Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• Is this Jeep lifted? If so, then that's the cause of the body roll. When the center of gravity is raised, then any body roll gets exaggerated. If it's stock height, first off make sure the sway bars(anti-roll bars) are still connected. There's one on each axle. It's entirely possible one has come loose without you knowing it. If the sway bars are all connected and the frame mounts are good and tight, then I'd suggest new shock absorbers. A good set of shocks will help to control body roll. My '01 corners very well considering it's a 4x4.

Do you have anything mounted on the roof rack? Or any other item not from the factory mounted higher than the floor? Also, what is your point of perspective? Meaning, what kind of vehicles are you accustomed to driving?
  • I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the ac fan rarely comes on so in the heat the Jeep will overheat. I can not use the AC or it will cause the car to overheat but if I leave the ac off I have no problems. I have been given every reason why this could happen from many different mechanics. Could this be the thermostat or the blower itself. Someone please help. I know I can fix it if i know what is wrong with it.
  • What are the reasons you have been given for overheating? If the auxillary fan doesn't come on without the A/C then find out why. If it does overheats with the aux.fan on then I'd suspect the radiator internals are partly plugged or have corrosion that impedes heat transfer. It could be a water pump that doesn't pump enough coolant but I'd bet on plugged radiator.
  • This was happening to my "94 cherokee ,it would just die in the middle of driving down the road. In this case, it was the Crank Shaft Sensor which needed to be replaced.
  • Whenever I use the heat feature, my jeep gets lurching hiccups. It feels like something is seizing, but only for a moment.
  • why cant i use a hose to syphon the gas out of my 2000 jeep cherokee. seems like i get the hose down in there and it stops like there is a block there or something.
    is it a anti-fuel theft devic :P e?
  • It sounds to me like the crank shaft position sensor. It happened to me with a 90 Cherokee Laredo few times when I first got it. It is only $50 and should fix it.
  • Crank sensor costs about 60.00. It is on the back of the transmission bell housing on the top left side as you are facing the back of the transmission.A 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a very long extension(s) are helpful.
    Good luck,David
  • Check replies on post # 2083.
  • about a year ago my jeep got broken into and the broke the glove compartment box off so I took it to a local jeep body shop for them to replace the glove compartment they told me they couldn't just replace that part they had to replace the whole, so I went ahead an let them do so. Well my insurance agent came to look at my vechile (long story) and he noticed that my VIN number was missing from the front of the windshield, it looks to me that there is a place in the dashboard itself where this should be located. Well I called the place that put it in and they are trying to tell me that when it got broken into they stole the VIN number and they are also saying the front windshield had to be replace sometime or another. So they say they need a copy of the police report showing the VIN number got stolen and About a year ago my jeep got broken into and the broke the glove compartment box off so I took it to a local jeep body shop for them to replace the glove compartment they told me they couldn't just replace that part they had to replace the whole thing dash and all, so I went ahead an let them do so. Well my insurance agent came to look at my vehicle (long story) and he noticed that my VIN number was missing from the front of the windshield, it looks to me that there is a place in the dashboard itself where this should be located. Well I called the place that put it in and they are trying to tell me that when it got broken into they stole the VIN number and they are also saying the front windshield had to be replacing sometime or another and I tell them that I . So they say they need a copy of the police report showing the VIN number got stolen and I keep telling them it did not get stolen. The only think I can think is that when they took the old dashboard out that they forgot to take the VIN number off it and put it onto the new one so my question is.
    1. Where is the VIN number located on the vehicle (in the spot that is cut out in the dashboard or not).
    2. Please tell me that I am right that no one is going to take time to still a VIN number when the car is parked out in the open in daylight.
    3. What should I do?
    :mad
  • Hello everybody, I own a 1994 2.5l 4 Cyl. 4x2 Jeep Cherokee, it has nice 166000+ miles and i guess the time for many problems has come, last week i made 3 repairings, TPS(acceleration sensor), the air conditioner valve, and the IAC (if that's the name in jeep language or air admission??), now, the last time i plugged the scanner, a new problem, injector 1 is failing, i put in the tank a NOS injector cleaner and lots of prays (lol), but i guess it's time to spend money in my beloved jeep, in the last 3 months i'm abusing it, i'm driving 5 days a week 62 miles, guess it's telling me to calm down :cry: , 12 years are not for free... I serviced it 3 months ago, injector cleaning, filters, fluids, etc.
    Now the question, the order of the problems, IAC--TPS--Injector sounds normal to you? what's next? if i can be ahead of the next problem.. :sick:
  • laddealaddea Posts: 13
    I have '00 JGCL 4x4 4.7L

I have been experiencing that same issues!
    So frustrating absolutely nothing make since about this issue. When it happens it just happens, it's not like every time I get to half a tank of gas, or hit 45miles per hour, or turn the air on... It doesn't seem to matter, I've been looking for a possible connection and haven't found anything.

I have replaced all my relays, checked all my grounds, vacuum hoses, replaced the cam-shaft, and crank-shaft position sensors.
    I took it to the shop after all that and they think it's my PCM, seems to be the answer every time they don't know what else the problem is.
    One thing to add though, is when I check my codes a bunch of them pop up to include: 7 of my 8 injectors are popping a code for misfire, the camshaft sensor is popping a code, my fuel sending unit is popping a code also.
    Since they want nearly $1000.00 parts and labor for a PCM I'm inclined to try a couple of other things first.
    I know my fuel pump is old and my sending unit is shot so I'm going to replace those items along with the filter.
    I'll follow that with a pressure test to make sure every things good to go. Now this may not fix my big problem since most likely any of these components being faulty would cause a pretty regular problem and this big problem is very intermittent but unignorable. I'll replace my PCV valve retest my new camshaft and crankshaft sensors to make sure they're still functioning properly (if either of them aren't then I can start looking at what would cause them to go bad since they are new they would otherwise be fine)And finally top ot off with a spark plug and wire change. If that doesn't work I'll continue through the Emmsions and Engine control systems replacing applicable relays & sensors ie. throttle pos. sensor, rear wheel speed sensor, ect... :sick: After that I'll be out of ideas and low on money so hopefully someone will have some other suggestions or I'll look forward to a reply from rherndon saying he found the problem it was cheap and should fix your problem too!! :shades: If I could be so lucky... Thanks for reading folks and I look forward to hearing from you.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I'm in negotiations to buy a 96 Cherokee Country with less than 40 thousand miles. It's mint, stored indoors and underused. Turns out the (original) owners have never even engaged the 4WD! A seasonal family roadtrip vacation once a year for 10 years.

Would I be a fool to just pop this 10 year old virgin into 4WD? Any recommended checks first?

I haven't had a mechanic look it over yet. Other than the tires, this thing is CHERRY. I'm so hoping to pick it up.

Thanks for any advice.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Hey all, hope you can help: I changed the oil on my 4.0 liter on Sunday; noticed that the oil pressure gauge is now at zero. Put in mobil 1 syn.

I've heard that I could have popped out the gauge when replacing the filter. Is this a common occurrence? I must hve driven at least 30 miles on the truck since the incident. If there were no pressure, would the engine have blown up by now, or is it probably the gauge? Any thoughts? Thanks so much

Charley
  • When I start the engine, it runs strong, but when I start revving it, smoke starts to come out of the PCV valve and oil starts spitting out of the dipstick. I replaced the PCV valve and dipstick with no luck. When I start driving oil starts to squirt out of the valve cover (i replaced the gasket). and after about 10 min. of driving the car starts to smoke bad enough that I can't drive it. Also, I've felt the coolant after driving and its ice cold (i'm thinking locked thermo.) but would that cause the other problems? also it doesnt have the horsepower taht it used to. Any ideas?
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Way too much confusion. :(
  • ryan99ryan99 Posts: 46
    Hey there, just back from the dealer with my 99 Cherokee limited, 90,000 relatively trouble free miles...had an AC condenser replaced because of an awful grinding noise for $865 plus a leaking steering damper for $235 and I got the usaul update of what is leaking and seaping...I take pretty decent care of the Jeep and keep up with all fluids. I have looked around and feel that the price I paid for the work done was OK for a dealer, but they quoted me at $1,100 for a cracked exhaust manifold....anyone had one done? I am wondering if it can be done much cheaper otherwise...doing it myself is not out of question as I have I rebuilt an engine from a 71 Buick and may be able to handle this job as it is old technology....thanks for any help
  • The MSRP on the manifold is about $350. You can get it cheaper online. If you have rebuilt an engine, there is no reason not to do this job yourself.
    thanks Dancerman. I'm thinking that I am gonna do this one myself, but I have to rely on this vehicle everyday...the 71 Buick I don't have to...anything Jeep specific I should know about this job before I undertake it?
  • Because you will be removing most of the left side of the engine, it will be helpful to label or somehow mark all the vacuum and electrical connections to insure you get it back together properly. I like the digital camera to record the disassembly.
    okay thanks for the advice...i will use the camera, thats a great idea. I'll let you know how it goes
  • On my 1995 jeep cherokee 4 cyl. 2.5 the oil pressure idiot light keeps glowing and pulsating with the rpms. Three different oil sending units produce same results the last coming from a jeep dealership. all body grounds have been checked., oil filter replaced and oil pressure has been checked and ok'd at 60 psi. can all these sending units be bad?
  • Check the wire, leading to the sending unit, to see if it has bare wire showing. If so, tape it up. If the current from the wire is jumping to anything metal near it (ie. manifold, dipstick tube, etc.), it will cause it to flicker. See if you can zip tie it to something away from these metal objects. This same situation happened on my '93 Cherokee, 4.0 and this took care of the problem.
  • My entire ignition is totally locked. The keys wont move at all. We did everything the manual said to do, and it is still locked. Any ideas!!!!
  • That is so strange. Def. call the dealership if you havent already figured it out.
    You may need to get your key cylinder replaced. Occasionally, they are defective.

tidester, host