fixed (have the six year 100,000 mile warranty) is the evaporator coil. I hear that this isn't too uncommon of a problem with the Chrysler products, the evaporator coil for the 134a AC systems is much thinner than the old R12 units, thinner metal = more likely get a hole in it for whatever reason, would have been in excess of $700 w/o the warranty ($300 part + labor). The AW-4 automatic is solid, whines a little now and then (always has) but I don't think this is uncommon, shifts great. Great power out of the 4.0 inline six, gas milage is 16 city 20 stricly highway, very pleased with this vehicle and plan to have it till it drops.
  • I bought and drove a '90 Laredo for 6 months before buying a '95 Country. The Laredo has been parked in my garage for 2 months. Now that I have decided to sell the Laredo, it has some sort of electrical problem.

It starts up and runs fine, however the voltage meter is low. When the AC is turned on, the voltage gets lower. If the headlights are turned on, the voltage will decrease until the Jeep dies and has to be jump started. The battery and alternator have been tested, and both are good. What else could be causing this problem?
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    A friend of mine has a '93 Sport, and on his way home tonight, when going up a small hill, his Jeep quit accelerating, and just as he crested the hill, he lost power steering, and the a bit later, his power brakes...he used the emergency brake to slow down and pull over on the side of the road, and once he got down to a crawl, the engine died. He turned the key off, and then started it back up, and didn't have any other problems for the remainder of the drive home. My guess is either something in the fuel line or the computer. What do ya'll think?
  • Thanks for the info about the dual fans. I believe that was the problem. Replaced the temperature sensor but I think the on/off switch is the culprit. Bypassing the problem at the moment by driving with the fan turned on. I guess my Cherokee is at that age where a lot of stuff is coming up. Now I'm having a stalling problem. Started cutting out at highway speeds, now doing it more often. Got a check engine light flash code of 32 which indicates the EGR valve but the '95 Cherokee doesn't have an EGR valve. Anybody know what the 32 code means on a '95 Cherokee or what replaced the EGR valve on that model?
  • You might visit our Technical Questions discussion to see if one of our technically-gifted members knows what that code could mean.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• donsaddonsad Posts: 1
    I recently bought this vehicle. Can any one tell me how the alarm works. Turn off an on, adjust chirps, horn blowing etc...
  • maybe it's the voltage regulator