Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• sscottisscotti Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I think also has a problem with the heater core. I have water leaking into the passenger side fairly contantly and a mechanic told me it might be from the core. Do you have any other info on how to fix it? I noticed that you buy the part pretty cheap on the net, but most of the cost must be for labor.
  • ili_93ili_93 Posts: 1
    I am experiencing something similar with my 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4. Not overheating, but low oil pressure. My mechanic said that the cylinder head cracked, causing the radiator fluid to mix with the oil, causing the low pressure. He says it's a defect in the engine, and although rare he has seem it before. Unfortunately, the radiator fluid also leaked into other parts of the engine, and now it needs a new short block. My Jeep has 60K on it, and I have taken very good care of it. I have never towed anything, and get the oil changed regularly. The good news is that it is covered under warranty, as the vehicle was a certified used Jeep with Chryslers 8 year / 80,000 mile powertrain warranty. Hope this helps.
  • ndtommyndtommy Posts: 7
    All of a sudden, the parking lights on the '93 Cherokee Sport won't work. Bulbs are ok....turn signals work. I thought it might be the switch, but the rears go on when the parking light switch is engaged. No fuse that I can see.
    Any ideas?
  • has anyone ever put an audiovox aftermarket cruise control in a 98 cherokee sport? it looks straightforward except for the electical connections to the speedo sensor and tach. how would i find these wires without tearing the dash apart.
    thanks
  • can anyone get me started with taking to dash apart to put in a stereo and replace the fan speed switch? it only works on high. i guess i'll do both while i have the dash apart.
    thanks
    captain dave
  • i'd like to put a 2 - 3 inch lift kit on my 98 sport, but don't want to do anything to damage it? is 2 or three inches enough to put alot of strain on the drive shafts..do i need to use an adapter to lower the transfer case? is this all too much trouble to make it look a little cooler and run slightly bigger tires?
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Why waste your money on something you don't need. Lifts are for those who use their rides off-road. If you don't plan to leave the payment then forget it. Any time you add angle to u-joints you increase the loading and problems can arise. Case adaptors are typically for lifts greater than 3 inches. I wouldn't do it to a street driven Jeep.
  • bushmanbushman Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Jeep Cherokee Sport and today I put the turn signal on and the radio shut off and came back on, the "Check Gauges" idiot light came on and the volt gauge went all the way to 19 (max). The problem seemed to correct itself after I shut it off immediately and restarted it. I've had the blinker reset the radio before without the gauge problem occurring and thought it a fluke or coincidence. Now I know that isn't true.

Also the driver's window makes a grinding noise when fully up or down and won't stop automatically when I use the 'Auto' feature. I opened the door panel and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the thing even works. I have a Chilton's for my old '85 Jeep but it doesn't cover the newer models. The newer Chilton's and Haynes books don't cover the '01 model apparently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • benfegabenfega Posts: 2
    Vehicle first exhibited major hesitation when first starting out and set Check Engine light. In addition, each time it hesitates, it is blowing a 15 amp fuse under the hood. Engine codes pointed to problems with both oxygen sensors so I have replaced both as well as the fuse. Check engine light no longer comes on but vehicle continues major hesitation when first starting out....hesitation goes away after several minutes on the road. Each time the vehicle hesitates, the 15 amp fuse blows out. I am thinking that there is a short somewhere under the hood but I haven't had any luck tracking it down. Any suggestions on what it may be?
  • mcattmcatt Posts: 9
    I'm looking for a 1999-2001 Jeep Cherokee (NOT Grand Cherokee) with a sunroof/moonroof, they're rare but I see one every now and then. Was this a factory option or are they all after-market? Is it possible to retro fit one and not have it look cheesy?
  • dan99dan99 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 cherokee sport and I had the exact same problem today. The lights and stereo go out momentarily and the voltage gauge maxed out. I think the problem may be a short somewhere in the charging system. I have yet to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything on yours. Thanks
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Wasn't an option in 2001. I've got the 2001 catalog here from when I bought mine and there's no sunroof listed anywhere. Not sure I've seen a '99-'01 with one either. They seemed to really de-content these the last few years they made them. I remember seeing an earlier model limited with a factory sunroof. I would think a good aftermarket shop could put you in a nice one that would look good. Most can match the interior colors and everything.
  • dan99dan99 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 cherokee sport and I had the exact same problem today. The lights and stereo go out momentarily and the voltage gauge maxed out. I think the problem may be a short somewhere in the charging system. I have yet to figure it out. Let me know if you find anything on yours. Thanks
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I have a friend who has a '00 Sport that has a power sunroof. I Test drove a '99 that had a sunroof. Both were aftermarkets. A factory sunroof was not an option on these, but as mentioned above, the aftermarkets look pretty good. My friend's '00 doesn't have a sunshade, but the '99 I drove did, however headroom was GREATLY decreased with the sunroof, and the headliner appeared stretched on the one with the sunshade. One option I'd love to see on a 4 door sport is a 5 speed manual. I've only seen/drove one of them, and I kicked myself for not buying it. The automatic is very good though.
    Yes, check the headroom with a sunroof. I barely had enough headroom to be comfortable in my '01 (practically had to lay the seat-back down). In addition, if you're tall like me, take one for a good drive. I never felt the seat went back far enough to accomodate my legs. I loved my XJ, but it was not comfortable at all and mainly why I sold it to a friend after only 2.5 years and 70k miles. As Car and Driver reported, the front seat feels like a Kmart sofa. It would probably be fine for someone not driving as much as I was though.
  • benfegabenfega Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Cherokee Sport that had the same exact problem last Fall. The problem is that your battery doesn't have a good connection causing the charging system to overcharge to compensate. Clean the terminals on the battery with a wire brush along with the clamps on the end of the battery cables and this should fix your problem. Good luck!
  • mcattmcatt Posts: 9
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the legroom/headroom for sure (I'm 6'3). I wonder if it would be possible to find a shop that could/would move the driver seat tracks back 2-3"?
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I'm 6'1" and my hair rubbed the headliner, which annoyed me. Otherwise really liked the Jeep. But went with an Explorer instead, without the sunroof. That was 2 years ago, and now I'm even considering getting rid of it in favor of a Toyota Tundra, lol.

I have 3 friends who own Cherokees. A '93, a '00 and an '01. All 3 love their Jeeps. The '93 has nearly 230k miles and still going strong. The '00 has about 70k and the '01 has 40k. I don't think the '01 has had any problems, but the front passenger side fender flare fell off of the '00 as she was going down the interstate. I've seen other jeeps missing the same fender flare, is that a common issue?
    I don't know about moving the seats. I actually looked at transplanting a set of leather limited seats into mine because the power seat is much more comfy and goes back further. They're very hard to find though. Not many limiteds were built the last few years.
  • broneybroney Posts: 3
    Want to replace old yellow headlights with new ones. How do you get the old ones out ? Thax